AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

What is the worst book you've read? Fave/best book? #Hobbies

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't even rely on old Doc Seuss anymore, he's racist. On the upside, hasn't come up in the current Hollywood scandal festival.
Well, if we look down into ourselves, we're all a beat racist. I can read Shakespeare without being a self hating Jew, it's just Wagner that bores me so much, unless it's the Looney Toons version.
Kill the Wabbit:)

When he remembers to finish his stories. Reading “Sleeping Beauties”, Owen's on the case so there should be an ending.

Well there was an ending, and it fit with the style of the novel. If you don't like self appointed white knights, this isn't the book for you. If you like men congratulating themselves for a story where all men are bad, all women are victims and they learned this by visiting a women's prison for an afternoon, then go for it. If you don't mind that you won't care they wrote paper thin female characters who are either male characters relabeled or independently moody without explanation.

It was a nice setup. Oh, but also completely glossed over a hostage plot point between two writers and an editor which completely dismisses one part of the setup. Pretty amateurish really, which was the biggest surprise to the book.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Gen
Well there was an ending, and it fit with the style of the novel. If you don't like self appointed white knights, this isn't the book for you. If you like men congratulating themselves for a story where all men are bad, all women are victims and they learned this by visiting a women's prison for an afternoon, then go for it. If you don't mind that you won't care they wrote paper thin female characters who are either male characters relabeled or independently moody without explanation.

It was a nice setup. Oh, but also completely glossed over a hostage plot point between two writers and an editor which completely dismisses one part of the setup. Pretty amateurish really, which was the biggest surprise to the book.
*strikes from TBR list*
Thanks for this, that would’ve bugged the hell outta me.

Can't even rely on old Doc Seuss anymore, he's racist. On the upside, hasn't come up in the current Hollywood scandal festival.

People have been talking about the racist work of Dr. Seuss for a very long time. It's not like this is some big reveal of a secret stash of racist rantings -- this is imagery that is published and widely distributed to this day. As stated in your linked article, the work very much is a product of the time, and should be looked at in the context of prevailing attitudes present when he was working, in the same way that people old Looney Tunes, for example. Updating his public legacy to align with current social values is fair enough, I suppose, but I don't think it's a great idea for folks to try to bury or dismiss his work because of certain specific pieces. Just as important to his legacy is the fact that, despite having created some truly outrageous racist propaganda, he also proved to be a complex person, capable of seeing the harm in such attitudes, changing his mindset, and drawing from that change to create classic stories.

And while I hate to get current-eventsy in this book thread, it does strike me that the catalyst to this particular tempest in a teapot feels like it was done mostly as a Trump snub.

Reactions: DFT
Absolutely Zip, meant it to be flippant.

On to a new space opera - well, revisiting one I read the first part of awhile back. Joe Zieja is doing humorous sci-fi, and the first book book of the Epic Failure trilogy I really enjoyed. Now that I'm in to the second book I'm laughing again. He must have been a corny math teacher in a previous life, or is destined to be that uncle who talks in puns in the next. It's light, fun and just to be safe never accept a gem encrusted protractor from a woman you don't know.

I have always young adult fantasy books like court of mist and fury, and Chronicles of the Emerged World by Licia Troisi.

F---king hated Twilight. rubbish.

Worst was the Peppa Pig book my baby cousin wanted me to read to her whenever I was around.. best to this point would have to be The Perennial Philosophy by Aldous Huxley

Attachments

• IMG_20171201_020754.jpg
    IMG_20171201_020754.jpg
    963.1 KB · Views: 0
how do I use multiquote? on another forum they just show up on the comment box, but here I dunno! Will do because I'm a sucker for anything new film/theatre/books related, especially from a culture I'm not familiar with.

I've never been able to get the multi-quote thing to work. I just cut/paste as I go if I want to multi-quote. Kinda hackish. But, it works.

I love reading. I just don't get time to do it like I should. :(

At the time, casual racism was the default position. He grew out of it as best he could.

It's like Disney's "Song of the South" about Uncle Remus and Brer rabbit. Disney pulled it years ago and will most likely never see light of day again. While it has racism in it, I think it's a shame that it won't be seen again. It's a part of history, and can be used as a learning aide for what is/isn't acceptable.

http://screencrush.com/song-of-the-south-racism/

I just read “The Martian” and what the fuck. Everyone said it was amazing. I loved the movie. The story is so cool. But the writing was SO BAD. I had his new book in my bookstore cart and I’m *so* happy I didn’t buy it because apparently it’s more of the same. Maybe if I’d gotten it when it was free on Amazon, or if I didn’t already know the outcome I’d have liked it, but my goodness. The dialogue and all of the writing just killed me.

I just read “The Martian” and what the fuck. Everyone said it was amazing. I loved the movie. The story is so cool. But the writing was SO BAD. I had his new book in my bookstore cart and I’m *so* happy I didn’t buy it because apparently it’s more of the same. Maybe if I’d gotten it when it was free on Amazon, or if I didn’t already know the outcome I’d have liked it, but my goodness. The dialogue and all of the writing just killed me.

Honestly, I thought the movie sucked. Almost walked out of it half-way through. But, kept thinking it'd get .better..

Honestly, I thought the movie sucked. Almost walked out of it half-way through. But, kept thinking it'd get .better..
Yeah, the friend I saw it with felt the same way. I think the main character is quite polarizing too. But I have a giant crush on both Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain, and Jeff Daniels reminds me of my dad lol, so I was into it.

Yeah, the friend I saw it with felt the same way. I think the main character is quite polarizing too. But I have a giant crush on both Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain, and Jeff Daniels reminds me of my dad lol, so I was into it.

I'm not really a fan of Matt Damon. About the only things I liked him in are the Bourne series and tolerated him in "Saving Private Ryan". Brother's Grimm was okay as well. Other than that, he annoys me. He's one of many hypocritical Hollywood stars who makes millions on violence and movies with guns. Yet, is hard-core for gun control and against violence. For me, one with such political stances would tend to shy away from things which they are against. But, money can make people stupid and go against their convictions.

What? The book was brilliant. Science, snark, vulgarity: a crisis with consequence.

The movie cut a shit ton out, (except growing potatoes in the former) and has zero crisis since Matt Damon never dies in a movie. It was a rush job, not bad for what it was, but can we have a low budget sci-fi that tells the story instead of hiring an actor who will ensure overseas profits?

What? The book was brilliant. Science, snark, vulgarity: a crisis with consequence.

The movie cut a shit ton out, (except growing potatoes in the former) and has zero crisis since Matt Damon never dies in a movie. It was a rush job, not bad for what it was, but can we have a low budget sci-fi that tells the story instead of hiring an actor who will ensure overseas profits?
I thought it was obvious from the NASA involvement that they wouldn’t kill him in the movie, even before I saw it. The humour in The Martian reminded me of the early 2000s, where things were ~sOoOoO random~, I swear to god when he started using “pirate ninjas” as a measurement I wanted to throw the book across the room. The science was interesting but I felt like it worked better with the visuals of the movie. Idk maybe the protagonist reminded me too much of an annoying ex who was book smart but had the same shitty sense of humour (who, unsurprisingly, loved this book) and so I couldn’t get into it. Also, the only major part of consequence they cut out that I noticed was the dust storm. I thought it was a fairly faithful adaptation overall.

Also, it’s been a decade so not sorry for spoilers, have you not seen The Departed?!

• Funny!
Reactions: MDouble00
Don't think I have. Probably figured Ben would show up and passed on it.

What I loved about the book was the tedious stuff that doesn't translate. Having to do EVAs to cut the roof of the rover, and how perilous that easy, on earth, exercise would be. EVAs just to dust the solar collectors. Every little problem that cropped up: the things that look simple and easy from afar that take endless time and toil.

But then I enjoy "Master and Commander" the movie on each viewing while I only made it halfway through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series of books. Wasn't the sort of detail that appealed to me so the movie was the better device.

I haven't watched The Martian, so I can't express an opinion on it, by what I see I won't purchase the book anytime soon lol.

The memoirs of a geisha was on my wishlist now for a year or two and didn't buy it yet, I so will. I cannot wait to see the movie, because I love the actress who plays the geisha.

One of my favourite books is World War Z; I’ve been hearing forever that the audiobook is amazing - the author is Mel Brooks’ son so he got a bunch of talented actors to participate, I think I’m going to buy it for my commute.

Not sure if anyone else likes audiobooks, but usually Audible on Amazon pesters me with a one-month trial; this morning it appears to be a three-month trial with Prime. So if you’re interested now might be the time to check it out.

Reactions: Hazel Klariss
I love audiobooks, and enjoyed how that one is structured. It's curious how many prefer the oral history version to the book. Strange thing, I bought that book when it came out and it's been on the shelf feet away from me all these years - never opened it, but enjoyed the audiobook.

As you read it first I'm quite interested in your review of the audio version.

Worst - Book 10 of Wheel of Time series - Crossroads of Twilight.

Best - Book 7 of Sword of Truth series - Faith of the Fallen.

I was just at BooksaMillion earlier today looking for a new one I want. Words of Radiance - Brandon Sanderson.

I love reading. The books are always much better than the movie.

I don't have to much time to read in last times , but I still remember how much I enjoyed The Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle...

Status
Not open for further replies.