AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How fast is your internet?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael_G said:
RochelleUK said:
Michael_G said:
2457140655.png

Thats while my wife is on Skype and second life. BT fibre optic to the cabinet (fibre line stops at the street cabinet and not all the way to the master socket). Totally unlimited but traffic shaped for P2P during peek times.

Do you have the latest BT infinity they brought out?

Thats it, line is rated at 80mb. Copper line length from the green street cabinet to the master socket determines the overal line speed.

So essentially if my master socket could be moved to nearer the street cabinet I'd get a faster speed? I'm on the same infinity package & the speed I posted is one of the fastest I've had!!

Shaun__ said:
LadyLuna said:
If they're going by your upload speed, then I can see where they're getting that. I had to get really high-priced internet to get anything above 1.5 upload. Most Americans just go with the cheapest package in their area, and don't pay attention to how much upload/download they get. Gamers and camgirls are the two biggest legal exceptions to this (hackers probably do as well). Also, I don't think they're counting businesses in that number... since they tend to have higher internet speeds in the cheapest package.

Perverts also pay attention to download speeds. :shifty: Not that I would know or anything.
As a pervert and a gamer, I would know something about that...

i have an intresting question.... well i think it is :lol:

using a proxy, i managed to get these results:

notice the huge uploadspeed?

ok this when i checked right after without using it:

how is that possible??? and is it trustworthy when using a proxy in between?
i downloaded to get be finally able to see a video i coulnd't on youtube :angry4:

Mirra said:
I know some proxies make things faster because they cache frequently accessed content but I have absolutely no idea why the upload speeds would be significantly higher. That's rather odd.

i thought so too! i'm gonna test it out later... i guess the best way to figure it out is to broadcast...

HollieCakes said:

This Comcast with a $60 per month plan (I think?).. I just called and upgraded to an $80 per month one that supposed to have 15 upload or something like that. How long will it take to change over and get better??

They should be able to do it immediately. Make sure to reset your cable modem/router to take advantage of any changes.

With my VPN on:

0Qs6Xe7.png

Without the VPN on:

27spi3j.png

My mom pays 39,99 € per month for our internet.
The wifi router isn't more than 30 ft away from my computer. I'm pretty sure no one in the family but me is online at the moment.
If anyone could explain this shit, I'd be more than happy. :roll:

EDIT
This was supposed to be a PM!! I keep clicking Quote instead of PM -.-

LilyMarie said:
27spi3j.png

The wifi router isn't more than 30 ft away from my computer. I'm pretty sure no one in the family but me is online at the moment.

Ouch... Are you using the default arcor router? Had one of them once and it sucked :(
Could you try using a network cable and see if it gets better?

Stahlfaust said:
LilyMarie said:
27spi3j.png

Ouch... Are you using the default arcor router? Had one of them once and it sucked :(
I replied to your PM, but I'm going to reply here too in case anyone else can help... :/ Our router is by Netgear, the modem is by Arcor.
I can't use a cable because the router is in the study and my computer is in my bedroom, and I can't move it, I have to cam from here. I know friends who use Wifi too, without a cable, whose internet connection is much better than mine.

EDIT - that didn't work - I'll try again.

I have the bottom package with my isp. Its good enough for me as I don't upload a lot of stuff.

Mott_ said:
EDIT - that didn't work - I'll try again.

I have the bottom package with my isp. Its good enough for me as I don't upload a lot of stuff.

^^ FAIL by me!

Download: 30.36mbs
Upload: 1.9mbs
Ping:29ms

In the UK some got frustrated with BT's refusal to ever consider their area for super fast broadband, that they started their own company and have installed it themselves (so far laying 49km of Fibre!).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21455795

It means they go from this (typical of countryside UK)
xh1rD1U.jpg

V944Hji.jpg

Nice :D
They pay £30 a month (about $43?) but the initial outlay was significant. Several million... and not quite sure how they've financed that! as it'd imply each house hold has to pay several thousand pounds...

LilyMarie said:
Stahlfaust said:
LilyMarie said:
27spi3j.png

I replied to your PM, but I'm going to reply here too in case anyone else can help... :/ Our router is by Netgear, the modem is by Arcor.
I can't use a cable because the router is in the study and my computer is in my bedroom, and I can't move it, I have to cam from here. I know friends who use Wifi too, without a cable, whose internet connection is much better than mine.

Lily, have you tried changing your Wi-fi router channel? It might help?

Mott_ said:
I have no idea how to do that, I should google it, thanks

Needs more info Lily.

The speed you get can be a factor of many things, but primarily it is the distance between the exchange and your property.

To clarify, the exchange is not the little box that sits on each road - those will be street cabinets. There may be one exchange for an entire town.
Where I am currently there is one for the entire town of 110,000 inhabitants and I am 2 miles from the exchange.

My internet speed is comparable to yours.

So - what is your mother paying for? Is it a similar deal to others? What are your friends getting, where are they located.
In the UK (I know you aren't UK, but using an example) we have websites which can tell you how far you are from the exchange as well as the services available at said exchange (fibre, adsl2 etc). You can see if you have something similar where you are? You may also find out the location of the exchange, and therefore the distance of your friends.

And lastly, its just the ISP who may be shite. We had one where it was super slow (< 2Mb) until around 1am, at which point it sped up to 5Mb until 9am... and then slowed to <2 Mb again. We changed ISP and had a constant 5-6Mb 24/7. Funnily enough, that's at my parents place too... and they're 2 miles from the exchange in their location (countryside) and I'm 2 miles from mine in a town. Our speeds are comparable. Others on the same contracts but within 500m of the exchange may be getting 20Mb speed though.

My friend who lives in another town currently has 18 times more speed than myself for the same money :D

LilyMarie said:
Mott_ said:
I have no idea how to do that, I should google it, thanks

It worked for me when I did it and if I managed it, then anyone can do it :-D

I have to admit, I am quite unsure what many people are unhappy about.

Here is mine, again, for a comparison - and I live in a big town. 110,000 people is big! :)

2529852788.png

The download speed is fine for streaming services, it's usually only an issue with poor hosts to watch anything. However, if I wanted to watch streaming HD it may be an issue with freezing every now and then.

So for Joe Average user, the truth is you're unlikely to notice any issue with down speed when you're over 6Mb unless you're downloading large files (like games via Steam as it will take a while) or perhaps streaming HD stuff.

and with a 2mb up rate? I'm quite jealous :) I could host my own game server with that uprate, albeit a small one :D

It's normally faster than this especially since I upgraded my internet. I've gotten an A before.. weird. But I am in a different room than my wireless router atm.

2555075807.png

I just upgraded because my isp is charging me an extra $20 either way. Not seeing a huge difference, but hoping that this ups my Streamate placement a little perhaps?

PING 22 ms
Download speed: 5.19 Mbps
Upload speed: 4.84 Mbps

we have 3rd world internet here downunder and we are extorted to pay even more if you ever want to download anything, I'm envious of most speed people have been getting recently my speed has dropped by about 2/3 and i rarely get sound or video watching cams, but hey what can you do, its always my fault never the isp or carrier and they will charge a callout fee to find nothing wrong :lol:

i'm classed as borderline maximum distance from the exchange (about 2.1km - 1mi 536.59yd)

yeah im paying $68 a month for this shit just so i can have unlimited downloads from midnight till midday

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 43
Today's speedtest.net test gave me a 1.69 mbps download, and 0.26 mbps upload speed. :violin:

My mom and I are going to the electronics store tonight to talk to someone who works for a different ISP than the one we're currently using. We're probably getting a package where we'll get 'up to' 50 mbps download and 'up to' 2.5 mbps upload. My mom doesn't know I need a high upload speed so this is absolutely sufficient in her eyes and she doesn't really want to pay more.

I'm a bit worried about the upload speed because I want to return to MFC sometime in the future, and I'm not sure what speed is enough for me to see a significant improvement in my feed quality, compared to the ~0.57 - 0.6 mbps upload speed I used to have. Do you think I can count on it with the package we're now getting...? :?

LilyMarie said:
Today's speedtest.net test gave me a 1.69 mbps download, and 0.26 mbps upload speed. :violin:

My mom and I are going to the electronics store tonight to talk to someone who works for a different ISP than the one we're currently using. We're probably getting a package where we'll get 'up to' 50 mbps download and 'up to' 2.5 mbps upload. My mom doesn't know I need a high upload speed so this is absolutely sufficient in her eyes and she doesn't really want to pay more.

I'm a bit worried about the upload speed because I want to return to MFC sometime in the future, and I'm not sure what speed is enough for me to see a significant improvement in my feed quality, compared to the ~0.57 - 0.6 mbps upload speed I used to have. Do you think I can count on it with the package we're now getting...? :?

Before I moved I had speeds like you just reported. But before I switched to the ISP I have now I had ~.5 upload and people said they saw a huge difference when I switched to the ~2.5 up now. I think you will see major improvements with that upload speed. However, I know you tell her you skype with friends and you do need upload speed for that. Maybe you could try telling her that unless you think it'd be suspicious? I dunno.

Reactions: LilyMarie
Once I move I'm upgrading internet since I'll be living with my best friend, and we live on the internet....

Attachments

• fsdfsdfsdf.png
    fsdfsdfsdf.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 222
Status
Not open for further replies.