AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Lighting - tips, tricks, links, etc.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Anybody have any suggestions for a good beginners set? I don't want super low quality but nothing crazy expensive. Also is a gold umbrella beneficial?

... Also is a gold umbrella beneficial?
I can't speak for anyone having used them for camming purposes but as a photographer, I have a couple gold and or gold/silver mix umbrellas and reflectors. I don't use them often (Can't think of a single time in at least a few years) and only use them on very dark ethnic skin tones for a nice, brassy highlight. I don't like the way they make Caucasian skin tones look. I usually prefer to use white or silver light modifiers and then tweak color toning to taste in post.

I can't speak for anyone having used them for camming purposes but as a photographer, I have a couple gold and or gold/silver mix umbrellas and reflectors. I don't use them often (Can't think of a single time in at least a few years) and only use them on very dark ethnic skin tones for a nice, brassy highlight. I don't like the way they make Caucasian skin tones look. I usually prefer to use white or silver light modifiers and then tweak color toning to taste in post.
As a translucent skinned person, I can attest that certain reflectors will make you look very funny and it will be obvious on camera. Shutter has very good advice.

I have a very pale skin tone and use a gold umbrella for one of my lights. I find that it doesn't cause my skin to glow as bad. Do you have a better suggestion so that I don't blind my viewers?

I have a very pale skin tone and use a gold umbrella for one of my lights. I find that it doesn't cause my skin to glow as bad. Do you have a better suggestion so that I don't blind my viewers?
If it isn't causing any issues, why change it. Though for my preferences, white light modifiers are always a winner. If you're happy with your skin tone but seem to be blinding your viewers, try a lower wattage bulb.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Rose
If it isn't causing any issues, why change it. Though for my preferences, white light modifiers are always a winner. If you're happy with your skin tone but seem to be blinding your viewers, try a lower wattage bulb.
I would prefer to use just whites tbh, but even with lower wattage I found the lighting to be too dim. I don't have a ton of space for my setup, I already have a soft box, plus the 30"
Umbrella, plus another light with just a diffuser over it. Any suggestions at all? I'm not really big into photography and we just bought a few different lighting setups and used what seemed to work best. Any input would be appreciated, though I know not much can be said without seeing an example

So your problem is that the lighting is too dim? Then use higher wattage bulbs or move your lights closer to you if possible... Or worse case scenario, adjust your camera settings.

So your problem is that the lighting is too dim? Then use higher wattage bulbs or move your lights closer to you if possible... Or worse case scenario, adjust your camera settings.
This is where the problem comes in because of my pale skin. Lighting too close, I glow. Too high wattage and I glow. Just wasn't sure if there's something to balance it out some how.

This is where the problem comes in because of my pale skin. Lighting too close, I glow. Too high wattage and I glow. Just wasn't sure if there's something to balance it out some how.

I have this exact same problem, I'm sure I could fix things up in post more easily but I haven't had time to devote to learning that much about video editing yet ><

I really want to purchase an umbrella light in addition to getting a better webcam but has anybody found that better lighting make details on your body more noticeable? (as in ingrown hairs, stretch marks, etc).

I really want to purchase an umbrella light in addition to getting a better webcam but has anybody found that better lighting make details on your body more noticeable? (as in ingrown hairs, stretch marks, etc).
For me I've found that it actually smooths it out

Edit to add: I'm also very pale so the bright light always makes me look smooth and porcelain

Last edited:

For really pale or 'ghostly' skin tones, I've had some decent luck warming with theatrical gel filters. Once you find a color that suits you, its worth it. They can be fun to play with as well as you can tint the entire backlighting of the room if you want and have something else [ like a pale peach or rose hue] highlighting you.

This honestly sounds more like a webcam settings issues. I would suggest spending some time with your webcams software and adjusting the settings, without being able to see the problem I'm putting my money on "exposure" setting.

For really pale or 'ghostly' skin tones, I've had some decent luck warming with theatrical gel filters. Once you find a color that suits you, its worth it. They can be fun to play with as well as you can tint the entire backlighting of the room if you want and have something else [ like a pale peach or rose hue] highlighting you.
Which ones do you use?

Which ones do you use?
Depends completely on the setting, the subject and also the effect you are looking for. What i might like [say maybe a dark yellow and a burgundy] on a hot light, might be too much for you and make you look more like a grape. Its something you need to play with. Your light temperature will also affect which gel you use. A pale rose on a dim light might be perfect where the same gel on a hot/bright light would do little. [They are all numbered and the names are just for a mental reference here.] Best thing I could suggest is to get a swatchbook and play around with it in a semi dark room. I used to use a pin spot and a dimmer. Last I looked, the books were less than $5. :)

Indoor lighting will take a lot of adaptation. A set-up may work great in an open room with white walls and shiny light-coloured furnishings but not work at all in a smaller room with wallpaper and dark furniture that reflects little light.

Reactions: SoTxBob
Depends completely on the setting, the subject and also the effect you are looking for. What i might like [say maybe a dark yellow and a burgundy] on a hot light, might be too much for you and make you look more like a grape. Its something you need to play with. Your light temperature will also affect which gel you use. A pale rose on a dim light might be perfect where the same gel on a hot/bright light would do little. [They are all numbered and the names are just for a mental reference here.] Best thing I could suggest is to get a swatchbook and play around with it in a semi dark room. I used to use a pin spot and a dimmer. Last I looked, the books were less than $5. :)
Always wanted to play around with color! Can you recommend any lights that are good, brand of gels, etc?

Always wanted to play around with color! Can you recommend any lights that are good, brand of gels, etc?
Smart lights would be an easier solution.

I've been eyeing those for awhile! Just wasn't sure how many I would need to get a good effect and what the hell to put them in :haha::rolleyes:
I have them and LOVE EM! I have somee in metal clamp lamps. They are just light bulbs so you can put them in any light fixture really, I'll be using them in paper lamps next.
This was lit with only two smart lights, on solid red.
image.jpeg

Theres really only 2 brands of gels that hold color, Lee and Rosco. Lights you use depends on how deep into lighting tech you want to get. You can use inexpensive palm sized LED units from china or larger pro lights costing much more. Basically tho you can gel almost any light with a housing that aims or focuses the light. If you have larger pro LED lights like the 12x12 spectro or bescor, its easy to color the entire room with whatever hue you like. There are plenty of ways to use color with your cam including offsetting your white balance a bit with the cam software. it all depends on the budget and how far into the tech side you want to go.
Alexis Kline [mfc] had an apartment that came with LED smart lighting throughout, ropelight up top and under cabinet, then corresponding bulbs as well. It made a nice effect when the whole loft was the same color. :)

I have a huge window that looks out into the woods, so I love opening the blinds and sitting my camera between me and the window and being illuminated by the natural light. I know most of you probably broadcast at night so natural light from the window may not work for your shows but you might consider it for vids or photo shoots. It is a really soft, flattering look. Thanks for all of your lighting ideas. I'm taking notes!

Anybody have any suggestions for a good beginners set? I don't want super low quality but nothing crazy expensive. Also is a gold umbrella beneficial?

When I bought my lighting stuffs I went to amazon read reviews and bought 2 tall umbrella lights and 1 smaller table light, it came in a set with a carrying case, they broke after about 6 months but they were like $60 and for the time I had them I couldn't cam without it. It helped a lot and wasn't that pricey

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005...2-5366-5198-9907-2ecbe98b1060&pf_rd_i=3347871

Reactions: Cutie_Kisses
These are absolutely amazing by the way, in case I haven't already linked them in this thread somewhere.
YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! with some good CFL bulbs, I have preferred two of these over my umbrellas lately! these will likely be the only lights I use for cam once I get moved into the RV.

• Helpful!
Reactions: THE MOLLIE MARIE
You know me, I toss LEDs in everything. I want to try these lamps with color changing smart bulbs soon.
I use them with my smart lights and they're great!