AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

The Hobbit

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay!! Ever since the first animated edition I've been dying to know when this would finally come out. :D I still think they should have filmed The Hobbit first and then the rest of the movies, regardless of how the books came out. I can't really complain though because I'm excited about it anyways.

sxycherrypie said:
Is it that obvious? lol. No I am not familiar with it all. Care to fill me in love?
The Hobbit is the prequel novel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, set like 50 years earlier I think, and mostly to do with frodo's uncle bilbo (who is old in the LOTR films) going on an adventure, running into gollum, detailing how he got hold of the ring in the first place etc.

Reactions: Rose
Jupiter551 said:
sxycherrypie said:
Is it that obvious? lol. No I am not familiar with it all. Care to fill me in love?
The Hobbit is the prequel novel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, set like 50 years earlier I think, and mostly to do with frodo's uncle bilbo (who is old in the LOTR films) going on an adventure, running into gollum, detailing how he got hold of the ring in the first place etc.
I want to see this so god damn bad right now!!!

Jupiter551 said:
sxycherrypie said:
This was my favorite of the set because for whatever reason, I really liked Bilbo. :) It was interesting to find out how the story began. The first time I read the book I was too young and it went so far over my head. Then my dad decided to read it to my siblings and I everytime he was home from deployment. His translation from orks to real guns was so cool! Lol. I can't wait for it to come to theaters! My family is planning on going to see it together if my brother is home from basic.

Upon finding out he wrote The Hobbit for his kids, that sorta cleared up why its great and the LoTR books kinda sucked. And yes I know Tolkien wrote LoTRs while fighting in WW2 and it REALLY shows in places. Peter Jackson did such an amazing job bringing those books to life that I have no doubt The Hobbit will follow suit. I just finished reading the Hobbit for the second time, I think, yesterday lol

I thought he wrote them all for his kids. Honestly all of the Tolkein books could have done without the songs every two pages - the films could have more accurately been musicals.

Hey Tom Bombadil cmere a sec... :violence-axechase: :violence-bowandarrow:

My favorite thing about the books is that Tolkien wrote them because he wanted to create a new language. It wasn't merely for kids, there were a number of reasons for his writing. I've read that part of it was that he felt his nation had no real mythology, so he wanted to write one for them.

lordmagellan said:
My favorite thing about the books is that Tolkien wrote them because he wanted to create a new language. It wasn't merely for kids, there were a number of reasons for his writing. I've read that part of it was that he felt his nation had no real mythology, so he wanted to write one for them.
England had no mythology? :think:
Virtually everything in his books is ...*ahem* "appropriated" from European folklore. Have a look at the Icelandic Volsung Saga (Völsungasaga) about Sigurd the slaying the dragon Fafnir. His work also bears striking similarities to Wagner's operatic reworking of Volsung - everything from dwarves to a magic ring created by the villian with the power to rule the world.

Tolkien actually wrote a prose version of Volsung called "The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún" which was released after his death.

But anyway; the saxons, angles, jutes, picts and celts had rich mythology. Anglo-Saxons had originally Germanic and Scandinavian mythology (see Beowulf - set in Scandinavia, but written in Old English). The Celts had their own mythology that was pretty distinct.

Jupiter551 said:
lordmagellan said:
England had no mythology? :think:
Virtually everything in his books is ...*ahem* "appropriated" from European folklore. Have a look at the Icelandic Volsung Saga (Völsungasaga) about Sigurd the slaying the dragon Fafnir. His work also bears striking similarities to Wagner's operatic reworking of Volsung - everything from dwarves to a magic ring created by the villian with the power to rule the world.

Tolkien actually wrote a prose version of Volsung called "The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún" which was released after his death.

But anyway; the saxons, angles, jutes, picts and celts had rich mythology. Anglo-Saxons had originally Germanic and Scandinavian mythology (see Beowulf - set in Scandinavia, but written in Old English). The Celts had their own mythology that was pretty distinct.
I believe it was "no mythology of their own." And I questioned the assertion just as you did; still do. And yes, I know he borrowed heavily from everything- most any artist/writer does. I just found the idea fascinating as a lover of myths and legends.

I'll be tempted to do the midnight showing deal for this. I can't wait! But omg, we still have a year to go.

Reactions: NancyNoNude2012
I am a bit worried since I learned it was being split into two movies. The Hobbit is not a long book, and they will need to do a lot of padding to get two movies that both feel complete.

Its not a long book but there is a lot of ground/info to get in there. It looks to me like this movie will end as they come out of The Misty Mountain, there is a ton of stuff before that and LOTS after. I hope they can get it all in with just 2 movies.

lordmagellan said:
I believe it was "no mythology of their own." And I questioned the assertion just as you did; still do. And yes, I know he borrowed heavily from everything- most any artist/writer does. I just found the idea fascinating as a lover of myths and legends.
Yeah I think it's a really odd statement, if he's talking about Anglo-Saxons they do, Britons (celtic people before the saxons ie Welsh) they do too. Wierd.

And yeah most artists do, but it amuses me particularly in this case because every fantasy novel, rpg, etc is accused of stealing from LoTR when in reality they're just plundering the same folklore tradition of Europe.

Jupiter551 said:
sxycherrypie said:

Actually LOTR were sequel novels since the Hobbit came out like 17 years earlier :) but yeah to be a prequel it would have to have been written after LOTR :-D

RainbowBryte said:
Jupiter551 said:
sxycherrypie said:

Actually LOTR were sequel novels since the Hobbit came out like 17 years earlier :) but yeah to be a prequel it would have to have been written after LOTR :-D
Ohhh I thought it was a prequel. Hmm, good to know. :D I may have to go reread the novels now.

sxycherrypie said:
I could not get through 2 pages of the book at all. It was very boring to me,but the movie looks a bit interesting though. Can't wait to watch it!

Read the book in 4th grade :) Never read the LOTR trilogy though, but im soooooo excited for this movie, had a fucking nerdgasm last night when I saw the trailer, when they started singing I got chills :geek:

Think im going to reread the hobbit though, Also you guys know they are splitting the movie into two parts right?? So one part comes out dec 2012 and the second in like 2013 or 2014

Reactions: sxycherrypie
blackxrose said:
RainbowBryte said:
Jupiter551 said:
sxycherrypie said:

Ohhh I thought it was a prequel. Hmm, good to know. :D I may have to go reread the novels now.

yeah hobbit was written first, it takes place before LOTR but woulldnt be considered a prequel since prequels are written last, but as a movie it was released like a prequel, he wrote the hobbit for children and LOTR was more adult oriented, just looked it up hobbit came out 1939 and Fellowship came out in 1954 :)

Reactions: Rose
RainbowBryte said:
Jupiter551 said:
sxycherrypie said:

It's still a prequel in the sense that LOTR is the main course, The Hobbit is a very much optional entree. I realise it was published first, but much of its relevance is derived from its being an addition to the "main" trilogy.

Besides, the film IS a prequel, in every sense - and to explain the novel to someone who doesn't know if it, it's FAR simpler just to call it a prequel. Prequel is a recently made-up word anyway if you want to get technical about meanings - it just seems like splitting hairs.

RainbowBryte said:
sxycherrypie said:
I could not get through 2 pages of the book at all. It was very boring to me,but the movie looks a bit interesting though. Can't wait to watch it!

Read the book in 4th grade :) Never read the LOTR trilogy though, but im soooooo excited for this movie, had a fucking nerdgasm last night when I saw the trailer, when they started singing I got chills :geek:

Think im going to reread the hobbit though, Also you guys know they are splitting the movie into two parts right?? So one part comes out dec 2012 and the second in like 2013 or 2014
Hope the end of the world doesn't start till after we see this movie! lol

Jupiter551 said:
RainbowBryte said:
Jupiter551 said:
sxycherrypie said:

It's still a prequel in the sense that LOTR is the main course, The Hobbit is a very much optional entree. I realise it was published first, but much of its relevance is derived from its being an addition to the "main" trilogy.

Besides, the film IS a prequel, in every sense - and to explain the novel to someone who doesn't know if it, it's FAR simpler just to call it a prequel. Prequel is a recently made-up word anyway if you want to get technical about meanings - it just seems like splitting hairs.

I normally just tell people its the book before the trilogy, lol. Doesn't matter though all that matters is it will be epic :)

RainbowBryte said:
I normally just tell people its the book before the trilogy, lol. Doesn't matter though all that matters is it will be epic :)
Indeed :mrgreen:

The Hobbit has to be one of my favorite books. :geek: I'm super excited for the movie(s)!
I'm not sure how I feel about Benedict Cumberbatch being cast as the voice of Smaug.

adorkabelle said:
The Hobbit has to be one of my favorite books. :geek: I'm super excited for the movie(s)!
I'm not sure how I feel about Benedict Cumberbatch being cast as the voice of Smaug.

Yeah, it seems like an odd casting choice to me. A bit like they decided they wanted him, but couldn't figure out what role to give him.

I'm really looking forward to the movies, though. I'm so glad Peter Jackson ended up doing it … I was worried for a while when it looked like someone else would.

Status
Not open for further replies.