AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

What is the worst book you've read? Fave/best book? #Hobbies

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a full grown adult I can say without shame that I enjoyed The Hunger Games and Divergent books. I read them all before the movies came out and I believe that's the way to do it. Read the books first so you can already have the story as a vision in your head. Then bitch about how the movie got it all wrong.

Worst book that I have read is a tough one... and I have a personal code about books that states I will finish any book I start. I have slogged my way through some garbage, but I would have to say The Catcher in the Rye was the one that bothered me the most. My wife, who doesn't read much, thinks it's about baseball. That's adorable.

The Regulators (and it's companion book Desperation) by Stephen King is my personal fav. Weird wild stuff that can only be seen with words.

Reactions: asia_lynn and Gen
Hello guys!! Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy was the best book a I read this year and almost the only lol , because is very long book ....

Yukio Mishima's tetralogy is a fucking masterpiece. Four novels that left me in tears. Mishima is one of the most brilliant and interesting writers of the 20th Century - just read about the dude's life! Dude was obsessed with the dying 'samurai ethos' of feudal Japan and assembled a private militia, tried to stage a military coup, and committed seppuku in public as a final act of artistry. The man's life was art. He literally DIED for his art.

There's an amazing film, 'Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters' that surveys his life and features these little vignettes of stories from his novels. One of the most cinematically creative films I've ever seen (the set design is freakin' awesome) I recommend it to anyone and everyone. The score by Phillip Glass alone is enough to make my heart start pounding.

Also a HUGE Hermann Hesse fan. 'Narcissus and Goldmund' is one of the most powerful, moving novels I have ever read. Such a complex and gorgeous story, with so many fascinating philosophical and moral undertones. Hesse has this way with words such that he can write the most complex story without boring the hell out of you or inundating the reader (like Tolstoy - who is brilliant in his own right, don't get me wrong - with his 50 page 'manifesto' character rants LOL).

Yeah, Mishima and Hesse are da bomb.

Just went back and saw that a few folks mentioned Tolstoy. Anna Karenina and War and Peace are among the greatest novels ever written. I'm not a fan personally - I just don't like Russian lit very much - but it's unavoidable that these are two of the most important and brilliant works of literature ever ever ever

My wife is a HUGE Russian lit fan. She somehow got through Anna K in a little over one week. She finished War and Peace earlier this year and is now reading Dostoyevsky's The Idiot. She said to tell the Russian lit fans here: go for Gogol's Dead Souls (although it was never completed) and Dostoyevsky's Brothers Karamazov

As a full grown adult I can say without shame that I enjoyed The Hunger Games and Divergent books. I read them all before the movies came out and I believe that's the way to do it. Read the books first so you can already have the story as a vision in your head. Then bitch about how the movie got it all wrong.

Worst book that I have read is a tough one... and I have a personal code about books that states I will finish any book I start. I have slogged my way through some garbage, but I would have to say The Catcher in the Rye was the one that bothered me the most. My wife, who doesn't read much, thinks it's about baseball. That's adorable.

The Regulators (and it's companion book Desperation) by Stephen King is my personal fav. Weird wild stuff that can only be seen with words.

Dude, I'm with you here. I understand Catcher in the Rye, but cannot stand it. The whole thing just comes off as unbelievably pretentious. I was never a big fan of the 'Lost Generation' writers, though. Or the Beat writers, for that matter. Ginsberg is a great writer but I personally can't stand his work.

Another book I hated (that self-styled intellectuals seem to love) is House of Leaves. Yeah yeah, I get it. That's the problem, though. I actually understood the book...and it's a freaking mess of a story. All over the place, intentionally dense and complicated (without necessity), eh...

And nothin' wrong with liking Y.A. fiction. Sometimes it's nice to read something more novel (pun not intended) and fun. I've read my share of Immanuel Kant or Derrida but goddamn nothing compares to a good ol' Frog and Toad book.

Also a HUGE Hermann Hesse fan. 'Narcissus and Goldmund' is one of the most powerful, moving novels I have ever read. Such a complex and gorgeous story, with so many fascinating philosophical and moral undertones. Hesse has this way with words such that he can write the most complex story without boring the hell out of you or inundating the reader (like Tolstoy - who is brilliant in his own right, don't get me wrong - with his 50 page 'manifesto' character rants LOL).

Yeah, Mishima and Hesse are da bomb.

I bought all Hermann Hesse books I could possibly find and my luck was that they were part of the same collection in my fave bookstore, these have to wait until after reading war of the worlds and the time machine by h g wells. I'm curious what impact narcissus will have on me....

Just went back and saw that a few folks mentioned Tolstoy. Anna Karenina and War and Peace are among the greatest novels ever written. I'm not a fan personally - I just don't like Russian lit very much - but it's unavoidable that these are two of the most important and brilliant works of literature ever ever ever

My wife is a HUGE Russian lit fan. She somehow got through Anna K in a little over one week. She finished War and Peace earlier this year and is now reading Dostoyevsky's The Idiot. She said to tell the Russian lit fans here: go for Gogol's Dead Souls (although it was never completed) and Dostoyevsky's Brothers Karamazov

how long did it take her to read war and peace? I read the idiot and didn't enjoy it much(i read it in two volumes, it was like sex w/out much orgasm at the end. the political environment was amazing, the characters not so much....

how long did it take her to read war and peace? I read the idiot and didn't enjoy it much(i read it in two volumes, it was like sex w/out much orgasm at the end. the political environment was amazing, the characters not so much....

I'd say about 4-6 weeks, at least an hour or two per day. We were on vacation much of that time, so she had a lot of free time. She's typically a slow reader (likes to pace herself, unlike me lol), but when it comes to Tolstoy - and most Russian lit - she zooms through that stuff like crazy.

I recognize and value the importance and beauties of Russian lit but it's just not my thing - they have a very particular writing culture that I was never able to get into. She *loves* it, though - not just the exceedingly complex human relationships, but all the philosophical musings e.g. Levin on classism and the decadence of Modern Russians. I do enjoy hearing her tell me about it all, though.

We decided to watch some of the film adaptations of Anna K, starting with the 1935 version and then, the more recent Hollywood adaptation. I actually enjoyed both quite a bit. Dunno if y'all have watched any of the films, but it'd be interesting to hear what you think of them, having read the book.

LOL I totally get what you mean about The Idiot - a lot of Dostoyevsky's work is very HEAVY on the socio-political undertones and commentaries that character development is often forsaken. Tolstoy, contrarily, seemed to maintain a good balance of the two.

With that intro Rose McGowan's "Brave" is light fare.

Rose is many things. Her book was, hmm, let's call it challenging. First six years gets a pass for no adults present, next six sounds like fantasy, six more and she's an admitted felon. All that leading up to her being assaulted made her open to challenge.

I get how that sounds while I join in hating a system of abuse.

What made the book was - and I chose the audiobook option (much safer while driving) is her voice picked up a note of joy after the "retelling". She sounded happy, and optimistic in her advocacy.

I wish her well, and her message. Doom to any dragons in her path.

With that intro Rose McGowan's "Brave" is light fare.

Rose is many things. Her book was, hmm, let's call it challenging. First six years gets a pass for no adults present, next six sounds like fantasy, six more and she's an admitted felon. All that leading up to her being assaulted made her open to challenge. I get how that sounds while I join in hating a system of abuse.What made the book was - and I chose the audiobook option (much safer while driving) is her voice picked up a note of joy after the "retelling". She sounded happy, and optimistic in her advocacy. I wish her well, and her message. Doom to any dragons in her path.

I saved it in my wishlist and just watched her on THE VIEW, I admire this chick so much more now....

You could tell me if Infinite Jest is any good or just something people buy because it looks impressive on the coffee table. 1088 pages, 56 hours in audio.

Bah, half hour of suggestions in the wind thanks to current forum software and janky editing. It's everywhere, and it's a plague.

Last edited:
Any long flight reading recommendations? I have a 15 hour flight to Colombia tonight, and I don't feel like binging Narcos on a plane.
I think the above mentioned war and peace is a long read, perfect for your flight, although if you read it already you may not be interested in it. Have you read Horns by Joe Hill?

The Secret Circle by L.J Smith
Not to be mean but, I read this when I was fifteen, and I got so frustrated with it, that I went through it and edited it with a red pen. :grumpy:
I loved the Harry Potter series as a kid (still do).

Favorites " The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant ,The Unbeliever" by Stephen R Donaldson first trilogy
" Liveship Traders" trlogy by Robin Hobb
" Imajica" by Clive Barker

Status
Not open for further replies.