AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Time to Fly Again!

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2011
Flying, Flying a sign, Hanging corrugated, Doing/Working the cardboard billboard, Paper panhandling, Vehicular panhandling, Hiking the island, Hobo Island hopping, Island dancing, Spanging, Off ramping, Tramp ramping, Tramp busking, Tramp glad handin', Working the light, Standing in the off ramp unemployment line, and, Road wage, or, Making road wage, are just some of the euphemisms used for the act of soliciting money from motorist.

I have not had the necessity to fly a sign in a long time, and it was only when my disability was cut without notice, and I had to make rent, that I first made the choice to fly. I have no such necessity now, yet I will today for some amount of time fly a sign. It is not for myself though, it is for Donna. I do not know Donna, but I am sure she needs the generosity of strangers, and not for the money alone, but also for the emotional lift of knowing ppl care.

I will post a few pictures for entertainment value, of ppl flying. One is of a San Bernardino police officer during a sting they did recently to catch drivers in violation of cell phone and seat belt laws. http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-pos...ps-catch-distracted-drivers/story?id=32638298
There's one here that I found funny, bc I think this guy could give Very Verbose Victor a run for his money, and no I never let Vic write any of my signs.
I will also post Donna's GoFundMe link.
[GALLERY=media, 1139]Copsting by camstory posted Nov 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1141]Homeless Sign 06 by camstory posted Nov 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1140]Funny-panhandler by camstory posted Nov 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1142]Pan3_8905396_ver1.0_640_480 by camstory posted Nov 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1143]Vvvsign by camstory posted Nov 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM[/GALLERY]

You know getting out there was never something I looked forward to doing. In fact asking for money just bc I had none and needed it was only doable after a fast 40 of malt, or a 1/2 pint of something stronger. I sometimes thought it was funny in a sad sort of way, that there were prolly some kind ppl, who smelling booze on my breath, thought I was flying to facilitate my drinking, when I did not drink any other time, and did so then only so I could fly.

I guess the reason I'm going to put myself out there again, is bc I have lost any real sense of service. Donna thinks I am doing this bc I am an extra nice guy, and that's OK, I am a nice guy, but even though the money I receive will go to helping her, the sense of purpose and service to my fellow person will nourish my starving spirit.

P.S. This might offend some, and that's not my aim, but I thought about this a lot. There are plenty of differences, but there's a lot of similarities between camming and flying. Maybe the most obvious similarity is that ppl who have never done it and don't understand it judge you unfairly, and a lot of those ppl don't think you deserve to be paid for it, and/or think it's not a tough thing to do.

P.P.S. If anyone from the forum donates to Donna's Go Fund Me, I will match it, to the extent the generosity of local motorist will provide. Or, someone might be more inclined to check Donna's GoFundMe page tomorrow and match whatever I manage - That would be great as well. Anything, even $5. would be great in fact.

Thanks Eric.

Reactions: Dream Alien
It does take an immense amount of courage to fly a sign! To put yourself out there in a way that most people are ashamed of or look down upon or some are even wishing they could have the guts to do it. They dont know how it feels to be holding a sign and than seeing someone you know pulling up in a car.

I agree with you that it can be similar to camming because people degrade this work as well and think its "not good for society" or something that we dont deserve. I believe that anyone everywhere at any time should be allowed to do WHATEVER they want for money. It is our choice and we shouldnt be looked down upon for any way we are making our money.

Whats amazing and inspiring, is that you are not doing this to benefit yourself, but to benefit someone you know in need. And THAT is something to truly be applauded and rewarded! Thank you for posting this, Im sending lots of positive energy!

Thank you so much kind lady.

I got a late start today, and it was dusk before I got on the island. 16 lights at 1:25 a cycle, so the better part of a half hour. $23. posted to gofundme.com/helpdonnahome under the name Auto Bancroft, Bancroft road was my location, and I wanted anyone that cared to check to see if I was doing what my sign said I was to know who posted the donation without using my real name, though it would not be tough to figure it out.

Something pretty interesting happened. I had walked past the stopped cars up the island, and had turned around and was on my way back to the light when a guy rolled down his window. The light was about to turn and he said, "I never do this, I mean I never never do this." he had a bill in his hand, but was not extending it. It was as if he was in conflict with what he wanted to do, and that long time absolute he had of never doing it. My sign explained I was signing for Donna, and had the web address to encourage ppl to donate directly. I just looked at him, and said, "I understand, but it's for real." The light changed and he said, "I know.", and handed me a $5.[GALLERY=media, 1146]DonnaFlyin by camstory posted Nov 12, 2015 at 1:48 AM[/GALLERY]

Oh wow thats awesome! I bet it was super weird to see him contemplating it. How long did it take him to hand it to you?

And Im glad you put the web address on! That will definitely help people understand that youre doing this for real. So I have to ask, are you less nervous about doing this than you used to be?

Well, I got a late start again, so I only posted $8. last night.

To answer your questions Miss Alexa, Yes, it was a trip to watch this guy struggle with his conundrum. I think he prolly read the sign as I walked past down the island, and it caught him by surprise. I think he had at some point years ago told himself I'm not going to support these ppl on the street begging bc it won't help them get off the street bc they will just use it for booze or drugs. (And you can't, or, I don't, blame anyone for thinking that, bc mostly it's spot on.) I think he had a charitable soul, and subconsciously always had the want to tell himself a different story - to believe he could give, and have it maybe make a positive impact. So, his impulse is, great I can give, he quickly grabs the $5., but he has so programmed himself with the no give story, it's like having the arguing devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other. As soon as I reassured him, by saying, it's for real, I could see the relief pass over his face, and I even think I heard a little PUFF when the devil vaporized.

And, yes I was a bit surprised, but maybe I shouldn't have been, it was much easier not collecting for myself. I have estimated that on average in this area, (which is better, to much better than most), a guy might be able to expect $40-$50 an hour, but I have never been able to stay out more than about a half hour, and it was usually more like10-15 min, smoke brake, drink half a 40, and force myself to go back for another 15. I felt uncomfortable from day 1 with looking at the ppl in the cars, and have always sort of stared straight ahead, only making eye contact when someone was giving. I am always grateful, and always look the person in the eyes when thanking them. (BTW pet peev beggars who use god to help them beg. I don't look at ppl bc I don't want them to give bc I'm making them uncomfortable, and "god bless" on a sign is as wrong as staring at ppl for the same reason.) I digress. Still not fun or enjoyable, but much more tolerable, and in fact I think I am going to stick with it until Donna makes her goal. I'm suppose to be in Texas right now having stuck out the 3000 mile bike ride to get there, I need to stick out something now even if only this.

Thank you for asking. Collecting for someone else is not the only thing that has made this a bit easier :finger:

Bahahahaha! Eric

This thread has reminded me of a great telecourse (Ethics in America) I used to watch every time it would run on my local PBS station.

A video instructional series on ethics. This series uses the Socratic method to build analytical skills and examine ethical questions. The programs aim to sharpen moral reasoning without favoring a particular position by exploring ethical dilemmas in legal, political, medical, corporate, and military arenas.

Panelists include Antonin Scalia, Mike Wallace, Warren Buffett, Geraldine Ferraro, and a bunch of other brilliant ppl. If you like the examination of ethics, I personal find it fascinating, you will really love this series. It is nearly 30 years old, but because ethics are built on fundamental values of right and wrong they do not become out dated. Though remembering the episode dealing with journalism the hypothetical questions asked then, are almost comical now in the midst of mainstream media that has in many ways lost any sense of ethics. (All 10 episodes can now be found on you tube, something I could not do just a few years ago when I search quite hard, and only found parts on a few available.)

Anyway, if anyone besides Lady_Alexa is paying any attention, and has any strong feelings about how one should think about, deal with, the poor, homeless, mentally ill, etc. that we see sleeping in refrigerators boxes, or flying signs, and who's #'s continue to grow, here is part of one of the EIA videos that deals with exactly those things. It also addresses the question of giving or not giving based on what we think that $ will go for. Above I said I do not blame anyone for thinking that often the $ given will be used for booze and/or drugs, and I don't, but I also have some strong feeling about the purity of our charity. Personally I think our giving is only pure generosity, when it is given unconditionally, much like the purity of our love being given unconditionally. I think most don't see it that way though?

This is a very, very poignant topic for me. I don't know. I grew up in the church, but found the whole concept of tithing a little, hm, mystifying. It seems like so much more good could be done on an individual, subjective level. (This isn't to drag religion into anything, just maudlin, late-night rambling.) Anyway, church kid turned into punk kid and got started with Food Not Bombs, and since then homelessness and poverty has weighed very heavily on my heart. @camstory , you are doing a very good thing here.

PS-- I put my money where my mouth big, fat mouth is :) Sent a few $ Donna's way, only wish I could do more.

First, Thank you very much VeraPrice. That was a kind, and selfless gesture, and that is what matters, not the amount. Having someone else get involved has lifted my spirit in the same way I'm sure our effort has lifted Donna's.:clap:

Only managed $12. tonight before the cops ran me off. I may post more about that later. For now a shower and drawing my attention back to two most cherished that I have been neglecting the last few days, my squeeze, and proper sleep.

Good night/weekend all. ~Cam~

• Hugs
Reactions: Vera
This is a very, very poignant topic for me. I don't know. I grew up in the church, but found the whole concept of tithing a little, hm, mystifying. It seems like so much more good could be done on an individual, subjective level. (This isn't to drag religion into anything, just maudlin, late-night rambling.) Anyway, church kid turned into punk kid and got started with Food Not Bombs, and since then homelessness and poverty has weighed very heavily on my heart. @camstory , you are doing a very good thing here.

PS-- I put my money where my mouth big, fat mouth is :) Sent a few $ Donna's way, only wish I could do more.

FOOOOODD NOT BOMBBBBS! Omg yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have that here in WA as well, I love it! So many good vibes. And Im super glad to hear another good opinion on what 'camstory' is doing for Donna. Because a lot of people unfortunately look down upon flying a sign (for any reason) so its nice to see good deeds done.

Keep your head up out there and remember you also need to take care of yourself, get some sleep etc etc. Going to be donating some within the next week when I get paid meow!

Just up, and I see that someone has posted a $150 anonymous gift to Donna's GoFundMe page, bringing the count to $238 and a lot closer to the goal of $1000. Thank you anon, who ever you are.

Correction - the goal has been lowered to $800.

Just got this in reply to my DM that maybe today, or tomorrow something fantastic would happen , and Donna would still be able to make it home before Thursday.

We are actually on our way to Connecticut right now! Stopped somewhere in south Carolina. She received a couple of western unions from family members that paid for the truck mostly and the go fund me money is covering all of the gas :)

Thanks to all who supported this cause in one way or the other.

Eric.

Status
Not open for further replies.