AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Re-Selling Custom Videos on Many Vids / MFC Share? Thoughts?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aayda_Heart

Inactive Cam Model
Dec 17, 2017
Canada
profiles.myfreecams.com
Twitter Username
@AaydaHeart
MFC Username
Aayda_Heart
Streamate Username
AaydaHeart
Chaturbate Username
Aayda_Heart
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/1000722426/AaydaHeart/
Just wondering on what you other models and your members think about re-selling custom photos/videos?
Thank chuuu :)

I don't see a problem with it, as long as you're up front with your members. If they don't want it to be re-sold, or if they request something that may impact resale (e.g. - moaning a name), then increase the price of the custom to compensate.
Did you mean de-crease?

I've seen models do it, and even had a model send me one that was a custom for someone else. It had a title on it that said "For John" or something like that, and she even mentioned his name. Overall, quality was good. But, it's one of those where, if it was more generic in nature, it would have been much better.

Had she of not sent it to me for free (her insistence, I did't ask for it), I would have been a little bothered by spending money on a video made for someone else and not knowing it. If I know it's a custom with a person's name in it, that's being resold, I'd want to know about this up front before purchase. Otherwise, I expect videos to be depersonalized where no names are said. If it's a custom, with a person's name or Screen name, I don't think I'd want to pay average price for a model's videos. IMO, it should be less. How much, that's debatable.

Did you mean de-crease?

Nope, increase. If a guy wants his name used, that impacts resale potential, because not everyone wants a video with another dude's name in it, so the guy ordering the custom is often asked to pay an additional fee to compensate for potential lost income due to name use.

Did you mean de-crease?

Sorry, I had phrased my response a bit ambiguously. @SaffronBurke clarified nicely.

Basically, increase the price for the guy who requests the original custom video to be created if he doesn't want it re-sold or you use his name in the vid.

The second customer buying the re-sold video can be charged your usual custom video price (neither an increase nor decrease), but just give notice beforehand that it's a re-sale.

If the original requester of the video doesn't want it to be re-sold to future customers, I would respect that - but make him pay more for it, of course.

For me to do an exclusive video, it would have to be for someone I'm pretty familiar with. I'd hate for someone to think exclusive meant they had the rights to resell themselves or something. If you say a name in a video, just make sure to put that in the description. Or edit it out in a 2nd version. Charge a fee for saying the name. It's either going to sell less or take you more editing time. Let potential custom folks know ahead of time that you'll be listing the clip for them to buy in your store. That takes all of the confusion off of the table. I list customs at the regular price in my stores, but the person who ordered it paid to have it made ahead of time. People who want to see their ideas put into action by a certain person should expect to pay substantially more for that than they would an existing clip. If they're not, you're wasting your time even entertaining their requests. To anyone else, it's just another clip. Charge the same as ever to them.

I don't see a problem with it, as long as you're up front with your members. If they don't want it to be re-sold, or if they request something that may impact resale (e.g. - moaning a name), then increase the price of the custom to compensate.

I agree with this. I use forms for all of my services: worn items, custom videos, private shows, etc. They outline everything from rules to payment options. I always note in said forms that custom videos are my property and cannot be disseminated, shared, and/or sold in any capacity without my written permission. This also makes it implicit that I can do whatever I want with said videos.

That said, it's important to maintain at least some semblance of civility as a model! It's polite to give the customer a heads up, but not wholly necessary. Personally, I don't email them and say, "Hey, I'm posting your custom video on c4s or ManyVids!" That most likely will lead to more trouble than it is worth. What IS necessary in my opinion is ensuring that:

1) the original client's name/personal info is not present in the video (if it is, edit it out. if you cannot edit it out, don't use it)

2) nothing in the video or description(s) thereof indicate who commissioned the video

3) you wait for a certain amount of time (up to your discretion, but I say at least one month) before posting it on a clips site - it can be very offensive to a client to see a video they paid, say, $100 for pop up on a clips site for $10 just a few days later

Keep these things in mind and I believe you are being civil about it. At the end of the day, though, the video is YOUR property. Just keep in mind that not observing the few considerations I enumerated can be considered unprofessional and upset a client

Reactions: Fatquack
I buy custom videos fairly often and I don't mind if the model resells them afterwards (I often assume that she will), however, there are two things I've seen models do that I do not agree with:

1) One model made a custom video for me and then later re-posted the video for sale on C4S, which is fine. However, she also copy & pasted my script word for word as the video description. That's not cool. The video my be her intellectual property, but the script for the video is mine and I don't think that's OK to post in public without permission. If you do resell a custom video, please make up your own description.

2) Another thing I don't agree with is when someone orders a custom video and the model just happens to have a video she made for someone else and sells that to her customer, but without letting him know that the video was made for someone else and still charging him a custom video price for it (rather than a pre-made video price). If something like that happens, I think the right thing to do is to let the customer know that you already have a video (that you made for someone else or just on your own) that is very close to what he has asked you to make and offer to sell that to him as a regular video OR if you are still going to charge him a custom video price, then the just make a new custom video for that customer.

However, she also copy & pasted my script word for word as the video description. That's not cool. The video my be her intellectual property, but the script for the video is mine and I don't think that's OK to post in public without permission. If you do resell a custom video, please make up your own description.
I've done this before. I figured a lot of people request the same custom of many girls and that way others who enjoy those customs might recognize the concept easier if the initial request/script is in the description. Can I ask what bothers you about the posting of it? Not something I'd ever consider without having read your post.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
It really only applies to more complicated scripts or unique fetish videos. Most of my customs are simple and they don't even have a real script, but when the video is something more involved then I prefer my script to remain private. The reason is that for those types of videos it takes me a while to perfect a script until it's just right - it might mean getting several customs and tweaking the script after each one until I feel like it's perfect the way it is. Just like how models put time and effort into each video they make, I also put time and effort (and money, since it may take a few trials to get it right) into the scripts.

I don't mind other people getting the videos that result from a script I came up with, but I want to be able to use the same script to get videos from different models in the future without competition from people who somehow got a hold of it. I don't want people to start approaching models with my script to get the exact same custom videos, especially if there is a chance that I may still be actively using it.

It really only applies to more complicated scripts or unique fetish videos. Most of my customs are simple and they don't even have a real script, but when the video is something more involved then I prefer my script to remain private. The reason is that for those types of videos it takes me a while to perfect a script until it's just right - it might mean getting several customs and tweaking the script after each one until I feel like it's perfect the way it is. Just like how models put time and effort into each video they make, I also put time and effort (and money, since it may take a few trials to get it right) into the scripts.

I don't mind other people getting the videos that result from a script I came up with, but I want to be able to use the same script to get videos from different models in the future without competition from people who somehow got a hold of it. I don't want people to start approaching models with my script to get the exact same custom videos, especially if there is a chance that I may still be actively using it.
I have studied some copyright law and this is fascinating to me. If your work reaches a certain threshold of originality it might actually be copyright protected. I remember a site that had subtitles for pirated TV shows and movies that was shutdown and the site owners were sued for damages for violating the TV and movie studios copyright by just hosting the subtitles.

All my customs are resold (only editing out personally identifiable information) unless they pay an extra exclusivity charge on top of the custom video charge, and this is disclosed before the order is finalized.

I am a bit of a perfectionist, shooting and reshooting to get it just right, and it's just too much work for me to do a video and only sell it once. A video can sometimes be two full day's work, depending on if it has special video or audio effects and costume changes, etc.

I don't want people to start approaching models with my script to get the exact same custom videos, especially if there is a chance that I may still be actively using it.
Interesting. I would have thought that to be a plus because you get to see your custom put into play without paying the custom price. Thanks for the reply.

Interesting. I would have thought that to be a plus because you get to see your custom put into play without paying the custom price. Thanks for the reply.
It could work out like that, yes, but it's also possible that the other guy using my script turns out to be a jerk and puts girls off whatever fetish it is for good by making their first experience with it unpleasant.

I think for me it just comes down to not liking it when people steal my ideas. I don't mind if they buy a video based on my script and then try to figure out what I originally asked the girl to do and try to reverse-engineer my script, but I don't like the idea of them being able to get my script word for word with no effort.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Zoso and JickyJuly
I have never seen someone post an entire script as a clip description. That seems... excessive...

Agreed. I would think it'd be nothing more than clothing, oil/lube, positions, etc.

If models are given full scripts, that's not really a custom. That's more of a production. At which point, due to the complexity, I'd hope models charge excessively for.

After reading all of this, I think I'm being far too simplistic whenever I've received a custom from a model:

Model: "What would you like me to do in your video?
Me: "Umm... I don't know."
Model: "Any special outfit that turns you on? Role play? Positions? Want me to use any oil or lube?"
Me: "Surprise me."
Model: "What?"
Me: "Surprise me with what you know of me from time spent in your room."

I know that brings up issues of their own. But, I've only done a custom once or twice and each time is with models that I interact frequently with.

Agreed. I would think it'd be nothing more than clothing, oil/lube, positions, etc.

If models are given full scripts, that's not really a custom. That's more of a production. At which point, due to the complexity, I'd hope models charge excessively for.

After reading all of this, I think I'm being far too simplistic whenever I've received a custom from a model:

Model: "What would you like me to do in your video?
Me: "Umm... I don't know."
Model: "Any special outfit that turns you on? Role play? Positions? Want me to use any oil or lube?"
Me: "Surprise me."
Model: "What?"
Me: "Surprise me with what you know of me from time spent in your room."

I know that brings up issues of their own. But, I've only done a custom once or twice and each time is with models that I interact frequently with.
I was more saying that I've never seen a performer use the entirety of a given script AS the description for the clip when they post it for resale, which seems to be @briandf255 's concern. I *have* seen clip-makers post what are obviously parts of the original request in their descriptions. I say "obviously" because there are often instances where, while copy/pasting, they've overlooked changing "you" to "I" and so on.

But yeah, anytime someone has a whole script with scene direction that they want used for their custom, there's going to be an additional cost from me. Most of my custom requests come with a general concept including the fetish elements they are interested in, perhaps some key words or phrases that they'd like to hear me use, maybe an outfit they want to see me in. If you want me to memorize an entire three-act performance, you are going to pay handsomely for it. :haha:

I was more saying that I've never seen a performer use the entirety of a given script AS the description for the clip when they post it for resale, which seems to be @briandf255 's concern. I *have* seen clip-makers post what are obviously parts of the original request in their descriptions. I say "obviously" because there are often instances where, while copy/pasting, they've overlooked changing "you" to "I" and so on.

But yeah, anytime someone has a whole script with scene direction that they want used for their custom, there's going to be an additional cost from me. Most of my custom requests come with a general concept including the fetish elements they are interested in, perhaps some key words or phrases that they'd like to hear me use, maybe an outfit they want to see me in. If you want me to memorize an entire three-act performance, you are going to pay handsomely for it. :haha:

Gotcha, and that makes sense. I was typically thinking just from the request perspective only. I would think that most custom requests are typically generic enough that a model could direct them to their video page if they wanted. Unless there's an identifiable statement, word, or act, in a custom I requested, I wouldn't have an issue if a model resold it. I might actually be flattered a bit since I don't think I'm creative, or into fetish, enough.

I would think that most custom requests are typically generic enough that a model could direct them to their video page if they wanted.
This is probably true and I imagine those who do not wish to produce custom content do this very thing. A lot of custom requests come from clients who have already purchased some or all of the performer's clips in their areas of interest, and the idea of having something made to their own specifications adds to the excitement of it. Or, they want to see something that is a mixture of a few fetishes/interests/whatever else that they have that the performer may not have chosen to combine in that way before.
I might actually be flattered a bit since I don't think I'm creative, or into fetish, enough.
Hey if there's a chance that someone might want to pay me for work I've already done, why wouldn't I want to take it? Unless it was something that I didn't like the end result of or didn't want associated with my brand, I'd put it up for general consumption. Just my thoughts on the matter, it has little to do with creativity or whatever else. Overall, most requests are far from being "too niche" for resale. On top of that, some clip makers have clients who love/obsess over them so much that they'll buy anything their chosen idol produces haha. If there's money on the table and it takes no extra effort, I'm going to pocket it.

What happened with me was years ago, so I don't remember if it was the full script or not. It may have been only a part of it due to space limitations on C4S, but regardless of whether it was the whole script or not, what bothered me was that it was word for word. I'm generally against posting anything in public that takes place as private communication, like the messages exchanged when discussing a custom even if the person is not identified, unless there is a very good reason to do so (to report harassment, scam, anything illegal and things of that nature).

Most customs don't require an elaborate script and I obviously do pay more when the custom is more detailed. I don't want anyone to think that I send a full page of notes to the model when I just want her to put on a sexy outfit and show off her body in a few poses I pick for her in a 5 minute video. Those can be summed up in a paragraph and I don't particularly care if that "script" is posted in public. It's more of a thing with fetish customs which are more detailed and more personal than vanilla videos. Maybe some (or most) people don't mind if the model posts their scripts, but my point was that you can't assume the customer won't mind and if he does mind then I think he should have the final say because the script is his work.

Reactions: yummybrownfox
What happened with me was years ago, so I don't remember if it was the full script or not. It may have been only a part of it due to space limitations on C4S, but regardless of whether it was the whole script or not, what bothered me was that it was word for word. I'm generally against posting anything in public that takes place as private communication, like the messages exchanged when discussing a custom even if the person is not identified, unless there is a very good reason to do so (to report harassment, scam, anything illegal and things of that nature).

Most customs don't require an elaborate script and I obviously do pay more when the custom is more detailed. I don't want anyone to think that I send a full page of notes to the model when I just want her to put on a sexy outfit and show off her body in a few poses I pick for her in a 5 minute video. Those can be summed up in a paragraph and I don't particularly care if that "script" is posted in public. It's more of a thing with fetish customs which are more detailed and more personal than vanilla videos. Maybe some (or most) people don't mind if the model posts their scripts, but my point was that you can't assume the customer won't mind and if he does mind then I think he should have the final say because the script is his work.

I've deffinately taken the description the customer sent me when it was more specific fetish related videos - because the description was the simplest thing to paste in there. I'd never considered that this might be an issue (i've seen it done many times on c4s in paticular) so I just sort of figured it was standard. Thanks for posting this - I'll check before I do this again. (and I hope you make a point to tell the model your strong feelings regarding this too, since it is common)

Status
Not open for further replies.