AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Weird Spam Email

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2022
UK
So I received the below email to my personal, camsite-registered email address last week. It’s obviously spam and when I checked the link (without clicking on it) it was directing to CB but with a few additional parameters (guessing some affiliate stuff going on).

It’s from a @yahoo.com email address.

I just threw me a bit, as in… how does some spammer with a Yahoo email address know that my personal email address is associated with one of the two websites mentioned at the start of the email?

I contacted the (brilliant) reps here who told me to send it to support but all I got back was:

“Kindly note that the related link does not belong to our site, therefore please contact the third-party site directly to resolve the issue.”

I’m not massively concerned but… bit weird, no?

IMG_3155.png

So I received the below email to my personal, camsite-registered email address last week. It’s obviously spam and when I checked the link (without clicking on it) it was directing to CB but with a few additional parameters (guessing some affiliate stuff going on).

It’s from a @yahoo.com email address.

I just threw me a bit, as in… how does some spammer with a Yahoo email address know that my personal email address is associated with one of the two websites mentioned at the start of the email?

I contacted the (brilliant) reps here who told me to send it to support but all I got back was:

“Kindly note that the related link does not belong to our site, therefore please contact the third-party site directly to resolve the issue.”

I’m not massively concerned but… bit weird, no?

View attachment 98742
There are a bunch of ways it could happen. The most likely scenario imo is they didnt know you had a stripchat account, that part was just a coincidence, I would think if they had access to the actual info on the stripchat database they would have your email and username so the email would then contain your stripchat username. so instead of what you got it would be something more like.

Hey {Stripchat_username},
We just wanted to let you know that we consider you a VIP member.... rest of the email

On another note, I really dont get the campaign, like anyone that has a stripchat account I assume already knows about chaturbate as a site so the whole email in itself isnt believable.

Upvote 0
There are a bunch of ways it could happen. The most likely scenario imo is they didnt know you had a stripchat account, that part was just a coincidence, I would think if they had access to the actual info on the stripchat database they would have your email and username so the email would then contain your stripchat username. so instead of what you got it would be something more like.

On another note, I really dont get the campaign, like anyone that has a stripchat account I assume already knows about chaturbate as a site so the whole email in itself isnt believable.

I thought coincidence and that’s probably the most logical answer. SC is one of the biggest websites for traffic.

The link had a few random query strings in there - guessing they’d get some hits for the clicks 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cheers for the reply! 🙏🏼

Upvote 0
IDK, but receiving a spam email relating to a cam site, when you're a user on at least one such site, seems a bit more targeted to me than just a coincidence - unless of course you regularly receive spam emails relating to a wide variety of topics.

Reactions: Smoothie
Upvote 0
@Maxi_P Are you sure the link was actually Chaturbate, or could it have been a bad actor trying to pass itself off as Chaturbate? Nothing misspelled in the URL or anything like that?

Upvote 0
I hate those e-mails that have my real first and last name...or it'll have my son's first name and last name's initial. And the body of the e-mail always has some suspicious link that they're trying to get you to click on. *Cringe*

Upvote 0
@Maxi_P Are you sure the link was actually Chaturbate, or could it have been a bad actor trying to pass itself off as Chaturbate? Nothing misspelled in the URL or anything like that?

Yeah, it was the usual CB URL with a few additional query strings in there, like: ?campaign=xxxx and ?track=xxxx

Guessing someone’s spamming to get some referral cash.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Smoothie
Upvote 0
How long have you been a member of stripchat? if you were a member in 2021 its possible you were impacted by the security breach they had.

• Data of some users registered on the site (username, email, IP address, ISP details, tip balance, account creation date, last login date, account status)

Upvote 0
How long have you been a member of stripchat? if you were a member in 2021 its possible you were impacted by the security breach they had.

• Data of some users registered on the site (username, email, IP address, ISP details, tip balance, account creation date, last login date, account status)

About 16 months so that wouldn’t have affected me 👍🏼

Upvote 0

This is true.
A model [quite] recently (a few months ago) because she cams (obviously) and she had a "generic" email that said about them having recorded her on video while she masturbated and if she doesn't send XX amount of money to a specific Crypto address, they will release said videos.

Obviously, this seemed like someone from the site had recorded her and found out her info, but then she showed me the email, and it's very generic and didn't mention ANY camsites at all, it quite literally meant they had HACKED into her webcam and recorded her (it didn't say male or female anywhere in the email, it was THAT generic).

She wasn't bothered by it.
But I did get curious and looked on one of those "explorer" websites to see what payments (if any) had been given to this wallet/key, and a lot of people had been sending money to it, so some people definitely fell for it, unfortunately, some even sent multiple thousands of dollars each time.

Upvote 0
This is true.
A model [quite] recently (a few months ago) because she cams (obviously) and she had a "generic" email that said about them having recorded her on video while she masturbated and if she doesn't send XX amount of money to a specific Crypto address, they will release said videos.

Obviously, this seemed like someone from the site had recorded her and found out her info, but then she showed me the email, and it's very generic and didn't mention ANY camsites at all, it quite literally meant they had HACKED into her webcam and recorded her (it didn't say male or female anywhere in the email, it was THAT generic).

She wasn't bothered by it.
But I did get curious and looked on one of those "explorer" websites to see what payments (if any) had been given to this wallet/key, and a lot of people had been sending money to it, so some people definitely fell for it, unfortunately, some even sent multiple thousands of dollars each time.

Yeah that’s a very common scam. If you ignore it, nothing happens. But like you said, some people get nervous and pay up, which is why they keep doing it.

Reactions: NotYou
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.