AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Why am I an angry Atheist?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT:
NovaNirvana said:
I'm *NOT* always a fan of how this country is run.

Typing too fast, curse you firey passion! :woops:

Reactions: Red7227
NovaNirvana said:
Telling someone to "shut up or leave" is incredibly insensitive.

Actually i said shut up, leave, or spend the 2 generations its going to take to change the way things are. Vote for the people in congress and the house of reps that are going to support the sort of government you want. Put pressure on the schools to make religious studies optional and make sure they teach science based subjects rather than hearsay based as fact. The USA is like Australia in the 60s. It took decades for a veneer of equal opportunity to be laid over society. When I was working as an electrician we had the first female apprentice electricians come though. The older guys were absolute pigs and the younger guys were fine with it. 30 years later there still aren't many, but no one says they shouldn't be there any more. Back in about 1990 we had legislation to block smoking in government buildings, but no one had acted on it. I make a complaint about the smoking where I was having lunch. It wasn't easy and the hostility was massive, but the government backed me and it went though, making my building the first smoke free workplace in Victoria. 2 years later every building in Victoria was smokefree.

Reactions: LadyLuna
NovaNirvana said:
BluexDakota said:
I could honestly care less what is written on our currency or even what Westboro cooks up so long as it doesn't directly interfere in someone else's life.

I just want to add, that when it comes to groups like the WBC, and other religious groups that are openly hateful towards others (WBC gets called out by name because they are blatantly and unapologetically against gays, and have even attempted to protest the funerals of CHILDREN recently, thinking it was "god's punishment" for allowing gay marriage in the state...) THOSE actions are harmful.

Just wanted to add to that part that I completely agree that WBC has been extremely harmful in their acts that they have done. I was somewhat referring to the fact that Westboro has finally been labeled a hate group so the government will at least be getting a bit stricter on them.

I was just trying to respond to Hi's whole "if WBC offends you by spewing homophobic hate at funerals get over" thing. On that note, I don't feel like WBC should be included alongside nativity scenes and "In God We Trust" etc. as it's a totally separate thing--those are just passive representations that don't affect anyone on a truly harmful way, whereas Westboro does hurt the families of innocent victims.

Westboro is kind of a whole different subject in general anyway. They just like the attention and money they receive from winning lawsuits against them. I seriously doubt anyone but Fred actually takes any of their statements to heart. I'm sure they've been brainwashed enough to believe it but not with much more passion than the average homophobic, religious extremist...

Red7227 said:
NovaNirvana said:
Telling someone to "shut up or leave" is incredibly insensitive.

Actually i said shut up, leave, or spend the 2 generations its going to take to change the way things are. Vote for the people in congress and the house of reps that are going to support the sort of government you want. Put pressure on the schools to make religious studies optional and make sure they teach science based subjects rather than hearsay based as fact.

Oh geez. Okay, here is what you said:

Then stop living in a country full of uneducated rednecks. Education destroys religion, that is why people in Europe, Australia, Canada and the like can say ignore the whole thing. Teaching natural selection is schools exclusively with fix all of your problems in a generation or two. We have an Atheist PM who is not married to her partner. We didn't get to this point by teaching crap like bible as history in schools.

You obviously don't understand how to word things properly. In that specific statement, you say that we need to "stop living in a country full of uneducated rednecks". Then you go on about how much better other countries are and how teaching natural selection exclusively in school will fix all of our problems... which is kind of somewhat ridiculous thing to propose considering natural selection is taught in our schools. Honestly, very few schools even teach creationism side-by-side, but all include evolution.

You never said for us to stay and try to fix it, you just stated what you believe could. Just saying.

Red7227 said:
BluexDakota said:
Couldn't agree more! How rude is it for someone to tell someone to "keep it to themselves". I'm constantly bombarded with Christianity around me in so many forms. I see heterosexual couples everywhere I go being affectionate even if just having an arm around one another, but how dare I hold my girlfriend's hand while waiting somewhere. I was asked to say grace in public high school in class.

It's everywhere.

Then stop living in a country full of uneducated rednecks. Education destroys religion, that is why people in Europe, Australia, Canada and the like can say ignore the whole thing. Teaching natural selection is schools exclusively with fix all of your problems in a generation or two. We have an Atheist PM who is not married to her partner. We didn't get to this point by teaching crap like bible as history in schools.

hahahaha, red.....you crack me up
we got uneducated people of all persuasions in this country
and a good number that are educated

you speak sometimes in language that paints america as a stereotypical image you carry in your mind....whether i agree or disagree with the image is immaterial

i only know that it's insulting to be included it in because i'm american....for the sake of some point in a discussion that you won't otherwise take the time to make.

I just wanted to add, that I live in Bible Belt, pretty far into the Deep South. I went to a high school with no more than 300-400 students with a future farmers club, general agg clubs, and more Christian affiliated clubs than I can remember (Crusaders Club, Christian Spirit, Christ Society, etc).

Creationism was never taught in our textbooks.

We had crucifixes and our moments of silence where teachers would pray to themselves in front of the class... but not a word on the Christian god was in our textbooks. I remember being taught about Darwinism and all that goes with it, but never a thing about God.

In fact, I went to Christian school as a child up to junior high school and I wasn't even taught "scientific creationism" there. But evolution wasn't taught there, either... but it was a privately funded school that didn't rely on public money. It also didn't have more than 150 students in the entire school from kindergarten to senior year.

I went to two other public schools, middle school and transferred to a bigger high school a few cities away and was never taught creationism. I live in super redneck county where everyone listens to country music, goes hunting, four wheeling, owns a couple of dogs, and has a truck. Including myself, except for the hunting part.

I really don't understand where this whole the US not teaching "natural selection" comes from.

BluexDakota said:
I just wanted to add, that I live in Bible Belt, pretty far into the Deep South. I went to a high school with no more than 300-400 students with a future farmers club, general agg clubs, and more Christian affiliated clubs than I can remember (Crusaders Club, Christian Spirit, Christ Society, etc).

Creationism was never taught in our textbooks.

We had crucifixes and our moments of silence where teachers would pray to themselves in front of the class... but not a word on the Christian god was in our textbooks. I remember being taught about Darwinism and all that goes with it, but never a thing about God.

In fact, I went to Christian school as a child up to junior high school and I wasn't even taught "scientific creationism" there. But evolution wasn't taught there, either... but it was a privately funded school that didn't rely on public money. It also didn't have more than 150 students in the entire school from kindergarten to senior year.

I went to two other public schools, middle school and transferred to a bigger high school a few cities away and was never taught creationism. I live in super redneck county where everyone listens to country music, goes hunting, four wheeling, owns a couple of dogs, and has a truck. Including myself, except for the hunting part.

I really don't understand where this whole the US not teaching "natural selection" comes from.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012 ... essee-bill

http://ncse.com/creationism

http://www.nationalacademies.org/evolut ... hools.html

Red7227 said:

You really wouldn't know anything about it unless you are actually living in the midst of it.

It's like me taking the most controversial new reports or laws and claiming that the entire nation is ignorant and doomed because of a small incident of it. Yes, there are SOME places that teach it. But MOST places do not. That means that the majority of the US does not teach creationism or intelligent design. That also means that we are taught evolution in school regardless what is taught side-by-side it--but very few counties in these few states that allow the teaching of it will even buy books that include it. The districts that would even consider adopting this teaching method are often too poor and under funded and books aren't usually their top priority or even in their budget. We had books that were well over 10 years old ourselves, and our school was pretty well funded compared to most of the state.

Is it talked about a lot? Yeah. And most people around here in school think it's silly that they were even trying to pass intelligent design laws.

But what does it matter, you'll only believe what you want to believe even if it's mostly based on opinions and stereotypes and you've never experienced it first hand.

BluexDakota said:
Red7227 said:

You really wouldn't know anything about it unless you are actually living in the midst of it.

It's like me taking the most controversial new reports or laws and claiming that the entire nation is ignorant and doomed because of a small incident of it. Yes, there are SOME places that teach it. But MOST places do not. That means that the majority of the US does not teach creationism or intelligent design. That also means that we are taught evolution in school regardless what is taught side-by-side it--but very few counties in these few states that allow the teaching of it will even buy books that include it. The districts that would even consider adopting this teaching method are often too poor and under funded and books aren't usually their top priority or even in their budget. We had books that were well over 10 years old ourselves, and our school was pretty well funded compared to most of the state.

Is it talked about a lot? Yeah. And most people around here in school think it's silly that they were even trying to pass intelligent design laws.

But what does it matter, you'll only believe what you want to believe even if it's mostly based on opinions and stereotypes and you've never experienced it first hand.

Red you seem have trouble with the concept of how reporting works in the modern world. It focus on things that are unusual. I could post links the curriculum of the 99,897 school in the country which don't talk about intelligent design, but nobody would care because it isn't news.

I am curious how much time you've spent in the State how many American friends you have etc. I have met plenty of ignorant and obnoxious, Aussie. In fact, I meet an Aussie most weeks. But having spent time in your country, worked with 1/2 dozen Aussies, and spent 6 weeks touring Europe with 30 odd young Australian after graduating from college, I know that it isn't the country portrayed in Crocodile Dundee movies.

BluexDakota said:
It's like me taking the most controversial new reports or laws and claiming that the entire nation is ignorant and doomed because of a small incident of it. Yes, there are SOME places that teach it. But MOST places do not. That means that the majority of the US does not teach creationism or intelligent design.

Well, you are the one whining about how backwards and unfair it is in the US, what do you plan to do about it? Whine some more?

Red7227 said:
BluexDakota said:
It's like me taking the most controversial new reports or laws and claiming that the entire nation is ignorant and doomed because of a small incident of it. Yes, there are SOME places that teach it. But MOST places do not. That means that the majority of the US does not teach creationism or intelligent design.

Well, you are the one whining about how backwards and unfair it is in the US, what do you plan to do abut it? Whine some more?
Seriously, talking about it is about all we can do. Talk (or whine) may be cheap, but in the end, it's talk that gets things changed. I mean, it's not like you can get a shovel and move some earth and expect it will change people's feelings toward philosophical questions. So we talk...and talk...and hope it makes some small difference.

Red, I don't get all pissed off at you for making rather hot headed (sounding) posts occasionally. Reading all your posts and taking them as a gestalt, I figure you're a pretty nice fellow. :) Not to mention, I'm guilty of making bone-headed posts myself. lol

A guy I really respect on this topic is Neal deGrasse Tyson. Here he makes some comments that include why America gets a bad rap sometimes when it's not completely deserved.

Nordling said:
A guy I really respect on this topic is Neal deGrasse Tyson. Here he makes some comments that include why America gets a bad rap sometimes when it's not completely deserved.

Of course. My first throw away comments that get the reactions could probably be better worded, but its only the internet and I really don't care. As Dakota noted, there is something seriously amiss with the way things work in the USA compared to other countries with very high standards of education. Education does destroy religion, and it has across Europe and Australasia. My mother died at 77 Catholic firmly believing the world was created 10,000 years ago. Dad died at 85 believing that were was one god and that humans developed via natural selection, however, but these days, finding anyone under 40 that actually believes in gods is actually pretty hard.

There is something seriously amiss with education in the US, you guys need to work out what it is and change it for your kids when they go to school.

Red7227 said:
Nordling said:

Of course. My first throw away comments that get the reactions could probably be better worded, but its only the internet and I really don't care. As Dakota noted, there is something seriously amiss with the way things work in the USA compared to other countries with very high standards of education. Education does destroy religion, and it has across Europe and Australasia. My mother died at 77 Catholic firmly believing the world was created 10,000 years ago. Dad died at 85 believing that were was one god and that humans developed via natural selection, however, but these days, finding anyone under 40 that actually believes in gods is actually pretty hard.

There is something seriously amiss with education in the US, you guys need to work out what it is and change it for your kids when they go to school.

Really?

Nobel Laureates Australia 13, United States of America 338.
Population: Australia 22,620,000 US. 311,597,000

You do the math..

Oh I am pretty sure most US Nobel Laureates believe in God.

HiGirlsRHot said:

You do the math..

90 Jewish laureates from how many people. Makes the US look like a bunch of inbread retards by comparison.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Je ... _laureates

Red7227 said:
HiGirlsRHot said:

You do the math..

90 Jewish laureates from how many people. Makes the US look like a bunch of inbread retards by comparison.

My the irony of you bringing out a list of Jewish Nobel Laureates, within a few hours of posting this gem is just priceless.
Red7227 said:
As Dakota noted, there is something seriously amiss with the way things work in the USA compared to other countries with very high standards of education. Education does destroy religion, and it has across Europe and Australasia. My mother died at 77 Catholic firmly believing the world was created 10,000 years ago. Dad died at 85 believing that were was one god and that humans developed via natural selection, however, but these days, finding anyone under 40 that actually believes in gods is actually pretty hard.

It seems that you are suggesting that getting rid of religion makes people smarter and better. The only data point (of dubious value) I could find says there are 67 non-believer Nobel Laureates vs more than 90 Jewish winners. So lets see there are 13 million Jews in the world, by amazing coincidence there is just under 13 million (Median age of Australia is 37.3 years) under 40 year old Australian who you seem to think are pretty much all godless. So lets compare the achievements of this group of religious folks the Jews, vs you Godless young Aussies. Ok there are some really hot actors, actresses, and singers, some impressive athletes especially in swimming and who else?
If anything the data suggests that either being more religious increases your chances to win a Nobel Laureate or more likely really smart people believe in God. Obviously if Australia wants to catch up in the brains department they need to become more religious.

I hear Westboro Baptist is looking to expand internationally, you can have them free of charge :).

HiGirlsRHot said:
Red7227 said:
HiGirlsRHot said:

You do the math..

My the irony of you bringing out a list of Jewish Nobel Laureates, within a few hours of posting this gem is just priceless.
Red7227 said:
As Dakota noted, there is something seriously amiss with the way things work in the USA compared to other countries with very high standards of education. Education does destroy religion, and it has across Europe and Australasia. My mother died at 77 Catholic firmly believing the world was created 10,000 years ago. Dad died at 85 believing that were was one god and that humans developed via natural selection, however, but these days, finding anyone under 40 that actually believes in gods is actually pretty hard.

It seems that you are suggesting that getting rid of religion makes people smarter and better. The only data point (of dubious value) I could find says there are 67 non-believer Nobel Laureates vs more than 90 Jewish winners. So lets see there are 13 million Jews in the world, by amazing coincidence there is just under 13 million (Median age of Australia is 37.3 years) under 40 year old Australian who you seem to think are pretty much all godless. So lets compare the achievements of this group of religious folks the Jews, vs you Godless young Aussies. Ok there are some really hot actors, actresses, and singers, some impressive athletes especially in swimming and who else?
If anything the data suggests that either being more religious increases your chances to win a Nobel Laureate or more likely really smart people believe in God. Obviously if Australia wants to catch up in the brains department they need to become more religious.

I hear Westboro Baptist is looking to expand internationally, you can have them free of charge :).

No I'm using a random wiki thread to wind you up and waste your time with a reply.

I'm done with this thread, Red doesn't know how to make proper responses without getting all crybaby, 'You're WHINING, you're WHINING".

Dude, get a grip, I was stating the facts. You don't know what I do for my community. I don't like religion as much as the next person but your stereotypes and opinions are not fully warranted especially for the level in which you type/word your responses. Especially coming from somebody who really seems seems to speak before they think considering you refuse to watch or read anything put in front of you on the subject,

Out.

Red7227 said:
No I'm using a random wiki thread to wind you up and waste your time with a reply.

It's cool I enjoy making elitist snobs look stupid. Of course you are capable of doing this without my help.

We most often get something changed in the U.S. when there's great outrage against it; very few issues are even approached unless a great many people — or perhaps only a few very powerful people — have a problem and are very vocal about it. Literally, loudly complaining is our best option. That is why I can be angry and loud at times; if you aren't getting anyone's attention, you aren't changing a thing.

I finally got to watch this the other day.

First: I am religious. I have always been Christian, and I was Catholic for 10ish years (11.5-22 years old).

Second: I am American. I believe in Evolution. I was taught Evolution in school, and Creationism was given a two sentence "Some people believe in this other theory and if you do that's fine". This was in a BAPTIST school, by a BAPTIST science teacher. Southern Baptist at that *shudders*. Granted, the Baptist preacher was our religion teacher and he actually taught us more about Islam, Judiasm, and Hinduism than about Christianity... so maybe not the most normal Southern Baptist community.

So, with that firmly in mind:

-I agree with everything she is angry about. I am angry about those things too. I am also angry about the fact that most all community service type organizations are Christian, and a whole lot of them require you to be part of the attached church if you want to participate.

-I agree that you have to be angry to get something changed, and that you have to be loud about it.

-I do not agree that religions are inherently bad. I think they are inherently open to misuse by the bigoted and the power-hungry, and that they fall prey to those types of people far too often. I think the bigoted and the power-hungry who use religion to do bad things are the cause of the bad rap that religions get.

on other topics in this thread:

-What's wrong with America's education systems is mostly not at the level of the schools. It's at the level of the parents. The problem with the schools is that they keep trying to cater to the parents. They don't place children according to the child's abilities (I'm using child loosely here, as anyone still in grade school). They place children by a mix of age and what the parents or children claim the children's abilities are, whether those abilities are being over or under stated. So children can't understand the concepts, or get too bored to do well.

The problem with parents is, sometimes, they directly contradict the teacher. As a math teacher, I had one student whose parent had corrected their math homework, but the parent didn't understand that anything raised to the power of zero is 1, so the student got any answer dealing with that wrong. And when I tried to correct the parent, I was told that I need to stop teaching lies to the child, and the parent obviously knows this better than I do. :roll:

Parents teach their children false information, and to be closed-minded. They teach their children to reject anything that contradicts the first thing they heard. They teach their children to absorb information without learning how to think about it. They teach their children that the teachers don't know anything and don't deserve respect. So when parents stop doing that to their children, the situation can be changed.

It's really fucking sad that we have to outlaw hate in this country. That shouldn't HAVE to be a law, that should be just common decency. Makes me wonder if hate is hereditary, and if Americans in general just have more of the hate gene...

Hello! Just passing through. I watched the video and read your comments. Note: This is just my opinion. Intimidating those with opposing views with anger will only close their doors tighter to understand your position, this applies to anyone. We are all seeking peace and salvation. It's hard and an easy temptation to be angered and become a bit misanthropic, but with some hope and kindred-spirited acts to all the diverse humans this world has to offer, I think we are much closer to becoming a more humane society. May our actions and words be more conscious. May we all remind ourselves, and often, that everyone is struggling and that everyone has a story :animals-cat:

Her rant did seem to go on too long but I agreed with most of it even though I claim "Not sure what I am and don't care right now" rather than atheism.

Having also grown up in the Bible Belt where Southern Baptists are the norm, I get tired of Christianity being thrown in my face despite being raised Lutheran (ELCA) for 15 years myself. I get upset about religious beliefs trying to hijack things to which it should have no correlation. I get tired of people OPENLY judging me when they find out I'm not Christian any more.

And then there's the "war on Christianity/Christmas". It brings out all of those Angry Christians. Does that sound like an oxymoron to you? As I left work before this nice long vacation that ends after today (Woohoo for the school schedule at the university), I said "Happy Holidays" to everyone in my office on my way out the door. One of our contract workers made it a point to mention that HE says Merry Christmas. Sorry for trying to be inclusive of everyone. Go ahead and wish me a Merry Christmas. I won't correct you. Please don't correct me when I do not.

I guess I am one of the "Keep it to yourself" crowd because that's how I myself behave. I believe religion should be a personal choice and about a relationship between you and God. Practicing with like-minded individuals is perfectly acceptable. Putting it on display and pervading government and secular life with it makes me sad. I temper that feeling of "keep it to yourself" with my desire to be tolerant and inclusive of others... though I suspect I will forever struggle with those who are content to be ignorant of the world around them.

Luna, I agree that a good portion of the problem with education in the US currently is the parents, both for the reasons you give and since "parents" make up the largest bloc of voters, that general disrespect for teachers and education in general is why schools aren't being adequately funded, and possibly why the dedicated teachers of the past may eventually become extinct. Frustration makes it difficult to be dedicated to something, no matter how important.

Mirra said:
And then there's the "war on Christianity/Christmas". It brings out all of those Angry Christians. Does that sound like an oxymoron to you? As I left work before this nice long vacation that ends after today (Woohoo for the school schedule at the university), I said "Happy Holidays" to everyone in my office on my way out the door. One of our contract workers made it a point to mention that HE says Merry Christmas. Sorry for trying to be inclusive of everyone. Go ahead and wish me a Merry Christmas. I won't correct you. Please don't correct me when I do not.

I've never understood this happy holidays thing thing. We say merry christmas and tell anyone who has a problem with it to get a grip. We also with Asians happy new year, Greeks happy Easter and Jews happy Easter too. We both know its not actually called that, but they take it as well wishing anyway.

Mirra said:
I get upset about religious beliefs trying to hijack things to which it should have no correlation. I get tired of people OPENLY judging me when they find out I'm not Christian any more.

That you really don't see here. I never mentioned to my parents that I was no longer catholic, but that was to protect their feelings. Australians have had to become a lot more tolerant with all the the "sub continentals" about as my Bangladeshi friend at work calls them. Seeing someone praying to a really tacky painting of Ganesha they brought to work on a USB drive during break takes some getting used to. Overall though, religion is seen as private and personal and no one's business but their own.

CarinaChateau said:
Hello! Just passing through. I watched the video and read your comments. Note: This is just my opinion. Intimidating those with opposing views with anger will only close their doors tighter to understand your position, this applies to anyone. We are all seeking peace and salvation. It's hard and an easy temptation to be angered and become a bit misanthropic, but with some hope and kindred-spirited acts to all the diverse humans this world has to offer, I think we are much closer to becoming a more humane society. May our actions and words be more conscious. May we all remind ourselves, and often, that everyone is struggling and that everyone has a story :animals-cat:
Carina!!!! Omg, you have to get model status!!! By the way, I adore your photo love. :h:
Sorry for the hijack...please continue. :p

Reactions: helloimc
LadyLuna said:
It's really fucking sad that we have to outlaw hate in this country. That shouldn't HAVE to be a law, that should be just common decency. Makes me wonder if hate is hereditary, and if Americans in general just have more of the hate gene...

It has to be done. Australia was created to get racist legislation enacted (the dictation test http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigratio ... n_Act_1901 ) and we remained a bunch of self absorbed bigots up until the 50s. With the appearance of migrants from Europe after WWII bigotry changed and became less hostile, Wogs and Skips could still be friends while calling each other names. After Vietnam we had an influx of Vietnamese who have also been assimilated, though there are still those who hate them for no rational reason. The government legislated and educated to take the hostile slang like wog and slopehead out of the Australia vocabulary.

These days its mostly the migrants that divide up into groups and beat each other senseless, but Australians as a whole are a fairly tolerant lot thanks to 30 years of concerted effort by the government.

PlayboyMegan said:
CarinaChateau said:
Carina!!!! Omg, you have to get model status!!! By the way, I adore your photo love. :h:
Sorry for the hijack...please continue. :p

I'm hoping to get approval Friday, I believe I applied correctly! Happy to join the community with you Megan!

It took a VERY stubborn and opinionated ex to make me see that light on the subject. I just knew I wanted to be the exact opposite of him when I heard his debates.
P.S. He was the ex you met :icon-lol:

Reactions: PlayboyMegan
Red7227 said:
Bocefish said:
Red7227 said:
These days its mostly the migrants that divide up into groups and beat each other senseless, but Australians as a whole are a fairly tolerant lot thanks to 30 years of concerted effort by the government.

And you compare that to America?

In what way?

I am American, so when I say "this country", I'm talking about America.

Reactions: PlayboyMegan
Status
Not open for further replies.