AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Why So Many Silent Viewers on CB and MFC?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2017
I was exchanging e-mail with a model I have become good friends with, and in a discussion I asked her to list things she least liked about being a webcam model. Near the top of her list was that so many men will sit in her room for hours and never tip and never say a word. I have to admit this is pretty creepy. I have been in rooms where there are 2000 people, and fewer than four of us are tipping and fewer than 10 are chatting. So my question for all of you is what exactly do you think all of these guys are doing for hours on end?

I doubt they are "chaturbating" for hours watching just one model. Maybe they have dozens of chat rooms open and they just scan them frequently? Maybe they are just recording shows and not actually there? Are they really just sitting there, silent and just watching? For the grey users, I often wonder if those are just bots created to boost someone's advertising revenues. Maybe some of these people are shy or lonely to the point of being dysfunctional?

In those situations where only a few of us tip and there are large numbers of people on the user list, I sometimes call out to the room to help with a goal or tipping. If those were viewers who were engaged in the show, you would at least expect some of them to flip you off and say something hostile. But the usual response is complete silence. So, yeah, it's creepy.

reasons for silent viewers

• broke
  • shy
  • straight up lurking
  • busy jerking off
  • language barrier
  • no sound
  • busy screencapping
  • bots to boost room view
  • god only knows why

I was exchanging e-mail with a model I have become good friends with, and in a discussion I asked her to list things she least liked about being a webcam model. Near the top of her list was that so many men will sit in her room for hours and never tip and never say a word. I have to admit this is pretty creepy. I have been in rooms where there are 2000 people, and fewer than four of us are tipping and fewer than 10 are chatting. So my question for all of you is what exactly do you think all of these guys are doing for hours on end?

Realistically... most of the time nobody cares. Most members tend to concentrate on their own business in a room and leave everyone else to their own jam.:nod:

In those situations where only a few of us tip and there are large numbers of people on the user list, I sometimes call out to the room to help with a goal or tipping. If those were viewers who were engaged in the show, you would at least expect some of them to flip you off and say something hostile. But the usual response is complete silence. So, yeah, it's creepy.

It's never a good idea to berate other members in a room, nor try to cheerlead them on. Members like to tip (or not!) at their own pace. They do not need another member telling them how and when to spend. Remember... it's NOT your room, so it's not your job to try to extract tips from the resident audience. It often has the reverse effect and members will just sit on their hands and wait till the offending guy clams up or goes away. Don't be "that guy".

:cool:

I think a lot of guys will open multiple rooms all at the same time and then actually stay and watch/talk in the ones they feel like that can - or the ones the model is doing more for what they are enjoying. But then a lot of rooms don't allow greys to chat so that's another thing you have to consider, so even when a grey goes into a room, he/she may not even try to make a comment because they assume the room does not allow. OR they are allowed but the model has lots of bots running not allowing them to do anything pretty much.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
reasons for silent viewers

• broke
  • shy
  • straight up lurking
  • busy jerking off
  • language barrier
  • no sound
  • busy screencapping
  • bots to boost room view
  • god only knows why
I would like to add fell asleep to the list. That has happened to me a couple of times, not because I was bored but after 3am there are no guarantees that I will be able to stay awake. :)

I would like to add fell asleep to the list. That has happened to me a couple of times, not because I was bored but after 3am there are no guarantees that I will be able to stay awake. :)

I've been scared shitless because I forgot I had a model's room open in another window still. She went offline, I went about my business on the computer, and when it was time for her second shift, there was suddenly sound coming from my computer that I didn't expect, and I about fell off the couch, then I figure out what it was, told her, and started chatting.

I think a lot of guys have multiple model rooms open waiting for some action to happen. I'm guessing that most have all or all but one room muted so that why they don't answer. I'm baffled though why so many do it day after day. If I know I'm only going to lurk for a session, I pretty much always do it as a guest.

When i joined MFC in 2012 yr there was couple girls that at least tried to challenge me into doing stuff, or trying to convince me that they are genuine.. and after they left (last one i was more friendly with left about 15 months ago...) all i stumble upon and have any conversation about is "can u tickle my pussy with pink parasite worm???" or most imaginative one asking "hur" instead of "hru".. its sad what industry have done and always see only small picture about everything.. but hey, all what matters is that few make huge bucks along.

When i joined MFC in 2012 yr there was couple girls that at least tried to challenge me into doing stuff, or trying to convince me that they are genuine.. and after they left (last one i was more friendly with left about 15 months ago...) all i stumble upon and have any conversation about is "can u tickle my pussy with pink parasite worm???" or most imaginative one asking "hur" instead of "hru".. its sad what industry have done and always see only small picture about everything.. but hey, all what matters is that few make huge bucks along.
I feel like you may be missing the more genuine interactive rooms... if all you're finding is rooms that have pink pussy ticklers and can't type HRU correctly, are you looking at the more popular rooms? Or do you avoid those for some reason?

From the model side of things there are many mistakes a model can make that will make viewers watch silently from the sidelines instead of interacting... if she talks only to her regulars and her room has a lot of inner jokes, if she ignores new tippers if they tip small or new people talking if they aren’t tipping, if she has greys muted off the bat, if she has an overpowering mod, if she looks like she Is bored.

Personally, I like a room with lots of people talking and engaging with the show so I do my best to keep it animated. There will always be silent people, it’s just a reality but there is a margin of viewers that could talk or not, and I like to motivate them to talk

I guess most guys are not very good at one-handed typing. Bloody amateur pervs!

This! The stuff that gets typed out sometimes is hilarious!

From the model side of things there are many mistakes a model can make that will make viewers watch silently from the sidelines instead of interacting... if she talks only to her regulars and her room has a lot of inner jokes, if she ignores new tippers if they tip small or new people talking if they aren’t tipping, if she has greys muted off the bat, if she has an overpowering mod, if she looks like she Is bored.

Personally, I like a room with lots of people talking and engaging with the show so I do my best to keep it animated. There will always be silent people, it’s just a reality but there is a margin of viewers that could talk or not, and I like to motivate them to talk

Sometimes my room is always quiet, even with both hubby and i. We try to engage everyone we see and talk to everyone but our list is usually more greys with a handful of Blues and maybe a nipple hair of purples.

I don't mind so much when people are in the room but I really love it when people talk. I even talk to the people that are assholes...usually my husband boots them out but I can get in a reply before he does...

What I don't understand is why people come in to be like "oh man you're so fat.... blah blah blah"

Like yeah dude I'm fat but you're still here watching me

Sometimes my room is always quiet, even with both hubby and i. We try to engage everyone we see and talk to everyone but our list is usually more greys with a handful of Blues and maybe a nipple hair of purples.

I don't mind so much when people are in the room but I really love it when people talk. I even talk to the people that are assholes...usually my husband boots them out but I can get in a reply before he does...

What I don't understand is why people come in to be like "oh man you're so fat.... blah blah blah"

Like yeah dude I'm fat but you're still here watching me

There are no guarantees when you cam so avoiding the “mistakes” I talked about in my post is no guarantee that you will actually get chatty viewers. But if someone is chatty and they are wanting to chat with you, the mistakes on the list could put them off of it so by avoiding them you have a better chance to build up a chatty audience.

People tend to talk when they feel comfortable, the risk of looking bad is low and there is something that makes them curious. For some people a small room is intimidating because if they speak all the spotlight is on them so they prefer to chat in busier rooms. For others big rooms are intimidating because they feel there are too many people watching and if they “make a mistake” it will be in front of thousands. You will never be able to make everybody interact because each person has their own taste and threshold for interaction and you will never be everybody’s cup of tea. What you can do is make your room’s vibe as inviting and comforting as possible so those who do like you feel welcomed enough to chat.

People who come into any room asking to open your bobs or who post dirty talk in public chat usually lack a filter and post whatever pops into their minds in the chat. It’s easier to do when you don’t invest anything on the site (no avatar, no personal username, no money) so they don’t feel like the person making the comment is themselves.. no sense of shame then. Those who call you fat or insult you are looking for entertainment too. Cams are primarily entertainment, people go watch cams when they are bored so the road can lead them to fap, to merry conversation or.. sometimes.. they will go into a room just to troll people. It is also a form of entertainment. It has nothing to do with you personally, even the hottest of models get trolls now and then. You may be so shocked to find a troll of yours being a wonderful member in another model’s room! It happens and someone with skill could maybe turn one of these more benign trolls into good members with banter. So it’s best to not take their jabs personally. You can engage them if you are confident they won’t knock you down and you can use them as entertainment, interactions with trolls can be fun for your audience too if the troll is good at trolling. But don’t let it drag too long and silence when the fun is over.

Last edited:

I agree with most of your list. How do you talk to new tippers who are tipping small? Do you make any special effort to talk to purple users (if you are on CB) even before they tip?

What do you see as the value of grey users? Have many of those ever become tippers for you, after chatting with you?

I feel like you may be missing the more genuine interactive rooms... if all you're finding is rooms that have pink pussy ticklers and can't type HRU correctly, are you looking at the more popular rooms? Or do you avoid those for some reason?
I have found that even the girls that have the Lushes in likes to talk or a least type if they are not confident in their ability to speak English. The issue seems to be that most people don't bother having an actual conversation with them, they just tip for the lush to vibrate, ask if she opens cams or does privates and then there is the usual "open bobs bb". I think that the ones who type the basic stuff like "HRU?" does so mostly because they think that it is what is expected of them and it is how they have earned tokens so far.

I have found that even the girls that have the Lushes in likes to talk or a least type if they are not confident in their ability to speak English. The issue seems to be that most people don't bother having an actual conversation with them, they just tip for the lush to vibrate, ask if she opens cams or does privates and then there is the usual "open bobs bb". I think that the ones who type the basic stuff like "HRU?" does so mostly because they think that it is what is expected of them and it is how they have earned tokens so far.

I often get told by models that I am the only person who even tries to have a real conversation with them. Now those are rooms with typically under 200 viewers, and the models are often not speaking English as a first language, but it is still incredible to me. Most of the guys who are conversing are dirty talking, so really they never get past first base in really understanding how the model thinks about anything. So what you describe is a real phenomena. I think the models end up dumbing down their conversation in public chat simply because no one challenged them to have a real conversation, so at some point they feel it is not expected.

I agree with most of your list. How do you talk to new tippers who are tipping small? Do you make any special effort to talk to purple users (if you are on CB) even before they tip?

What do you see as the value of grey users? Have many of those ever become tippers for you, after chatting with you?

For small tippers we just say "thank you so aND so"

For grey users I don't have them noted on entry but if they say hello ect I always respond... also I find when grey users see me chatting with other grey users they are more likely to say hi... sometimes when my room is very quiet or only grey users I'll look through the list to see if any are repeat viewers and will say something like "oh hi so and so, nice to see you again"

I know sometimes models don't like to bring up viewers names incase it puts them on the spot ect but we haven't had any negative feedback

Chatting takes effort, perving is free. Also, if you start talking but don't want to spend your night talking (or feel awkward, run out of things to say), you're then in that quasi state of "shit, do i need to talk more else I'm super rude but can't hold conversation - or be silent and feel the oppressive silence pressure".

Chatting takes effort, perving is free. Also, if you start talking but don't want to spend your night talking (or feel awkward, run out of things to say), you're then in that quasi state of "shit, do i need to talk more else I'm super rude but can't hold conversation - or be silent and feel the oppressive silence pressure".

Talk then stop talking you get kicked, Never talk and you can live in the room forever.

Reactions: NotYou

IDK, i never liked those crowded rooms with so many chatters and admirers.. i always thought that finding someone to chat more, than usually they would, considering that they have more time not being constantly occupied, is more fun for me.. but that also ended. Sometime ago i had very good relation with one girl i just admired because she was simply super nice and adorable, being not very bright same time, so i dont have weird standards that i must talk only with someone with comparable degree to mine. Now most girls without pink worms i find adorable go straight to the question about privates, indicating that they are here just making money and have no interest having any conversation. Usually they rather do nothing instead and play with their phones. And those who are longer on mfc, but we didnt talk in past, usually own group of people they feel comfy with and are bit skeptical about newcomers.. But its also possible that maybe i have just such luck that i cant find anyone interesting for me :)

Reactions: CurvyJ
IDK, i never liked those crowded rooms with so many chatters and admirers.
I guess my point is that the busy/chatty rooms are like that for a reason.

Talk then stop talking you get kicked, Never talk and you can live in the room forever.

This is very specific to MFC.. I haven’t heard of models banning people for lack of interaction on CB yet. Unless there are other elements to the story of course. I think it’s a matter of traffic and camscore.

This is very specific to MFC.. I haven’t heard of models banning people for lack of interaction on CB yet. Unless there are other elements to the story of course. I think it’s a matter of traffic and camscore.

I think it happens less on CB because numbers in the room hold a value unlike MFC. However it can happen in any public chat site. Not all models take rational actions, more so when there time on isn't going the way they planned. A talking person is ultimately more of a person than a silent name so if one wants to do something it 'hurt' kicking someone that at least was interested enough to talk is the answer. But that's just my thoughts on the 'why' I'm not a psychologist just mentioning an experience. Models aren't beyond self destructive behavior.

You read my mind on that one.. I need a power nap in the afternoon if I know I will be chatting in a model's room who goes until "dawn" my time..

I doubt they are "chaturbating" for hours watching just one model. Maybe they have dozens of chat rooms open and they just scan them frequently? Maybe they are just recording shows and not actually there? Are they really just sitting there, silent and just watching? For the grey users, I often wonder if those are just bots created to boost someone's advertising revenues. Maybe some of these people are shy or lonely to the point of being dysfunctional?

I have experienced this too.
My guess is:
They are in several rooms at same time, and only tip / talk if some action they like happen.

But it's just a guess.

I'm a pretty new model (been camming for about 30 hours only), so my room is never super busy and even when I get more than 100 users, it can stay silent for a while in the room.
My approach is being the teasing cute and innocent girl (which suits me best because I'm really shy and English isn't my mother tongue), so I never try to start a conversation by myself. So I find grey users quite useful for now, because most of the time, it's grey users that will start talking to me. I will usually answer them out loud and won't be typing at least. I got some great convos going this way and since I mention I like cosplays and animes in my bio, I got many guys who brought it up and I like it. As long as a grey user doesn't become too clingy or whiny I don't mind really.

Also I do have a grey user that started talking to me each time I was online and one day he said he would buy tokens for me and he did!

So really I treat grey users and colored users almost equally. I mean, I don't give freebies to anyone if I don't feel like it, whether the guy asking is a grey user or dark purple user. Being dark purple simply means he gave a large tip to someone recently...it doesn't mean he has a lot of tokens left or that he'll feel like tipping me anyway. I only answer PMs from people who tip for it (12 tokens) so automatically I won't PM with grey users. I also use a bot that prevents grey users from using certain words and stuff, because there are always way more grey users in the room than colored ones and automatically way more grey users being trolls.

When my room will get busier eventually, I'll see what I will do with grey users...I know some camgirls completely silence them because otherwise it's just too much in the chat room, but I guess I'll use my best judgement then :)

I'm a pretty new model (been camming for about 30 hours only), so my room is never super busy and even when I get more than 100 users, it can stay silent for a while in the room.
My approach is being the teasing cute and innocent girl (which suits me best because I'm really shy and English isn't my mother tongue), so I never try to start a conversation by myself. So I find grey users quite useful for now, because most of the time, it's grey users that will start talking to me. I will usually answer them out loud and won't be typing at least. I got some great convos going this way and since I mention I like cosplays and animes in my bio, I got many guys who brought it up and I like it. As long as a grey user doesn't become too clingy or whiny I don't mind really.

Also I do have a grey user that started talking to me each time I was online and one day he said he would buy tokens for me and he did!

So really I treat grey users and colored users almost equally. I mean, I don't give freebies to anyone if I don't feel like it, whether the guy asking is a grey user or dark purple user. Being dark purple simply means he gave a large tip to someone recently...it doesn't mean he has a lot of tokens left or that he'll feel like tipping me anyway. I only answer PMs from people who tip for it (12 tokens) so automatically I won't PM with grey users. I also use a bot that prevents grey users from using certain words and stuff, because there are always way more grey users in the room than colored ones and automatically way more grey users being trolls.

When my room will get busier eventually, I'll see what I will do with grey users...I know some camgirls completely silence them because otherwise it's just too much in the chat room, but I guess I'll use my best judgement then :)

I think grey users all depend on what type you attract.
I see some rooms that seem to attract the morons who are constantly rude, with the odd nice guy being polite etc.
But then in other rooms you have the complete opposite.

So whether you have 100 or 1000 viewers, it can all depend for the greys. I guess it depends how you, the model may be. If you are too nice and polite, greys will potentially see that as a way to do what they want, how they want and when. If you're too strict, it's quite similar and they get rude calling you names. So it's good to try find "the right" balance for them.

Although with all that said ultimately I think it just depends on the time of year and also what morons are online at the time lol.

Reactions: Lunasha
I think grey users all depend on what type you attract.
I see some rooms that seem to attract the morons who are constantly rude, with the odd nice guy being polite etc.
But then in other rooms you have the complete opposite.

That is interesting and I have noticed the same thing. My favorite model attracts a large grey audience that is far politer than most greys. Some of these guys sit there and recite poetry to her all night, like a non ending stream of well expressed poetic compliments to her. In other rooms, grey users are all pornographic sex hounds. This might just reflect qualities of the performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.