AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Models! How fast is your internet?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2014
I'm particularly interested in knowing what the average is. If I decide to cam in the near future, I'll likely need to to upgrade my internet plan -- right now my upload speed is sitting at about 1 mbps -- but I'd like to know what the ideal speed would be. I know everyone says 'the fastest you can afford' but I don't want to dish out for something super high speed that isn't necessarily well..necessary. Basically I'm trying to decide if 2 mbps is good enough or if I should spring for the 5mbps.

So what upload speeds are you guys working from, and do you find that there is no lag or issues with your video quality at the speed you're at? Also, I'll likely end up using Streamate if I decide to be a camgirl.....will my page placement suffer a lot of i have only 2-5 mbps? I'm basically doing a crap ton of research before I jump onto this. :think: thanks so much for any and all input!

Generally speaking with 1mbps the best you'll be able to do is 720p. For 1080p you need minimum 2mbps. That's specs on the Logitech c920. That said, go for the 5mbps if you can afford it right off the bat. If not, keep in mind you can always upgrade with your ISP later when you can afford it. You'll be using your laptop and smartphone for many things so the extra bandwidth doesn't hurt. If you decide to become a camgirl your entire job relies on the internet. Why shackle yourself with inferior tools if you don't have to?

Almost every post I've seen on this forum has said the higher bandwidth the better and the ladies who couldn't get better speeds wish they could.

Reactions: Jillybean
Currently, 3-ish Mbs upload. Two weeks ago it was .8 Mbs and manageable. Two months ago it was 10 Mbs.
I keep my resolution at 640x360 which Streamate says is the lowest it considers HD. My macbook air refuses to stream at a higher resolution without severely distorting my image or dropping my frames per second to a ridiculously low rate.
I hang out between rows 10-15 on the first page. I'd say spring for the 5 Mbs if you can, but definitely the 2 Mbs because you never get the speed they claim. If that was the case I'd be uploading at 5-6 Mbs.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
I have max 1 mbps (normally I sit at about 0.92-0.96) and when I cammed on Streamate I always had top row placement as long as I put the hours in. I know people say that the higher your upload speed, the better your placement, but I don't know if I agree that that's the case. I think it must cap out somewhere- likely around 1, which is all you need. If you have a good processor and a good camera I don't think your placement will suffer. But make sure you stay wired (use an ethernet cable) while you are streaming because it does make a difference sometimes. I really believe that placement on Streamate, as long as you stream with the encoder in HD, use wide screen, and have around .9 up, is more based on the number of hours you work and your earnings.
Maybe you'll decide to upgrade later on, but you should be fine to start camming with 1 mbps without issues. I honestly care more about increasing my upload speed to make video uploads faster than for camming.

• Helpful!
Reactions: AriaZahara
My internet is 150 down/25 up, and I cam from a brand new MacBookPro/Lenovo i7 so pretty darn fast. I really do think it has more to do with earnings, though. I put 20-30 hours in a week on SM when I am camming there, but because I only do privates/exc, and typically fetish-oriented privates, my income isn't as high as Goldshow girls. I haven't cracked the top four rows (typically on row 5-8) but have lived very comfortably in spite of it.

So what Caireen said, as long as you meet the tech specs, you should be fine, BUT you should definitely spring for the best connection you can afford. I think earnings is the biggest factor.

Reactions: SuzySirenXO
I have about 100Mbps down/11Mbps up. I agree that if you can afford the 5Mbps up to go for that. When I started camming about 2.5 years ago I had shitty internet (line of sight) and on a good day I would get around 1-1.5Mbps up, when we moved and got better internet it definitely helped a TON cause now I can stream in true HD and my bitrate and roundtrip time is always good. If I ever have any lag it's on the site end. I also cam from a year old iMac with an i7, which I'm sure also helps a lot.

You can definitely get by with lower speeds, but having higher speeds will definitely be beneficial. Fast internet is one of the most important things aside from a good cam!

I'm supposed to get download speeds up to 50mbps, but I'm currently getting 3.29... :shock:

I would recommend not using Wi-Fi and using an ethernet cord to plug directly into your modem. It'll keep your connection stronger.

jessica2233 said:
I'm supposed to get download speeds up to 50mbps, but I'm currently getting 3.29... :shock:

Jessica, if you're getting only 3mbps while using an ethernet cable, you need to call your ISP immediately. They can either A) fix the problem so you can get the bandwidth you're paying for, or B) refund you for the overcharges and adjust your bill accordingly. Good luck!

Reactions: SexySteph
Speedtest says my upload speed is around 22mbps at the mo. Having a high-speed connection is probably one of the best investments you can make as a model, equally as important as a good cam and lighting. These three things each somewhat depend on the others being of high quality, good lighting is going to make your cam feed look clearer and smoother, and having a high quality cam allows you to stream at a higher fps which is basically what gives you a less jumpy feed. Obviously your upload speed is a huge factor, but all three work together a bit. I would recommend upgrading each as you can afford to, these things pay for themselves very quickly and are tax-deductible!

Of course, having a computer with a powerful enough processor to handle all of this is going to be extremely important as well. I may have a super fast internet connection, but I'm camming from what is practically a potato with wires stuck into it (made in 2007 WHAT'S UP u so old and slow) so it's not exactly making the most of my speeds. :lol: I still manage to hang out on the front page of SM near the top several rows.

I_Am_Iris said:
jessica2233 said:

Jessica, if you're getting only 3mbps while using an ethernet cable, you need to call your ISP immediately. They can either A) fix the problem so you can get the bandwidth you're paying for, or B) refund you for the overcharges and adjust your bill accordingly. Good luck!

No, that was Wi-Fi! Much better when plugged in. :)

My download speed is between 5-25 and upload is never above 10 probably. The people who pay for the internet at my house swear we have the highest internet that comcast offers, but I call bullshit.

I've never had anyone complain about my cam, but my fps on chaturbate never goes above maybe 17 on a good day. But seeing other girls cam at lower speeds makes me feel better :lol:

I usually have 10-12 mbps upload, but it's fine anywhere down to 5. Once it gets below 5 it starts lagging significantly, and anything under 2 makes it goes white-screen. I should add that this is on MFC, I don't remember ever having problems with my speed when I was on Streamate.

My roommate and I are gamers and he actually works in tech. So we have the highest speed already. Just tested and I'm at 165 down/22 up. That's excessive, but as long as my crappy computer is working, it is great lol.

Heeeheeeheee >:)

I get to brag more today? (I was bragging earlier in the models only section)

Yeah check it out. Look at that upload speed. You know you want it, bb.:rofl:

Attachments

• holywow.gif
    holywow.gif
    12 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: TacoBelle
I am so envious of all your lovely numbers! :shy:

My download speed was 5.12 Mbps on a good day. Upload was 0.49 - 0.51 Mbps.

I just upgraded to the absolute very best I can get. Now, my download is 10.32 Mbps, and upload is about 1.4 Mbps.

Yep. I live in a place that is still a few decades behind. Luckily, I have a decent computer dedicated just to camming so it isn't cluttered with anything else and runs efficiently. It may be my saving grace. My internet surely is not.

• Hugs
Reactions: Tilly
My upload speed at home is (unfortunately) 5 mbps on a great day and it's the best internet I can get in my area. I usually stream about 12 fps though, so it works out alright for me regardless. I am super jelly of all the enormous upload speeds though!

This is wireless while streaming The Sopranos and the Evil one playing online through the PS3. Normally on my big PC, with a wired connection it's 80 - 90 down & 20 - 25 up.

RtZgnCq.png

Reactions: ACFFAN69
Status
Not open for further replies.