AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Lighting - tips, tricks, links, etc.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Please please get a paper lamp instead of draping the shirt over it. That is just a fire waiting to happen.
I mean it's not touching the light bulb, and I had it on for ten hours once with no problem. But yeah, if I continue to do this I'll probably buy something more dedicated.

20170526_090126.jpg 20170526_090150.jpg 20170526_090126.jpg 20170526_090150.jpg After a buttload of research on LED lights and CRI rating (I've had some really crappy colored LED) I decided to buy these and they are honestly incredible for real true color. They claim to rate around 91 on CRI but tend to test closer to 93/94..which is really incredible for a cheap end user LED. 15 bucks or so for a box of 4 60w equivalents and 30 bucks or so for 100w equivalents. And they're dimmable.
I also found cheap clip lights at Wal-Mart for 7 bucks a piece and the clips seem stronger than construction lights. I grabbed a 2 dollar white shower curtain to diffuse the light a little and they're vented so they don't seem to get very hot.

Attachments

• 20170526_090155.jpg
    20170526_090155.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • Helpful!
Reactions: LolaLuv
ok I feel super dumb asking this but... I really need to know and I feel like Im doing it wrong lol... so umbrella lights.. is the outer part of the umbrella supposed to face you or the inner part (inner being you can see the bulb, outer being you just see umbrella)? I will also suggest having neutral wall colors and not crazy.. the color of the walls in my avatar photo are usually whats behind me now (I have a cam room/study but Im just more comfy in my living room still until I get the other room all situated, it was a bedroom when I had a roomate but since I booted her out Im re purposing it lol its just very uncomfortable in there right now its usually the coldest part of my apartment I need curtains cause theres a huge window in there facing the street and I live right off main street lol so lots of people out there and theres like zero seating plus the walls are like gross beige and although I dont want a crazy color I dont want gross beige walls either) anyway the crazy color walls in the background of my avatar photo.. they literally switch colors while I cam lol its weird and kinda trippy you can see it in the feed like all of a sudden brighter walls, then darker, then back to brighter.. I freaked the first time I saw it while I was live

@BelleThacher the bulb points to you. But you can adjust it to how you need it. Like I have a small room and I'm also very pale, so having it pointed directly towards me is too much, I point mine mostly to the ceiling.

• Helpful!
Reactions: BelleThacher
@Zana ok I feel alot less dumb now haha thank you! I have been using it with the bulb facing me I just feel like I look super pale so Im gonna have to test and see which angle works for me! thank you so much :h:

check out vids on youtube for making youtube vids...you'll get crazy strong tutorials there

I have been using two desk top lamps, soft light (daylight is too harsh and washes my pale skin out) 60w bulbs. Unfortunately my space is so limited that I can't move them around when I want to change where I cam from ( chair to bed or vice versa). This is how my lighting looks now. I'm already thinking about getting one of those three-bulb floor lamps and placing it directly behind my cam. Any other suggestions though? I know there can always be improvements, such as getting rid of those shadows!

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 63
I'm really pale and I noticed (while filming videos for my sign language class lol) that when I have natural sunlight on me I shine so bright you can't see my features, I just glow and you can kinda see my eyeballs, yet, when I cam at night, I hate the look of yellow light bulb light on me. I went to target and tried to find "Soft white light" bulbs but still, they're yellow. Trying to find a light that illuminates a pale girl well without making me glow and over contrasts me has been difficult =/

I'm really pale and I noticed (while filming videos for my sign language class lol) that when I have natural sunlight on me I shine so bright you can't see my features, I just glow and you can kinda see my eyeballs, yet, when I cam at night, I hate the look of yellow light bulb light on me. I went to target and tried to find "Soft white light" bulbs but still, they're yellow. Trying to find a light that illuminates a pale girl well without making me glow and over contrasts me has been difficult =/
Hi hello, fellow vampire here, I use a soft box (with the light bulb that came with it) and I have no problems. I have a small room so I point mine somewhat upwards. Paper lamps will also help.

Hi hello, fellow vampire here, I use a soft box (with the light bulb that came with it) and I have no problems. I have a small room so I point mine somewhat upwards. Paper lamps will also help.
I'll have to try those out lol, thank you, so far there is a lot of ghetto DIY behind the scenes

My girlfriend gave me 3 different Hue Bulbs to plug into any lamps I have, and they're effective at being bright and interactive. I even use apps to cycle through the colors on gradients or themes, and I've set them to change colors with sound. I like to do a few different "witchy tricks" with my room and the lights and effects. My Hue bulbs have given me a lot of options since I have 3 and can set them up just about anywhere.

Does any vendor sell a webcam lighting kit that includes LED bulbs *and* a diffuser panel or bulb to help diffuse the light? I know there are kits built around CFL bulbs.

Are there any guidelines for how powerful the bulb needs to be, and how large the umbrella or diffuser needs to be, for a given distance from the lighting or for a given amount of coverage area (e.g., lighting your body versus lighting an entire bed or side of a room)?

The other day I used my light set that I bought for camming and OMG! I had NO idea lights could be SO freaking flattering! It REALLY does make a difference! I have the umbrella studio lights 2 tall ones one short one for underneath and I am just amazed at how much better it made my cam experience! I don't know if anyone else noticed, but I sure did! HIGHLY suggest proper lighting!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this! I used this and it helped MILLIONS with the lighting! I still need to get like 2 more big lights lol, but for now, the lighting is pretty decent! This thread is gold lol! I even received compliments from some regulars about the change in lighting!

I just recently got some body paint, plan on I don't know... doing like a black light show I guess? But I need to find some decent black light bulbs. The ones I've seen around so far are low wattage, does anyone know if wattage matters with black lights?

For regular lights, yes as the higher the watt generally the brighter they are. However, if you are referring to CFL's or LED, they will be significantly lower wattage compared to the old filament style. I don't remember the exact relation.

Here's a good page with comparisons between incandescent, CFL and LED bulbs

http://www.viribright.com/lumen-output-comparing-led-vs-cfl-vs-incandescent-wattage/

For regular lights, yes as the higher the watt generally the brighter they are. However, if you are referring to CFL's or LED, they will be significantly lower wattage compared to the old filament style. I don't remember the exact relation.

Here's a good page with comparisons between incandescent, CFL and LED bulbs

http://www.viribright.com/lumen-output-comparing-led-vs-cfl-vs-incandescent-wattage/
This is great info, thanks! We'll be getting ourselves some lighting soon :)

Thank you for posting this thread. It was extremely helpful reading through all comments and recommendations. Lighting is one of the trickiest things for me to get just right for camming, however, when done properly it makes a difference and looks much more professional and appealing.

Reactions: rstanton