AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Techie question - processor

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JickyJuly

Cam Model
Apr 13, 2011
Florida
www.amazon.com
Twitter Username
@JickyJuly
MFC Username
JickyJuly
Streamate Username
Jicky
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/461355/JickyJ/
Clips4Sale URL
http://www.clips4sale.com/store/99705/jicky
My laptop doesn't have a dual core processor. Can I just buy one and hook it into my computer somehow instead of buying a whole new laptop? Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about. Amazon has processors that are much less spendy than new laptops, and if I want to do Streamate on days that MFC lets me down, a dual core is necessary. This is an attempt to cut corners. :geek:

Probably not but what is the make and model of your laptop just to make sure?

Try the sticker on the bottom. I need to know what socket type the CPU is before I can tell you if there is a dual core for it. I'm still leaning towards there won't be but we'll see =)

probably not a good idea, a faster processor will (usually) use more power and produce more heat. it could work if there's a considerably higher performance version of your exact laptop model, but yeah.. we need your number ;)

To get your model number: If you are running Windows, click "Control Panel", then "System". It should show you the manufacturer and model number.

As far as CPU (processor) upgrades, I've done dozens and maybe 10% showed an appreciable difference in performance.

Other considerations:

1. on some laptops, the CPU is a little difficult to get to. If there is not a small panel to expose the CPU (like there is for memory), you would have to pay a tech to do the swap. If the keyboard has to be removed, don't listen to anyone that says it's "easy" to do.

2. *Most* sellers will not accept returns on CPUs for *any* reason. Most sellers will not guaranty compatibility. Also, it is very easy to short out the CPU (static discharge), bend a pin, etc., and it's toast.

3. if your goal is to use the Streamate HD encoder, the CPU *may not* be your only problem. On a lot of low end laptops, there is not a separate video card (low powered and/or missing GPU/FPU) and it most likely "share" video RAM with the system. This will of course degrade HD performance. Compare this to a low-mid price desktop where a separate video card with 512 meg of dedicated video memory is common.

Sorry, it looks like I'm trying to get you to spend more money ;)

If you are serious about getting a new laptop, look for the terms "discrete graphics" or "dedicated video", something like that.

I could give you a ton of reasons (let me know and I will, lol), but I think you would be better served (price/performance/durability) by getting a mid-level priced desktop PC and keep the old laptop as a back-up or for when you need to be "mobile".

Reactions: SoTxBob
schlmoe said:
If you are serious about getting a new laptop, look for the terms "discrete graphics" or "dedicated video", something like that.

In the past, I would have DEFINITELY agreed with you but with the performance of the Intel HD 3000 graphics built into all of the mobile i3, i5, and i7 Sandybridge processors, I'm not so sure it's worth it on a laptop anymore. I've heard the HD 4000 graphics with the Ivybridge chips is even more impressive. I've seen so many dedicated/discrete graphics cards in laptops melt themselves apart because of the temperatures they produce and how poorly most people tend to keeping the ducts and heat sinks for their laptops clean. Also, all of the the previously mentioned processor series are at least dual core with multi-threading with the high end i7s being quad-core with multi-threading.

And yeah... processor upgrades aren't often worth it on older desktops. If it's an older laptop, it's much less likely to be worth the effort. Also, I find the highest end processors of each socket type seem to hold their value better than all the others because the few people who do upgrade go for the best they can put into the motherboard they have.

You'll definitely get more bang for your buck with what schlmoe suggests as far as a desktop but if you're mobile rather frequently, then really something like this gets you a computer that with an external webcam (the built-in one is shit) would do just fine for camming. It's a dual core processor that uses a technology called multi-threading to effectively process on four tasks at once. The only thing I would say is that upgrading from the 5400 RPM hard drive to one at 7200 RPM would probably be quite effective at making it a bit more responsive. It will use a bit more power reducing the battery life by a few minutes if you're constantly accessing the hard drive but I'd say it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.