AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Sound

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann_Sulu

V.I.P. AmberLander
Inactive Cam Model
Jun 16, 2012
Bespin, Cloud City
ann-sulu.com
Twitter Username
@Ann_sulu19
Streamate Username
Ann_Sulu
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/54402/Ann_Sulu/
Clips4Sale URL
http://clips4sale.com/studio/78435/Ann_Sulu-Custom--HD-Videos
I searched up and down, but couldn't find it. Please forgive me if something of this nature has already been posted. I have seen girls in many rooms have terrible sound. Either they come off as too loud or too soft. Their music may down out their every word entirely. I know it's frustrating as a member to hop from room to room, have a model's sound basically attack your ears then you hit the mute button. You might actually want to know what she's saying, but gawd that sound!

I don't thing my sound has ever frequently been too loud, though I've had many that have told me they had to turn up the volume a lot. I always have music on, but only some seem to realize this since I keep my music low enough to where it doesn't drown out my voice (I'd prefer no music rather than shouting over it needless to say).

Point is, is there like a "best way to set up you sound stuff" method? There's no easy way to test this stuff out on the model's side of the camera, and unless a member tells us our sound is shit...well we have no clue. On a side note if anything technical is ever an issue in my room please let me know! I won't take offence!

Reactions: Sevrin
If I'm not already acquainted with a model and her sound is bad, I leave. Mostly, it seems to be that models have their speakers set too close to the microphone. If I'm in a model's room for any length of time and her sound is bad, I always tell her, because bad sound has to be one of the main things that drives members away when they visit a room for the first time.

If she has no sound, I suggest she get herself some.

I use an external omnidirectional mic that I have plugged in via USB and then I use external speakers about 2 feet away from my mic as well. I've been told by a few people that my sound setup is the best they've heard on their end.

Isn't it possible to plug in headphones and pull up your mfc room on another browser window and hear yourself talk? You're talking into the web mic but listening to your rooms output that way. :think:

Reactions: SaffronBurke
SexyStephXS said:
I use an external omnidirectional mic that I have plugged in via USB and then I use external speakers about 2 feet away from my mic as well. I've been told by a few people that my sound setup is the best they've heard on their end.
Yeah, it's pretty good.... link?

Here's one I bought for a couple models to take care of static issue that seems to randomly plague the Logitech webcams. It is directional so point it forward toward you and it helps to minimize sound coming out of your speakers. So YOU can have that volume up louder to hear but it won't be as bad on cam.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MYPPPE/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: SaffronBurke
I use my the mic built into my cam, and I have my speakers about 2-3 feet away from my cam. I don't think I have the static problem, but for all I know I've had it my entire camming experience, and no one's told me. I've tried doing the headphones thing before, but with my auditory dyslexia I wind up just hearing it as something like a massive blur of noises, and can't make heads or tails of it (my brain sorta like lags when it comes to sounds then mixes up the sounds so telling if my sound is loud or soft is nearly impossible). Other models might benefit from it, unfortunately it only gives me migraines. :(

Reactions: LadyLuna
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MF ... _hist_link

I'd generally suggest not using the built in mic on your webcam or the one on your desktop. I offer karaoke in my room and the one time I used my built in mic I got a lot of "let's save karaoke for tomorrow when you switch mics" so I'd say there's a pretty vast difference between the two setups.

The best sound I've heard was in the room who was streaming music from her computer directly to MFC without running it through speakers and a microphone. It was MP3 quality which is pretty awesome for MFC. She also had a microphone active. She's been offline for a bit. Probably perfecting cold fusion, or something.

Sevrin said:
The best sound I've heard was in the room who was streaming music from her computer directly to MFC without running it through speakers and a microphone. It was MP3 quality which is pretty awesome for MFC. She also had a microphone active. She's been offline for a bit. Probably perfecting cold fusion, or something.

I'd hate that (on the models side). How can I dance to the music if I'm not listening to it? lol

That's awesome though.

Well, the thing was, she would switch back and forth between having just the music, and having the mic on when she wanted to speak, usually with the music turned down a bit. With her mic on, it was not *as* good, but still about as good as in the rooms with a good mic/speaker setup. So it was either great music quality while she would dance or something, and very good music quality while she would speak.

I've always used my built in mic on my Logitech 9000 and the only time there was any distortion or static was when the mic/cam had been exposed to too much moisture after a bajillion shower shows. I have external speakers about 2-3 feet from the cam/mic at all times.

I get compliments on my sound and video frequently.

AmberCutie said:
I've always used my built in mic on my Logitech 9000 and the only time there was any distortion or static was when the mic/cam had been exposed to too much moisture after a bajillion shower shows. I have external speakers about 2-3 feet from the cam/mic at all times.

So is it just shitty microphones? Thing is, you can see two models in the same room sometimes one's sound will be okay, and the other will have poor sound.
:think:

I think I can contribute in a very helpful way to this. When I started camming what put me off the most was having to have the mic always on, so I rarely ever did. I'm not a talker anyway and it's very weird for me to talk through the mic, it feels like I'm talking to myself instead of actually answering the person (especially in free chat). But I also wanted to have music on, because I thought that would be pretty darn cool. Anyways I kept thinking, if only there was a way to stream my music without needing to have the mic on, enabling it only when requested.

So I searched and searched and searched and, while it was a bit of a pain to setup, once you get the hang of it you know exactly what to do and everything seems pretty simple. Anyway I'll just give a quick overview of what I did and If anyone wants more details let me know.

I installed Virtual Audio Cable, created two virtual audio cables (Line 1 and Line 2, you can change the name). So if you don't want to use VAC, just look for programs that create virtual audio cables and audio repeaters.
Then, everytime I want to cam, I set Line 1 as my default playback device of my computer (instead of my speakers or headphones) and open 3 audio repeaters. I would only need 1 if I was only streaming music, but with 3 I can have my mic set up and turn it on/off whenever I want. Setting it to default makes it so that sounds from the computer will be played to Line 1 instead of my speakers/headphones/whatever was as default. Each one allows me to choose where a certain sound will play, for example I can make the sound that comes through my mic to come out from my headphones.
I set one to send what's on Line 1 to Line 2, the other to send my mic to Line 2 and the third to send Line 1 to my speakers (so I can hear the music aswell). The two virtual audio cables are needed so I don't hear my own microphone when I have it on.
Then, in the broadcast page of the cam website, instead of selecting your mic, you select Line 2, which has both sounds from your computer and the mic.
The audio repeaters let you stop/start whenever you want so if I ever want to speak I just click start and ta-da!

Sevrin said:
AmberCutie said:

So is it just shitty microphones? Thing is, you can see two models in the same room sometimes one's sound will be okay, and the other will have poor sound.
:think:
Either that or they are placing the webcam directly over the built in cam on their laptop and getting feedback. This is something I have played with a lot lately between my website members shows and MFC. I've discovered a lot of the static and clicking you will sometimes hear only happens if the webcam in placed in the center of your monitor, over the built in webcam. I really prefer to have my cam on my laptop when I'm talking to the room otherwise I just CAN'T remember to look at the camera, And as long as the webcam is placed to the side, no feedback or static.

I'm often told I have one of the best quality sounding rooms on MFC, so when things get kind of wonky I hear about it and it's extremely important to me that I maintain that good sound. I do a lot of dancing and am kind of powered by music, so having legible music is extremely important to my show.

I have tested many different mics, including a Blu snowflake/icicle/slushpuppy (I can't remember the model) the high def directional built in mic and it always comes back to my room saying the Logitech 9000 mic is by far the best well rounded sound quality. I have speakers with sub-woofer on the complete other side of my room, I have them behind the cam now but I've had them in the front before as well and with the logitech 9000 the only difference it seemed to make was not being in my way.
I keep them pretty far, probably 10-15 feet because I like the music to be a little louder... it just helps ME get in the groove better and that way I get the loud music experience without blowing out everyone's ear drums. I have a pretty huge open space behind my cam station though so this is uniquely convenient for me.

Anyway, my main point is to not be afraid of using your webcams mic, specifically the 9000! From my experience as long as it's not damaged it actually produces some of the best quality.
Just look at Ambah, her sound quality is INSANELY good!

Like Jolene said, I have used the Logitec 920 mic and that used to be the best so far. I even bought a $350 external mic and it did not produce the same quality as the webcam mic.

Lately, I have been having horrible sound issues. I have tried changing computers (bought a brand new laptop) , I have tried changing webcams ( I have multiple c920 webcams) and the sound is still bad. I have tried restarting mfc and maybe only 40% of the times I have been on the sound went back to normal. I haven't changed any settings when the sound was sounding normal.
This only happens when I play music, when I talk it sounds ok.

I have been trying to play the music through the system sound on many cam. In theory it should work if I select many cam option as mic in the mfc flash settings but the sound comes out horrible. I have tried it on multiple computers and I don't know why it does that? I don't care too much about having a mic because I am a silent model but if I don't have music playing I can't make any money.

Anyone has any advice on this?

Kickaz said:
I have been trying to play the music through the system sound on many cam. In theory it should work if I select many cam option as mic in the mfc flash settings but the sound comes out horrible. I have tried it on multiple computers and I don't know why it does that? I don't care too much about having a mic because I am a silent model but if I don't have music playing I can't make any money.

Anyone has any advice on this?

Yes, check my post above. It directly relates to having music in the room without a microphone.

I have the Logitech 9000, but when I use the mic on it, nobody can hear me, or the sound is very quiet and cuts in and out a lot. I've tried the mic Jerry recommended, but my computer doesn't even recognize it as being there, so it's not an option when I go to select mics. So, until I can shell out money for a new cam or a better external mic, I'm stuck with the built-in mic on my laptop. I haven't had any complaints about sound quality, though it probably helps that I put my cam on a tripod.

Edit: Ya know what? Any US models wanna try that mic out, PM me and I will send mine to you, bb. I spent money on, someone may as well get to use it.

Reactions: MayaEden
Status
Not open for further replies.