AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Calling for camgirls to help me write my TV pilot/series! (exciting)

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2020
So I'm currently studying filmmaking at a major film school in the UK, and I recently got inspired for my own idea for a TV pilot that I hope to get off the ground once lockdown's over - I'm developing this with a few other coursemates but I'm the primary writer currently.

The story follows a struggling British ballet dancer who, during COVID, turns to camming so she can continue paying for private medical treatment for her mother; who recently survived a stroke. One night she receives a substantial tip from an American nightlife mogul, whose marriage is struggling amidst looming debts and his increasing habit of impulse spending during the pandemic. As his attraction to her develops into a controlling obsession overtime, her own life starts to fall apart as she finds herself almost completely dependent on him.

I'm looking for some volunteer and anonymous cam models to work with me during my story development. Particularly:
  • Cam girls who are based in the UK (although if you're based anywhere else then I'd still love to hear from you)!
  • Anybody who started camming in the year 2020 (ideally at the start of lockdown) - I'd love to hear how that's going for you so far!!
  • Anybody with any particular stories (funny/scary/weird/genuinely nice - I would value them all) that they want to share
Feel free to either comment down below, or if you have something you want to share an I want to make sure that this script is as honest about the industry as it can possibly be, and my biggest worry about this is misrepresenting or stigmatizing either cam models or their loyal clients, as I find that a lot of media covering this subject does. I also want equal emphasis on both the camgirl and the client, as I've been finding out through my research that clients aren't always depicted with the same respect or sensitivity. I've also gotten in touch with an intimacy co-ordinator as part of my development, as to ensure that it doesn't come across as being exploitative.

There's a Google form on this link if you want to fill it out and answer any of my more specific questions, but otherwise if you have anything you want to ask me about then comment below! I'd love to learn a bit more about this community as well as share my own ideas and get some general feedback on the direction I'm taking my work in :cat:

She sounds like a shit cam model because she's depending on one regular. Majority of cammodels know not to rely on one or a few regulars because it's not substantial. Regulars will move on to another model, run out of money, get caught/banned from their significant other, or start a relationship

Also why does she need private medical? NHS could easily handle and treat her stroke victim mother.

okay that's all that I'm giving unless im given compensation for more valuable advice and insight

tumblr_myefgfyzSY1qkegu7o4_250.gif

She sounds like a shit cam model because she's depending on one regular. Majority of cammodels know not to rely on one or a few regulars because it's not substantial. Regulars will move on to another model, run out of money, get caught/banned from their significant other, or start a relationship

Also why does she need private medical? NHS could easily handle and treat her stroke victim mother.

okay that's all that I'm giving unless im given compensation for more valuable advice and insight

View attachment 86112
honestly that's good enough - i do actually cover the first two points in the pilot and the complexities of both of those (especially the mom's experience with the NHS during COVID). the girl does have other regulars, but the plan is that 99% of her revenue will end up coming from this guy eventually (the hope is that this is later on in the series and not in the pilot though)

I've also gotten in touch with an intimacy co-ordinator as part of my development, as to ensure that it doesn't come across as being exploitative.

If you haven't worked as a cammodel and this isn't based on your own experience as a performer... Please consider hiring a cammodel as a consultant and credit them appropriately. If you're trying to avoid "misrepresenting or stigmatizing" camming, then a story about it ruining the model & viewer's lives is going to be hard to pull off without doing that.

But I guess a story about these two characters enjoying camming for their own reasons & moving on isn't as spicy.

Last edited:
If you haven't worked as a cammodel and this isn't based on your own experience as a performer... Please consider hiring a cammodel as a consultant and credit them appropriately. If you're trying to avoid "misrepresenting or stigmatizing" camming, then a story about it ruining the model & viewer's lives is going to be hard to pull off without doing that.

But I guess a story about these two characters enjoying camming for their own reasons & moving isn't as spicy.
oh yeah that's the plan if it gets picked up - because we're students we can't really hire anybody at the minute (and we're talking to an intimacy coordinator who's a friend of a friend), and hiring cam models as consultants is in our production budget

This plot sounds like just the same predator/prey stereotype being promoted. The grossest member guy possible abusing the soulful saint ballet dancer that has no choice or agency.

How about instead of reinforcing stereotypes you write something that would actually show sex workers or the cam industry as positive and healthy entertainment when all parties involved treat it as a business.

Well, they do say truth is stranger than fiction..

Should be plenty of model/member research material there. ;)

Although, I will say that your questions are more survey-ish than what I'd consider related to a pilot show.
OMG IF OP CREATES A SHOW WHERE SOMEONE BECOMES OBSESSED AND DELUSIONAL OVER AN EE STUDIO CAMMMODEL AND TATTOOS HER CAM NAME ON HER BACK. (sauce)

I'D BE SOOOOOO HAPPY.

honestly that's good enough - i do actually cover the first two points in the pilot and the complexities of both of those (especially the mom's experience with the NHS during COVID). the girl does have other regulars, but the plan is that 99% of her revenue will end up coming from this guy eventually (the hope is that this is later on in the series and not in the pilot though)
so if she has other regulars, she would know that they would eventually not be her regulars anymore. people come and go for the reasons i stated above. her eventually becoming 99% dependent on this american nightlife mogul is unrealistic. her mother is probably dependent on her, so it would be irresponsible for this cammodel to be dependent on just one person. she is either naive or a bad cammodel.

So would the tattoo guy, when he found out he was entitled to royalties for his story. Might even cover the tattoo removal. :)
he deserves it really. poor dude was manipulated and loveconned out of $75,000 by "victoria" (not sure if her studio was involved)

so if she has other regulars, she would know that they would eventually not be her regulars anymore. people come and go for the reasons i stated above. her eventually becoming 99% dependent on this american nightlife mogul is unrealistic. her mother is probably dependent on her, so it would be irresponsible for this cammodel to be dependent on just one person. she is either naive or a bad cammodel.

I wonder if her story was inspired by Drew Carey or other notables found to have visited cam sites?

This plot sounds like just the same predator/prey stereotype being promoted. The grossest member guy possible abusing the soulful saint ballet dancer that has no choice or agency.

How about instead of reinforcing stereotypes you write something that would actually show sex workers or the cam industry as positive and healthy entertainment when all parties involved treat it as a business.
this is an angle of it that i'm trying to explore and this is exactly where and why i'm stuck - i'm really not trying to make one character more sympathetic than the other because then there is the danger of me misrepresenting the industry, and i also don't want to stigmatise cam work as being the "she had no other choice" option, or portray people with inherent power complexes as monstrous perverts who are always trying to get one over others. somebody above said something like "well she has a choice of going NHS when it comes to her mom's health" and that's exactly part of the dynamic i'm trying to capture - she feels a duty of care to get the best possible treatment for her working-class mom who spent out the ass to put her through dance school whilst not looking after her own health, and even though she's only doing cam work as a temporary thing she's trying to make it work for her as much as she can and she's really committed to both the business side and the pleasure side. I want her to grow to really love this type of work and go on a journey of self-discovery away from the stresses of the dance world, but I also want to expose the dangers of the industry in equal measure.

i'm still pretty set on the direction i want to take this in at the minute in terms of him using her ambition to take advantage of her (or at least have it set up that way and bring in a twist somewhere), but i don't want it to be told in a super-clichéd way so it'll just be a matter of listening to other people's experiences whilst sticking to at least a few genre tropes initially because if I don't do that, there'll be some difficulty in selling it as an idea initially (obviously I would then subvert these tropes once i realise that people are interested in the story). I'd rather people have massive misconceptions about my characters initially to have those expectations massively thwarted, than have my audience have no idea or familiarity as to the kind of story I'm trying to tell, if that makes sense. This thread is all still very much a workshop. Thank you so much for this though, it's really useful advice :cat:

Last edited:
yeah that is true... thanks so much for this bit of guidance I really appreciate it :)

I might use that as a plot point actually - I haven't really thought of any flaws in approach she's taking to her work, so I guess it would be interesting to explore the repercussions of her becoming reliant on this one guy who's promising her a world of opportunity and an endless cash supply to go with it (now I'm writing that out I guess that's what i was trying to say with the "dependent" part - she's not just financially dependent but she's also drawing up unrealistic scenarios in her head about what this guy can provide her). I can actually see her being quite terrible at her job if you consider that the dance industry and the sex industry are two different environments and she's so drawn into being a dancer (as well as being reliant on authority in so many forms) that she has no idea how to succeed in an industry where I guess you ultimately have authority over yourself

Last edited:
By the way guys, thanks for all your replies to this so far!! I really value it - even the people who are just coming to take a giant shit all over my idea - I value the negative just as much (if not more than) the positive!! I know that my approach into tackling this industry is flawed, since before developing my idea I knew fundamentally nothing about it other than what I see on Channel 5 at night and what I see on Chaturbate in my own time. Please keep in mind that nothing in my original idea is concrete and it'll most definitely change as my characters develop over time, so honestly knowing that a lot of you seem to find it massively problematic is actually a huge motivation for me taking this idea further and really creating a believable and realistic story :h:

Last edited:
To me making the script about a girl who gets into this industry to help her sick mom is kinda lame in the sense that it feels like you need to justify her decision with some hardship so the audience accepts it... she isn't a whore, she is just SO GOOD she is sacrificing herself for her sick mom... Let's be real, most girls don't enter this profession to help their sick moms. They do so because they like the freedom, they find it fun and exciting, or because the money is really good and they are ambitious. Maybe a more realistic "troubled whore" angle would be a single mom who finds herself having to become a breadwinner to support her children and realizing this is the ONE job where she can earn more than a man and make her own schedule so she can still be a proper mother to her kids instead of having to work 60 hour weeks to provide the basics. I find this angle more realistic considering the TRUE camgirl stories I know. It is also an angle that was covered nicely even if superficially on the TV show Heroes by the character of Ali Larter. Might be worth your time to check that out.

By the way guys, thanks for all your replies to this so far!! I really value it - even the people who are just coming to take a giant shit all over my idea - I value the negative just as much (if not more than) the positive!! I know that my approach into tackling this industry is flawed, since before developing my idea I knew fundamentally nothing about it other than what I see on Channel 5 at night and what I see on Chaturbate in my own time. Please keep in mind that nothing in my original idea is concrete and it'll most definitely change as my characters develop over time, so honestly knowing that a lot of you seem to find it massively problematic is actually a huge motivation for me taking this idea further and really creating a believable and realistic story :h:
i personally would love to see a cammodel themed show/movie done well. the ones ive watched were cliche, insulting, and perpetuates stigma.

here is one that in my opinion is awful.

That show is the worst I've seen, baffling it was produced by a camsite.
my theory is no one at chaturbate actually watched it. i could be remembering wrong, but didnt chloe break the TOS in the first episode? camming with unauthorized people in the background? i do remember her doxxing herself same episode.

I want her to grow to really love this type of work and go on a journey of self-discovery away from the stresses of the dance world, but I also want to expose the dangers of the industry in equal measure.

In response to the bits in bold, this is stigma that is driving you. I've been part of the cam industry for coming on ten years and I have never felt in danger, my life has never collapsed, nothing particularly bad has ever happened. I have known many models during this time and I have only heard of a few cases of genuine issues. The idea that someone would come on cam and within a few months find danger is completely unrealistic. Yes you might get someone who were a bit more naive at first and maybe weren't great at hiding their real name or got too close to members, but the risks of that ever amounting to anything are still very low. You're far more at risk working in a bar than working over webcam, but you never see people feeling the need to "expose" the dangers of bar work.

The other reality is, if a model were really to be "discovered" that quickly by someone spending that much, the way the algorithms of these sites work means she would almost certainly gain more exposure on the site she were working due to higher placement. Tips also bring tips, so if she were being supported by someone so early on it's likely others would be spending too. I've seen models working for years and then one wealthy regular comes along and suddenly they become really successful because other people join in on the hype. I've even experienced this myself. Unless she were spending literally all of her time "in private" with that one guy, it's unlikely she'd be completely reliant on him. A young, attractive ballet dancer with a sob story and a genuine desire to earn is unlikely to do badly on a camsite, even if she's not a great cam model. Due to this, high spending members who become obsessive generally do get banned in the end and the model continues.

I've known models who pretty much rely on one rich regular and it's really not that interesting a dynamic. To be honest, not much of camming as an outside (non-member) viewer is that interesting, because it's just a job you do from home, from your laptop. It's not particularly glamorous, it's not that exciting, and it's not particularly sexy. Even the chats had between models and members are pretty standard conversations and friendships. The trick as a cam model is trying to make what is a pretty dull scenario with very little feedback look interesting to the webcam. I think this is why everyone who tries to portray camming in TV/Film tries to go on the angle of it being dangerous or sordid, because the reality of a girl dancing in a room on her own in her PJs to no backing music while talking to a screen, and some guys either typing friendly responses or masturbating with headphones on doesn't really make a great story unless it's just something a character does for work without it being the main focus.

I think if you are really serious about writing something about webcam models then have a go at camming yourself, see what it's like, see what the interactions with members are like, how the algorithms work, what it's like to be behind a screen trying to be entertaining etc. You keep saying you want to write something about this without bringing stigma into it, but your knowledge of the cam industry is stigma. Your entire plotline is based around stigma because that is all you know.
I do think this particular storyline would work a lot better in a strip club scenario where there's limited traffic coming in, someone could become reliant on one regular, or a sugar daddy/sugar babe situation. It's still pretty stigmatised, but it's more realistic, although not so much during the pandemic. The whole premise of camming is that you're getting bits of income off lot's of different people and then have a few "top spenders", and it's rare you get that close to your regulars unless they've been around for a long time (and even then there are loads of boundaries).

And finally, sorry to bring another plothole up, but in the UK during the pandemic we had a furlough scheme, so if this girl had been working then she would have been getting that furlough. If she hadn't been working then we can assume she'd been dependent on her mother or something else and wouldn't have needed that income. This suggests that all of her camming money is going directly to treatment for her mother and therefore this girl wouldn't be "reliant" on any money she's receiving in order to survive. The NHS would have treated any immediate stroke issues, and there are waiting lists for other treatments, so I'm going to assume we're talking about her wanting to avoid waiting lists for post-stroke care and rehabilitation. This means she'd have an "amount" that she'd be aiming for. It's the pandemic and the UK is pretty locked down so it's unlikely she'd be going out and spending money on a high flying lifestyle. I don't want to add to the stigma of cam models earning a lot, but as I've said before, an attractive british ballet dancer is likely to do well on a camsite, she might not be earning huge amounts, but she could easily earn a few grand each month, if not more, particularly if she had a high spending regular. It would likely be enough to help fund stroke treatments in the UK. By the time this regular were obsessed enough with her to cause any issues, she'd have her money.

To be honest, just hearing this story I'm just not "buying it". Have you got any other ideas?

To me making the script about a girl who gets into this industry to help her sick mom is kinda lame in the sense that it feels like you need to justify her decision with some hardship so the audience accepts it... she isn't a whore, she is just SO GOOD she is sacrificing herself for her sick mom... Let's be real, most girls don't enter this profession to help their sick moms. They do so because they like the freedom, they find it fun and exciting, or because the money is really good and they are ambitious. Maybe a more realistic "troubled whore" angle would be a single mom who finds herself having to become a breadwinner to support her children and realizing this is the ONE job where she can earn more than a man and make her own schedule so she can still be a proper mother to her kids instead of having to work 60 hour weeks to provide the basics. I find this angle more realistic considering the TRUE camgirl stories I know. It is also an angle that was covered nicely even if superficially on the TV show Heroes by the character of Ali Larter. Might be worth your time to check that out.
exactly i was laughing reading this . 99% stories of east european cam models starts with camming for sick moms that need treatment , i thought uk models should sound smarter and come with a better story ...

Oh that’s one angle that i definitely didn’t think about actually - it’s probably because my initial set up was that her mom knew what she was doing (to some PG-13 extent) and accepted that she needed to do it because it was a way to bring in money. I didn’t mention that in my initial synopsis because i was trying to keep it brief - in reality my character’s journey is a little bit like a reversed Breaking Bad-type arc. She justifies what she’s doing with this initially because it’s such a foreign thing to her. A bit like how Walter White, nerdy kind chemistry teacher, justified making meth and murdering people by saying he was doing it so his family could survive after his death but in reality he was only doing it out of his own selfishness, bitterness and contempt for society, and you even get that sense in the very first episode. Obviously not the same thing as camming because my character isn’t ruining lives or harming others (I’m only using Breaking Bad as an example of how a character realises their own motivations for doing such secretive work overtime), but I guess this is a story about her getting over her own stigmas and materialism, realising that there really is no shame in doing this kind-of work if it makes you feel good about yourself, and kinda just learning to not give a shit about what people think about her. I wasn’t really trying to go for the “troubled whore” angle as much as i was an “exploring sexual freedom” angle, but in hindsight yeah that’s probably how it comes across in my synopsis. I’m just finding it hard to get past the wider societal stigmas of doing cam work in my story because otherwise i feel like I’m in danger of having absolutely nothing at stake in terms of conflict (because not everybody in this world is as open-minded) so i guess i need to focus more on getting that balance where I’m not unintentionally stigmatising cam work myself :)

In response to the bits in bold, this is stigma that is driving you. I've been part of the cam industry for coming on ten years and I have never felt in danger, my life has never collapsed, nothing particularly bad has ever happened. I have known many models during this time and I have only heard of a few cases of genuine issues. The idea that someone would come on cam and within a few months find danger is completely unrealistic. Yes you might get someone who were a bit more naive at first and maybe weren't great at hiding their real name or got too close to members, but the risks of that ever amounting to anything are still very low. You're far more at risk working in a bar than working over webcam, but you never see people feeling the need to "expose" the dangers of bar work.

The other reality is, if a model were really to be "discovered" that quickly by someone spending that much, the way the algorithms of these sites work means she would almost certainly gain more exposure on the site she were working due to higher placement. Tips also bring tips, so if she were being supported by someone so early on it's likely others would be spending too. I've seen models working for years and then one wealthy regular comes along and suddenly they become really successful because other people join in on the hype. I've even experienced this myself. Unless she were spending literally all of her time "in private" with that one guy, it's unlikely she'd be completely reliant on him. A young, attractive ballet dancer with a sob story and a genuine desire to earn is unlikely to do badly on a camsite, even if she's not a great cam model. Due to this, high spending members who become obsessive generally do get banned in the end and the model continues.

I've known models who pretty much rely on one rich regular and it's really not that interesting a dynamic. To be honest, not much of camming as an outside (non-member) viewer is that interesting, because it's just a job you do from home, from your laptop. It's not particularly glamorous, it's not that exciting, and it's not particularly sexy. Even the chats had between models and members are pretty standard conversations and friendships. The trick as a cam model is trying to make what is a pretty dull scenario with very little feedback look interesting to the webcam. I think this is why everyone who tries to portray camming in TV/Film tries to go on the angle of it being dangerous or sordid, because the reality of a girl dancing in a room on her own in her PJs to no backing music while talking to a screen, and some guys either typing friendly responses or masturbating with headphones on doesn't really make a great story unless it's just something a character does for work without it being the main focus.

I think if you are really serious about writing something about webcam models then have a go at camming yourself, see what it's like, see what the interactions with members are like, how the algorithms work, what it's like to be behind a screen trying to be entertaining etc. You keep saying you want to write something about this without bringing stigma into it, but your knowledge of the cam industry is stigma. Your entire plotline is based around stigma because that is all you know.
I do think this particular storyline would work a lot better in a strip club scenario where there's limited traffic coming in, someone could become reliant on one regular, or a sugar daddy/sugar babe situation. It's still pretty stigmatised, but it's more realistic, although not so much during the pandemic. The whole premise of camming is that you're getting bits of income off lot's of different people and then have a few "top spenders", and it's rare you get that close to your regulars unless they've been around for a long time (and even then there are loads of boundaries).

And finally, sorry to bring another plothole up, but in the UK during the pandemic we had a furlough scheme, so if this girl had been working then she would have been getting that furlough. If she hadn't been working then we can assume she'd been dependent on her mother or something else and wouldn't have needed that income. This suggests that all of her camming money is going directly to treatment for her mother and therefore this girl wouldn't be "reliant" on any money she's receiving in order to survive. The NHS would have treated any immediate stroke issues, and there are waiting lists for other treatments, so I'm going to assume we're talking about her wanting to avoid waiting lists for post-stroke care and rehabilitation. This means she'd have an "amount" that she'd be aiming for. It's the pandemic and the UK is pretty locked down so it's unlikely she'd be going out and spending money on a high flying lifestyle. I don't want to add to the stigma of cam models earning a lot, but as I've said before, an attractive british ballet dancer is likely to do well on a camsite, she might not be earning huge amounts, but she could easily earn a few grand each month, if not more, particularly if she had a high spending regular. It would likely be enough to help fund stroke treatments in the UK. By the time this regular were obsessed enough with her to cause any issues, she'd have her money.

To be honest, just hearing this story I'm just not "buying it". Have you got any other ideas?
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this all out, I really value it! I’ve literally just copied this entire message into my screenwriting software because there’s so much to unpack here. I’ve been struggling to find things on the algorithm of these sites particularly so this is really useful insight into it.

I’m not really in a position to be able to try out camming myself at the minute because I actually moved back in with my parents over lockdown, and because we’ve always had a very tight living situation (like we rarely shut doors in my house; I know it’s weird but that’s always been the way) I’m not willing to run the risk of them walking in mid-stream haha. I’d totally be willing to try it out once things become a bit easier and I can move back out - it seems like that would be the best way for me to understand different platforms.

As for the income thing (because I haven’t really addressed that properly yet), part of the story that I want to explore is that her mom’s really mouthy and no-filter, so even though they could very easily just stick with the NHS it would create a very difficult atmosphere in the home if she’s mouthing off at carers who are already under immense pressure because of COVID (more so because the area that they live in is working-class, older and generally-overstretched when it comes to healthcare at the best of times), and my main character finding other means of both earning an income and looking for the best treatment money can buy for her mom is both a need and a choice in that regard - I probably made it sound like she’s morally obliged to do cam work (totally my fault, by the way) when it’s actually a mixture of both morals and personal will. She is on furlough because she’s a permanent member within her company, and she knows that she’s lucky to be on it when so many of her other ballet and arts friends are out of work. There’s definitely an element of her wanting to be self-serving in her decision to do cam work that I’m looking to explore, if that helps clear things up a bit. I’ve planned an eight-episode arc and my only fully-drafted scene at the minute is the prologue - everything else is just a matter of changing and adapting. Characters are coming first, then story, and then refining it to flesh out the world and actually have it be sexy too haha

Last edited:
It is also an angle that was covered nicely even if superficially on the TV show Heroes by the character of Ali Larter. Might be worth your time to check that out.
I was thinking about that character in Heroes! It's quite a good example of someone who's doing camming for a job while not focusing on it being a big deal.

To the OP, it seems like you've got a lot going on with this character external to camming. I'm not entirely sure how you're going to fit this American visitor into it, or how that's going to impact on her life. As surely if this member becomes obsessed but the camgirl actually has full furlough support there is no real reason for her to continue interacting with him? If all of her money is going to care bills for her mother (which could be provided via the state) then it's not exactly going to be about greed or necessity, and if she's essentially being controlled by one member then it's not going to give her much of a sense of power or excitement doing the work itself. For her to have anything similar to a "breaking bad" sense of excitement/transformation then you'd probably be talking about someone who were rising to top model status, earning tens of thousands monthly, having hundreds of tippers, going to conventions etc. Very few models get to this point and it usually takes a long time to build up, but very occasionally it does happen quickly. For the most part there's a very brief thrill when you initially earn money from camming, and then you find it's the same old grind as any other job. Some do find it good for sexual exploration, but in reality you're touching yourself from an uncomfortable angle in a brightly lit room while staring at a computer screen, all while putting on a show and trying to interact with an invisible viewer. It's not as sexually liberating as it looks.

Personally if it were me I'd drop the whole obsessive "one member" thing. It's fine to do things from the member's angle too, following their lives, why they are going to camsites, them forming an online attachment to a model etc. But in reality most member-model relationships are very shallow, even the close ones. It's similar in a way a shop worker might chat to a customer every day in a shop. You can tell jokes, know peripheral information about them, but you know very little about their lives or who they truly are. Even if the guy did have an obsession with her, for them to continue the friendship it'd have to remain harmless and the model would probably never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.