AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

New to camming.....need some advice

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2017
North Carolina
Hello all, I'm Chaz and I'm getting into the cam scene. I'm just wanting to know some tricks of the trade. If you have any tips please share. Also,follow me and I'll follow back. Trying to network with some pros! Have a great day!

The biggest "tricks of the trade" are:
Good lighting
Hardwire to your modem
Use an external webcam, not a built-in one

Everything else varies so much from model to model that it's hard to say "do this, you'll make money"

1) Read as much as you can on this forum. There's tons of valuable information here. StripperWeb: Camming Connection is another good resource, though they don't have as much info as here on ACF. If you're an active (and respectful!) member of this forum, you can apply to join the Models Only section which has a wealth of info.

2) Watch other models. See what they're doing that works, and take notes. Whenever I join a new site, I always check other models' prices so I can find the right range. If you're on CB, you can see what the average token-per-hour rate is for each app (the numbers in red, yellow, and green when you open the app library).

Good luck!

Reactions: Davd James
Hello all, I'm Chaz and I'm getting into the cam scene. I'm just wanting to know some tricks of the trade. If you have any tips please share. Also,follow me and I'll follow back. Trying to network with some pros! Have a great day!
My tips:
1) Read around the forum, you'll find many answers to your questions.
2) You can't be a model on MFC if you're a male (I saw your other posts). This is stated in their sign up process.
3) Read EVERYTHING when you're signing up for sites, don't waste your time by looking over things like... oh idk... you can't cam on MFC if you have a penis. This can also save you from being locked into a contract and getting fucked over in the future.
4) Don't bug random camgirls on their walls or anywhere else, ask your questions publicly and those who want to help will. It's extremely annoying when someone new starts bugging you personally about advice directly when you don't have time/energy.
5) Asking for follow backs from strangers is generally considered tacky. Just chill, put yourself out there in a professional way, and interact on a real level and people will follow you if they like you.
6) "Pros" tend to only want to network with other "pros." Be professional and you'll find yourself working with professionals eventually.

Last edited:
Advice: Don't use camming as an excuse to hit on female cammers, or make the mistake of thinking that only couple-camming is lucrative. We see that a LOT with new male cammers, and it's likely to start you off on the wrong foot with your female cam-counterparts. We don't like it.

Focus on a solo career. Believe me, you will learn a lot more if you come into the game with a focus on YOUR career as a model, not as a stunt-cock for a female model. Learn how to market. How to interact professionally with your fellow models, but flirtatious with the customers. Learn how to make your own graphics. Learn how to hustle your customers. Learn how to build a social media brand and watch it flourish. Learn how to make videos and take pictures and edit them. Learn your business from the ground up, learn how to thrive as a solo artist before even thinking about trying to do couple's work. Then, you will have something to bring to the table - plus, as a solo model, you get to keep all of the money! Yay!

Seriously, though. Read the forums. Soak up the info. Figure out your brand and your boundaries. Watch your fellow models and learn from them. Don't hit on your female counterparts. Take a deep breath and jump in - experience is the greatest teacher of them all!

I think you really have to focus as a male performer on your target market horny gay men.

I see some guys with 800 people in their rooms and they really understand what their Market is and they keep total attention to that.

Having a lot of people in your room does not necessarily mean you're making a lot more money. Some of my very best nights i have only have a hundred or so guys in the room. A week ago I did nearly 2,000 tokens in about 30mins a lot of guys were tipping but I think I only had 90 guys in the room at the time.

For your private shows make sure you charge decent price I don't do privates for anything less than 10 minutes and I charge 30 tokens a minute I haven't yet tried to charge more but I certainly do intend to.

Chat about yourself in the beginning when you're filling up the room just act like you're talking to people no big deal there's no expectation that you're going to have sex

Pay close attention to what your customers want if you have six grey guys asking to see your ass chances are the purples want to see your fucking ass as well make sure to show it

And have decent camera lighting I've seen models with really horrible camera lighting and most people need to pay attention to the lighting before they go on cam you can angle the cameras in the lighting to highlight your important features.

the more ridges you have on your body from muscle the better it is and the more important it is for the lighting to show that stuff off.

Most importantly make these guys believe that you are approachable enough that they could date you in real life

1) Read as much as you can on this forum. There's tons of valuable information here. StripperWeb: Camming Connection is another good resource, though they don't have as much info as here on ACF. If you're an active (and respectful!) member of this forum, you can apply to join the Models Only section which has a wealth of info.

2) Watch other models. See what they're doing that works, and take notes. Whenever I join a new site, I always check other models' prices so I can find the right range. If you're on CB, you can see what the average token-per-hour rate is for each app (the numbers in red, yellow, and green when you open the app library).

Good luck!

I usually try to find web models who are similar to me and type and appearance but are successful and I watch what they do in their cam shows.

I noticed the most successful guys tend to be really easy going like it's no big deal if you want to drop in and watch them

My tips:
1) Read around the forum, you'll find many answers to your questions.
2) You can't be a model on MFC if you're a male (I saw your other posts). This is stated in their sign up process.
3) Read EVERYTHING when you're signing up for sites, don't waste your time by looking over things like... oh idk... you can't cam on MFC if you have a penis. This can also save you from being locked into a contract and getting fucked over in the future.
4) Don't bug random camgirls on their walls or anywhere else, ask your questions publicly and those who want to help will. It's extremely annoying when someone new starts bugging you personally about advice directly when you don't have time/energy.
5) Asking for follow backs from strangers is generally considered tacky. Just chill, put yourself out there in a professional way, and interact on a real level and people will follow you if they like you.
6) "Pros" tend to only want to network with other "pros." Be professional and you'll find yourself working with professionals eventually.
Appreciate that advice. Thank you.

Reactions: Magnolia
I'm not sure if males can get into the Models Only section

They can. He just has to meet the requirements that amber has but until then there is plenty of info in the public section to help get started.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
ton of great tips here! if the op has more questions or anyone else would like to ask me or any of my guest questions about becoming a model or anything else camming related, i have a podcast on blogtalk radio that i started and it airs ever Friday at 10pm est. i would love more callers and some feedback! if anyone is interested in being a guest feel free to message me!! blogtalkradio.com/princessradio

I think you really have to focus as a male performer on your target market horny gay men.

I see some guys with 800 people in their rooms and they really understand what their Market is and they keep total attention to that.

Having a lot of people in your room does not necessarily mean you're making a lot more money. Some of my very best nights i have only have a hundred or so guys in the room. A week ago I did nearly 2,000 tokens in about 30mins a lot of guys were tipping but I think I only had 90 guys in the room at the time.

For your private shows make sure you charge decent price I don't do privates for anything less than 10 minutes and I charge 30 tokens a minute I haven't yet tried to charge more but I certainly do intend to.

Chat about yourself in the beginning when you're filling up the room just act like you're talking to people no big deal there's no expectation that you're going to have sex

Pay close attention to what your customers want if you have six grey guys asking to see your ass chances are the purples want to see your fucking ass as well make sure to show it

And have decent camera lighting I've seen models with really horrible camera lighting and most people need to pay attention to the lighting before they go on cam you can angle the cameras in the lighting to highlight your important features.

the more ridges you have on your body from muscle the better it is and the more important it is for the lighting to show that stuff off.

Most importantly make these guys believe that you are approachable enough that they could date you in real life
This is actually the most solid advice I've seen on here thus far. Can't find a single flaw in it. Also not to sound like an ass but, realize most people on here are female cammers and female camming works a bit different marketing wise. It's an endurance game though, if you understand your market (what your customers want) things will fall into place for you... Just not overnight. Sounds simple but a lot of people don't fully grasp that part.

Reactions: ThePrincessLuxy
Also a big part of camming that really never gets talked about is making different forms of media WORK for you. It's hard to get your name out there, true, but things like Twitter and Instagram can help with your visibility tremendously. I pretty much gained my following through using Twitter, Snapchat, Twitch... Whatever you can think of. You don't want to put content on social media sites that is better than whatever your main source of income is though... For example Twitter is great to let people know you're getting online but it can hurt you if you're posting tons of nudes on Twitter. Everything should be part of the salad before the steak dinner... That's a terrible analogy but eh, I'm a cam model not a writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.