AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

You're Not That Hot

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JoleneBrody said:
ACFFAN69 said:
JoleneBrody said:
This is bizarre behavior.

I've been biting my tongue but just to put things into perspective, this thread is coming from the same gentleman that thought MFC should have the options to search by relationship status and sexual preference:

https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/viewt ... 15&t=17313

I think explaining camming as a job to him might be a bit of a lost cause. :?
OH YEAH! hahahahahaha ok I actually feel better, he was already on another planet!

Yep, I'm totally crazy. :dance:

You'd probably think I'm even crazier if I told you how much I've tipped on MFC over time.

Nah, I've run into quite a few totally batshit crazy dudes on MFC with reward points in the 100,000s. Nothing would shock us.

AmberCutie said:
Nah, I've run into quite a few totally batshit crazy dudes on MFC with reward points in the 100,000s. Nothing would shock us.
Ha right. Tipping doesn't make you sane dude, Being actually sane does that.

AmberCutie said:

Actually when I was there reward points were pretty proportionate to how much crazy shenanigans I could expect most of the time. :lol:

JoleneBrody said:
AmberCutie said:

I don't think I've said anything crazy. Things some people might not want to hear, yes. Just take it as the viewpoint of one customer. Opinions will vary.

I think I understand a bit what he meant.
I might be wrong but I guess he was referring to the girls that act very stuck up and like they are better than the members or other girls.. It's like it gets to some girls heads
And I can totally see how it could happen to someone after all the daily attention

But still, I don't think it's that common.. most cam girls I know are very sweet and down to earth. But then again, I don't visit other girls very often.. I mostly check out girls from this forum and so far they are all awesome!

:think:

I also must add I only read the few first posts of this thread before replying to it :lol:

so I will check now what else is going on in the discussion..

WQJNPKT.gif

Seriously, I could only read the first page, and I'm really sorry if I missed any vital information besides the fact that the OP wants to talk to girls off cam rather than on cam.

Go compliment girls in the supermarket if you want. Who cares? Why would I waste both our time trying to convince you that the way I make money is totally justified? When I can just log on an make money while chatting with people people who enjoy my company and then enjoy getting off with me?

Either you are bitter and jealous, or just need some off time off cam to work on areas of your life that are lacking. Like complimenting and flirting with women who aren't cam models, which you obviously want to do... but you've wasted a whole day arguing with us ugly models instead.

Joeternal said:
JoleneBrody said:
AmberCutie said:

I don't think I've said anything crazy. Things some people might not want to hear, yes. Just take it as the viewpoint of one customer. Opinions will vary.
But if you're not tipping, you're not a customer...so.... :think:

It seems that this has been a feeling since at least October, so I would say move on to other things. I initially thought it was burn out, but maybe not.

Joeternal said:
There have only ever been a few models on at a time who I want to talk to, but I've been on the site long enough and done enough lurking to have noticed trends. Things used to feel more relaxed. To be blunt, there seem to be a lot more models now whose attitude is "shut up and give me your money". They're very in your face about demanding tips, and they have no interest in talking to anybody who isn't tipping. If you're not one of those models, it could be those models are poisoning the well for you.

Joeternal said:
I am finding lately that I much prefer women who are not cam girls to ones who are. I didn't used to feel that way. Maybe it's me. But take any cam girl, and compare a woman you meet any day who is exactly as attractive, but isn't a cam girl. The non-cam girl will almost always be much more humble, nicer, and better to talk to. The only upside of the cam girl is that she's much easier to get naked.

I've never been a constant, every day user of cam sites anyway, so this isn't a huge change for me. I used to have a soft spot for cam girls (and strippers), but it's been dwindling for the reasons stated above.

Judging by your comment, you seem to have met a lot of cam girls outside of their cam room. Otherwise, how would you be able to compare how a non cam girl and cam girl acts, outside of their "work" environment,

Let's not forget that some cam girls are actually quite shy but have to exude confidence. Sometimes that may translate as cocky. I am not denying that there are cam girls that fit your mold. There are also non cam girls that fit your mold. A lot of cam girls are merely amplifying themselves or performing while on camera. It is not necessarily who they truly are.

ETA: Oh wait, I see who you are now. You haven't ever met a cam girl outside of being in here cam room. So your comparison above is without any real life data at all.

Maybe I'm unusual, but at least half of the models I've spent any significant amount of time with have suggested the possibility of meeting offline. I haven't met one yet that convinced me to make that leap, but you never know.

^He wasn't really wrong about non sex workers coming across as more likeable and enjoyable to be around in general tho. I haven't been around camgirls much in real life but I've been around enough strippers(turned camgirls) to know that it has some truth to it. I know we all like to pretend that being a camgirl is all sunshine and rainbows but it has a pretty obvious negative impact on many.

I haven't read any of the posts in this thread, but every time I see the title pop up in the unread posts it makes me think, "yea well, you're not smart, and I'd rather be ugly than stupid." :shifty: :whistle:

PunkInDrublic said:
^He wasn't really wrong about non sex workers coming across as more likeable and enjoyable to be around in general tho. I haven't been around camgirls much in real life but I've been around enough strippers(turned camgirls) to know that it has some truth to it. I know we all like to pretend that being a camgirl is all sunshine and rainbows but it has a pretty obvious negative impact on many.

Yes, according to your small sample let's just make sweeping generalizations about thousands of women. I think I'm pretty awesome to be around in "real life", thanks, and so are most camgirls I've met (I'm sure it's more than you have met, actually). Camgirls are some of the most hard-working, positive, open-minded, supportive women I've ever encountered.

caireen said:
PunkInDrublic said:

Yes, according to your small sample let's just make sweeping generalizations about thousands of women. I think I'm pretty awesome to be around in "real life", thanks, and so are most camgirls I've met (I'm sure it's more than you have met, actually). Camgirls are some of the most hard-working, positive, open-minded, supportive women I've ever encountered.

You're looking at it from the perspective of a fellow camgirl, though. And camgirls tend to be more positive/open/'real' around other camgirls.

Personally, I can definitely say that camming has negatively impacted me socially. I'm either A.) super cautious about meeting new people in case they get creepy/know what I do for work and try to use that to their advantage somehow (as you can imagine, this has shrunk my social circle/potential friend base considerably), B.) try to control conversations because I'm so used to vetting a camroom that it's just second nature to do so (which is now a HUGE communication issue that doesn't give people the warm-and-fuzzies when talking to me), or C.) if approached by a potential friend as in example A... I'll act REALLY bitchy as a sort of defense mechanism to try to get out of the situation because of my fear of being 'outed' online - hell, I don't even introduce myself with my real first name anymore, just in case the person is a crazy. That is NOT healthy, and I know it.

Now, that has nothing to do with my actual, real personality, and none of these things were an issue before I started camming 2 years ago. Which means that camming has changed my social behaviors in such a way that it's obvious to me, and none of them are in a positive way. At this point, I'm more comfortable talking to people through a computer than I am in person, and that is a HUGE problem. It's so bad that I've considered quitting camming to try to reclaim my actual personality instead of just being stuck in 'Gemma's headspace all of the time... but unfortunately, I can't financially do that right now.

Pretending that there aren't negative consequences to camming is rather naive; yes, it has the positives as well (working from home, good income, independence, etc.), but the downsides (social isolation, paranoia, communication issues) are also very real. These are issues within the camgirl community that you see examples of all of the time. And don't get me started on alcohol and drug abuse. Sweeping these sorts of things under the rug is NOT the way to help ladies who are struggling with those feelings/behaviors.

:twocents-02cents:

GemmaMoore said:
caireen said:
PunkInDrublic said:

You're looking at it from the perspective of a fellow camgirl, though. And camgirls tend to be more positive/open/'real' around other camgirls.

Personally, I can definitely say that camming has negatively impacted me socially. I'm either A.) super cautious about meeting new people in case they get creepy/know what I do for work and try to use that to their advantage somehow (as you can imagine, this has shrunk my social circle/potential friend base considerably), B.) try to control conversations because I'm so used to vetting a camroom that it's just second nature to do so (which is now a HUGE communication issue that doesn't give people the warm-and-fuzzies when talking to me), or C.) if approached by a potential friend as in example A... I'll act REALLY bitchy as a sort of defense mechanism to try to get out of the situation because of my fear of being 'outed' online - hell, I don't even introduce myself with my real first name anymore, just in case the person is a crazy. That is NOT healthy, and I know it.

Now, that has nothing to do with my actual, real personality, and none of these things were an issue before I started camming 2 years ago. Which means that camming has changed my social behaviors in such a way that it's obvious to me, and none of them are in a positive way. At this point, I'm more comfortable talking to people through a computer than I am in person, and that is a HUGE problem. It's so bad that I've considered quitting camming to try to reclaim my actual personality instead of just being stuck in 'Gemma's headspace all of the time... but unfortunately, I can't financially do that right now.

Pretending that there aren't negative consequences to camming is rather naive; yes, it has the positives as well (working from home, good income, independence, etc.), but the downsides (social isolation, paranoia, communication issues) are also very real. These are issues within the camgirl community that you see examples of all of the time. And don't get me started on alcohol and drug abuse. Sweeping these sorts of things under the rug is NOT the way to help ladies who are struggling with those feelings/behaviors.

I have a lot of sympathy for all of those things, which is part me having a soft spot for cam girls. The problem is if you stack an egomanic mentality on top of it, it becomes kind of intolerable. And then there are issues of being manipulative and/or dishonest, particularly when money is involved, which happens too often.

Once again, to anyone reading what I've said: If it doesn't apply to you, don't take it personally.

GemmaMoore said:

I'm not denying that there are negative consequences, I just don't think that for the MAJORITY of cam girls they are that serious. Maybe some experience what you are talking about to that degree, but I think it's not most. Then again I could be wrong, but that's not my perception or experience.

caireen said:
GemmaMoore said:

I'm not denying that there are negative consequences, I just don't think that for the MAJORITY of cam girls they are that serious. Maybe some experience what you are talking about to that degree, but I think it's not most. Then again I could be wrong, but that's not my perception or experience.

I disagree again. How many girls talk about having to be high/drunk to get the courage to get online? Or how they didn't go to a social event because they were having social anxiety or would 'rather be camming'? What about the ones who talk about how useless and worthless they feel after having a slow earnings night, and how it really hits their self-esteem (I think we're all guilty of that one)? The ones whose significant others 'just can't handle' the fact that they masturbate for guys online, or the ones who are afraid to tell new romantic interests about their job because they think they'll leave and/or just start viewing them as a sex object? Who feel stuck because they can't find a 'vanilla' job that will pay as well as camming, so they keep doing it even though it's become more of a burden than the female empowerment they expected? And that's not even taking into account that a lot of us can't tell our family/friends what we do for fear of being ostracized, so our support systems are all fucked up. Seriously, how many of us are 'stuck' in sex work (or keep coming back to it) because of the money, regardless of how it makes us feel as people?

The majority of us have some sort of negative consequence, no matter how large or small. Even if as a community we seem to file all of the aforementioned issues under 'just regular everyday life as a camgirl' - the fact is that a LOT of what we experience isn't 'normal', and other women our age don't go through the same things. Which is why the community is so tight-knit, and so many of us come to places like ACF for a support system.

We really do like to pretend like everything is sunshine and rainbows, and like we're all just happy all the time. After all, that's our brand, what sells our product, what keeps food on our table - our smiles and being that 'perfect girl' that guys want to get to know. But I for one don't think that we should be silent or defensive when someone figures out that behind the scenes it's not always just fun and games.

caireen said:
PunkInDrublic said:

No need to be so defensive lady, comically predictable but we simply see things differently. And yes, I'm positive you have met more camgirls than me, I'm more of a stripper guy.

To be fair I think we all are guilty of coming onto the forum to vent or looking for support when we are feeling down, worried or in need of a confidence boost. I very rarely come here to post about how I walked into a party full of people feeling sexy as fuck wiggling my hips with the confidence of a super model cos I had a wonderful morning on cam. And those positive feelings and the postive impact on my life due to camming far outweighs any of the negatives. But every girl is different and how camming impacts her and her life really depends on the model herself, her personality and her experiences on cam - I just don't think looking at the posts here or in model's only are necessarily a true reflection of whats going on :twocents-02cents:

Joeternal said:
pg240 said:
I don't recall a tip from me -- and I've tipped a lot -- being unappreciated. Actually, I'm sometimes even amazed by how much even the smallest tips are unfailingly acknowledged and appreciated.

:liar:
The OP called me a liar, perhaps assuming I was just trying to curry favor with the models who frequent this forum. I don't lie. I didn't say it didn't happen; I said it didn't happen to me. Perhaps that's just the result of the high quality of models I choose to visit and appreciate. How's that for currying favor?

GracieHart said:
To be fair I think we all are guilty of coming onto the forum to vent or looking for support when we are feeling down, worried or in need of a confidence boost. I very rarely come here to post about how I walked into a party full of people feeling sexy as fuck wiggling my hips with the confidence of a super model cos I had a wonderful morning on cam. And those positive feelings and the postive impact on my life due to camming far outweighs any of the negatives. But every girl is different and how camming impacts her and her life really depends on the model herself, her personality and her experiences on cam - I just don't think looking at the posts here or in model's only are necessarily a true reflection of whats going on :twocents-02cents:

Wanted to edit my last post but missed the window so just wanted to add this:
The confidence I have experienced through camming in no way means that I have some inflated idea of myself or my looks like the OP suggested a lot of models have. I never had a massive ego before I started to cam and I don't have one now - I'm not naive enough to believe every member and their lovely but slightly exaggerated compliments . Things like "you are perfect, the most beautiful woman in the world, the sexiest woman alive" while nice to hear I know are mostly nonsense. But I do feel confident in the fact that I have made camming work for me - I've found my niche and even through the tougher times (slow nights on cam etc) I am able to log on, have fun, do something right (in terms of having members pay to spend time with me and come back for more). I don't think thats down to incredible beauty or having the most amazing personality in the world - I think its been a bit of luck and a whole heap of hard work on my part. And that makes me feel happy as fuck and gives me huge confidence in my non Gracie private life as well :-D So quite frankly I could care less if I am 'not that hot' I am happy, successful and independent and will have crazy memories to grin about when I'm 90 :lol:

GemmaMoore said:
Seriously, how many of us are 'stuck' in sex work (or keep coming back to it) because of the money, regardless of how it makes us feel as people?

I, for one, feel like I was stuck in retail and that sex work set me free.

Everyone is different, I'm sure that plenty of models experience some or all of the things that you've described! I also feel like it's likely that for every sex worker who feels that way, there's another who feels like sex work saved her and gave her a better life.

I feel like there are huge challenges for many jobs and some will be similar and some will be unique. Sex workers have unique issues to face, that is for sure, but I think that a lot of other jobs do, too. (I think that many of our issues are probably the same or similar for other types of entertainers.) Even working retail I felt so much intense shame because our society often treats those workers with shame. I often felt like I couldn't talk about my issues with people just because I was embarrassed. I know that feeling is much more intense for many sex workers, but I just think that many jobs take a piece of you and change you in some way. Obviously the main issue with sex work is that for many, their support group is gone or diminished, but I think lots of people go through life with minimal support and become stronger because of it.

I know that I might not be the norm, but being a camgirl has given me more strength and confidence and a happier life. I know that there are negatives too, and more negatives for some, but I really don't think that any job comes without its own slew of quirks and negative aspects!

I appreciate your post, Gemma! I think it's important to acknowledge the challenges in our industry. Even though it can be hard to face sometimes, it is important to remember that it's not perfect and it isn't a job for everyone. Some people don't have the same happy and healthy situation that lots of ACF models have. I think it can be difficult, too, though because i know I read your post and tensed up a bit thinking about how many sex worker stereotypes you described (not wrongly, they're true for many people!). I feel like we have a strong voice of positivity here because we know that there are so many more negative voices regarding sex work most other places.

We create our own happiness no matter what job we do,how much money we make, what car we drive.
Not everyone is cut to be a camgirl but we all make choices.
if a camgirl has become completly socially isolated, it was her choice to not try and go out. There are plenty of things to do even when you don't want to tell people what you do for living. Yoga classes, cooking classes, dance classes, taking your pet for a walk, joining a gym an art class.
Also not all people are judgemental. My close friends know, my family knows and so did all my significant others. They were all supportive because they saw how much happier I was since I started doing camming.

Not all camgirls rely to heavy drinking or drugs to cope. i don't even do drugs and I drink only socially, I know plenty of other women that are the same and are camgirls. Substance abuse happens to people from all walks of life. I used to work in a hospital before and almost all doctors and nurses smoked. It was ironic but in an environment where there is more social interaction between coworkers it's easier to pick up the vice. We don't have that problem. Also talking about medical professions... Dentists have the highest rates of suicide compared to other professions.

I do not mean to offend any strippers here btw but stripping and camming are completley different hussles. Probably complete different lifestyles except for the fact that we show our unclothed bodies to people. If another stripper is doing drugs in the back you are exposed to it first hand if you work there. If two or more do them in front of you and they offer you some you are put under more pressure to try it instead of you chilling at home and saying out of the blue.... Oh man I should try some cocaine today....

Now going back to the topic about camgirls being hot. Being hot has very little to do with how successful you are on mfc. Most guys want someone they can connect with and find a room where they feel good. Most top models are very interactive and have strong fanbases, most of their long term fans don't care if they get naked and masturbate anymore. (These are usually the biggest tippers)
If you are on a camsite to watch a "hot girl" do sexy things only why don't you just watch porn.

I don't agree with women that have a bitchy attitude on cam and worse the ones that feel entitled to tokens. This doesn't just happen to top models btw. I have seen many lower score girls do the same. Truth is no one ows us any money. It's a tip. People earn tips they shouldn't just expect them.
I tipped a model 50 tokens once and not only she didn't say thank you she was upset I didn't tip her more. That was a 600 or lower camscore girl btw. Ohh and I didn't ask her to do anything for the tip.
I wanted to tip another model (not a top model maybe 1k camscore) and she had set her min tip to 50 tokens. I asked her why she did that and she said everyone that can't afford to tip her 50 tokens is a loser and shouldn't waste her time. Lol
These women were both "hot" as you call it but had a fucked up attitude.
Ever heard of the saying "she ain't pretty she just looks that way"

I never said 'all' camgirls do this, that, or the other thing. But based on what I've seen in the time that I've been camming, and what I see girls talking about over and over again... all of the things I've pointed out have a definite basis in reality. Just because we don't all do them (for instance, I don't drink alcohol or use any sort of drugs, so that wouldn't apply to me at all) doesn't mean that they're not still widespread problems.

KayleePond said:
I feel like there are huge challenges for many jobs and some will be similar and some will be unique. Sex workers have unique issues to face, that is for sure, but I think that a lot of other jobs do, too.

Yes, exactly. What Gemma said rings true, but I was actually going to say just this when I saw that you had. I understand there are a unique set of issues for cam models, but almost all professions are going to weigh on you in some ways. My vanilla job did not have stigma, harassment, unpredictable income, etc., but it did have lack of autonomy, stress, deadlines, boredom, brutal hours, and left me feeling pretty unfulfilled. Ultimately, what the best choice is for a given person is going to depend on who they are and what their options are. Some people are more able to handle certain things than others.

As to support groups, I definitely notice how protective the models here are of each other, but I can also understand it, especially in a profession where you get so much flak from outside. If you've ever been at a party with several people from a particular profession at it, you'll notice that they almost always end up getting together and rolling their eyes over whatever the particular annoyances of that job are that people who don't do it wouldn't know about. It seems to happen no matter what the profession is. I guess what I'm saying is that exactly what issues you face may vary, but the fact that you will face some is universal. Hmm, that doesn't sound quite as profound as I thought it would. Oh well.

Gemma has a point, though. This job is emotionally taxing and we're making very intimate aspects of ourselves vulnerable to strangers. Add to that trying to be the life of the party, night after night, and for many it's simply a hope that it'll pay off. If we have a sad or emotional day, it'll affect our earnings. Lots of normal jobs, as long as you show up, you'll still be paid a base wage. Not so much with camming. That's stressful. Hiding what we do from our families and friends is stressful. Meeting new people is really stressful. Hell, all it takes is one bad blind date to have your home address posted in your chat room.

Then again, this job has brought me out of my shell. I can, and will, talk to anybody and everybody who even glances at me in the store. I don't fear parties or big gatherings. I always have an interesting story to tell. I find it's easier to find ways to connect with people. I no longer feel ashamed to wear a tank top; I've embraced my figure after years of despising parts of myself. I'm now comfortable with the fact I will never fit in, and camming's done that for me.

I've been in jobs that made me cry on the way to work, simply because I was so miserable. But yesterday, a dude paid to watch me oil up my armpits, and then we talked about A Clockwork Orange. I'd much rather have this job, even if there are very negative side effects that can happen. I guess you take the good with the bad, but Gemma's right that it has its downsides. As awesome as camming is, there's definitely unique obstacles we face. But like others have said, all jobs have a downside. :)

*runs off to oil my armpits again*

GemmaMoore said:
I never said 'all' camgirls do this, that, or the other thing. But based on what I've seen in the time that I've been camming, and what I see girls talking about over and over again... all of the things I've pointed out have a definite basis in reality. Just because we don't all do them (for instance, I don't drink alcohol or use any sort of drugs, so that wouldn't apply to me at all) doesn't mean that they're not still widespread problems.

I'm hesitant to get involved in this whole discussion because it seems kind of meandering and unproductive, but I can't help but wonder what point you're trying to make in all this. I mean no disrespect, I promise. It just seems like you jumped from the discussion of whether entitlement, egotism, and lack of gratitude are a widespread problem to discussing the negative impact or drawbacks camming can have. I don't think anyone is suggesting that camming doesn't come with its own set of effects and potentially negative experiences (which, as others have pointed out, have much more to do with individual circumstances and personalities), and I'm not sure I see the connection you're making between the two.

I don't consider myself to be one of the girls he's addressing in his original post, but what Joe and others seem to forget is that we are not some separate demographic that is exempt from the rest of the population- bitchy, bratty, entitled people exist out in the real world too, you just don't know most people intimately enough to see it. Even those of us who cam full time, at the end of the day, are real girls with real lives, real feelings, and a whole gamut of personality flaws, quirks, pet peeves, etc. It just so happens that a big portion of our lives are broadcast for the world to see. If you met me out at pub trivia, karaoke, or the goth club, you'd have no idea what I do for a living, and conversely, if Joe, or any sweet "non camgirl" off the street had their personal lives up for observation by thousands of people for several hours a day, several days a week, for potentially years, I think they would be found to be equally imperfect. The occasional egotistical, entitled, spoiled, whiny, or frustrated attitude isn't intrinsic to the camming experience, it's intrinstic to the human experience.

(Gemma, I'm sorry if this is the point you were trying to make- maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed like you were claiming the opposite.)

Status
Not open for further replies.