AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

The downfall of MFC... Myth or reality?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
every year i hear this about everysite.

a site is dead when they tell you or close up shop with no word.

buT bB #StreamateIsDying2k20!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Also, #StreamateisDying2k19, #SMIsDying2k18, #SMDied2k17, #DeadOnSM2k16, #SunkShipStreamate2k15, #StreamNoMoneyMate2k01!

Audri and I laugh because no, no, NO, it is not dying, but those hashtags were actual, legitimate things (well, okay, a few were hyperbole) every single year we've worked Streamate. And yet, I've made more money every single year that I've worked there. I'm not special -- I just refuse to panic myself into quitting when I could fucking grind the same as ever and ignore the nonsense that's never once come to fruition.

But the market is over saturated. But the customers are leaving. But the money is all dried up. But gone are the days of turning on your potato cam and having millions thrown at you. But the glitches never end. But the site is failing. But you're special and I'm not and it's not fairrrrr. But but but.

I've heard every last bit of this nonsense before, for every site I've worked on, ever, for years. Not once has it ever been true.

I've survived Streamate converting to wide screen, converting to 720p, converting to 1080p, The SMB encoder, and now SMConnect to deal with the HTML5 conversion. There was an End Of Dayzzzz party for every one of those, with exactly the same fear mongering and rhetoric, every time. Now, I choose to laugh. Call it flippant or insensitive, but it's the truth. The ship hasn't sunk yet, and I doubt it's going to anytime in the foreseeable future for those who a) show up, b) work, and c) repeat.

This applies to everyone, on every site. Head's up queens, or the crown will slip. And we wouldn't want that.

Also, for the love of god, stop listening to hearsay if you can help it. I've met models who will fear monger solely because they want other folks to quit and lessen the competition or some shit. There's no good to come from sitting in a quagmire of bullshit. Absolutely none. The world's oldest profession is such for a reason.

Also, #StreamateisDying2k19, #SMIsDying2k18, #SMDied2k17, #DeadOnSM2k16, #SunkShipStreamate2k15, #StreamNoMoneyMate2k01!

Audri and I laugh because no, no, NO, it is not dying, but those hashtags were actual, legitimate things (well, okay, a few were hyperbole) every single year we've worked Streamate. And yet, I've made more money every single year that I've worked there. I'm not special -- I just refuse to panic myself into quitting when I could fucking grind the same as ever and ignore the nonsense that's never once come to fruition.

But the market is over saturated. But the customers are leaving. But the money is all dried up. But gone are the days of turning on your potato cam and having millions thrown at you. But the glitches never end. But the site is failing. But you're special and I'm not and it's not fairrrrr. But but but.

I've heard every last bit of this nonsense before, for every site I've worked on, ever, for years. Not once has it ever been true.

I've survived Streamate converting to wide screen, converting to 720p, converting to 1080p, The SMB encoder, and now SMConnect to deal with the HTML5 conversion. There was an End Of Dayzzzz party for every one of those, with exactly the same fear mongering and rhetoric, every time. Now, I choose to laugh. Call it flippant or insensitive, but it's the truth. The ship hasn't sunk yet, and I doubt it's going to anytime in the foreseeable future for those who a) show up, b) work, and c) repeat.

This applies to everyone, on every site. Head's up queens, or the crown will slip. And we wouldn't want that.

Also, for the love of god, stop listening to hearsay if you can help it. I've met models who will fear monger solely because they want other folks to quit and lessen the competition or some shit. There's no good to come from sitting in a quagmire of bullshit. Absolutely none. The world's oldest profession is such for a reason.

I think the biggest complain for a while has been the lack of upgrades.
And it now looks like they are doing a complete overhaul of the site.

I like it :D

new.myfreecams.com has been around for months (at least since october 2019)
on twitter there are positive comments from people who watched it for a few seconds, and overwhelmingly negative comments from people who actually tried to use it

Also, in general to all the people that just use the word "LAG" to describe any issue they run into on MFC... please can you be more specific? People throw this word around but if we want things fixed or to give feedback, we have to be more detailed. Is the video feed jumping? freezing? white screening? are you showing offline? is audio desynced from the video? are you getting kicked offline repeatedly?

Because usually it's all of them

yesterday I was watching a model on three devices (windows laptop, tv with amazon fire tv stick, ipad)
- on the computer the stream was freezing every 10 seconds and the audio was out of sync
- on the tv I could watch for a minute and then the model status suddenly became "offline" (she wasn't) and I had to refresh
- on the ipad: loading screen
- on the ipad, once switched from webRTrash to HLC: normal-ish video with slowed down audio and metallic glitchy voice

It's all bullpucky. They're going through a rough patch while trying to get these technical upgrades done to their streaming (and viewing) process in preparation for Flash to be completely gone later this year. Sure, it's causing some people to leave out of frustration, but those of us who stick it out will reap the benefits of it.

I dunno, maybe some of us who have been around since the early days of MFC aren't finding the status quo that daunting because it is still so amazing compared to the tech gliches we had before the model web broadcaster even existed... or that we survived the 1st or last day of the month complete site crashes when we were competing for top 20... or when we had no way to sell videos/pics/clubs directly on the site.

Maybe we appreciate it more, and newer folks don't know how good things really still are, even given the fact that we have issues the site is knowingly and willingly working on right now.

This unexpected and unanticipated end of flash, poor devs!

but yes, I don't doubt the site is better than 10 years ago, what an achievement!

in the meantime chaturbate has been offering 4k streaming since 2017

So either the devs are have no skills and should do another job, or mfc doesn't give them enough resources

and if it's the latter, make sense the speculation about MFC putting all the money and resources into OnlyFans

I don't blame them: why should they care to fix the problems if users are still buying tokens and models just cry a little on Twitter but won't go on any other site?

BTW I have a brand new speculation that nobody mentioned. Lately MFC has been very active blocking IPs of people recording shows (a friend told me), especially since january. In order to do this they put up some complicated system that the developers of recording apps haven't really figured out how to circumvent. Is this hurting the quality of the streams?

Reactions: Mfcalana
Happens to industry leaders all the time, they get to the top, become complacent and quality goes down or their competition equals or surpasses them for a similar or lower price. It happened to Dell, you could argue it's happening a bit to Apple, perhaps it's happening a bit to MFC?

On the bright side, you may see at least a little traffic come back from Livejasmin who raised the price of credits again at the start of 2020 and many of the models are now charger higher rates. I assume it's having at least some kind of significant effect as I'm beginning to see livejasmin models bitching about customers saying that prices are getting too high.

Despite all the glitches in 2017, I was still making my highest ever average hourly that year, and wasn't even sticking to a consistent schedule! I was just lucky enough to be on at the right time and snag a lot of findom shows.

There've definitely been some rough patches - I went from super consistent income in 2014 to lots of $0 days in 2015-2016, so I switched to focusing on clips, then in 2017 it picked back up for me. Absolutely why we always advise having multiple eggs in your basket.

I wonder if they would consider going all gender.

yesterday I was watching a model on three devices (windows laptop, tv with amazon fire tv stick, ipad)
- on the computer the stream was freezing every 10 seconds and the audio was out of sync
- on the tv I could watch for a minute and then the model status suddenly became "offline" (she wasn't) and I had to refresh
- on the ipad: loading screen
- on the ipad, once switched from webRTrash to HLC: normal-ish video with slowed down audio and metallic glitchy voice

Supposably webRT has lower latency then RTMP. For a site where people talk to models, that could be a valuable feature.
But it does mean that they don't have access to some of the cool hardware that's currently only RTMP.

It is a newer standard, so if your TV doesn't have a modern browser it might have problems with it.
If you haven't, you might want to try Chrome on your tablet.

I wonder if they would consider going all gender.
I feel like they never will. It was their original business plan and it has always separated them (whether you think it a detriment or a help to them) from the other token sites. Then again, when they began there were no other token sites lol.

Reactions: Mira_xo
While not exact, being a verified model on this forum you should have access to and have seen our MFC camscore thread. We've got it pretty nailed. :)

While I don't agree that people need to post their camscore in order to be trusted in their judgement, it is good to gauge if a models' camscore is going up or down significantly, or what they are usually at to determine if room count is a factor, etc.

I don’t think I’ve seen the cam score thread but will look for it. Within the last 2 months mine went from 8000 to now below 5000. This month I’m not even making top 1000. This hasn’t really happened before. So that’s why I’m questioning things.

• Hugs
Reactions: Mila_
Personally been kicking around MFC since 2008. People/models have been speculating about it's death since the camscores changed and yet...here we are. The cam industry as a whole is in flux right now for several reasons, but to use the word dying is a bit of an exaggeration from my viewpoint.

While I'm not abandoning MFC, it can be really frustrating that MFC can't seem to create a functional site. I give MFC a break when there is issues with lag, etc. for a day or two, but the lag I've experienced lately has been going on for well over a month.

What happens in my room: about 50% of the people watching me see everything perfectly, and the other 50% see me choppy (as they describe, like 1 frame per second). The 50% who have it good will occasionally get the "lag" and have to refresh. My members are also *constantly* booted from my room, every day someone will say "what the heck mfc kicked me from your room."

I have tried WebRTC and this made things worse, people were getting buffering loading circles on top of everything mentioned above.

The only stream that seems to not lag for me is the built in broadcaster in 600x800, which is not ideal.

My internet is about 300 down and 50 up, and I can stream in 1080 on Twitch through OBS flawlessly.

I don't watch models often, but one day in frustration with my own issues, I clicked around to about 10 models. Half of them had issues with the site at that current moment, and were skipping frames and desperately restarting to try to fix it.

I love mfc, I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for MFC, but these issues need to be addressed. It's hard for me to believe they don't have the resources to fix this quickly. Even if the fix wasn't quick, it's been over a month of the recent issues and there is no communication to us that they even know it's a problem.

How would a new viewer feel if they saw a cute girl on Twitter, then came to her chat room just to watch her turn her cam on and off again, see the girl at 1-5 fps, have mfc kick them from the room, and when they finally do get a solid stream, the girl has to keep asking her room "is everything still okay?"

I understand that MFC is probably scrambling to find a solution, but they communicate nothing of that to us. I also think girls are salty because they spends millions on events like AVN and the like--if they spent literal millions on programmers or servers or whatever is needed to fix the site, then I cannot see how this would still be an issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I don't know much about the backend that goes into this. Personally, I don't care what MFC does with their money with events, I just want a functioning site.

Reactions: Mira_xo
While I'm not abandoning MFC, it can be really frustrating that MFC can't seem to create a functional site. I give MFC a break when there is issues with lag, etc. for a day or two, but the lag I've experienced lately has been going on for well over a month.

What happens in my room: about 50% of the people watching me see everything perfectly, and the other 50% see me choppy (as they describe, like 1 frame per second). The 50% who have it good will occasionally get the "lag" and have to refresh. My members are also *constantly* booted from my room, every day someone will say "what the heck mfc kicked me from your room."

I have tried WebRTC and this made things worse, people were getting buffering loading circles on top of everything mentioned above.

The only stream that seems to not lag for me is the built in broadcaster in 600x800, which is not ideal.

My internet is about 300 down and 50 up, and I can stream in 1080 on Twitch through OBS flawlessly.

I don't watch models often, but one day in frustration with my own issues, I clicked around to about 10 models. Half of them had issues with the site at that current moment, and were skipping frames and desperately restarting to try to fix it.

I love mfc, I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for MFC, but these issues need to be addressed. It's hard for me to believe they don't have the resources to fix this quickly. Even if the fix wasn't quick, it's been over a month of the recent issues and there is no communication to us that they even know it's a problem.

How would a new viewer feel if they saw a cute girl on Twitter, then came to her chat room just to watch her turn her cam on and off again, see the girl at 1-5 fps, have mfc kick them from the room, and when they finally do get a solid stream, the girl has to keep asking her room "is everything still okay?"

I understand that MFC is probably scrambling to find a solution, but they communicate nothing of that to us. I also think girls are salty because they spends millions on events like AVN and the like--if they spent literal millions on programmers or servers or whatever is needed to fix the site, then I cannot see how this would still be an issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I don't know much about the backend that goes into this. Personally, I don't care what MFC does with their money with events, I just want a functioning site.
Also, something I've tried recently was asking each member to fiddle around with the new options on THEIR side. For some people, turning off their Flash and switching between WebRTC and HLS to test it out results in a better solution for them.

It's a little gear at the bottom of our video stream. I believe there are no options unless they have Flash disabled.

(I've been running the rtmp/external connection at 720p and either 2000 or 2500 bitrate, just for reference. Have had a few people here and there tell me they have some issues, and some of them have had luck switching this new setting around.)

• Helpful!
Reactions: MDouble00
Also, something I've tried recently was asking each member to fiddle around with the new options on THEIR side. For some people, turning off their Flash and switching between WebRTC and HLS to test it out results in a better solution for them.

It's a little gear at the bottom of our video stream. I believe there are no options unless they have Flash disabled.

(I've been running the rtmp/external connection at 720p and either 2000 or 2500 bitrate, just for reference. Have had a few people here and there tell me they have some issues, and some of them have had luck switching this new setting around.)

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely take it, and I agree sometimes it is a member-side issue. I don't wanna be negative all over the place, I just want a good stream! :)

Sorry to be a dunce, I haven't really explored options in a while. So if I just refuse to use flash I'll gain these options? Literally all of my browsers the moment I log into MFC are asking me about flash, so being able to just cut that off is already sounding like a plus. (I switch between Firefox/Chrome/and Brave) for viewing MFC. But, I"m interested in using the WebRTC/HLS options if my viewing experience improves. ? I know just by age of my PC I will have some user issues. But, since I can stream basically anything but MFC without constant issues, I generally feel MFC is "the" problem. But, I would like to see if my experience is better doing something different.

If I disable Flash on my desktop, I notice Firefox gives the option of using WebRTC for only a few rooms, but Chrome allows it for every room (so Group Shows work in Chrome but not Firefox).

MFC fulfils the role of a lonely mens club uniquely well, I haven't found another site that's the same

I guess only you models know your earnings and if things are starting to dip on the whole

MFC fulfils the role of a lonely mens club uniquely well, I haven't found another site that's the same

I guess only you models know your earnings and if things are starting to dip on the whole

What exactly does this comment add to the discussion? It's just rude and says nothing of value.

What exactly does this comment add to the discussion? It's just rude and says nothing of value.

Will MFC die: no, it's uniquely social which appeals to lonely men (of which there are a lot)

I think it's great there's somewhere where people who would be otherwise lonely can have company

Is the rude part calling it a lonely mens club? I didn't say it to be mocking or offensive, I just genuinely find that's why a lot of men gravitate towards it

I wont argue that I didn't put a ton of effort into my post and if you find it has no value then that's fair

Reactions: Mfcalana

Even with Flash disabled (on Chrome) I don't see any options?

Even with Flash disabled (on Chrome) I don't see any options?
The little gear on the bottom of a model’s video feed? Try a few rooms see if you can find one that has it.

• Helpful!
Reactions: DoD404
Ok, that seems to work in some rooms but not all. So the settings have to be right at both the model's and my end? Today MFC was just unwatchable with Flash.

Ok, that seems to work in some rooms but not all. So the settings have to be right at both the model's and my end? Today MFC was just unwatchable with Flash.

Yeah once again today I had 2 people that didn't hear me. I had this happen to myself checking a friend's room. I think theres still some work to do around all the tech stuff but they will eventually get there.

Hope folk dont mind me chiming in from an affiliates point of view (Again). Most webcam models will not know about what happened for affiliates around 2015/2016 time. Affiliates were sending millions of viewers over to myfreecams and it was probably the number 1 live cam site. They gave affiliates 15% of money spent. Affiliates had been working with them for a few years and built up some good reoccurring incomes. Then someone at MFC came up with the bright idea of removing the affiliate program. Although they still paid you for the referrals you had up to that point, you couldnt get any more signups. This obviously angered alot of people and that led to them removing all links/banners and sending them elsewhere ( Chaturbate mostly). After a while MFC must have got a shock when their traffic dropped by millions of people. They panicked and brought the affiliate program back and even put the affiliate earnings up by 15% to 20% to try and get us all back but the damage was done. Trust has been broken. If they could do it once, what stops them doing it again?. Many people just kept promoting Chaturbate and made it massive. The truth was that MFC thought they were untouchable and thought they could just cut us out after us working our asses off for years promoting them and helping get them to where they were. Although affiliates are a bit angry with a few things happening at chaturbate just now, they are a very fair company in my experience and they have never treated the affiliate community like that. Look at some of the traffic graphs people have put up in this post and you can see when the traffic started going downhill for MFC. Its because they screwed over all the affiliates. Tons of posts online about it. Here is one:

I asked MFC
Can i show only pussy ?
MFC said No! you must show face too that made me run aways from this site L0l

I asked MFC
Can i show only pussy ?
MFC said No! you must show face too that made me run aways from this site L0l
You’ve been around for a while, surely you’ve found that the face is super important in being successful.
MFC’s rule is such that they can ensure you’re the verified adult they expect to be in your room.
Socially, members are there to connect with you. The face and the talking add an element that you don’t find with prerecorded porn.

Finally MFC is doing something to solve the thecnical issues: they're banning models who complain* on twitter

Yesterdey Kickaz was banned from MFC

*complain and try to organize a strike, to be more precise

iIJehHx.jpg

I feel bad for the users who bought things from her mfc share (I didn't, but it's a red flag to me: starting today I'll download everything I'll buy)

Kickaz has been very vocal about problems with MFC for a while. In some cases, legitimately so. In others, no.

I have kind of a love/hate view of her. Her room is always very high energy, I've never had a problem with her or the members in her room while I've been in there. In fact, her and I have had some really good conversations in PM as well as joke around a lot in the room. But, she's also done some shady things and been a little on high side of drama that bothers me.

That sucks though for those of us who have content from her on MFCShare and didn't download it. It'd be nice to see MFC keep the content up for those of us who purchased it (completely gone that I can see) but not allow it to be purchased further. Though, in a way, even that might cause some issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.