AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Social media security/privacy question?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2016
Hey guys so I've been thinking about what social media outlets to use for my caming and it seems like twitter and snapchat would be a lot of fun.

However, I've heard about how on certain social media accounts, you can pop up as 'friends you may know' to people you know in your personal life.

I was wondering if this is a problem with all social media or not? I've heard that Instagram and facebook does this but I haven't heard about twitter or snapchat doing it? How can I make sure that my camming profile doesn't pop up on any of my personal life stuff?

Also, I'm sorry if this topic has already been spoken about. If theres a thread that already addresses this I'd appreciate it if it was linked. :)

No guarantee. Honestly, I should know a little bit more about those kind of algos. I imagine there's some IP-based and possibly cookie-based things happening in there. I speculate this, because even when I switch between different accounts, FB (and I believe Twitter too) will often suggest people / pages in my area or people / pages that I follow or are friends with.

A VPN might help with some of the IP-based signals?

A little lavish, but having a separate camming pc/laptop could help with anything cookie-based?

Also, needless to say, don't specify your real location on those accounts. Or real schooling, ect. Anything that could be used to build the demographics / psychographics needed to match you with people you know.

All just suggestions. Honestly don't know the suggestion algos as well as I should.

You could always make accounts like Twitter private. Be sure to not include any personal info outside of camming in your settings such as email/phone numbers etc. Generally those are the things which point people in your personal life towards your social sites.

Do not connect your private phone number to your social media accounts. Sign up via the website rather than through the app. When it comes to posting photos, either blur your face or crop it out of the picture so no one recognizes you. It's very easy to keep your camming social media life and personal social media life separate.

Twitter WILL link contacts if you give it your phone number. I think one IRL person found out about me because of this.

Same with Facebook, ex: if a member wins your phone # in a raffle and has their phone contacts synced with their FB friends, and your phone # is attached to your FB, you WILL show up under their "people you may know." This example happened to a member I chat with.

Snapchat- no, unless you want it to. I use the same snap for work & friends. My snap name is totally random and I don't post to my story so it doesn't really matter.

Twitter WILL link contacts if you give it your phone number. I think one IRL person found out about me because of this.

Same with Facebook, ex: if a member wins your phone # in a raffle and has their phone contacts synced with their FB friends, and your phone # is attached to your FB, you WILL show up under their "people you may know." This example happened to a member I chat with.

Snapchat- no, unless you want it to. I use the same snap for work & friends. My snap name is totally random and I don't post to my story so it doesn't really matter.
Thank you! That helps a lot.

if a member wins your phone # in a raffle

I just wanted to point out something about this: NEVER NEVER NEVER give a member your real phone number. If you want to do texting, use a text app (like Kik) or use a fake-number app (like Nextplus) that gives you a completely new number and won't overlap with your real life at all.

A quick Google search of a phone number will easily tell you the city/state where the phone is from, but also sometimes can give out more info if you've ever posted your number online. Using your real number is SO easy for creepers (or even regular members who are just curious) to find way more information than you want them to.

I just wanted to point out something about this: NEVER NEVER NEVER give a member your real phone number. If you want to do texting, use a text app (like Kik) or use a fake-number app (like Nextplus) that gives you a completely new number and won't overlap with your real life at all.

A quick Google search of a phone number will easily tell you the city/state where the phone is from, but also sometimes can give out more info if you've ever posted your number online. Using your real number is SO easy for creepers (or even regular members who are just curious) to find way more information than you want them to.

Just two other easy options. Of course google voice number for use in hangouts. But also a cheap prepaid tracfone or one from another company. There's NOTHING saying you have to use your own area code when you are setting it up. Look up the area code for a city far away and tell it to give you a number for that area.

Mine is in Seattle and it's never made a bit of difference.

With google voice it's very easy to just send any number straight to voice mail or the trash so you never hear it ring from that number again. And a cheap little flip phone from tracfone literally costs $10 to buy new ones now. So tossing it away and buying an all new one later is not much of a problem.

• Helpful!
Reactions: AudDust
Why do you want to use social media? What is your goal?

I ask because if your goal is to have fun, by all means jump into it and make sure you heed the advice above to protect yourself. But if you expect something, *anything* out of it other than having fun, do reconsider.

Social media is not necessary and contrary to popular belief in most cases wont help you attract new tippers or sell content or even bring more viewers to your shows. So many girls get into doing all that work expecting the moon and the stars and most of them never realize it isnt even working (they have nothing to compare to)

I do not use social media at all. There is no way to contact me when I am off cam. And it is incredibly refreshing because it means that my off-time truly is off-time. When you go knee deep in social media you can never disconnect and the demands for attention can become overwhelming, especially if you are a little bit obsessive, own a smartphone, or are not very good at setting boundaries.

My advice to baby camgirls is dont jump into anything you dont absolutely have to do. Stay away from social media because it will give you the illusion that you are working and being productive when you arent, will distract you from camtime, and give people content and attention for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.