AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Why don't more cammodels have their own websites?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2018
I've noticed very few models have a personal website. Not even a simple landing page that lists all their information and links (clip store, live cam, fan clubs, social media profiles, etc..) similar to AmberCutie's homepage.

A central location on the web is pretty much standard for any online business, yet most cammodels don't have one. I'm sure there's a handful of ways cammodels could increase their revenue, or create an extra source of revenue, by simply having their own website. But it seems that owning a site is not much of a priority to most cammodels. Is there a reason for this?

Look forward to any response, thanks!

Reactions: MojitosJourney
Big websites provide big traffic, payment gateways, and even social media promotion.
Personal websites are offered by advanced CMS websites, take Model Centro as a super advanced example. Models are experts in creating and exploring their options, and I’m super happy that they don’t need advisors like me :)

Reactions: Terrance Fornario
Because they just don’t want to? Maybe they just want to cam on the site(s) they primarily cam on, and log off and be done for the day. Nothing wrong with that.

Having a website does not always equal more money.

Creating a website does however guarantee a time investment and money investment with an unknown return. That same time creating/maintaining a website can be used towards activities that have a more of a guarantee on return such as camming.

Most customers find us on whatever platform they're using and interact with us on that platform - not request to see a website or search for one. In fact, many customers seem to be reluctant to try new sites in my experience.

This said, I have a website but only because I enjoy maintaining it, as I have some interactive features on it. However, again, I really don't think my website has contributed to increasing my profits by much, if at all, as a cam girl / clip producer... And that's usually the bottom line for many.

Hosting a website makes you a default webadmin. Gotta keep up on the updates, make sure you're compliant with the latest EU privacy rules and if you store any personal information (like email addresses of people contacting you) then you're subject to a fine if they leak - even if you kept your site updated and compliant.

It's a little more complicated than putting up a billboard.

If we look at it on the market place level, it’s like many brands. Instead of opening up a shop for one brand, you sell them better if you know where to.
In addition, when you wish to open your own online store, it’s easier to do so on an existing marketplace.
That is unless you have coders, designers, a payment gateway, a license and a lawyer, and the streaming technology to open your own website:) The websites are business partners.

Reasons I can think of: chargebacks, expensive to have an adult payment processor, and having to pay 2 processing fees per card transaction instead of 1 as the result of being classified by Visa and MasterCard as being "high risk".
You forgot to mention storage, and streaming. It looks natural, but some of the adult webcam and clipstore sites are also tech hubs, that provide to additional verticals, from hotels to security, even medicine. I was a dismissed payment rep, but I done my homework:)

Straight up lazy. I have 3 clip sites and a cam site and a phone sex site. I have no time to make a website haha.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
Mostly cost and effort. Most of those "cheap and easy setup" hosts don't allow adult content. Setting up my website probably cost me over $200, and I know web and graphic design, if I didn't I would have had to pay for that too. Generally, guys looking for cam models are browsing their preferred site or Twitter, plus you'd be hard pressed to optimize your SEO well enough to come up in a "cam model website" google search.

Unless you go through the effort of setting up your own payment processor and sell things (you'd already need pretty dedicated customers for this to even work) there isn't much profitability. I have gotten a few (very well paying) clients from having it, but those are few and far between.

I like having a website so I can link customers to my other services, they can learn more about me, and I can give more detailed information about things like custom clips. I only made one because I had the cash to spare and figured it could be helpful for information purposes. It's also useful as an email service since Google has been cracking down on SWs lately. I also use it as an image host since imgur doesn't like how much bandwidth I use for things like my NF listings.

While there are benefits, most cam models probably don't want to spend that kind of money just to give out information with little to no profitability. Having an email and a twitter is good enough.

I can understand not wanting the added hassle and cost of maintaining a separate web site, but I am surprised that more models don't register a domain name and simply point it at a site they already maintain (Instagram, clip site, MFC profile etc). Domain names are cheap and easy to register (~$10/year) and URL forwarding is relatively easy to setup (depends on the domain registrar).

I can understand not wanting the added hassle and cost of maintaining a separate web site, but I am surprised that more models don't register a domain name and simply point it at a site they already maintain (Instagram, clip site, MFC profile etc). Domain names are cheap and easy to register (~$10/year) and URL forwarding is relatively easy to setup (depends on the domain registrar).

This! I got quinnlane.com & can change it to redirect to whatever site I want (was prettier to use quinnlane.com than having to type out projectmaenad.com/m/quinn-lane, for example) and I can add subdomains (e.g live.quinnlane.com and tip.quinnlane.com) for free. It's so much easier to remember. Cost about $14 through NameCheap for a year & includes the whole protection thing, so noone can see who owns the domain. :)
But having my own website? No thanks, costs too much & I don't have enough customers in the first place to bother.

Reactions: Slapstick

Meh, even that is beyond the amount of effort that my lazy ass is willing to expend. It's probably influenced by the fact that the main camsite I work on has suspended a girl for saying "just Google me" when someone asked for her Twitter.

Mostly, though, I just relate too much to Bender from Futurama and just want to be lazy.

I've considered this since it is cheap and easy to do, but is there really any tangible benefit to it? Even if is only a few bucks per year, I doubt that more people are going to click my cam link and come tip in my room just for the fact that it's posted as "sierrasage.com" (not even an available domain lol) instead of the regular old chaturbate link.
Other models feel free to chime in if you found having a registered domain name redirect to your link has actually helped traffic/sales/anything else. Still considering it, but holding on to my 10$ for now.

Straight up lazy. I have 3 clip sites and a cam site and a phone sex site. I have no time to make a website haha.

I think this is the perfect answer. Not just for the sake of you ladies/gents being lazy though but it's the fact it's more work; you potentially need to learn more or have someone (pay) do it for you (update the website content). I know there are lots of places out there that make it super easy to add/edit websites but it still means the models - who for the most part are not all that amazing with technology anyway (from what I have experienced). Twitter and other social media are MUCH easier.

If anyone would be interested in having your own membersite, I am the social media manager for adultmembersites.com. We are a CMS platform that is totally free to start as we only earn by percentage. We provide a pretty easy to use site builder, your own cam/chat platform, pay per view and membership video/photos, blog with all adult payment processors in place. Once you launch maintenance is super easy since you have our tech support team... you really only need worry about the content. Let me know if you want any info or have questions. I’ve had my site for a few years longer than I’ve been part of the admin team too, so I’m always happy to share my experience as a model.

Use this link to get started and you’ll get an extra 1% for life.

I think also some cam models aren't long term career models. Some want to be incognito as much as possible and won't bother setting up a site because they don't intend on staying in the industry long/it would be more loose ends to tie up when they leave camming.

I have one but I have to agree that it really has not brought in money. I enjoyed creating it and have had fun tweaking everything but it probably hasn't even made enough to cover the hosting fees over the years.

Usually what happens is I get contacted by those who think that they can talk me down to a ridiculously low price for a cam session or custom videos. I may do away with it and stick with paid interaction. I find that a way better use of my time.

• Helpful!
Reactions: SaffronBurke
If anyone would be interested in having your own membersite, I am the social media manager for adultmembersites.com. We are a CMS platform that is totally free to start as we only earn by percentage. We provide a pretty easy to use site builder, your own cam/chat platform, pay per view and membership video/photos, blog with all adult payment processors in place. Once you launch maintenance is super easy since you have our tech support team... you really only need worry about the content. Let me know if you want any info or have questions. I’ve had my site for a few years longer than I’ve been part of the admin team too, so I’m always happy to share my experience as a model.

Use this link to get started and you’ll get an extra 1% for life.
Woops! The link might actually be helpful...
http://adultmembersites.com/app/#/registration/rfjdHy

Reactions: NikkiLove420
As a member all sites setup around adult sites tend to be suspicious. Either setup to click bait or collect information about you. On the major cam sites the models don't have to be the ones helping members 'trust' the site enough to put financial information into it. When they use their own site the models has to do the marketing, onboard trust and selling all by themselves which may not be worth the time for the money earned. Transparency is a real issue.

I think this is the perfect answer. Not just for the sake of you ladies/gents being lazy though but it's the fact it's more work; you potentially need to learn more or have someone (pay) do it for you (update the website content). I know there are lots of places out there that make it super easy to add/edit websites but it still means the models - who for the most part are not all that amazing with technology anyway (from what I have experienced). Twitter and other social media are MUCH easier.
I'm pretty tech savvy especially with websites I could easily make one. But between all my sites and my real life obligations I just really don't have the time to add in another one. Tons of camgirls are very tech savvy!

But between all my sites and my real life obligations I just really don't have the time to add in another one. Tons of camgirls are very tech savvy!

This. Also, Happy Birthday!!!

Reactions: a_haze420
Status
Not open for further replies.