AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

studio question!

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aly

Sep 21, 2016
hi! I'm returning to camming after a 2ish-3ish year hiatus, but this time I plan to work with a studio because I live with my mom now. internet sucks, no privacy, etc etc.

The studio uses Streamate & said I'll be paid 40% of my commission plus bonuses.
Assuming I'll be promoted properly, tipped normally, etc, is this reasonable?

place is being newly renovated, the girl in charge seems really nice (and is a girl, so that's always a plus), I just don't know what normal commission rates are for studios!!

I was on MFC when I was 18; and I can't figure out how much 1 token is worth on Streamate. (model end, not customer end)
edit: Oh, does Streamate just not use tokens? That simplifies it a little bit lol.

help?!
thanks!

Last edited:
The 40% you'll be getting is probably actually 40% of Streamate's typical 35% cut for models, so... Practically nothing. I have no idea if that's normal or not, but it is absolutely tiny.

Streamate doesn't use tokens, but gold. 1 gold = 1 US dollar to the customer, 35 cents (or less) to the model.

So if that's right, the model get's $1.40 of every $10 the member spends? Wooooow.

WoW. what a rip off. I'm glad I was told to steer clear of SM years back. One of the multi site girls told me its a bad rate for girls and this still confirms it. You get 40% of the 35% SM pays out to the studio.... ouch.

Reactions: fandango
Oh god... yeah.. okay, that's bad. I thought I'd be better off with a private environment with good internet and a slightly better webcam, but my webcam is good, my internet meets "ok" par, and after experimenting with Chaturbate today a bit, I think I'll be better off without the studio. Dear lord.
Charging $7/min for a private means that in a 1 on 1 I'd legit be making less than a dollar per minute. And constant privates = ZERO energy or will to live.
Yup. I'm good. wtf...

Oh god... yeah.. okay, that's bad. I thought I'd be better off with a private environment with good internet and a slightly better webcam, but my webcam is good, my internet meets "ok" par, and after experimenting with Chaturbate today a bit, I think I'll be better off without the studio. Dear lord.
Charging $7/min for a private means that in a 1 on 1 I'd legit be making less than a dollar per minute. And constant privates = ZERO energy or will to live.
Yup. I'm good. wtf...

You're probably best off camming while your mom is gone or sleeping (whichever is better for you), and saving up to get your own place.

If it is a good studio it might still be worth it. The site I go to has a lot of studio girls, and they are so much better than the girls that work from home. A studio takes some of your profits, but here are some things you will get in return.

A professional photographer with a bunch of different rooms (different environments) with great lighting, to take pictures of you for your profile.
Rooms decorated perfectly for web camming, you will be in different rooms so your regulars will never get tired of the room. The studio girls on my site even have a cam room with a shower they can do shows in.

Really expensive webcams with super high HD video and high restitution, some with a remote can you can rotate it and zoom in and out with a remote control. A bunch of different lighting options. A group of people whos goal is to get guys in your room and wants to help you be successful (because it helps them too) And of course fast reliable internet so you don't have to worry about your stream cutting out on people.

From what I've seen these models get a lot more people in their room because of the quality of theirs rooms/profile is so much better.

You can always quit if you're not making as much money, if it is a good studio that supports their models you might like it better. I say give it a shot

@darylprater You can't "just quit" though. For Streamate, quitting a studio means not being able to work on the site for I believe 6 months. Unless this studio is guaranteed to get her enough traffic to make up for what she would on her own it isn't worth it.

If the studio is not crummy, they will release you early. Majority of them won't, since most are like pimps. Gotta keep yo hoes trapped.

I say just make content, OP. Start doing that while you live at home until you can save up enough and start earning that passive income. Once you have enough savings, get yourself in some affordable low income housing so you can cam on your own!

Be sure to save your money, since you don't want you mom finding out. Frivolous spending may end up outing you.

The 40% you'll be getting is probably actually 40% of Streamate's typical 35% cut for models, so... Practically nothing. I have no idea if that's normal or not, but it is absolutely tiny.

Streamate doesn't use tokens, but gold. 1 gold = 1 US dollar to the customer, 35 cents (or less) to the model.
I don't understand. I thought that on SM it comes directly from your credit card or debit card.

I don't understand. I thought that on SM it comes directly from your credit card or debit card.

Customers are billed directly from their cards, yes. You don't pre-purchase gold, you're directly billed for it just like private sessions. So, if you tip a model 5 gold, you're billed $5. It's just called "gold" when you're tipping or buying into a gold show.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Guy
I feel like the girls here are jealous that studio girls get more attention than them. That's why they are trying to put them down. Another advantage is you get to work with a bunch of other girls that do the same thing. You can make new friends on your breaks, people that understand your job that you can relate to.

I feel like the girls here are jealous that studio girls get more attention than them.
I can't speak for everyone but I imagine I am not alone: I feel sorry for studio models because they do not keep all of the money they earn and have to follow someone else's direction/quotas/schedule.

I feel like the girls here are jealous that studio girls get more attention than them. That's why they are trying to put them down. Another advantage is you get to work with a bunch of other girls that do the same thing. You can make new friends on your breaks, people that understand your job that you can relate to.

Even the "big" studios on SM don't seem to get that much more attention than non-studio girls at the same rank. Like the one studio I'm thinking of that has a very distinct "bedroom" setup, a lot of the models who use them are halfway down the front page, if that. If they were all guaranteed top row placement, yeah maybe you could say we're jealous. But that's not the case.

The big reason why a lot of us discourage studios, beyond the obvious "40% of 35%" issue, is that you're no longer working for yourself. You have to answer to somebody else, and could potentially be fired for turning down a request from a customer. The biggest appeal of camming is the autonomy and independence aspect, being able to use your discretion when it comes to your shows. An independent model can tell a rude dude to fuck off, but when was the last time you had a boss that let you do that?

I can't speak for everyone but I imagine I am not alone: I feel sorry for studio models because they do not keep all of the money they earn and have to follow someone else's direction/quotas/schedule.

Not only do they take a cut, but studios where you use a room basically "rent" the room that you're using to you as well. I've witnessed American studio girls having emotional breakdowns because they've been on for hours and haven't even covered their room deposit yet.
They nickle and dime you.

If it is a good studio it might still be worth it. The site I go to has a lot of studio girls, and they are so much better than the girls that work from home. A studio takes some of your profits, but here are some things you will get in return.

A professional photographer with a bunch of different rooms (different environments) with great lighting, to take pictures of you for your profile.
Rooms decorated perfectly for web camming, you will be in different rooms so your regulars will never get tired of the room. The studio girls on my site even have a cam room with a shower they can do shows in.

Really expensive webcams with super high HD video and high restitution, some with a remote can you can rotate it and zoom in and out with a remote control. A bunch of different lighting options. A group of people whos goal is to get guys in your room and wants to help you be successful (because it helps them too) And of course fast reliable internet so you don't have to worry about your stream cutting out on people.

From what I've seen these models get a lot more people in their room because of the quality of theirs rooms/profile is so much better.

You can always quit if you're not making as much money, if it is a good studio that supports their models you might like it better. I say give it a shot
This coming from the guy that wants to blackmail models and force them to do things they don't want to. Um yeah your advice is soooooo super sound. And yes of course we are jealous of not being in total control of our own business, or of being able to cam whenever we want, or of not having to answer to anyone, or just plain getting our full cut. OMG I am so jealous right now.:facepalm:

The big reason why a lot of us discourage studios, beyond the obvious "40% of 35%" issue, is that you're no longer working for yourself. You have to answer to somebody else, and could potentially be fired for turning down a request from a customer. The biggest appeal of camming is the autonomy and independence aspect, being able to use your discretion when it comes to your shows. An independent model can tell a rude dude to fuck off, but when was the last time you had a boss that let you do that?

I am 100% certain that this is exactly why daryl is singing the praises of studio models.

I was unaware that looking out for other women was a jealousy thing. Oh, yes, we're sooooo jealous of women who make a fraction of what they should and are being screwed over by studios pretending to be generous and helpful.

And it's totally sooooo difficult to be able to work with other women. There's nowhere on the Internet where we can get to know other women from the industry, talk to them and build friendships, and then *gasp* cam or even film today.

/sarcasm

Lol jealous because a pimp isn't taking practically half of my earnings... el oh el. Also I have higher placement then majority of these physical studio girls, so I'm getting PLENTY of attention.

I'm not putting them down, if you need a physical studio to cam that's fine, but there are other aspects of sex work you can do so you don't have to potentially get trapped. You have no idea what goes behind those cams and in the background.

Last edited:
Dude obviously has zero interest in seeing women as humans who work for money and pay bills.
Are there any men who would trade 50% of their salary and all of their freedom to hang around with other men on their "breaks"?
Get real, man.

Yup. I'm good. wtf...

Sorry that you're getting so much negative advice. So course they are some disadvantages, but I still think it's worth it. If you don't try you will never know. Let me know if you work for them and I will visit your room and give you my support

What happened Daryl? Did you get banned from all the major sites so you decided to come here to troll instead?

I hazard a guess that he/she likes attention. But, what do I know? Maybe he/she is just telling this forum stuff that lurkers might not know is wrong and everyone can correct him/her? Maybe that is his/her purpose. :) (my first try at being PC--very awkward) (I actually feel weird putting this thought out there)

Last edited:
Reactions: CasseLove
Sorry that you're getting so much negative advice. So course they are some disadvantages, but I still think it's worth it. If you don't try you will never know. Let me know if you work for them and I will visit your room and give you my support
Lawl get it, because you can't say no to things and dude has a blackmail fetish. Now is this the same guy that said he's all for making girls do hardcore anal especially if they're uncomfortable with it or don't want to do it, or was that another guy? So mainly if dude comes in your room better be prepared to shove a toy train up your cooter and sit on a bowling ball while juggling knives and singing the national anthem. That bothers me that studio models aren't allowed to say no to things they aren't comfortable with. I always just discounted them based on the percentage taken, but that right there is bullshit because you get people like sunshine over here that wanna take advantage of it.

Excuse yourself, no one is jealous of studio models. Now, I will tell you why I know that no one is jealous of studio models.
I did this paid manager internship at this webcam studio and they used to have this physical studio in Atlanta. They wanted me become a manager after the internship was over. However, I saw them undercharged women of color/Eastern European women, micromanage models, choose the model's names, and force them into year long contracts. For example, I had helped this Korean cam model get set up and felt that she should charge 7.99 per min. But the owner refused to that amount. He wanted to keep certain models at 1.50 to 2.99. Dude, you do not know what happens at most studios but I worked for one. For the most part, you get a bunch of pimps telling models how to behave and what the charge.

Another fine gentlemanly statement from you. Yes,;) it is totally bad advice to tell models to stay away from virtual pimps that take 30 percent of their cam income.:joyful:

Status
Not open for further replies.