AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Thoughts on a Cam Site

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NaomiRose

Cam Model
Mar 3, 2010
Canada
www.naomirose69.tumblr.com
Tumblr Username
naomirose69
Streamate Username
NaomiRose69
Be forewarned! I tried to be brief, but that just isn’t in my nature. I’d like to hear all your thoughts and opinions though, so please give it an honest read. :)

-------

I will create and run my own camsite in the future. It won't be for another year or two, because my boyfriend and I both need to get the proper training and money saved up to embark on such an adventure.
We both have the intelligence and dedication to make a cam site work. I realize I will have to invest money to start it – but my largest investment will be time, and I have no problem with that because I see it as a worthy cause. Even if it does fail, the financial investment will be nowhere near the hundreds of thousands of dollars usually required to start up most other businesses.

I have many ideas already and I fully and completely plan to run the site from a model's perspective and make it all about the models and members. As Tahnee pointed out, the main thing you need for a cam site to run is traffic, and in order to get traffic you need models, but in order to get models you need traffic.

Let’s be honest –virtually no one has any loyalty to MFC. We don’t because their customer service is terrible, they have constant technical issues, they do not enforce any of their “rules”, they do not conduct themselves in a professional manner and it is very obvious they care mostly (or even only) about profit. We are all there because they have a site that is set up reasonably well (although to say it's run well would be a stretch) and because of the models and the community feel. The models are only there because the site is set up reasonably well, and they pay out a minimum of 50% (while most other cam sites are 25-35% payouts). The models are also there because of the high traffic rate – but the high traffic rate is due to the reasons I already mentioned and advertising.

So, if I can offer a site that is set up better, run better, has excellent customer service, enforces rules, pays the models more, charge the members less (for shows) and all staff would act as professionals, I see no reason why anyone wouldn't go there. Furthermore, I plan to have enough money saved so that I can give a large amount of members a significant number of credits when they sign up initially. The models will still get paid as normal, but these credits will be free for the first large amount of members. (I know “large amount” is an abstract concept, but I won’t know the number until closer to launch.)

Furthermore, I have been a cam model for almost a year and will continue to be a cam model while I am creating this site and dreaming up the ideas - so I have insight into what will make the models the happiest. Happy models equal happy members. In addition, I am also a customer on MFC. I love to look at the ladies and I enjoy spending money there when I can. So, I know what it's like to be a customer as well. I am also constantly observing and listening to all of you here and I believe I have a pretty firm grasp on how all of you feel.

I plan to make private shows cheaper for members, but give models a bigger cut of the money so they make more than they currently make for private shows on MFC. To give you an idea, I would like to pay out the models a minimum of 70% of the income, rather than 50%. Example: charge the members $5/min for a private show but pay the models $3.50/min. The members pay less and the models get more –as compared to MFC. I believe that the site owners should definitely be taking money, since they have bills to pay and are definitely providing a service - but these sites would be nothing without the models. The models should certainly be making much more that fifty percent consistently. Not to mention, the site makes the percentage off of EVERY model, so they still make a large amount of money, even if they take a lower percentage.

My ideas are still in the development and research stage, and to be totally honest with you, I am not sure of the actual costs of running servers, so in the end I might not be able to only take 30% from the models. But I truly believe I can take less than 50% consistently and still make private shows cheaper for the members, while making sure the models are paid more than they currently make on MFC. I will always do everything in my power to give the models the most I can. I know MFC claims this, but we can all tell by the attitude they have, it is not the truth.

Has anyone even bothered to estimate the amount of money the owners of MFC make a month? It’s in the order of millions. If you don’t believe me, do some math yourself, or if you want I can post how I do my estimation. Like I admitted already, I am not sure the actual cost of running these servers, but most certainly making millions a month should allow them to run as many servers as they require in order to make the site run smoothly (which it doesn’t even) and still give the models a larger cut.

*Ehem*

Look at World of Warcraft. They only make $15/month per user... I am sure the average premium user on MFC spends much more than that... That would at least begin to make up for the difference in paying members on MFC to paying members on WoW (we all know there aren’t as many paying members on MFC as there are paying members on WoW). Also, I can’t be certain but I would hazard a guess that running live video stream doesn’t require as much bandwidth as running a MMORPG as big as WoW. This is just a very rough point that I can’t quite back up, as I cannot find an accurate estimate for the number of premium members on MFC nor the average money they spend. However, based on what we all know of MFC, I don’t think my point is completely farfetched.

I will not lie to you and say that the amount of money I can make from running a cam site is not a factor in why I want to do it - it most certainly is. However, one of the other main reasons I want to do it is that I believe these cam sites should be all about the models! Every cam site I have seen is run by people who clearly care the most about turning a profit and don't even bother to really care about the models or members. The members are giving their money to the models – not the site! So they would love to know more of their dollar is going to the models’ bank account. Also, many of these girls don’t even seem to care that they are treated like dirt and only make 25% of the profits. MFC is on the right track by paying them more and having a community feel – but I think we can all agree it could be leaps and bounds better. I can promise all of you right now, that when I do have my site up and running, it will ALWAYS be about the members and models. I will always conduct all of my business in a professional manner and provide the best customer service I can. This is how it SHOULD be.

I love the camsites and firmly believe they are a wonderful idea. I love the community feel of MFC and the fact that members love to hang out with the girls – even if it isn’t always sexual. Although, we all know that sex is still one of the main reasons people go to camsites – and that’s okay! That’s awesome, in fact. What more fun is to be had, other than sex? Cam sites provide a safe and legal environment for all of us to make friends and act on our sexual needs and urges. There is nothing wrong with this. Cam sites also provide women with a way to make great money, while setting their own schedules and all from the comfort of their own home. I also believe it helps the confidence and sex lives of all these women (which all of their partners appreciate also). I know it has certainly benefitted my life in this way.

I could continue to go on with many more of my ideas and reasons why I want to do this, but I’ll just stop here for now.

I didn’t want to share this idea initially because I was afraid of someone stealing my idea – but this idea is obviously on many of our minds and I thought I should just let you know that I plan to do this. I also would love to work with any or all of you. I’ve had this plan since I first started camming. Call me ambitious. I was also afraid someone else around here may have already been planning this and I don’t want to step on the toes of people I respect. I would fully support any one of you also pursuing this same idea. Perhaps we can even work together. I don’t want to fight with anyone here, nor take away from anyone if this was what they planned as well. We can all support each other and hopefully lead the way to a future with even better cam sites.

It will still be a year or two of hard work before I have this site up and running, but I have no doubt that I will have it up and running. Truth be told, whether it lasts or not fully and completely depends on whether or not I can get the models and the members. So, if anyone stands behind me and my idea and wants to continue to hear more, I will make sure to keep you all posted and you better believe I will be picking the brains of all those willing to let me do so.

sign me up :0

If I am still a model at that point, I would be glad to be a model at a site run by a former or current model.

If I do go into programming (as has been toyed with in the back of my mind ever since the intro to java class back in 2004...), I would be happy to help you with that aspect.

I definitely agree with you that the owners and administrators of the site deserve to make a profit off of it. Enough to pay their bills, have a little fun, and give treats to the models and members on occasion. After all- administrating a website is a full-time-job in and of itself. Something on the scale of mfc would take about 10 admin working round the clock if they wanted to actually enforce the rules. I realize you won't be at quite that scale at that point, but perhaps.

Curious about a couple things: were you planning on having the models run a separate program that uploads the webcam into the site the way mfc does? Or were you planning on having the models log in through the site to run the webcam?

If the latter, I think something along the lines of irc with camera added in would work best. That would allow for pm's and such.

One of the big reasons I like mfc the best is because of the platform we use to broadcast from. I love that program. Truthfully.

Usually, you can find programs that will pull the source-code from a program so you can make something similar. However, the one source code I saw for that, all the names were changed to a, b, c... aa, ab.... and so on. It was the most confusing thing I had ever seen in my life, for trying to figure out what connected to where and was used for what. Also, it doesn't normally include the comments and such. That was with a java program though. Not sure what a program from a different platform would look like getting the code backwards like that.

Enough of my random ideas for now. I wish you luck with this project.

Just don't forget to incorporate- that way if it does go under, it will limit your liability.

I've had the same idea a few times too. Good luck- and I'm sure I would love to work with you :)

This is mostly a cross-post but I think it is relevant so please forgive me.

These are thoughts about the server end, I don't know much or can't say much about the client end.

Major tech geek alert:

On the subject of starting your own, I think what you'd need to do is come up with something that scales based on demand. Have you ever heard of a site called Animoto ? http://animoto.com/ They take images and make animations out of them. When they first came out, they were hosted by Amazon Web Services http://aws.amazon.com/. Amazon has a utility-based pricing scheme, you pay for just what you use, and you don't have to have any physical servers because you are running virtual servers. But what if you need a lot of machines, and you need it to grow as your demand grows? For this they had this autoscaling technology from a company called RightScale http://www.rightscale.com/. When they launched, they had 40 servers set up and ready. When the service went viral, at one point they had scaled up to 4000 servers, and no one noticed anything as far as performance or downtime. By the way, Amazon now (or will have soon) their own scaling technology.

I would suspect that MFC uses Amazon , and hopefully some sort of scaling technology. But if you were interested in setting up your own cam site, that's where you'd want to start. While it may sound expensive, the cost of doing business this way is fairly cheap since you don't have to maintain a server facility and the autoscaling keeps you only paying for what you use.

I just so happen to know quite a bit about Amazon Web Services.

I wish you the best. I have been thinking about a similar post ever since my reply to Geekstick's 'My letter to MFC thread." I cannot begin to fathom the magnitude of getting a site off the ground, let alone having the patience to sit'n wait for it to become a success. Besides the obvious pitfalls have you considered;
If a site operates 24/7, then you need 24/7 techies keeping things running smoothly. Do YOU plan on doing it all yourself? If not, you'll have to pay somebody!

You can't just STEAL MFCs program (I don't think)! You would have to start from scratch with a totally new and unproven system. Could you do this yourself? If not you would have to pay for it!

Your big freebie bonus to join sounds good on paper but consider a worst case scenerio..... You give every new acct 200 free tokens (a $20 value for shits'n giggles) of which you propose models get 70% of. You get 1000 new members who all spend their free money and don't buy anymore! Thas a check for $14,000 you have to pay the models and you haven't made a single penny yet! DO NOT BE SUPRISED IF 80% OR MORE OF YOUR NEWBIES DON'T SPEND ANOTHER PENNY ON THE SITE! Look at how many Twon-and done's (spend $20 to become prem and never buy anymore tokens)there are on MFC! This is a hidden reason why so many upstart cam sites fail!

Business and Friendship. The rule of thumb is these shouldn't be mixed. Could YOU treat ALL of the models equally, or would you have a bias? It would be hard to disipline a friend model and way too easy to lay the smackdown on some random czech republic girl breaking the rules. One of the biggest complaints of models on MFC is UNEQUAL treatment! Having all these ambercutie forum models on board, again, sounds good on paper but probably wouldn't go off without a hitch. YOu might lose friends and you might make enemies on both sides of the isle.

I am totally sorry if I sound like a doomsayer. I try to be a realist. I will post later as to features and suggestions I would like to see on a brand new camsite. I'm not one of those guys that can only critique and not give positive feedback as well :-D

Wow, I guess the camgirl revolution is on. Awesome, Naomi.

My only issue would be with the percentages. Unless you're still a camgirl while being in charge of the site, I don't see how it would be profitable with a 70% payout. Yes, it would be great if you could do that. But I think if you can pull out a profit with 50-60% given to the models, that would make everyone very happy.

I do also have 2 questions for Naomi:

1- In your ideal cam site, how many models would you want to have? Would you have so many that there's 500-600 models on at all times (like MFC) or would you prefer a smaller number like say, 50-100 models on at all times?

2- Outside of payouts and model count, what would you do differently than MFC? This is probably something that everyone could chime in on.

Just wanted to post a quick reply and thank you all for your replies and info! When I have time tomorrow morning I will go through all posts and respond to each and every question/comment/concern.

I really appreciate everything you guys have posted! Expect detailed replies tomorrow morning when my brain is not so tired. :p

As promised, some features I think should go into a new cam site.

Models having more control over how much their shows cost. Models having a hard time can charge less if they really must, and models that are swampped constantly with pvt requests can charge more if they choose. Or even on a customer by customer basis a model can negotiate a price per min.

Minimum show option. Each show "can" have an upfront cost for the first 5 mins, then tick at the per minute rate once the 5 mins are up. example: 250 tokens for 5 mins, then after 5 mins 50 tokens/min. I know models get tired of 30 second pvts. They could enable the pre pay to know that they are getting atleast 250 tokens reguardless.

2 stage show initiation. EVERYTIME someone requests a show it will automatically open a pm window and notify the model. You discuss the terms and then both perv and model must click start show again before it starts. I hope this doesn't seem to streetwhorish.

Pay to pimp billboard. Members and models could both pay to post on an upcoming events like forum. the message would remain up for a predetermined amount of time based on how much tokens were spent. Models would be able to have 1 free posting per day. You could announce when you are getting offline, when you are coming on next, show announcement. Example: "10 min. whipped cream group show starting at 10PM in Ambercuties room. 500tokens to join" The message would ideally remain up until 10pm. This could resultin a little extra cash for the site itself.

Annual meet and greet! A guy can dream can't he?

I dunno if I'd join until I knew that the system, rules, and model/member help were something I'd approve of. A strict system with harsh results or favorites can be just as bad if not worse than a lax system that ignores everything.

But I'd surely look into it.

Also, I don't think we'd need to charge more a minute for privates, but I agree that a system of pre-payment to allow the model to at least get more than thirty seconds of fun time. If you don't care about the girl - fuck you. Granted I'm sure a model should care about you as well, but you know, things usually don't have issues too much in that point.

Rule wise, I'd not want to be prevented from doing kinky things while still not have to worry about free shows going on. Things like that.

I've mentioned this before, but a public chat option to boot all non prems out for a "tip show"
Have them limited by time allowed, and frequency so as to not have half the server jump over to the "free" show
Even lock it so anyone who wasn't in chat when it started can't get in (ie you didn't get the show started, you aren't going to watch)

Just an idea.

I'll ask my programmer co-workers what they think would go into making a site, cost wise and how much to maintain it.

As before, good luck!

First of all, thank you models/ladies for your support! :) Cassidy Nicole, Jennie Bunny, KinkyArtGirl, LadyLuna, Faerie, Indigoxox, and ZoeyMore. It means a lot!

Pyrite –

Thanks for the wellwishes.

Also thank you so much for your idea about public shows! I think I read your idea posted elsewhere before, and I thought it was a great one. It is an awesome idea. I believe that I will have a system like this in place and I will most likely make it so only premium members who were in the model’s room before the show would be allowed to watch. Everyone else would be locked out. Perhaps I would have a way to track who tipped for the show, to make sure they get a PM before it starts (in case they since left). Something like that. Either that or the model can just make sure to let her regulars or tippers know when this show is about to start before she locks her room out so no one else can join.

Exact details are fuzzy at this point. But it’s an idea I will use! I think it’s excellent.

Also please do ask your programmer co-workers what they think would go into making a site, cost wise and how much to maintain it. I would appreciate you sharing any and all of this information if you wish! It’s very helpful to me.

Thank you so much!

LadyLuna -

I appreciate your offer of help! I will most certainly consider taking you up on that if/when you decide to go into programming. Let me know.

LadyLuna said:
were you planning on having the models run a separate program that uploads the webcam into the site the way mfc does? Or were you planning on having the models log in through the site to run the webcam?

I most certainly am planning on having the models run a separate program that uploads the webcam into the site the way MFC does. Like you, I truthfully love this program and prefer this method to having the models log in through the site. It is one of the reasons I prefer camming on MFC versus other sites. I completely plan to develop (with help) our own software program for the models to use.
I'll try having a look at the source code and see what comes up, but I am not planning to steal any ideas from MFC. I plan to create my own software program. Of course, it will be similar, mainly because it will be a program for cam models - but it won't even look similar and will have different functions and options.

Thanks for the good luck and please do continue to give me your random ideas!

ZoeyMore -

Good point on the incorporation. I fully intend to incorporate. It costs more but it's definitely worth it. Thanks for the pointer. =D

tightlockup -

Thanks for the info! I most certainly was not aware of those sites and I think that is a great idea.

As mentioned, my project is still mainly in the research stage, so I still have a lot to learn and I really appreciate you mentioning this. I will definitely keep that in mind. It sounds like a good way to go for reasons you pointed out (you only pay for what you use and you don't have to maintain a server facility).

Since you happen to know so much about Amazon Web Services, I think I'll have to pick your brain some more about that. I would appreciate any more information you have for me on it right now, and I'll let you know when I have some questions. Feel free to post more here or PM me. Thanks again.

Freq -

Freq said:
If a site operates 24/7, then you need 24/7 techies keeping things running smoothly. Do YOU plan on doing it all yourself? If not, you'll have to pay somebody!

I have definitely considered this already and I will definitely be having techies to keep things running smoothly. It's a site on the internet, so my audience is pretty much the entire world and I don't need to physically interact with all of my staff. There will be members on at all times of the day. If my site is cam site they love (which I aim to make it) there will be plenty of regular members online all the time. I plan to offer these members payment in order to help me moderate/keep things running. How many of you regulars would like to get paid to do what you already enjoy doing?

I think what I would do is probably develop another software program for these techies, so I can keep track of what they are doing. (I can't have them doing privates and only hanging out with the model they are friends with.) I don't have exact details worked out, but I would need a system in place to make sure my moderators and techies were doing their job. I would only want to hire people I trust, so my worries would be lessened. However, having a system in place that monitors what they are doing (and keeps track of how many hours they are working) would definitely be required. I figure it will be worth it to pay them an hourly wage, and I was thinking of even offering them an option to be paid in credits or partially in credits for the site - or perhaps just get credits as a bonus. After all, if they are moderating such a site, it's obviously because they enjoy spending time there. If I do pay them in credits, obviously they would get more than the flat hourly wage, because part of the money from credits would obviously be going back to me.

Again, just some budding ideas in the works.

Freq said:
You can't just STEAL MFCs program (I don't think)! You would have to start from scratch with a totally new and unproven system. Could you do this yourself? If not you would have to pay for it!

Of course I can't just steal MFC's program. I would never do such a thing nor condone this sort of action. I will most certainly start from scratch with a totally new system. As of yet, I can't do this myself - but I'm quite capable of learning. Furthermore, I can most certainly save up the money to pay someone else if need be.

As for your comments about my big freebie bonus being good on paper, but not in actual practice - I would fully and completely plan to lose that $14,000 (or whatever I plan it to be). The idea of course is that hopefully many members that do get the free credits and use them would like my site enough to purchase more. I would initially advertise these free credits to guys like you, who are obviously members who continue to pay. I would advertise elsewhere as well, but I would make sure to certainly advertise these free credits to members whom I know purchase credits on a regular basis. I am a cam girl myself and have enough networking avenues to easily find hundreds of members to join my site that I know spend money on cam sites. Furthermore, I hope to have models from MFC and elsewhere that already have a fan following - so their fans are most certainly going to want to spend money on them.

I can't just start up a cam site and expect people to start paying right away when they can't even get a sample of the service. And like I already mentioned, I would save up the money for these free credits and plan to lose it. Obviously, the whole point is I should make it back eventually, but I'm going to save up money specifically to do this.

There will always be members that spend $20 and never spend again. That I cannot change. But I can strive to make the best site possible (with the best models) so people will want to spend their money on it.

As for business and friendship and your rule of thumb for not mixing - this is an idea that seems good on paper but is not practical. I am a friendly person and I fully and completely plan to be on friendly terms with all the people I can - models, members, and staff. I know that I have model friends here - but I have no problem disciplining a friend. I am non-judgmental and would not be harder on models I don't know.

You don't know me very well, so I understand your concern on business/friendship matters. However, I have essentially no worries here because I am a mediator by nature and I am also a leader. I've been in authority positions before and have never had a problem with disciplining anyone who required the discipline. I work very hard to be unattached, nonjudgmental and unbiased while still being compassionate and understanding. I value all of those qualities very highly.

Freq said:
Having all these ambercutie forum models on board, again, sounds good on paper but probably wouldn't go off without a hitch.

This is fully and completely true. The whole project and idea won't go off without a hitch. I realize that. Just because I'm going to run into bumps and problems along the way doesn't mean I shouldn't move forward. I also plan to recruit models from other sites as well. Not just the models here. This is just one of the avenues I plan to use and it makes the most sense for me to start posting here since this is a large community of models and members.

You don't sound like a doomsayer at all, and I fully and completely appreciate you taking the time to comment all that you did. Thank you! Please feel free to comment and say anything at all. I don't want any negativity, but I don't feel like that is what you are giving me. Constructive criticism is always welcomed.

Here are my comments on your suggestions for a cam site. (Again thank you so very much for posting this.)

Freq said:
Models having more control over how much their shows cost. Models having a hard time can charge less if they really must, and models that are swampped constantly with pvt requests can charge more if they choose. Or even on a customer by customer basis a model can negotiate a price per min.

I think this is a great idea and one I will most certainly consider and most likely incorporate. I love the idea of giving the models some control over what they charge, while still having upper and lower limits so they can't charge way too much or too little. There have been many times I would have liked to give someone a lower rate or a higher rate. Having this freedom is a great idea.

Freq said:
Minimum show option. Each show "can" have an upfront cost for the first 5 mins, then tick at the per minute rate once the 5 mins are up. example: 250 tokens for 5 mins, then after 5 mins 50 tokens/min. I know models get tired of 30 second pvts. They could enable the pre pay to know that they are getting atleast 250 tokens reguardless.

I think this is an excellent idea! Thanks very much for that. I hadn't thought of that and I think it would be a great addition. I get sick of the 30 second privates and I think it would be a great idea to know that when I'm going into a private it would be a minimum of five minutes. :clap:

Freq said:
2 stage show initiation. EVERYTIME someone requests a show it will automatically open a pm window and notify the model. You discuss the terms and then both perv and model must click start show again before it starts. I hope this doesn't seem to streetwhorish.

I definitely like this idea, but I think what I would like to do is allow the models control over this. I think they can decide to have an option for this. I will always have a system in place where the model has to click "Accept" before a show starts, but not every model is going to want to discuss the terms with the client. I think enough models would appreciate this that I would certainly program it into the system, but I'm not sure I would want to make it mandatory for every single private. Many members might be turned off from this idea, and many models who are trying to get as much privates as they can may not appreciate their members having to go through an extra step. This is a great idea though - many models would appreciate this.

Having said that, I am torn. Perhaps it would be best to make it mandatory. After all, if the client isn’t willing to take a moment to type to the model what he would like to see – it isn’t likely to be a great private for the model (nor the client). It is always a better show for the client when the model knows what he likes and it’s always a better show for the model when the client actually communicates. I want both models and members to be happy.

I will definitely incorporate this idea – but I’m still unsure as to whether I would want to make it mandatory or not.

Freq said:
Pay to pimp billboard. Members and models could both pay to post on an upcoming events like forum. the message would remain up for a predetermined amount of time based on how much tokens were spent. Models would be able to have 1 free posting per day. You could announce when you are getting offline, when you are coming on next, show announcement. Example: "10 min. whipped cream group show starting at 10PM in Ambercuties room. 500tokens to join" The message would ideally remain up until 10pm. This could resultin a little extra cash for the site itself.

This is also an excellent idea! You are just full of them! I really like the models having a place to let their members know what's going on. Twitter allows this, but a lot of members don't use Twitter and don't follow all the models they are interested in even if they do. I like the idea of the site itself having somewhere the models can post - letting the members know when they are going to be on next, what's going on while they are online, etc. I also like the idea of allowing the models 1 free posting a day (maybe more), but they have to pay for more after that. Allowing the members a place to post for payment is also an idea worth considering.

I actually like your idea of an annual meet and greet :p But we'd have to see about that one. I don't know if it's something I myself would want to organize and deal with consequences or not. I do really enjoy the idea of people actually meeting up. I would just worry about prostitution or something like that going on or people accusing this of taking place.

Thanks again Freq. You have excellent ideas. I really appreciate them and hope you keep them coming! You obviously care about the models and think of ideas that will make things better for them. For this, I thank you (again). Lol :)

Geekstick –

I agree with you that my idea of 70% payout may not be possible. It’s exactly why I mentioned I may not be able to actually do this. I won’t know more of the actual percentage I can take until I have a better understanding of the costs. However, I do think it will be much better for me to start by giving the models 50-60% and hopefully make enough that I can then give them a “raise” to 70%.

I do plan to be a cam girl on my site - probably not forever, but certainly while it is starting up. I will probably be on there all the time! Lol. Furthermore, I will still make sure everyone is treated equally (ie. I’m not going to instantly put myself on the top of the list).

Just a side note here – I do plan to have a way of ranking the models, but I will work very hard to make sure it is fair and known to the models. I will pick the brains of any and all models and members concerning this. I will most certainly state the ranking system criteria for all to see at all times. I will not rank models based on some hidden system.

geekstick said:
1- In your ideal cam site, how many models would you want to have? Would you have so many that there's 500-600 models on at all times (like MFC) or would you prefer a smaller number like say, 50-100 models on at all times?

In my ideal cam site, I would definitely prefer a smaller number. I would most certainly NOT have 500-600 or 700 models online at all times. I think it’s ridiculous that MFC does this. Who really even watches the models on the second page? I click around all the time, and I am often the only person in these rooms. Furthermore, I plan to actually moderate my models and make sure they are all not only complying with the rules but are also generally friendly and lively (most of the time). It is very important to me to do this and I am not interested in hiring the man power to moderate 500-600 models. I also believe the members appreciate quality over quantity and the models themselves would rather have fewer models online.

geekstick said:
2- Outside of payouts and model count, what would you do differently than MFC? This is probably something that everyone could chime in on.

Oh me oh my. This is a large question for me to answer! I have many ideas and tons are still in the works and I will continue to have more. I’ll post a few off the top of my head.

One of the main differences between my site and MFC will most certainly be the customer service and treatment of models. I will be sure to hire enough people so that every member and model feels like their requests, comments, questions and concerns are answered promptly, professionally and to their satisfaction. I will always strive for customer satisfaction, not only customer service.

The models will most certainly know the criteria they will be ranked on. They will also never have to be afraid to come to me or my staff with any sort of question or concern – and they can always expect an honest response. No model will be given special treatment (and no porn stars will be allowed – amateurs only). It is very important to me to ensure that every concern a model expresses will be given the attention it deserves. Every model will be treated equally to the best of my abilities. Since no human or system is perfect, I will ALWAYS be open to anyone discussing concerns they have and I will never just automatically assume I am right and the model has no idea what they are talking about. I want every single one of my models to feel like they matter – because they do. Without models, there is no website. I want every single one of my members to feel like they matter – because they do.

There are many of Freq’s ideas I think I will consider as well (see above). He has some excellent ones. I also believe I will incorporate pyrite’s idea of allowing a public chat option to boot non premiums out for a “tip show.”

I will be certain to have enough servers, and staff so that my site will run as smooth as possible. I would rather shut my business down than have rules broken and see it crash 3 times a day (or even once a day). Having a website go down once in awhile is acceptable, especially for maintenance. However, I believe it’s completely unacceptable to have your website crash at least once a day.

I want to make a decent profit, but I will always be looking for ways to give the members more for their money and time – and the models more money for their time. I am ALWAYS going to want anyone to point out to me when I am doing anything less than this and I will NEVER have a problem explaining my reasoning for doing something. I am a very open person and I plan to run my business that way. I am not a push over and everything will be ultimately my decision – but I am an optimist, a people lover and I realize that a cam site (or any business) is nothing without their clients and employees. I am a promoter of equality and non-judgment. I can discipline someone and enforce my rules without judging. If my business ever reaches a point where I cannot adequately monitor it to make sure these ideals and rules are upheld I would much rather shut it down than continue to let it run rampant.

I will always care.

I believe business is about making money. I’m not an idiot. I am also not naive. I realize this is the main focus of most business and probably needs to be. However, I feel like most businesses (especially cam sites and the adult industry in general) tend to focus on profit and that’s it. I will most certainly run my business to make money, but my main focus will be on providing a valuable service that people are happy with. I only need enough money to pay my bills, provide for my family and live a comfortable life. I don’t need to look at every corner I can cut, or every gimmick I can use in order to make the most money I possibly can. If I can make enough to pay the bills and provide a comfortable life for my family – I am happy.

In fact, I’m the type of person that if I do get rich, the first thing I plan to do (after buying my own house and paying off my debt) would be to give that money away to my friends and family who need it and charities I think are worth donating to.

People can call me naive, people can think I’m crazy, people can hate me and people can think my business won’t make it. That’s just fine with me. I won’t begrudge anyone for their own opinion. This is just me. I believe in a better world, a better place and I believe in the goodness of every person. Running a cam site is just one way I’d like to contribute to the world. The moment I lose sight of this, is the moment I will withdraw and regroup and possibly close my business down if I have to.

The point is, I can be happy doing anything. If this cam site doesn’t work out, it doesn’t. But I believe it will. Furthermore, I never view my life as “stuck.” I have the choice to leave at any time. I feel like if I remain this attitude of detachment, I will never run my business in such a way that I only care about the money. I will never feel forced to be there because I know I always have other options.

I can give you some more detailed information as my project develops and let you know some specific differences between my cam site and other sites such as MFC – but for now I think I’ll just step off my soapbox. LOL.

Thanks for your input and questions geekstick. (Love the name btw.)

AlexLady – [

I would never expect you to join unless you wanted to. I wouldn’t expect you to join until you knew the system and rules and that you approved of the model/member help. I’m going to make it very clear how the models are paid and what all the rules of the system are. Before any model applies, they will have access to all this information – as will the members. I will always fully educate anyone who seeks it and have nothing to hide about the way things are run.

I will work very hard to make sure that my system will not be strict with harsh results or favourites. I, too, believe that it would be just as bad if not worse than a lax system that ignores everything. In fact, I will always welcome the help of people trying to point out flaws in my system.

I agree with the idea of pre-payment for private shows. I think it’s an excellent idea. (Go Freq!)

I think your kinky shows are awesome and I would most certainly like to create a system that allows shows like these to go on, but not ones that break the rules. I may allow hardcore shows to go on – but I would use pyrite’s idea of allowing only premium members that were already in the room to watch.

Thanks for your input AlexLady, it is much appreciated

--

Thanks again everyone! Keep it coming. :)

I have my own curiosities about potential late-term investments for this model/member business plan you have.

I would recommend you find an early investor out in Cali so nothing is completely out of pocket. You also have some good web designers in the valley, take advantage of that.

My legitimate concerns are that you may be relying too much on transfers from MFC. Look into a brainstorming for some good advertising ideas and ways to deliver them. I may be able to put you in touch with a recently graduated (she walked today) advertising major with an internship under her belt. I don't know if she charges or what she charges for a consult but get back to me on MFC under the username Ludichris, if you would like me to put you through to her.

good luck

Chris

Glad to help, glad to talk more about it with you.

Just some ideas:

- Perhaps the model could set her own price as long as it is above a threshold you would set in order to be sure you covered costs. This opens up a lot of possibilites for the model and her fans. Maybe she could charge different prices for different kinds of privates? One thing to consider is to not make it more complex than is necessary. There will have to be a balance there, and you'd want your models to know that the pricing rules would be subject to change, especially early on while you are feeling out your economic model.

- I'd recommend that you allow each model to have "tags" , and a max number of tags per model, and it should be fairly small. For example, Hot_Model_01 might have tags of kinky, masochist, toys - or maybe some more generic ones. Then the user can sort the models based on their preferences instead of clicking around randomly (most people click first, look at profile later). I suggest a fixed number to keep some models who will put all the stuff in their tags even things they aren't really into just to keep showing up when a search is done. Also, if users and other models think a model is using a tag that isn't appropriate (say she tags herself "anal" but doesn't do that kind of activity at all) they should be able to let an admin know so the tags can be adjusted.

- As far as the client goes, I'd like to see you use something that is multiplatform, perhaps Adobe Air, Java or (preferably, if possible) HTML5 some such, that would allow the model flexibility in her platform. I believe the current MFC client is restricted to Windows. More and more non-windows computing devices are going to come into common use and have webcam but won't necessarily run Windows. I'd also like to see mobile clients become a reality as front-facing cams become more commonplace - but even before that, it would be neat if a model could stream audio to her room from her phone and chat with the folks in her room even if she's not in front of her cam.

- Twitter integration - Skip Facebook, models nor clients want to give each other that much personal info about each other. But Twitter could be a much better way for models and fans to get things happening on your new site. Allow models to have their shows automatically post to twitter when they turn their cam on, and have them be able to tweet that they are on the cam site say every 30 mins or so (you'll want to tweak this). The idea is customer is thinking of playing a game, but wants to check Twitter first. They see hot_model_01 is on and they go to your site to play with her instead.

Hrm. Well actually it sounds like you have your head on straight and focused. So I'm not really worried much, but the initial setup will still be most important.

If it looks alright then I'd be willing to help beta test it as a model.

I'm not that picky, I just have a few concerns and expectations; and really, I think you'll meet them.

Oh also;

People will abuse your sign up thing. They'll sign up once, then sign up again. Sure, you can track their IP's, but that's so easy to get around that it's not worth it. Tracking their Mac address would help as well, but generally your audience wouldn't be able to figure out what that is or how to get it. That, and it can still be covered up or changed if you try.

So maybe, instead of for the first sign ups, make it the first 1000 sign ups or something. Or have them be referral based and give your starting models the referral link to pass out to their friends and fans.

Plus; I don't have much, but I may be interested in putting an investment in this to help you with the starting costs.

On things already stated:

MINIMUM PRIVATES:

LOVE the idea. However, a caution: I don't think the minimum should be more than the smallest token package. If the smallest will be $20 for 200 like on mfc, then the token min shouldn't be more than 180. Of course, that's just my opinion..

MEMBER MODERATION:

I like the idea of having some members that you choose to make sure the models themselves are following the rules.

Another idea to supplement is allowing the models to choose moderators within their rooms. Like, in my room, I might want it so that Freqaleak can ban people for me if I'm too busy with other conversations to notice that another member has started trolling. If you do go with this, I think it important that the member only have such status in the room of the model who upped him or her to that status. That one, I think, should be under full control over the models.

So- you choose the mods who moderate the models, obviously, but the models choose the mods who moderate the members within the room.

I think that's a good sum-up of the idea.

---

Things I was going to suggest to mfc if the first set seemed to go through:

MUTING CERTAIN MEMBERS

-a way to allow those basics on the friends list to still be allowed to talk even if basics are muted.

-a way to silence ALL but those on friend's list

-a warning when the timer for the mute is about to run out

-I don't know if you plan on having the option for models to block other models from going in the room, but if you do, it would be good if it could skip over other models on the friend's list.

-allow the model to select something to play while we're away. I don't like leaving them in silence with nothing to look at, but I might need to have the camera not connected while away because my male roommate is in the room talking to me, or a phone call, or other such things. Would be cool if, when I go away, members are treated my favorite movie, or a static scene with music I choose playing in the background.

obivously, these are bells and whistles, and not things that need ot be there right off the bat...

Great idea and like Alex mentioned, people will try to exploit anything nice you offer them. It's sad, but when you give an inch they try to take 6 feet. I wish you luck and hope you keep posting updates if you decide to go through with it.

Any ideas for a cool name for a new camsite that isn't already taken?

Thanks again all for your support and replies!

ludiChris - I appreciate your interest and I will most certainly keep you updated as things progress. I am still developing ideas so I don't really feel it necessary to start seeking out investors until my business plan is more developed. However, feel free to keep in touch with me (through here, MFC or my own website - www.naughtynaomi.org).

Furthermore, I appreciate your tip about advertising and I will most certainly be looking into advertising elsewhere - when I am actually closer to having a product/site to advertise. As of now, that is not a primary concern. I most certainly plan to recruit people outside of MFC and advertise elsewhere, but the crowd here is largely from MFC so I've been using MFC as my comparison in order to give people an idea of what I intend to do differently/change. Thanks again! I appreciate your input, interest and offer to put me through to someone else to help me advertise - I may take you up on this in the future.

tightlockup - Thanks again for you input. I love all your ideas and I am definitely going to consider them and save them for my future reference. Keep em coming. I really appreciate the help and always will. Eventually I will post a more structured business plan and also a summary of what I want my site to be like. As of right now, I want to keep this brief so I'll just say I like your ideas and I appreciate you sharing them with me! Keep in touch :)

AlexLady - Thanks for your comments. I would most certainly love the help of you beta testing when I get to that point. Of course, like I already mentioned, I don't expect anything though. I would only want you to help because you thought the site looked like a place you would want to be!

Thanks for your tips about my sign up thing. I think you are right. I will have to devise a way to make sure it is not abused, it sounds like you have some great ideas so I may have to pick your brain on this when the time comes. Just so you know, I did mean that I was only going to give a limited number of free credits. Not everyone who signs up initially will get the credits. It would be something like the first 1000 members to sign up would get it. I like your idea of giving the models a referral link as well. That would help both the models and the site, and hopefully reduce people abusing the system. Thanks again for the ideas, keep em coming!

I am also happy to hear you may want to help with the initial start up costs. I will most certainly keep you updated on how things are going. I mentioned that I won't be ready to have the site up and running for another year or two. It is probably more likely to be two. I will probably want to finish my business and administration training, and my boyfriend will want to have completed his computer information technology training. We may not have to wait until we get our diplomas to start the site (because we may have enough knowledge to do so beforehand) but I'm not sure. It's not something I want to rush, because I want to do a good job. However, I'm going to do everything I can as soon as I can.

Luna - I agree with you about having the minimum private be the same amount as the smallest credit package.

I also like your idea about allowing the models to assign moderators for their room. However, these moderators would probably not be on my payroll, so they'd have to do so just because they want to help - which I think a lot of members would. I wouldn't have them on my payroll just because I wouldn't be choosing them and I wouldn't be the one making sure they were getting their job done. Also I guess I would have to make sure each model could only have one member with this power at a time - but she could transfer it whenever she felt like. Perhaps each month, or payperiod, a model could submit the name of a member that has been moderating for her and this member would be given free credits or something like that. I think this is a great idea. =)

I also really like all the other ideas you posted. I won't bother commenting on them individually (unfortunately I always seem to get longwinded and I'm trying to keep this brief). I think your ideas about the muting are great and also your ideas about the friends list. Your last idea is definitely a bell or whistle, but something I would consider adding, eventually if not right away. Members most certainly must get bored waiting for girls to come back or get out of shows (I know I do) so it would be neat for you to choose something to entertain them while you are gone. You are just full of wonderful ideas and I appreciate you sharing them with me! Keep em coming. I'm recording all of these ideas for me to consider implementing!

Frankie - Thanks for your comments =) I will most certainly do my best to figure out a way to limit people abusing any system I put in place. I will always do my best to protect the models on my site, the members, the company and myself. In order to do this, I will always need other people around me pointing out when things like this could happen - so thank you. I will most certainly keep posting updates. I am sure I will go through with it. It will just be awhile. I don't want to rush it because I want to do a good job - and I also think I'll want to finish my business education (and also my boyfriend finish his computer information technology training) first. Also, I don't think cam sites are going to decrease in popularity or go anywhere. I think they are a great idea and sex always sells - so I'm not worried there either. :-D I don't want my cam site to be one that flops - so I'll have to do excellent preparation and development, which will take some time.

Freq- So far I have no ideas for a cool name not already in use. Although I thought of using Jennie Bunny's "MyFriendlyCams"... LOL! If I come up with a name, I'll purchase the domain right away if it's available, but it will still be awhile before the site is ready to go live, so I'm not too worried about thinking of a name yet. However, if you have any ideas or anyone else does... Please share. Just be prepared for me to use it if I like it! =) You'll always be given credit where credit is due, but if you suggest a name and I like it, I will use it for my site. I want something that's fun, catchy (easy to remember) and somehow eludes to the actual nature of the site (sexy and friendly cam girls). :dance:

Whoop... I think I was at least a little more brief this time. Sheesh! :oops:

NaughtyNaomi said:
Whoop... I think I was at least a little more brief this time. Sheesh! :oops:

I tend to have that problem myself.

I don't have much to add, but I just wanted to say that I like the ideas I've seen on here and would more than likely sign up for it whenever it gets rolling.

good luck with it :)

Just realized I've been reading this whole thread and never commented, so I wanted to add my support! It will be awesome to see a camsite created and run by an actual model! I'd love to check it out when you get it running!

hm, only having one mod...

As long as we can transfer it ten times a day if need be. Personally, I'd rather have at least two in my room at all times, and I KNOW there's no one I can gauarantee to be in my room every single time I'm online.

Oh, one last thing about that bit if you do put it through- make sure they are not capable of banning anyone on the model's friend's list. I have a habit of making friends who have a hard time getting along with each other. (Back in high school, two of my friends completely hated each other. THey ended up in the same dorm room our second year, because they had been "hanging out" so often. The dorm parents didn't realize they were just hanging out with me, not with each other. It took two months for the fighting to stop- one of them ended up transfering out x.x)

LOVE the idea of submitting one mod a month for free tokens. I never expected you to pay the mods who the models pick. I figured the models could work something out, since these mods would be picked by and working for the models themselves. The idea was to have a friend or two watching my back while I'm busy with other things, so in my case, I'd be asking those who would do it out of friendship. I would also probably give them a free pic once a month or so.

Also wasn't meant to be mandatory, just to be an option.

Oooo idea, but it seems too complicated... well I'll throw it out there:

This is probably a bit complicated, but how about a ladder of preferred mods?

Up to 20 or so people could be on the ladder. The highest two on the ladder present within the room would be the current mods. I put it at 20 because, again, I know I have a high turnover of friends within the room. But, say the ladder is there with mods 1-20, in order of preference for who the model would rather be mod if there's a choice.

Say numbers 3, 5, and 19 are in the room. 3 and 5 would be mods until someone higher on the ladder walks in, or if one of them leaves, then 19 is upgraded to mod status until someone else walks in. The model could order them however they want. (Personally, I'd either do it randomly, or have the ones less likely to be there at the top so there wouldn't be the fight of "but I never get to be mod cause __ is always in the room when I'm there...)

end random probably too complicated idea

Don't worry about the whole being brief thing- something as complicated as a whole new website surely needs a lot of explanation. :)

It sounds to me like you have a great handle on things so far. Love how you already know not to rush it, and expect problems at first. I'd wish you luck, but that usually backfires... (consider that my version of "break a leg")

I am most definitely going to go for programming, but I'm only just about to start on that, so it will take awhile before I get it going. You'll probably have the site up and running before I could be of use helping with it, but I still offer whatever services I can.

Thanks for you support again guys. Much appreciated! I like to know that you guys are reading this and liking the ideas, even if you don't really have anything to add (although I love hearing ideas and what you guys think).

Keithy, I'll keep that in mind and let you know once I have a job for ya, but don't hold your breath cause it will be awhile! =P

Luna - Thanks again for your ideas! I think that it would probably just be better to allow a model access to give one or two people moderation priviledges at a time, and they can transfer that power as many times as they like. I like your ladder idea but I think it might be more complicated than necessary. I will definitely keep it in mind though. (Also, I truly have no idea how complicated that would actually be to set up, lol.)

As for you not being able to help because you are just getting into programming, you may very will still be able to. I might not need the help anyways - but I'll always appreciate input if you are willing! I am just getting into the business and programming myself, so it will still be awhile. I keep stressing this, but really this is just an idea so far... With me taking as much action as I can right now (planning it out, getting ideas, letting people know I'm going to do this). I don't have the formal education yet either. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.