AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Doing a studio right

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2018
Hi,

After meeting a number of wannabe cam girls who want to work but can't do it form where they live, I'm setting up a small studio.

I've read a number of posts on here about good and bad studios, and I want to get it right.

For those of you that worked in a studio, what did you like and what did you not like?

What commission is fair? I'll be supplying them with a room, IT support, photographs and 4k video (I'm a photographer), training, etc. Depending on what network they go on, I'll make promotional videos and graphics.

Ideally I'd like to provide them with enough value that popular models feel it's worth staying with me, even if they earn so much they transition to their own place and just keep me for photography and IT support.

What experience do you have that makes you qualified to train cam performers? I personally think that is an important factor.

Based on other stuff mentioned where if they move on and hope to keep him for IT and Photography, I would be inclined to think he has NONE but he will be hiring someone to do it.
That's just my initial assumption

Reactions: SaffronBurke
What experience do you have that makes you qualified to train cam performers? I personally think that is an important factor.

I think it depends on what encompasses 'training'. As a member I wished some studios would do better explaining the chat windows and things to new models rather than throwing them in a room with a timer or holding them back from streaming to 3-4 sites at the same time where they aren't focused on any. I don't know how many times on SM in the last month you would see models giving full shows in free because they aren't turning off other sites going private. While other models might be better inclined to sharing 'business' experience I think studios can explain mechanics and boundaries or rolling them out to sites one as a time and not allowing them pop on 3 times the first day and burning the 'new model' on all of them at the same time and just pissing off the members because of chat windows they don't know where they are yet.

Oookay well whoever is going to train the performers, what qualifications and experience do they have? I honestly believe that the best training is to log in and figure it out for yourself. There are also plenty of resources available online for additional research, questioning, and learning... Like here! If further training is needed, I believe the only people qualified to train are those who have done the work themselves. Otherwise, what knowledge can they possibly offer that the performer can't figure out on their own? That is my point, and the main area where I personally think that many studios fall short or are exploitative. Not calling OP exploitative here, but rather giving more explanation behind my question.

I wished some studios would do better explaining the chat windows and things to new models
This is also something other performers are quite adept at explaining, and again, this information is all readily available for anyone who looks. Studios can't provide anything in the way of training that isn't already out there, and so I don't find that this adds any value to their offerings.

I dated a cam performer a few years back. The biggest issue she had, and I imagine other have (SMuser69's comment appears to confirm this), is understanding the platforms, their various interfaces, the available technologies, etc., along with the various avenues available for self promotion and additional income streams.

Yes, models with your can "do it yourself" attitude will probably be best suited to just working through things and figuring them out for themselves. But even that leaves the unknown unknowns, where there could be opportunities your are missing, or features you've overlooked.

All the potential performers I've interviewed so far have limited computing skill/experience.

All the potential performers I've interviewed so far have limited computing skill/experience.

That's all that's really needed. Can you reasonably navigate a website and read what's on the page? You can cam! Most of the job is interaction with people, not tinkering with your computer.

So you're going to be teaching CIS 101 then? I find it odd and perhaps even unlikely that there would be that many technology-illiterate people who desire a profession that depends on technology who would seek you out, but I suppose that is neither here nor there. Good luck with your venture. It is a beneficial offering to have the space to provide to performers who can't work from their homes or whatever, I'm simply saying that offering "training" likely won't be a big draw.

What sites will you use and how will you ensure you can provide accurate and adequate support for all the sites? How will you gain knowledge of the platform from the viewpoint of a model prior to hiring these girls?

This is also something other performers are quite adept at explaining, and again, this information is all readily available for anyone who looks. Studios can't provide anything in the way of training that isn't already out there, and so I don't find that this adds any value to their offerings.

OP asking what's services are useful to offer at a studio. You questioned he has ability to offer 'training' but should he rather just toss a model that comes to him in a room and just return 4 hours later and assume all goes to plan? Not all people that decide to cam work are ambition or even come in with a practical idea of how camming works. I'm sure more than enough models just think they sit in front of the cam and money falls in front of them. I'm just saying as a member that I see enough models flounder about because NOBODY explains even the basic mechanics about pvts and opening and closing sites and site rules and that this IS useful. Why shouldn't a studio offer anything that might increase a model's success. Sure a model might give more elaborate training through experience but it may be like thinking only a fireman can show you how to put out a fire. There are many universal basics that anyone can point out and teach when you're dealing with someone completely fresh like in a studio situation.

Also considering we don't even know what country the OP is from or where he would plan for a studio. We can't just apply the US standard in all situations. There are studio setups that seem misguided by US standards but work and people WANT in a Euro setting. I know there's plenty of info on camming in English on the web but I can't speak for what's there in other languages.

I'm just saying as a member that I see enough models flounder about because NOBODY explains even the basic mechanics about pvts and opening and closing sites and site rules and that this IS useful...

I've seen a lot of this as well and it's a shame. There is also all the income the models are losing as they learn through trial and error, or that they give up when with a little guidance they could have done really well. I've also seen girls do themselves some real damage as they aren't fully aware of the risks they are taking with certain performances.

What sites will you use and how will you ensure you can provide accurate and adequate support for all the sites? How will you gain knowledge of the platform from the viewpoint of a model prior to hiring these girls?

A smaller UK based cam site I use you can create profiles and test things out easily enough. It doesn't have a constant feed like MFC. I've even put myself on there in the past.

As for MFC, I'm assuming they have sandbox testing available but I haven't contacted them yet. I'm assuming MFC is the best to aim for if the girl is suited to it, however, there are a lot of networks these days...

I’d recommend to look at an actual legal and successful studio, and see if that really interests you.

Yeah, I was talking to one the other day. They were taking a 35% cut for performers in their studio, and 15% from ones performing from home. I don't think they were able to convey the value proposition well, but they could have just been me or the person I was talking to

I'm more interested in your model release. Are you going to be those garbage studios that keep a model from streaming for months on the site she built a following? A lot of studios have a waiting period before the model can stream again. Common opinion isn't positive and ends up leaving a model feel trapped.

Are you considering expanding your studio for virtual? So when a model does have the options on camming on her own, what benefits would your studio offer that would want to use your services and not go independent to earn more?

Yeah, I was talking to one the other day. They were taking a 35% cut for performers in their studio, and 15% from ones performing from home. I don't think they were able to convey the value proposition well, but they could have just been me or the person I was talking to
I think you are giving way too much emphasis to the percentage, and I’ll explain why. If we use a comparison from vanilla freelance, it might explain itself. Fiverr is taking a revenue share of a sold project, and so are Crossover. What is the size of an average payout in each? Which one will you proudly ad to your CV later, even if you were a remote freelancer? (Google and see).
A good studio, makes sure that the payout is already high to begin with, so that percentage would not be the core reason to sign up, stay, or go. Good studios don’t just lure in models, they also provide a high exposure to viewers.
There are minnie providers that take pride in their low revenue share, yet bring no traffic, no SEO, no email marketing, and no brand equity. The loyalty to their brand is somewhat crispy and frail. That’s just my tip of the iceberg knowledge, so feel free to take it with a grain of sand.

As for MFC, I'm assuming they have sandbox testing available

I have never heard of a camsite offering this. Either you're streaming or you're not, there's no practice setting.

You questioned he has ability to offer 'training' but should he rather just toss a model that comes to him in a room and just return 4 hours later and assume all goes to plan?

It's easy enough to have them spend time on the model wiki, or here, or another camming forum. Other models are better qualified to explain things than someone who has never cammed.

It's easy enough to have them spend time on the model wiki, or here, or another camming forum. Other models are better qualified to explain things than someone who has never cammed.

I agree that other models are better qualified; at the same time, someone able to help and explain things in-person may be a boon for some. I'm just thinking about learning styles, here. I also think the potential technical troubleshooting needed to smoothly cam is a bit more than what limited computing skills can do. I've worked in IT and seen how limited computer skills can be, even in tenured professors. One point there is that the OP would only be able to remote troubleshoot during a show if on MFC since men aren't allowed in the room, so training someone to be able to do it on their own (eventually) seems like a valuable service.

To the OP: it does seem like the consensus from the models is that any training about camming should be done by an actual cam model, no matter how good your intent may be, because you can't fully know without having done it yourself.

A tiny update. I know a little about Jake from Xbiz. He seems legit, careful, and unlike me, he’s not a turbo talker. He is actually listening and doing a research, before taking any action, if such will be taken. I can be a little fast to judge and harsh sometimes. I hope it helps.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Mintx
This forum doesn't appreciate (for lack of a better term) the role of studios in the cam industry. The general consensus here is that working for a studio is akin to modern slavery and models can always do better on their own, although nothing could be farther from the truth.

I have to chuckle when I hear that a non-compete clause is some sort of evil trickery, it is standard in all entertainment contracts. Most studios operate on a sliding scale, the more a model earns, the less the of a percentage the studio takes. Again, this is an ethical business practice.

Then there is the attitude that only other models can train new models. How dare a man try to tell me how to do my job!? Well, ladies, it is men who provide the revenue and I think what they like and dislike is pretty goddamn important. If you choose not to cater to your demographic (men 45 to 60, who have the money to spend), you are losing earnings.

I don't know if you are going to open a virtual or physical studio but both have their advantages for models. They take away all the off cam stuff from models: social media promotion, filtering Email, sending and receiving gifts, editing and promoting videos on multiple platforms, etc. All that stuff is handled by staff, when a studio model logs off at the end of her shift, her time is her own.

Then there is the presence (or pressure) of a set work schedule when working for a studio. I am going to generalize here, but young adults need some guidance, if left to their own devices they tend to procrastinate. Sometimes, it may feel like you are herding cats. I have found the peer pressure and penalties work best (although that is always a last resort), model A texts model B to get her online.

Lastly, you have to have some financial backing, you can't miss a single payday or they will scatter like rabbits. You will know early on if it will work, do not throw good money after bad. Shutdown, regroup and try again but you are entering a tough, competitive industry. Good luck, you will need it.

The general consensus here is that working for a studio is akin to modern slavery and models can always do better on their own

There is a lot of predatory behavior focused on people who work in the adult industry. There are websites geared towards singing models up that offer no value, no support. They just want to leach off model's earnings. Those websites give studios a bad name.

their advantages for models. They take away all the off cam stuff from models: social media promotion, filtering Email, sending and receiving gifts, editing and promoting videos on multiple platforms, etc. All that stuff is handled by staff, when a studio model logs off at the end of her shift, her time is her own.

If those are really value adding services; why are they not advertising and offering those services to all models.

Status
Not open for further replies.