AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Alt-j Grammy nomination...deserved?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sciencesavvy89

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
Nov 14, 2014
Twitter Username
@sciencesavvy89
Chaturbate Username
sciencesavvy
I love Alt-j but I feel like their second album was like the lesser version of their first album, I saw ththem in concert and they were extremely boring.

I'm something of a musical snob so anything I have to say on the matter should probably be taken with a grain of salt :)

But yes. I think they deserve it. But only because the Grammys (much like the UK equivalent, the Brit Awards) are little more than a corporate industry awards ceremony designed to sell records and advertising space*. Maybe it's always been this way, but the idea of a music ceremony that truly celebrates the best music of the year seems very quaint in 2014. It's all about record companies and third parties lobbying for inclusion with money being the focal point as opposed to the music itself. So on those grounds, Alt-j are just as worthy of inclusion as anyone else.

For what it's worth, my nominations for Album of the Year would be thus:

War On Drugs - Lost in the Dream
TV On The Radio - Seeds
Sharon Van Etten - Are We There
How To Dress Well - What Is This Heart?
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2 (I see no reason why a hip hop record should be excluded from the Album of the Year category just because it also fits into another sub-category, yo)
Caribou - Our Love
Flying Lotus - You're Dead!
FKA Twigs - LP1
Hozier - Hozier (look! A mainstream album :dance:)
Aphex Twin - Syro
Spoon - They Want My Soul
Perfect Pussy - Say Yes To Love

*I will say that, unlike the Brit Awards, the Grammys do feel a little more discerning the further down the awards hierarchy you go. While I could never take the main awards seriously, by the time you get down to things like Best Rap Performance, or Best Instrumental Composition, or Best Blues Album, there's a little more prestige involved in those awards because there's less money involved. There's no prestige left in the Brit Awards full stop.

Reactions: sciencesavvy89
The Grammys is and always will be a fucking joke.

Remember when they gave the very first "best hard rock/metal performance" award to Jethro Tull back in '89? JT weren't even remotely hard rock at the time and they were certainly not a metal band whatsoever.

mynameisbob84 said:
I'm something of a musical snob so anything I have to say on the matter should probably be taken with a grain of salt :)

But yes. I think they deserve it. But only because the Grammys (much like the UK equivalent, the Brit Awards) are little more than a corporate industry awards ceremony designed to sell records and advertising space*. Maybe it's always been this way, but the idea of a music ceremony that truly celebrates the best music of the year seems very quaint in 2014. It's all about record companies and third parties lobbying for inclusion with money being the focal point as opposed to the music itself. So on those grounds, Alt-j are just as worthy of inclusion as anyone else.

TV On The Radio - Seeds
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2 (I see no reason why a hip hop record should be excluded from the Album of the Year category just because it also fits into another sub-category, yo)
Caribou - Our Love
FKA Twigs - LP1
Aphex Twin - Syro

*I will say that, unlike the Brit Awards, the Grammys do feel a little more discerning the further down the awards hierarchy you go. While I could never take the main awards seriously, by the time you get down to things like Best Rap Performance, or Best Instrumental Composition, or Best Blues Album, there's a little more prestige involved in those awards because there's less money involved. There's no prestige left in the Brit Awards full stop.
I feel so incredibly uncool because I haven't heard of any of those artists.

Reactions: Red7227 and weirdbr
BloodRed87 said:
The Grammys is and always will be a fucking joke.

Remember when they gave the very first "best hard rock/metal performance" award to Jethro Tull back in '89? JT weren't even remotely hard rock at the time and they were certainly not a metal band whatsoever.

Remember it like it was yesterday. Now get off my lawn.

AmberCutie said:
mynameisbob84 said:

TV On The Radio - Seeds
Caribou - Our Love
FKA Twigs - LP1
Aphex Twin - Syro

To be fair, most of them are quite obscure. The only ones to get any radio play in England are Hozier and FKA Twigs, and I don't know if they'd be big enough to get radio play over there. You've quite possible heard "Windowlicker" before (takes a while for the song to start proper but it's one of the great, weird music videos)...

... but the rest are all the type of bands that most people don't have the time or inclination to seek out but that hipsters delight in claiming they've been listening to for years but in actuality only discovered when Pitchfork reviewed their latest album :p

Reactions: AmberCutie
mynameisbob84 said:

TV On The Radio - Seeds
Caribou - Our Love
FKA Twigs - LP1
Aphex Twin - Syro

OMG all of those Albums were amazing. I thought Hozier only had an EP out, thats all I've heard but it was fantastic! FKA Twigs is fantastic but I have a thing against Spoon, I don't know what it is but I can't get into them, I've been trying since like 2006 lol. I don't even know when the Grammys is.

AmberCutie said:
mynameisbob84 said:

TV On The Radio - Seeds
Caribou - Our Love
FKA Twigs - LP1
Aphex Twin - Syro

Join the cool kids club and check out Hozier and TV on the Radio

sciencesavvy89 said:
mynameisbob84 said:

TV On The Radio - Seeds
Caribou - Our Love
FKA Twigs - LP1
Aphex Twin - Syro

OMG all of those Albums were amazing. I thought Hozier only had an EP out, thats all I've heard but it was fantastic! FKA Twigs is fantastic but I have a thing against Spoon, I don't know what it is but I can't get into them, I've been trying since like 2006 lol. I don't even know when the Grammys is.

Hozier's album came out in the UK a little while ago. Not sure about America though. It's self-titled and probably wouldn't be too hard to track down online. Well worth the effort IMO :thumbleft:

Status
Not open for further replies.