AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

The great Twitch DMCA Purge. Twitch Deletes Thousands Of Streamers' Videos

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2012
NY
Before this may, twitch wasn't receiving many DMCA. But this may, representatives for major music industries started to target twitch. They started sending thousands of DMCA request per day. As a result many streamers received limited notice, before have had their whole video libraries deleted. As well as warnings they they could have their twitch accounts banned.

Music-Related Copyright Claims and Twitch
Twitch DMCA Purge Deletes Thousands Of Streamers' Videos
Copyright Lawyer Reacts: Twitch DMCAs Update & Apology

The reason I bring this up, is the adult industry may be in a similar boat. As in, they have a lack of automated tools to handle DMCA. And as the RIAA searched for more ways to make money, Models may find their marketplace, streams, and other sources of income threatened in a similar manor. As in they may find their accounts banned, and or their whole library of videos deleted as one or more targeted marketplaces scramble try to respond to a tsunami of DMCA takedown requests.

• Helpful!
Reactions: DoD404
Before this may, twitch wasn't receiving many DMCA. But this may, representatives for major music industries started to target twitch. They started sending thousands of DMCA request per day. As a result many streamers received limited notice, before have had their whole video libraries deleted. As well as warnings they they could have their twitch accounts banned.

Music-Related Copyright Claims and Twitch
Twitch DMCA Purge Deletes Thousands Of Streamers' Videos
Copyright Lawyer Reacts: Twitch DMCAs Update & Apology

The reason I bring this up, is the adult industry may be in a similar boat. As in, they have a lack of automated tools to handle DMCA. And as the RIAA searched for more ways to make money, Models may find their marketplace, streams, and other sources of income threatened in a similar manor. As in they may find their accounts banned, and or their whole library of videos deleted as one or more targeted marketplaces scramble try to respond to a tsunami of DMCA takedown requests.
Nah, they are targeting Twitch because they don’t control it yet. DMCAs are just the strategy to get them to bend the knee and possibly sell the site so they can buy it. The strategy is the same as far back as I can remember... since Windows. Buy the competition or destroy them. DMCAs are just the most convenient tool for now. The music industry won’t target adult sites in with DMCAs because they (alphabet et al) don’t want to take over

Reactions: THE MOLLIE MARIE
Nah, they are targeting Twitch because they don’t control it yet. DMCAs are just the strategy to get them to bend the knee and possibly sell the site so they can buy it. The strategy is the same as far back as I can remember... since Windows. Buy the competition or destroy them. DMCAs are just the most convenient tool for now. The music industry won’t target adult sites in with DMCAs because they (alphabet et al) don’t want to take over

Well Twitch is owned by Amazon, so clearly they aren't going to destroy them. If they were owned by an under-capitalized company I would agree with you. But in the spirit of what you are saying, it is probably a heavy-handed negotiation effort. They probably want to receive an annual streaming license payment from Twitch.

Reactions: DJ_Pioneer
IMO, it's them going after royalties for music not a takeover. YouTube had this happen to them years ago, and their solution was deleting the videos outright or strip audio from the video (I think the creator reuploaded but no music allowed).

Looking at it from a purely business standpoint, RIAA has every right to go after royalties since they support artists. Just as models and other streamers are artists and don't want their works used freely (yes I know musicians typically sign rights to label companies, but it's still about use of material). So, the question is, how to handle it? SiriusXM passes on the licensing fees to subscribers, so should hosting sites such as Twitch, MFC, CB, etc charge said fees from models/creators?

Using such a model might help alleviate the licensing issue. But, how do you handle the "air time" of songs and artists who are played more than others? Or, what about models who either don't play music at all, or play royalty-free? Who keeps track of what's been played?

It's a confusing mess that'll be a long battle I think.

So far Twitch broadcaster's live streams haven't been attacked, just their recorded VODS, which they're deleting if they have copyrighted material in them. The warnings/bans have happened due to the VODS not being deleted if they contain it.

Majority of my content is behind a paywall of some sort so I wouldn't worry about getting strikes against my main content. If and when they start attacking Twitch's live streams, THEN I might worry a tiny bit since music is a big part of my live streaming which is not behind a paywall, but ultimately I'm unconcerned for now.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Smores
Status
Not open for further replies.