AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Do I.T. Yourself

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyLuna

Inactive Cam Model
Mar 8, 2010
ladylunasplace.blogspot.com
Twitter Username
@EveMatteo
MFC Username
LadyLuna
Streamate Username
Lady_Luna
Clips4Sale URL
http://clips4sale.com/store/42697/LadyLuna
A fan of mine has created a DIY Techsupport site. It's currently in blog format, and doesn't have much, but he plans on adding stuff a couple times a week. The very first post is a general "what the heck is this about", and the second is his first tackle: why the hell does tech support always make you reboot?

The Site is here, and the "about this site" runs as follows:

DIYTechSupport.net said:
Have you ever called technical support for a computer issue? Has your internet ever disconnected, and you were powerless to fix it? Is your printer an expensive paperweight because you don’t know how to get it working? Do you wish you understood what the computer technicians at the office are talking about?

You’re in the right place.

For years, I’ve worked in various support environments assisting everyone from home users, to military officers to high powered executives. In each of these cases, I’ve always tried to make sure the person understands the problem, what we did to fix it, and how it all came together. It’s like that old saying: “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” I try to teach everyone how to fish, and that’s why I created DIYTechSupport.net.

The goal of this site is to look at computer problems – some mundane, some more serious – and walk through different troubleshooting steps to resolve them. Not so you can read the instructions and follow them blindly, but so you can learn them and apply them to your own problems. Be your own technical support, and make computer life a little more bearable.

He provides a few links of sites that teach about computers and computer problems in a sidebar, as well as a contact email for questions and suggestions to post about.

My first reaction was "trying to put tech support out of business?" Which was said jokingly. Then I said "but I see the, it's more like trying to get people to deal with what they can, and leave tech support for the really bad issues."

Anyway, I told him I'd help him pimp it a little, and I thought, with all the people who come to Amber's forum for tech support, it might be a good place to post it. Like I said, not really that much info there yet, but what is there is good, and it will grow.

besides, he said when he makes millions off it, he'll send oodles of tokens my way. Some of which, of course, will be turned into tokens for me to tip Amber with :p

I'mma wait a week and see how it plays out, then post it on twitter if he really does keep up with it. I think he will.

Your friend has a good idea, I've always thought if "regular" folks (yes, I work in IT also) learned 5% more about their systems, they would be better off. Without looking at your bud's website, I'll take a stab at the "reboot" question.

I am only addressing Windows machines. The whole Windows environment is controlled by a large database called the "registry". When ever you install a program, install hardware, or even change a font...there is a corresponding registry entry and/or change. Going back to the dinosaur days (mainframes), databases had to be brought down and back up for adds/changes. This has long been done on the weekends (when less business was occurring), and this process continues today as the "weekend maintenance window".

OK, back to Windows...so you installed a printer...it kind of works, or you have an MFD and 2 out of 3 functions work. Tech support's script starts off with: "Is your printer plugged in?" If the printer is NOT plugged in, this has been traditionally known as a "Code eye-dee-ten-tee" (ID10T)...LOL! Anyway, after checking A/C power, they will ask you to reboot to "refresh" the Windows registry.

Poorly written or complicated drivers (program that allows Windows to control/communicate with the device) will not always update the registry properly (hot start), hence the need for a reboot (cold start). There are many ways to "re-start" the registry without rebooting, and a Power-User might choose to do this. Be very careful, as you can "brick" the registry (although there are 2 hidden copies on your system). Rebooting is an easy and relatively painless way to do this.

As hand held devices become more complicated, we will see this same issue (rebooting to refresh the start-up DB) on them...if it hasn't happened already.

Good luck to you friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.