AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Post your daily speed sketch

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a bit of a hiatus from drawing for a while, due to burnout, but now I'm getting back to work. I don't want this thread to get buried and die, so here's some sketchbook work, getting a handle on how to draw the main character of my current comic project.

Anna Headshots.jpg

So I’m still reworking the composition of the sketch but yeah this took about 20 mins..... most of which was trying to get things positioned right and trying to figure out anatomy
7D5981A7-38A1-43CD-AE94-D613C6BA4F23.png

So I’m still reworking the composition of the sketch but yeah this took about 20 mins..... most of which was trying to get things positioned right and trying to figure out anatomy
View attachment 80099

Cute!

If you have any recommended resource on how to draw facial expressions, I'd love to know.

I have to admit that I haven't really sought out instructional resources for this kind of stuff for a long time (which is pretty evident in the sketches I posted) so I don't have anything specific I can recommend offhand. I will say, as with a lot of drawing technique, cartoonists do it best. If you want to understand how expressions are broken down into a recognizable abstract shorthand, then a quick search for a term like "cartooning facial expressions" yields an absolute bounty of references with different approaches and styles.

More than that, it's just a matter of observation. How do different cartoonists handle similar expressions? How can you apply that to your own practice? How can you interpret expressions you see out in the world? Where do you find good expressions out in the world?

Lately, I've been trying to get a handle on a few specific "looks" that I want to gravitate toward in my own work, and that has meant studying the work of artists I want to take influence from. For example, lately I've been staring at a lot of Jamie Hewlett's work (of Gorillaz and Tank Girl fame) and I realized the other day that he gets a great caricature effect by simply moving a character's mouth off-center on the face, sliding it around and tilting it to get some great expressions without actually contorting the shape of a character's head. Like the skull is static, and the skin can just slide around it. You can see the same effect with this famous C&H sequence:

yikA5y6rT.jpg

Also, if you want good reference to draw from, use video or film, instead of still photos. Find a good expression, pause it, take a screenshot, and draw from that. An expression in motion is far more naturalistic than an expression that's being held for the benefit of a still photo. If you want to understand how expressions can be amplified, then find clips of actors really chewing the scenery. That's what I did above. Most of those expressions are video reference from one of my favorite scream queens just plain overacting.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Dan Epstein
I am a little worn out of work related threads, so this one is about pure fun. Post your speed sketch that took you up to 20 minutes to make (no photo-shop please). You can add about type of paper/surface and pencil but it's not necessary. I'll start with the first one (don't laugh about it too hard please):View attachment 70735

This is beautiful

Reactions: Dan Epstein
Status
Not open for further replies.