AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Offended fellow model?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2017
South Carolina
Twitter Username
@0veniym0
Chaturbate Username
veniym
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/1000292825/Veniym/
So I recently sort of upset another model that I am on good terms with when I suggested to them that I try out something that worked for them while they were camming. Short and to the point here, is it crossing the line sometimes if a model does something that works and then I try to do something similar (with my own twist on it of course)? I sort of felt that ethically, there was enough money to go around for us all, but I rather not cross any lines and lose friends over a few bucks. Also not going to lie, my whole career is built on getting ideas from other cammers then trying it out in my own shows... Uh am I a piece of shit?

This is business. As long as you paraphrase by putting your own spin on it, competition is always expected. It can be tacky if done wrong or connivingly (not sure that's a word..) but if you asked before and got permission then I think it's fine.

But really, at the end of the day, ideas will always be recycled- if not by you, someone else. Business is a dog eat dog world. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Short and to the point here, is it crossing the line sometimes if a model does something that works and then I try to do something similar (with my own twist on it of course)?

The important part is that you put your own spin on it so you're not directly copying. The nature of this industry is that if something works for one model, others will inevitably imitate that. Outright copying is frowned upon, but making the idea your own is seen as acceptable.

I mean I dont see the issue if you try to make it your own. I have good friends that are also cam girls and we all copy each other's ideas because ultimately all of our cam shows are different (different styles, bodies, preferences, etc). I get my ideas from learning from other cam girls!

sounds to me like they see you more as competition more than a friend. maybe im too fucking nice, but i encourage my camfriends to try things that worked for me. i want to see them succeed too. personally, i don't care if models copy me or pull inspiration from anything i do. i've been doing it too. WE ALL DO IT.

you can always source where you got the idea. when a model suggests something to me that works, i always recommend that customers go check out the master.

i think your friend needs to lighten up. maybe learn to be more secure in their hustle, so they wouldn't feel threatened?

Last edited:
I think cam and clip making is kind of weird because there's people out there that produce or cam exactly word for word as another cam model- and that's fucked up for sure. But it's like, there's only so many ideas out there. Not every Slutty Maid video is copying, you know? It's when you go out, buy the exact same outfit, put the same ruffle in it, do your hair and make up the same that eyebrows need to be raised. Not raising for them just for making something that sounds like something someone else made because there's at least 1,000 before that.

I wouldn't tell them to lighten up because that's the worst thing to do when someone is mad at you, but why are they so angry over you wanting to do better?

The important part is that you put your own spin on it so you're not directly copying. The nature of this industry is that if something works for one model, others will inevitably imitate that. Outright copying is frowned upon, but making the idea your own is seen as acceptable.
Yeah, I mean I felt like it was very different from their show - just the costume idea was the same. I think based on what everyone is saying here maybe we're not as "friendly" as I thought. And that's ok really.

• Hugs
Reactions: AudriTwo
Uh am I a piece of shit?
Wow, no. And that person was probably never your friend to begin with if that's how they made you feel about it. Everything we do is derivative of things that have already been done. Even if it isn't, the chances that you could have a 100% unique and new idea are, well, small. Rule 34 and all. Creativity is great! But even the most creative people can be compared to those who came before them.

Are there instances in which it's clear that someone has straight up copied an idea from someone else? Sure. Is it fair to put your own spin on an idea and use it as your own? Yep. I don't think those things are the same at all. The fact that you are concerned about it tells me that you won't be doing the first one.

I wouldn't worry. Truly original ideas in camland are like gold-dust now and there's a very good chance that your model friend wasn't the first to do whatever it is that you now want to do yourself. That said, both tipping for Lovesense/OhMiBod/whatever-they're-called, and public cum shows at the end of a countdown were my original ideas and any cam girl using these ideas without my express permission owes me big.

I second what a lot are saying about her being your 'friend' that or, she doesn't realize that there really is enough to go around and she shouldn't feel so threatened.

I never understood how people get so upset over shows having similar qualitys or likeness.
If something works then it is very likely that someone else will try and make it work for themselves as well.
That is how it goes in traditional businesses and I don't see why camming would be any different.

As long as you put your own spin on it then I don't see why not go for it.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
The whole "this person is copying me so I'm going to be mad" has always annoyed me, not even just in camming. Do they hold the copyright on whatever it is? No? Then they need to cool it. Unless you're lifting an exact name, product, or idea then there is nothing wrong with using others as an influence.

I don't know the exact situation or idea that your friend had, but most of the time when I see people whining about this it turns out "their" idea wasn't even an original thought. If someone gets mad because someone else is trying what they saw was working, then they need to get off their high horse and realize that's how innovation and competition within an industry happens. If someone thinks their idea is that original then they need to go through the process of obtaining the rights to that idea like anyone else in the business. And honestly, I haven't heard a complaint one that would even remotely qualify. Tell your friend to get the stick out of his/her ass, it's petty and selfish.

This is coming from someone who has actually successfully sued over someone else stealing my content and using it for profit. It was a recording that I owned the rights to. If it's something like that then no, you can't directly lift people's work.

EDIT: I just saw above that this is over a costume? I'm going to assume it's cosplay, because that seems to be the most popular type of costume. Cosplayers are already using someone else's work so I roll my eyes any time one of them complains about someone else doing the same cosplay.

Last edited:
The whole "this person is copying me so I'm going to be mad" has always annoyed me, not even just in camming. Do they hold the copyright on whatever it is? No? Then they need to cool it. Unless you're lifting an exact name, product, or idea then there is nothing wrong with using others as an influence.

I don't know the exact situation or idea that your friend had, but most of the time when I see people whining about this it turns out "their" idea wasn't even an original thought. If someone gets mad because someone else is trying what they saw was working, then they need to get off their high horse and realize that's how innovation and competition within an industry happens. If someone thinks their idea is that original then they need to go through the process of obtaining the rights to that idea like anyone else in the business. And honestly, I haven't heard a complaint one that would even remotely qualify. Tell your friend to get the stick out of his/her ass, it's petty and selfish.

This is coming from someone who has actually successfully sued over someone else stealing my content and using it for profit. It was a recording that I owned the rights to. If it's something like that then no, you can't directly lift people's work.

EDIT: I just saw above that this is over a costume? I'm going to assume it's cosplay, because that seems to be the most popular type of costume. Cosplayers are already using someone else's work so I roll my eyes any time one of them complains about someone else doing the same cosplay.
It got started because they used a black light during their show, so I did the same thing a few months later.

It got started because they used a black light during their show, so I did the same thing a few months later.

lol are you for real? this isn't some new shit. models have been doing blacklight shows since the late 90's. someone needs to get off their creativity high horse.

I used to do a lot of blacklight shows in 2014, HOW DARE YOU STEAL FROM ME! /s

Seriously, blacklight shows are common, definitely not this person's original idea. Ignore them because they're being dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.