AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

The great debate

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

What do you call it?

• Soda

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Pop

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Both

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 36.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I chose "both" but not meaning the words are interchangeable. When I was growing up, "soda" meant what you took for an upset stomach (Arm & Hammer Bicarbonate of Soda), and "pop" was what we called Dad. lol

So for refreshing, carbonated beverages, we called them "soda pop." Or "a coke" even though that's not really generic.

I grew up with pop, moved to NY and learned to use soda. Then ended up in an area of the south where they use Coke.

"Would you like a coke?"
"Yes, I'll have a Sprite."

So, I'm all messed up. :crybaby:

Growing up in my neck of the woods in South Texas, it was a "coke", regardless what flavor or brand you were drinking.

As in: "Going to the ice house, what kind of coke do you want"?

Later on, I was exposed to "soda" or "soda water". Now I'm in the mid-west, and it's "pop". If you ask for soda water here, you get a blank stare or the "Cuckoo Finger".

Chamaeleon said:
I grew up with pop, moved to NY and learned to use soda. Then ended up in an area of the south where they use Coke.

"Would you like a coke?"
"Yes, I'll have a Sprite."

So, I'm all messed up. :crybaby:

Haha, I usually call it by either, but once upon a time in a really small town in my state, I was asked if I wanted "a coke" and had to have the waitress explain to me in a very cute accent that she meant soda. :woops: Never heard that in my state before or since. :lol:

We say soda pop or say what actual drink it is; sprite, mountain dew, orange soda, etc. I pretty much only drink water though so usually we just say mountain dew since everyone else I know drinks it like crazy.

I grew up in nebraska, therefore I drank "pop". Probably within a few years of moving to the west coast, I started drinking "soda".
Now it sounds funny to me to call soda "pop"...
Of course in the south, you would be drinking a "coke" according to a friend of mine who lives in Mississippi. No matter what flavor!

In Britain It's always been 'POP'. I've never in my life heard anyone call it anything else....Btw tap water where I live is called 'Council Pop'.

Coke pretty much regardless of the "type" then it's usually followed by the type. I have now become more accustom to calling it soda because I worked in a restaurant that was 90% tourists and it got kinda confusing. They would tell me Coke and I would get them "Pepsi" then they would yell at me because it's not Coke. Grrh!

Reactions: Jupiter551
Hahaha, we just had this conversation in my room the other night. I grew up in New Jersey and call it soda, but everyone else in my room at the time thought that was just silly and that it really should be called pop.

Back home we always called it pop, when I was in New York it was called soda and New Mexico it was coke, I just call it whatever brand I want or a soda, granted coffee was the drink of choice up until 2 years ago. If I were to just ask someone what they would want, I would say soda and this is what I have on hand ...Coke, Root Beer, Dr. Pepper or whatever I have.

I knew about soda and pop but I never knew the whole Southern thing of it being coke, regardless of brand hahaha, that's awesome!

I imagine it creates a fair bit of confusion among visitors lol

Another confirmation of 'Coke', despite the actual flavor.
I remember the grandparents asking if I wanted to get some 'soda water' when we were heading to the store when I was visiting for the summer.

Jupiter551 said:
I knew about soda and pop but I never knew the whole Southern thing of it being coke, regardless of brand hahaha, that's awesome!

Funny story, they can lose their Trademark for that.

If ya order a "coke" here you'll get a Coca Cola or Pepsi soda. It's soda all over the West here.

Keithy said:
Jupiter551 said:

Yes, it's pretty funny to suggest that The Coca-Cola Company can lose one of the world's best known, and best protected trademarks because of that. :laughing-lettersrofl:

Sevrin said:
Yes, it's pretty funny to suggest that The Coca-Cola Company can lose one of the world's best known, and best protected trademarks because of that. :laughing-lettersrofl:

I lol'd as well!

Keithy said:
Jupiter551 said:

If I worked for pepsi I'd suggest a new slogan for the south: "When Southerners feel like a coke, they choose Pepsi!"

Sevrin said:
Keithy said:
Jupiter551 said:

Well I thought if a word, even if it's a brand name, enters common usage to describe all items of that type, it can't be trademarked anymore? It would never happen but I imagine, if it somehow did, it would only be limited to the region the court case occurred in.

Jupiter551 said:
Well I thought if a word, even if it's a brand name, enters common usage to describe all items of that type, it can't be trademarked anymore? It would never happen but I imagine, if it somehow did, it would only be limited to the region the court case occurred in.

It's a lot more complicated than that. Trademarks that are as relentlessly promoted as Coke are in no danger of being genericized. Even "Kleenex" and "Band-Aid" are still a valid trademarks, and the generic use of those words is far more widespread than that of "Coke".

kinda like vacuum cleaner and Hoover... which is the name of a brand. It became the common term for a vacuum cleaner simply because Hoover made the vast vast majority of vacuum cleaners in the UK :D People call them Hoovers (vacuum cleaners) but not in marketing etc. People still say they'll "hoover the carpet" :D

In the UK the generic term is soft drink, and "pop" when talking to kids. You can get away with "soda" if you're American though - we can cope :whistle:

:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.