AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Tips vs donations

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2012
It always bothered me how members tip toward a goal. I know I'm nit-picking but tipping is a practice that is typically a reward for a job well done. What members really are doing is donating toward a goal.(like in telethons)

Do you think expectations would change any if you asked for donations to achieve your goal and then ask for tips after the goal was achieved? Then maybe you could have Top Donors as well as Top Tippers. Do you think members would both donate and tip or would they more likely only do one or the other?

On MFC, the role of tips goes beyond expressing gratitude in monetary form. It additionally functions as a medium for trade, although there's a lack of buyer protection with it. You are correct in identifying that it's a misnomer, but does the distinction serve any real purpose? I do enjoy semantic word-games, but this seems like a rather pointless distinction to me.

Money, regardless of the form it's given in, ultimately serves the same purpose. It's acquired the same way - so what's the point?

Sia Green said:
Mabey its just me but the word donor makes me think of giving blood :confused1: I tend to phrase it as "X amount of tokens for naked" so call it what you will but once the amount is reached off come the clothes.
That's what I generally do. It just feels better to say "x tokens for x". Asking for 'tips' or 'donations' feels skeevy to me.

Reactions: Sia Green
hornygods said:
On MFC, the role of tips goes beyond expressing gratitude in monetary form. It additionally functions as a medium for trade, although there's a lack of buyer protection with it. You are correct in identifying that it's a misnomer, but does the distinction serve any real purpose? I do enjoy semantic word-games, but this seems like a rather pointless distinction to me.

Money, regardless of the form it's given in, ultimately serves the same purpose. It's acquired the same way - so what's the point?

My point is using correct terminology would set the proper expectations according to how the words are traditionally used. I understand the word has taken a different meaning but you assume that everyone knows and has accepted what that is. Sure, people who have used the site for some time soon learn this but I've seen breakdowns occur, mostly with new models or new members, who don't know how the word is used differently.

I've heard plenty of models say "tip toward the goal" and IMO it just starts things off on the wrong foot. If using the correct terms simplifies things then why not? Whether the current usage of "tips" is so apart of the current culture that it's too late to change is another story. Or the fact that link says tip so it kind of forces everything to be a tip anyway so even if you wanted to make a distinction you couldn't. I just thought of that. Kind of makes the whole discussion moot now...

Holden said:
hornygods said:

My point is using correct terminology would set the proper expectations according to how the words are traditionally used. I understand the word has taken a different meaning but you assume that everyone knows and has accepted what that is. Sure, people who have used the site for some time soon learn this but I've seen breakdowns occur, mostly with new models or new members, who don't know how the word is used differently.

I've heard plenty of models say "tip toward the goal" and IMO it just starts things off on the wrong foot. If using the correct terms simplifies things then why not? Whether the current usage of "tips" is so apart of the current culture that it's too late to change is another story. Or the fact that link says tip so it kind of forces everything to be a tip anyway so even if you wanted to make a distinction you couldn't. I just thought of that. Kind of makes the whole discussion moot now...

I agree that it kind of sucks, but it is definitely the image MFC is promoting. "Never pay for a sex show again", you say? So you're NOT paying for it, you're tipping out of gratitude that the model did well enough to appease you.

Just realized that sounded super cynical.

Yeah, the terminology doesn't promote being fair and it can be awkward all around the board but it's the image they want and they have no motivation to change it, as far as I can see. MFC is all about stuff being free.

PlayboyMegan said:
I would love to be able to show my tits and get tokens of appreciation for it, but it doesn't work that way.

ScarlettLeigh said:
PlayboyMegan said:
I would love to be able to show my tits and get tokens of appreciation for it, but it doesn't work that way.

:lol: :lol: Yes, please.

I have models I think of as friends and I tip them in appreciation. I am hoping that you both mean most members do not do that for you. I think every model needs people who treat them like a person and not a thing.

Holden said:
Or the fact that link says tip so it kind of forces everything to be a tip anyway so even if you wanted to make a distinction you couldn't. I just thought of that.

Just tell the model in the tip note that your are not tipping them, if it bothers you so much.

Shaun__ said:
I have models I think of as friends and I tip them in appreciation. I am hoping that you both mean most members do not do that for you. I think every model needs people who treat them like a person and not a thing.
There are members who do this? :shock:

Reactions: PlayboyMegan
Shaun__ said:
PlayboyMegan said:

ScarlettLeigh said:
PlayboyMegan said:

:lol: :lol: Yes, please.

Holden said:
Or the fact that link says tip so it kind of forces everything to be a tip anyway so even if you wanted to make a distinction you couldn't. I just thought of that.

Just tell the model in the tip note that your are not tipping them, if it bothers you so much.
I did mean most. I have a few, and they are awesome! But it's pretty rare. Most guys need incentive to tip. They have a "well what are you going to give me in exchange for my tokens?" type of attitude.

Reactions: 1 person
PlayboyMegan said:
I did mean most. I have a few, and they are awesome! But it's pretty rare. Most guys need incentive to tip. They have a "well what are you going to give me in exchange for my tokens?" type of attitude.
...or a "well what are you going to give me in exchange for that guy's tokens?" type of attitude. :|

LilyMarie said:
PlayboyMegan said:
...or a "well what are you going to give me in exchange for that guy's tokens?" type of attitude. :|
guy1: *tips 2,000tkns* "thanks for being so nice"
guy2: "wooo hoo! that's enough for a cum show megan"
:woops:

LilyMarie said:

This.

Oh no! but what if a guy tips for the ass jiggling I'm doing while I also am working on a countdown?? Am I not supposed to count it? Oh fuck, I count veedio purchases too! OH SHIT! WE NEED A PURCHASE BUTTON! OMG!!!!!

I died.

Let's not over complicate things, shall we?

Attachments

• Mind20Blown-1.jpg
    Mind20Blown-1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 396
Lets not forget how confusing it could be for some of the models that just finally mastered the ''C'mon, teeeeeps me bb" phrase. Their whole cam world could be devastated if everyone started deviating from the norm.

MFC has basically produced it's own lingo where tips are synonymous with tokens. If it got any more complicated, people might actually be more cognizant they're actually spending money instead of funny little yellow tokens and that would be bad for MFC in general.

Reactions: PlayboyMegan
i hatttte the word donation in reference to camming. i know its just a word but its a word that makes it seem like im a charity. im not, whether your tipping towards a countdown or buying something or just because you like spending time with me you are paying for a service not giving me money for nothing. theres this growing attitude that camgirls dont really deserve money for what they do or that it should be so much supermagicfun that they are greedy as fuck for expecting to make a living off of this. all im saying is the work we do is already undervalued and under appreciated by most so words like donation just contribute to that.

Jaydenrainey said:
i hatttte the word donation in reference to camming. i know its just a word but its a word that makes it seem like im a charity. im not, whether your tipping towards a countdown or buying something or just because you like spending time with me you are paying for a service not giving me money for nothing. theres this growing attitude that camgirls dont really deserve money for what they do or that it should be so much supermagicfun that they are greedy as fuck for expecting to make a living off of this. all im saying is the work we do is already undervalued and under appreciated by most so words like donation just contribute to that.

:clap:

Reactions: Jaydenrainey
a. Why are there no spaces in user names? they make it so hard to tell what people are called.

b. What are inches, in my country we are supposed to adhere to the metric system.

c. I believe the use of the term weight is incorrect and all members must list their mass, in accordance with my issues.

d. Why isn't instant soup ready as soon as I think of it, or during the thought? I mean I have to open the package, turn on some energy source, add stuff, and wait!

Webster's: : a gift or a sum of money tendered for a service performed or anticipated
Oxford's: a sum of money given to someone as a reward for a service

So the American dictionary partially defines a tip as a service anticipated, period. While Oxford is a bit less descriptive in declaring the tip as a service, full stop.

Donation has a similar variant between Britain and America, you may be confusing the colloquial adaptation for the original meaning.

What models are really doing is incentivizing token purchases, by depleting a members current supply or by convincing them to acquire more. The sole source of income for many models on my free cams are gratuities, before, during or after any services. (smiles are my favourite services)

Tip towards the goal, can be understood as "any tokens received will deduct from the goal (aside from any caveats)" which in turn may or may not include a reward for the tipper(s).

Despite the misconception Cam Modelling is not a free job
Costs associated with Cam modelling include;

1. Internet (uhh, duhh)
2. Clothing (motivational cue)
3. Housing (place of work)
4. Electricity (in most cases)
5. Make Up (can be very expensive)
6. Nutritional Sustenance (models gotta eat)
7. Computer/Cam (i think this is imperative)
8. Hair Cuts/Dye (cool hair is cool)
*(daycare, car payments, social lubricant, toys, oil, lotions, cell phones/payments, postage, personal hygiene, health care.....................)

Please do not begin another thread extoling the virtues of friendship and why one must not pay for this.

The discussion is all well and good, but the meaningfulness of it is questionable.

I would like to comment on your list of 'cam-model costs' - many of the listed costs, such as 'nutritional sustenance', would fall under the category of 'living expenditure'. These costs are not costs of cam modelling - rather, these are the requisites of maintaining a healthy living. The 'housing' is arguable, as a roof over one's head is necessitated for living, but that in itself doesn't serve to be sufficient for a good living standard, nor is it sufficient for a cam-modelling environment.

I still maintain that tips, for the most part, serve the primary purpose of expressing gratitude (in monetary form). It may also be a service anticipated, which in the context of MFC, is one of the more pervasive practices in token expenditure. I don't mind 'tipping towards a cause' (e.g. 200tks for a video) - it denotes an exchange - not implying anything of ill-intention.

hornygods said:
I would like to comment on your list of 'cam-model costs' - many of the listed costs, such as 'nutritional sustenance', would fall under the category of 'living expenditure'. These costs are not costs of cam modelling - rather, these are the requisites of maintaining a healthy living. The 'housing' is arguable, as a roof over one's head is necessitated for living, but that in itself doesn't serve to be sufficient for a good living standard, nor is it sufficient for a cam-modelling environment.

1- As a cammodel, I need to be energetic all the time. No problem, just use soda, right? Wrong. As a cammodel, I have to watch my health carefully. So a diet that's perfectly acceptable for a job like running a gas station (that's how I refer to clerks who are on second shift, since they are the only ones there and do everything to run it) is not acceptable while on camera.

2- As a cammodel, I have to stay hydrated. This is actually crucial, since my body's natural state is slightly dehydrated, and my pussy doesn't like to stay wet for long periods of time. This means I drink a hell of a lot more now. But again, it's gotta be healthy drinks. And not as much soda or coffee.

3- As a cammodel, I need a separate room. Technically, I *can* cam in the room I sleep in, and have done so, but for my mental health, it's much better for me to have a separate room. This cuts down on restless nights due to the smells associated, or due to the camera bothering me just by being in the same room.

4- As a cammodel, I use a hella lot more electricity than not. Example: my first year paying the electricity bill, it was at 120 for heating, 26 when I didn't need to run the heat all the time and didn't really need ac yet. As a cammodel, my electricity bill has never been lower than 50.

5- As a cammodel, I have to keep my camroom warm enough for me to be nude in for extended periods of time. I also have to be sure the rest of my apartment is not such a different temperature that I'm constantly sick.

While everything he listed is necessary for life, it's necessary to a bigger degree as a model. If I didn't need to stay in perfect health, I could subsist on Ramen 2 out of 3 meals a day. But since I can't afford to be low on energy, and can't afford to get sick, I have to make sure I get enough fruits, vegetables, meat, and so on. That's expensive. I could live with keeping the heat down to where I need to wear pants and a sweater all day, except my job requires me to be nude. My roommate and I would be fine in a one-bedroom apartment, but we need the extra room so we don't have to live with the smells of anal while we try to sleep. Not to mention so he can sleep while I work.

Since they are needed to a greater degree, and I wouldn't spend as much money on it if I wasn't a model, they are work expenses.

Ah, the post I was responding to did not clarify, and therefore I was unaware of some of the additional costs (particularly those pertaining to well-being), although I understood that heating, electricity and other related expenditure would rise as a result of being a cam-model.

I do realise that this may be a sensitive topic, but what does it cost for a cam-model to live, on average? It may be important to note the peak/dips in costs too, if the variance is considerable (e.g. I personally double/triple my expenditure near the Christmas period).

Status
Not open for further replies.