AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Role playing gaming miniatures.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryBoBerry

V.I.P. AmberLander
Jul 6, 2011
Okay so not exactly a video game. I'm being a rebel.

Last night I found a couple pictures on photobucket and went googling to find where he had bought the set.
DSCN2771.jpg

DSCN2768.jpg

Found several plastic dungeons for sale, also the pdf's designed to be cut out and pasted on poster board or styrofoam. But I couldn't find this exact one. Then I found the thread where the owner posted how he made this over years.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?209985-My-own-little-corner-of-Mordheim
A 56 page forum thread with 1102 posts over 4 years.

Turns out he mostly uses molds from Hirst Arts Fantasy Architecture Inc. He fills up the molds with high grade dental plaster, the stuff used to make teeth molds. That gives him individual pieces. Every tile square, every stone wall block, every door, everything there is individual blocks he molded, painted and glued together. Then as time went on he also made his own molds to do more stuff.
step3.jpg

He posted more pictures than I could count, but here's a few showing both the molds and some premade pieces as well as his own custom made molds. And yes, I went through every post in that thread.
miniature 01.jpg miniature 02.jpg miniature 03.jpg miniature 04.jpg miniature 06.jpg miniature 07.jpg miniature 08.jpg miniature 10.jpg miniature 11.jpg miniature 12.jpg miniature 13.jpg miniature 14.jpg miniature 15.jpg miniature 16.jpg miniature 17.jpg

I certainly wouldn't mind a nice tabletop general discussion thread.

Miniatures is a craft part of gaming that I never really got into, but which I really admire. My brother has a large collection of stuff he's done. He prefers the folded paper sets that you can print out and do yourself. He also has a cool set of cavern walls that he made by ripping and cutting gray foam sheets. I like the idea of using foam core board. If I was going to get into the craft, I think I'd opt for that kind of material, and just paint everything out by hand. It would save me a fortune in inkjet cartridges.

In fact, this reminds me of an idea I'd had to start drawing my own printable miniature sets. I used to doodle mini characters when I was bored at work. I had them set up all at my desk, and I always thought it would be fun to do it on a grander scale, and make whole armies of various kinds of soldiers, monsters, and robots. Now that I'm learning how to draw digitally, I think I'd like to revisit this idea.

That's a seriously impressive model dungeon. We just used cut out bits of cardboard!

I still have my lead figures from playing AD&D 30 (eek!) years ago, which demonstrate little more than my lack of talent with the paintbrush. And all my dice. Always like to see a model on MFC that uses something other than a d6 for a "tip to roll the dice" topic (to the extent that I'm way more likely to tip if she's got a d20 :bookworm:).

That's a seriously impressive model dungeon. We just used cut out bits of cardboard!

I still have my lead figures from playing AD&D 30 (eek!) years ago, which demonstrate little more than my lack of talent with the paintbrush. And all my dice. Always like to see a model on MFC that uses something other than a d6 for a "tip to roll the dice" topic (to the extent that I'm way more likely to tip if she's got a d20 :bookworm:).

There are a few models who do die rolls other dan D6.. Motherbrain comes to mind.

Sadly lately it's hard to find decent miniatures that are not stereotypical, like, say a wizard without beard and pointy hat or a dwarf that is not a warrior

I have now begun drawing printable minis again, much thanks to this thread. It makes for a good drawing warmup to loosen up before I get to work on bigger projects for the day.

Oh, and speaking of paper minis, this popped up on Reddit's /r/RPG today.

I've done the paper cutouts before too. Easy and fun. As a kid I use to do whole castle kits where the patterns were glued to card stock.

Since I started this thread it's gotten me looking at other sites now too. I really like the idea of making your own molds to make more figures. Just buy one you really like and you can copy it as much as you want.

This site has some interesting tutorials on it and using foam to make a lot of stuff.
http://www.stormthecastle.com/miniatures/casting-miniatures-tutorial-index.htm

Not sure i like the level of detail in his molded miniatures, but i think he didn't start out with too fine of ones to begin with. Still is interesting to think about.

Miniatures is a craft part of gaming that I never really got into, but which I really admire.

I tend to admire it too. It really takes patience and skill to make some of them out there I've seen. I kind of equate it to yoga or zen meditation for the level of stress relief involved with doing that much of a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.