AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Do you believe that rape culture is real?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They also encourage mob mentality while stifling discussion. They provide nothing positive and don't belong on any adult discussion forum in my opinion. Would be cool to at least have the option to opt out of giving and receiving them but not sure if that is technically feasible. Just my opinion, holds little weight still being a bit of a noob here but yeah, they are awful.

I like them and here are several reasons why:

- nice way to acknowledge people and let them know they're being heard (especially can help balance out clique vibes, for example a new model might not get as many replies in a models only thread as someone beloved and well known but ratings can let them know it's been read and someone's listening...I'm sure this is reflective of what was said in the article @HiGirlsRHot posted but I haven't read it yet)

- can reflect the quality of advice being given -- hopefully if a potential model sees "get naked for free" has a ton of disagrees, or sees another response get lots of agrees, they'll consider that before just blindly taking advice

- the "helpful" rating is, imo, a nice way to acknowledge when someone posts something useful or even just puts a lot of time into their post

- it's nicer than having to reply all the time saying "yes I agree" haha, sometimes I want to express myself without delving into the convo

I rate a ton of posts because I like passively supporting people being active and I appreciate a lot of what's posted here. And I do get warm fuzzies when I see that people who's opinions I respect agree or like my posts (again I'm sure Facebook made me this way). I'd be sad if the ratings went away even though I do agree they can be cliquey and used to virtue signal sometimes.

- nice way to acknowledge people and let them know they're being heard (especially can help balance out clique vibes, for example a new model might not get as many replies in a models only thread as someone beloved and well known but ratings can let them know it's been read and someone's listening...I'm sure this is reflective of what was said in the article @HiGirlsRHot posted but I haven't read it yet)

- can reflect the quality of advice being given -- hopefully if a potential model sees "get naked for free" has a ton of disagrees, or sees another response get lots of agrees, they'll consider that before just blindly taking advice

- the "helpful" rating is, imo, a nice way to acknowledge when someone posts something useful or even just puts a lot of time into their post

- it's nicer than having to reply all the time saying "yes I agree" haha, sometimes I want to express myself without delving into the convo

I rate a ton of posts because I like passively supporting people being active and I appreciate a lot of what's posted here. And I do get warm fuzzies when I see that people who's opinions I respect agree or like my posts (again I'm sure Facebook made me this way). I'd be sad if the ratings went away even though I do agree they can be cliquey and used to virtue signal sometimes.

I can understand why you like them. If the people here used them the way you do, they would be much less embarrassing to deal with. Sadly, they don't and it has only gotten worse since I've been here. Guess I'll just have to cringe and bear it. Get it? Like grin and bear it but with cringe. Man I'm bored.

Reactions: Gen

I wholeheartedly agree with the positive reinforcement aspect.

For those more sensitive than I, the not so positive social judgments should probably be accompanied with some sort of reasoning, at least in the non model forum. .02

Reactions: Gen
They also encourage mob mentality while stifling discussion. They provide nothing positive and don't belong on any adult discussion forum in my opinion. Would be cool to at least have the option to opt out of giving and receiving them but not sure if that is technically feasible. Just my opinion, holds little weight still being a bit of a noob here but yeah, they are awful.

I personally wouldn't take it seriously. If people disagree with you, and that's how they choose to express it. Meh. If you didn't want any opposing your opinion, don't post. It happens in the M/O section too.

Not gonna lie I'm totally want to facepalm all your posts at random now. Since it bugs you.
tumblr_nt5g0kEOdr1st0dt8o2_500.gif

I personally wouldn't take it seriously. If people disagree with you, and that's how they choose to express it. Meh. If you didn't want any opposing your opinion, don't post. It happens in the M/O section too.

Not gonna lie I'm totally want to facepalm all your posts at random now. Since it bugs you.
tumblr_nt5g0kEOdr1st0dt8o2_500.gif

You don't seem to understand what I was saying. I welcome opposing opinions, just not in the form of button mashing. You can facepalm all my posts if you like, won't bug me as long as you explain why.

You don't seem to understand what I was saying. I welcome opposing opinions, just not in the form of button mashing. You can facepalm all my posts if you like, won't bug me as long as you explain why.
No I understand what you are saying. You see it as "button mashing." I see it as "choosing to express though emote." No one owes you an explanation too. Sometimes people just read and are busy to post, but still wants to engage in the conversation, but not to derail and flame.

I feel that is an extremely immature way to express oneself but you do you.

Well everyone chooses to express themselves differently. You choose to reeeee and bitch when people facepalm posts. But who am I to judge?
200_s.gif

Yep, some just choose to try to be adults about it.

Glad to see the cringe crew has rushed in. Needed the chuckles.

I remember you made a post about how you thought calling people names were immature? Kettle meet pot.

Yep, some just choose to try to be adults about it.

Glad to see the cringe crew has rushed in. Needed the chuckles.

"Cringe crew" is a pretty immature statement to describe people you don't agree with from someone who's complaining about people not being adults.

Clearly I have triggered a few people.

I'm out. There is just no discussing this like reasonable adults.

No interest in continuing to argue with you. You bore me.
Oh hunny, I ain't arguing. See I simply had a difference of opinion. Can't you take it? Someone having a different opinion? Because you tend to get a very condescending tone towards people who do. And why act shock when you be a dick, people will be one to you.

Clearly I have triggered a few people.

I'm out. There is just no discussing this like reasonable adults.
Be condescending. Be insulting. Fine. It's a touchy subject. But be able to take it when people act the same way right back towards ya.

Cheezits christ. I thought it was supposed to just be us bleeding heart liberals who get our panties in a knot.

Children. Nothing but children. No one should be posting in this thread after 9 p.m.

It is past your bedtimes, all of you.

Can we start a new thread to argue about ratings and the "cringe crew" if this is going to keep going please? Pretty sure this is like 10th time this thread went off topic to bitch about ratings and it'd be cool if we could stay on topic.

I'd hope @AmberCutie would be open to letting us have a discussion about keeping them.
The discussion is that we are keeping them... :)

If you'd like to discuss post ratings and how they make you feel, feel free to start a new thread for that, but I am not considering removing them if that's all the topic would be.

I remember you made a post about how you thought calling people names were immature? Kettle meet pot.

Hasn't stopped you from name calling though, has it?
Oh hunny, I ain't arguing. See I simply had a difference of opinion. Can't you take it? Someone having a different opinion? Because you tend to get a very condescending tone towards people who do. And why act shock when you be a dick, people will be one to you.

Oh hunny, you really need to look in the mirror with your non arguing, non name calling and non condescending tone self.

Reactions: heybarkeep
Hasn't stopped you from name calling though, has it?

Oh hunny, you really need to look in the mirror with your non arguing, non name calling and non condescending tone self.

I appreciate you trying to stick up for me because I had to put her on ignore. Don't have the desire or patience to deal with certain people.

• Hugs
Reactions: AudriTwo
Because of this topic thought would share my direct family experiences of sexual abuse and violence, and what I have learned about it at the end. The important thing to take from this is that adults can move on with life. My sister is happily married 19 years with children, my mother is happy and thinking or retirement. None of us carry the actions of our perpetrators with us anymore, or pass it on to others.

I spoke of my niece and nephew travelling to school alone. Can you imagine how challenging that was for my sister to do that. Her beliefs tell her that she wanted them to learn independence but her past told her to protect them. She chose bravery.

This is what happened in my direct family, within 9 years. At the end is what I have learnt for myself and from family members about healing and what to do after being a victim. I share this so that I can demonstrate the range of life events that we had to learn from.

I am a victim of child abuse (for a few years each time), once when 8, and again when 11, by two separate, unrelated perpetrators (they didn't know each other). The second was caught, thanks to my sister, and his own daughter. The first never was and may have abused as many as 50 children (The stranger danger type monster we warn our children about.).

At 10 I had my first female sexual experience. A friend of my sisters came onto me, technically without consent. I suspect that she was abused also (Predatory child).

From 12 to 17 I became quite a predatory creep, almost raping someone (with my male group of friends) at 17 changed me. By 19 I was beginning to work things out and heal.

My sister (10) and cousin were groped by their grandfather.

My sister was sexually abused later on by the same perpetrator as me when she was 11, my mother's BF. (My sister and I escaped an abusive step mother after my father's remarriage. Physically abusive, her children are some seriously messed up adults, so we got lucky: Even though it was into the care of a predator.)

When my mother was 31, she was hit over the head with a block of wood in the desert, the perpetrator was intending to rape her. I will assume not to kill her, but he most likely would have. She ran across the road bleeding from her head into traffic, and got rescued. When you meet evil and escape it, you don't want to be thinking of meeting any more of them. Believing that they are rare is far healthier.

At 34 I saw her being held by the throat, and threatened by her BF. She looked him in the eye and told him to let her go. I asked her about it, she said that she couldn't risk showing him how scared she was in front of her children.

At 40 she was kidnapped by her child abusing ex, who threatened her children as she slept. He tried to force her in the boot of the car, but she resisted this. She escaped him a few hours later by convincing him to untie her, and then when the opportunity arose to climb down a balcony.

Age 55 she had a boyfriend stalking her, so she confronted him and sent him away.
Since then no more partners for my mother.

This is what we've learnt:
  • Women need to be brave when men confront them. Reacting to fear is pointless, and may get you or the ones you love injured.
  • Anyone can become a victim. When a perpetrator attacks someone, they have no idea on how the 'victim' will react, attack, freeze or run.
  • Do not hide being victimized. It is not shameful to the victim only to the perpetrator.
  • You can't measure the injury to someone by the severity of the crime. This means that sometimes people are weak, sometimes people are strong.
  • The key to being an adult is that you choose whether to heal or not. Child victims don't have that option, they must wait until they are adults, you can only try your best to equip them for what they will need to do later to heal.
  • Never give a perpetrator more of your time than is required to heal, they just aren't worth it: Also never bring innocent people with you or allow your pain to hurt them.
Kitsune's story about not feeling like a victim when assaulted is fine. Sometimes what seems terrible can be easy to integrate. To someone different it can be scarring.

In terms of the rape culture discussion, too many victims are bringing their emotional baggage to innocent people. When you have been a victim of some crime you must be very careful about labeling other people as similar to your perpetrator or other people like yourself as victims.
Do this to someone often enough and they may start to be influenced by it.
Look towards experiments such as the Asch conformity experiment or Milgram's look up experiment, or perhaps the infamous obedience experiment and you will soon realize just how flexible people can be to the influence of others: And especially in groups we can be particularly vulnerable to one scared or malicious individual.

For those of you scared or creeped out by someone, you should listen to that, be ready to act. Just be aware that reacting wrongly to this instinct, especially if you have been a victim in the past can be toxic. Infecting every other woman in the room over a false alarm for instance, can send of wave of distrust through both men and women in that room.
If it happens often enough to this group, it may develop into a rape culture. The same is true of a perpetrator infecting a room, that one malicious individual, but they are out of our control until they do something to expose themselves.

This is one of the reasons that I said women who like and get along with men are so important to other women's emotional security. They know and trust men, men tend to really calm down their impulses in response to such women. In terms of what I said above, they are less influenced by others in such positive company.
Men who know women well act more like interpreters, I am not sure that the reverse works in the same way.

I think this is an interesting topic, even if quite an unpleasant one. When it comes to law/ punishment I can definitely see the argument for an overriding rape culture; as for citizens in general, I think it is pushing it. We do see groups occasionally form this type of culture though.

I'm not even just annoyed that this thread keeps derailing into talking about the ratings, I'm more so annoyed that the same person has derailed so many threads to whine about people disagreeing with them because they think every single person needs to justify each individual rating...

Your heart is in the right place, Guy. It's nice you care about the models on here, stand up for mariginalized people and don't want anyone getting upset but I think it just came off gloaty as stated before and that in turn, makes you sound unwelcoming/intolerant.

It sucks that kitsune left feeling attacked but at the same time no one can expect people to take it lightly when they get a 'chill pill' for discussing a rape experience. I know I had to ignore her myself and restrain myself from getting into ragey-mode when I saw the whole "partner rape isn't as bad as stranger rape" having my experiences with it. I guess what I'm trying to say is...it goes both ways. We all dish out shit and can't expect/predict/control people's reactions.

I had her on ignore from another thread and I think she then put me on ignore so I have absolutely no idea what was written on this thread. I have no issue with people having different opinions to me, I've often had disagreements with regulars on here or models I respect. What I can't handle is an inability for any flexibility in a discussion, if there is no flexibility or sensitivity then it is just an argument, which IMO ceases to be educational, nor is it something I enjoy. I don't believe I can learn from people who are completely closed off from learning themselves, it means I can't trust their information sources. I'm not altogether sad, I've been on ACF a long time, plenty of heated discussions in this time and I wasn't put off, but I left almost a year ago because she was stressing me out too much. But I don't think it's necessary to call out someone leaving and say "good riddance". Seems a bit harsh, there were clearly people who enjoyed her posts and agreed with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.