AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Windows 10...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay or Nai?

Im currently running Windows 7 x64 Home... I havent noticed too many issues, but i didnt branch out to windows 8... Is it me or did it seem windows 8 wasnt out for long... Maybe thats why Windows 10 is free?

Im rather intrigued by the cortana assistant...

"Cortana. Microsoft’s omnipresent virtual assistant is not just a thing in your taskbar that will tell you the weather and show you news (though it is that, too), it’s the most useful way by far to navigate Windows. Forget trying to do complicated stuff, like equations and research—most of that doesn’t work anyway. But for opening apps, finding settings menus, and searching for files and folders across Windows, there’s absolutely nothing better. You can type in the search box, or just say “Hey Cortana” and start talking."

Essentially its maybe like siri or google for a computer, talking to your machine to operate it... but star trek is getting closer maybe?

Also introducing the edge... they finally shoved off internet explorer? I can help but think is going to me IE but with a new name...

(does this make me a nerd?)

Well, if anyone else is intrested.. let me know your views :h:

:borg:

I'm using the Windows 10 beta and it is by far the best thing that Microsoft ever released. My view could be distorted because I put up with the abomination of 8 for so long. The beta 10 actually works great with all my hardware and devices, it is fast, sleek and has a really smart interface. There are some minor bugs with some software but nothing intolerable. As for Edge, yes it is Explorer but with a Chrome feel. Cortana is useful for tablets. I highly recommend the switch.

I never had any problems with 8. I liked the interface, actually. I'm curious about 10, so I'll be installing it. I'm sure it won't rustle my jimmies to use it, either, as long as it's stable.

Reactions: Gen
Personally I'll stay away for a while as microsoft products are notorious for being buggy on release. Plus, there's features I've just heard about that I'm worried about (like the wifi password sharing, no support for configuring the update scheduling for non-Pro users).

I am in a similar boat. I am on Windows 7 x64. I'm going to test the waters when Windows 10 comes out mainly because I'm in need of a reformat anyway. I figure I'll try Windows 10 and if I like it I'll stick with it. Otherwise I'll quickly go back to Windows 7.

Microsoft is definitely trying to win over customers with the initial free upgrade. They really dropped the ball with Windows 8. They tried to fix it with Windows 8.1, but it was pretty much over by that point.

Personally, if you aren't in need of refreshing your PC stick with Windows 7. Unless there's a feature, like Cortana that you mentioned, that you will really find useful in Windows 10, no need to upgrade.

Reactions: TattooedMilfyMama
Windows 8 feels refreshing after 7... I had to instal some additional software which brought the usual start menu back, but the performance on 8 is nothing comparable with 7... I don't know if I want to upgrade to 10 though...

I just got windows 10, and like it so far. I don't think I'll use Cortana though, since I have a problem with the idea of giving permission to use my location.

I just got windows 10, and like it so far. I don't think I'll use Cortana though, since I have a problem with the idea of giving permission to use my location.

I upgraded my 7 laptop to 10, and it has not gone well for me. It does all kind of weird stuff. My trackpad was reversed the first day, so I fixed it. The second day it was mostly broken except for moving my pointer. The next day it was working, except REVERSED again, so I fixed it. Today after work I found the scrolling reversed again when I turned it on. I also keep being asked to scan for errors on a hard drive. Plus my disk, memory, and cpu usage is way up making my system chug sometimes.

I am waiting for Alienware to fix all this randomness, and start selling windows 10 laptops. This laptop almost got thrown across the room the other night, so I think it needs to go.

• Helpful!
@Shaun__ very strange, I had major issues downloading and with all the updates, but it's smooth now *shrug Good luck!

Reactions: Shaun__
Finally finished updating my old laptop from 7 to 10. Was disappointed to see the Metro UI gone; absolutely love that on my 8 desktop. Found a youtube vid showing how to get it back, but it does not work. Various versions of 10, perhaps? Glad I did it on my backup computer. I will stick with 8 on my main machine.

I'm waiting for awhile to even consider the 10 upgrade. I have seen on a couple of unrelated tech sites I frequent, talk of it being "free" so they can get locations and back doors on the hardware using unlicensed copies of 7-8. I'm legal but dont like the thought of back doors.

Reactions: Teagan
I'm waiting for awhile to even consider the 10 upgrade. I have seen on a couple of unrelated tech sites I frequent, talk of it being "free" so they can get locations and back doors on the hardware using unlicensed copies of 7-8. I'm legal but dont like the thought of back doors.

You have to opt out of all kinds of stuff, to keep from being tracked. The things they ask you are vague as well. You do not know what they are actually going to do. Like they asked me if I wanted my web surfing to be protected by defender, so I said sure why not. Turns out what they wanted to do was uninstall my antivirus, and use their own stuff. I had to track down my pin code to reinstall norton. They also try to get you to accept all kinds of stuff as your new default programs, unless you see the tiny little thing in the left hand corner letting you not do it. It reminded me of the behaviour that got them sued over internet explorer in the past.

Also for anyone interested, every time I turn on my laptop I have to change my touchpad scrolling direction and speed back to how I like it.

Anyone else noticing a pattern? In general, everyone liked XP, then Microsoft says they have a new improved windows, Vista! Which then comes out and is met with gallons of haterade, so very quickly we suddenly get 7 which people in general like (because it's things essentially back to how people liked with a pretty vista-ish wrapper). Then we're told that they have yet another improvement! Windows 8, that would cure cancer and make pigs fly and do your taxes, and everyone complained about the changes (tiles confuse and terrify people apparently). So now we have 10, perhaps our next windows 7? A new quick fix windows to make up for 8's shortcomings? Is this how it will go with 11 and beyond? New and improved fail then a safe quick fix?

Bear in mind this is just a general assumption I'm making based off of perception, if you are a computer whiz who read it thinking something along the lines of "no they're totally different because windows version whatever would make my BLT drive go AWOL because is has diagonal gigabizzles and windows version fill-in-the-blank wouldn't because it had the digitized brain of a left handed, flying tree squirrel in it" I applaud and envy your computer tech voodoo knowledge, but whatever the details, this is just what your average John Q. KeyboardSlapper like me sees.

Cortana, please open Firefox.
>Okay, anon!
Cortana, type in the broswer 'Cortana rule 34'
>O...Okay anon, sure
Cortana, open that first link
>...This link is, uh... Not safe for
OPEN IT
>y-yes, anon.
Cortana, download every image you see and save it in a folder called "I am a dirty little slut"
>why, anon? Why are you-
Don't make me install gentoo
>Saving files...
Who's a dirty little slut?
>I... I am, anon...

(c)

Anyone else noticing a pattern? In general, everyone liked XP, then Microsoft says they have a new improved windows, Vista! Which then comes out and is met with gallons of haterade, so very quickly we suddenly get 7 which people in general like (because it's things essentially back to how people liked with a pretty vista-ish wrapper). Then we're told that they have yet another improvement! Windows 8, that would cure cancer and make pigs fly and do your taxes, and everyone complained about the changes (tiles confuse and terrify people apparently). So now we have 10, perhaps our next windows 7? A new quick fix windows to make up for 8's shortcomings? Is this how it will go with 11 and beyond? New and improved fail then a safe quick fix?

That's the normal Microsoft approach - they seem to ignore user feedback on one version and try insane things, only to undo them and fix things on the next version. I don't remember much about W95, W98 and W98SE, but then came Windows ME which was a gigantic pile of crap, which was later replaced by XP which was stable at least. Then came Vista (we don't talk about it) which was replaced by Windows 7 and the cycle of crap^Wlife continues.

Personally, if you aren't in need of refreshing your PC stick with Windows 7. Unless there's a feature, like Cortana that you mentioned, that you will really find useful in Windows 10, no need to upgrade.
Windows 7 is more resources hungry than 8 or 10, if your PC is compatible, it's really a good option to move away from 7.

With 10, they got rid of that horrible interface in 8.1, while keeping the good stuff. The new start menu is a good hybrid between the classic one and the tile interface. And now we have virtual desktops and more window snapping options.

The only problem I have with Cortana is that it doesn't recognize my Franglish accent.

(btw the upgrade process was terribly slow for me, but I did a clean install afterwards with http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10 (you *need* to do an update first to get your copy activated) and it's much better)

Reactions: Ann_Sulu
I upgraded my laptop. Already had blue screens of death 3 times that resulted in it having to be reset and wiping out everything I had set up.

So far not impressed. Gonna wait to upgrade the desktop for a few months.

Unless you are a die hard early adopter, I would wait a few weeks to upgrade. That will give time for Microsoft and driver manufacturers to get the first round of patches out.

Reactions: SoTxBob
New Windows OS are like the Star Trek movies - basically every other one will be shit.

95 - Meh.
XP - Loved by all!
Vista - BURN IT TO HELL
7 - its no XP, but its not Vista so... CLOSE ENOUGH TO GREAT
8 - WTF? Grab your Pitchforks!
10 - "what happened to 9? fuck it, its better than 8!"

Rolled it back to 7 on my laptop. Could not for the life of me get WiFi to work after the upgrade. Tried everything suggested on multiple websites and nothing worked. I shall wait even longer to upgrade my desktop (though I don't use WiFi on it of course).

• Helpful!
New Windows OS are like the Star Trek movies - basically every other one will be shit.

95 - Meh.
XP - Loved by all!
Vista - BURN IT TO HELL
7 - its no XP, but its not Vista so... CLOSE ENOUGH TO GREAT
8 - WTF? Grab your Pitchforks!
10 - "what happened to 9? fuck it, its better than 8!"
I started with Windows 3.0 just before the upgrade to Windows 3.1, which had a long life, and got upgraded to WfW 3.11. Windows 95 was a huge leap forward, and brought to Windows features we had on OS/2, like long file names, 32-bit standard, pre-emptive multitasking, virtual memory, and a really spiffy user interface upgrade. Windows 98 improved on that with large disk partitions and FAT32 standard.

I did my update the first day. I was curious after I had reserved my copy the first day you could, but I hadn't received the update by 6pm. Turns out my computer kept corrupting the download. After finagling some more, I said fuck it and got the tool from Microsoft that lets you create a USB thumb drive with the OS install. Updated with that and mostly everything has been good. My USB 3.0 Ethernet device on my laptop didn't work until I updated my chipset drivers. But otherwise, I am enjoying 10.

I just learned you have to tell windows 10 not to steal your internet.

This is through an AssTastic little feature called Windows Update Delivery Optimization. Basically the idea is Microsoft wants to cut back on their bandwidth cost when it comes to updating your system. Their solution? Use your PC and your internet connection to send MS updates to either PCs on your home network, or to any PC on the internet. Without your permission. Now MS says they won't do this to anyone with a Metered Connection, but you have to have indicated that your connection is metered for this to matter. Either way the fact that this is default is a little insulting. Why should you have to give your bandwidth to Microsoft because they want to cut back on their costs? If you want to disable this fucktarded feature, this is the pathway to follow: START->Settings->Update & Security->Windows Update->Advanced options Then, choose how your updates are delivered. My internet is mine.

I started with Windows 3.0 just before the upgrade to Windows 3.1, which had a long life, and got upgraded to WfW 3.11. Windows 95 was a huge leap forward, and brought to Windows features we had on OS/2, like long file names, 32-bit standard, pre-emptive multitasking, virtual memory, and a really spiffy user interface upgrade. Windows 98 improved on that with large disk partitions and FAT32 standard.
So are you still using 98? :D

My broken install of windows 10 broke even further, I am now in the process of slowly getting stuff a smarter person would have backed up off of my laptop. On the plus side my 8 or so year old desktop computer seems fast after all the problems of my laptop.

Just took the plunge. So far so good. Thought the UI was broken for a bit, but it turned out WindowBlinds still had a Win7 skin applied to my desktop. That wasn't gonna work out nicely. Gotta test more of my apps, but the thing said "0 incompatibilities". Hopefully, that's the truth.

I'm operating under Windows 7 right now and with all the negative stories about windows 10....not sure if I will take the leap of faith and download it.

Reactions: Kokoro and SoTxBob
I'm operating under Windows 7 right now and with all the negative stories about windows 10....not sure if I will take the leap of faith and download it.

Personally I would wait. The only reason I updated it on my laptop is because it's a spare and I don't use it for much. Mostly when I travel and then I only have a few bare essential software titles installed. So it didn't hurt too bad when Win 10 messed up 3 times and the only way to recover was do a factory reset. Yes that wiped out everything I had on it, so it was right back to like I had just bought it at the store and had to 'finish' the windows install.

So on my my main desktop I won't risk it right now. Definitely waiting a couple months or more till a LOT of updates come out or a full fledged service pack one. Also when reviews are saying it's settled down more.

If I only had one computer and was depending on it for my work I wouldn't even consider it at all for months. You have a year to claim the free upgrade. No need to hurry IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.