AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

You're Not That Hot

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joeternal said:
Lilith Vine said:
I feel that most cam girls should have some of the mentality of being owed compensation for their time. When you go to work, don't you feel the same way? You put in hours at your job, you get paid and you don't expect anything less. Some argue that being a cam model is not a job, but guess what? I file taxes and pay taxes every year so in my mind that seems like a form of employment to me. So yeah, I do feel like I'm owed tokens.

I feel like this whole thread is a result of the common "I didn't get my way so I feel the need to make myself feel better by belittling others." :twocents-02cents:

You're self-employed. You don't have a boss or a salary. You depend on tips. You have no entitlement to tips unless you make a specific agreement with a member. Not sure what part of that you don't understand, but it's a pretty good example of what I'm talking about.

Bartenders work for tips, too. But you wouldn't go to a bar, take up space, demand the bartender's attention... and not order anything, would you? And if you did, would you really have a good leg to stand on when the bartender told you to order something or get the fuck out? The bartender has every reason in the world to expect you to either order or leave.

Same situation.

Elsalil_Stiller said:
Joeternal said:
Lilith Vine said:
I feel that most cam girls should have some of the mentality of being owed compensation for their time. When you go to work, don't you feel the same way? You put in hours at your job, you get paid and you don't expect anything less. Some argue that being a cam model is not a job, but guess what? I file taxes and pay taxes every year so in my mind that seems like a form of employment to me. So yeah, I do feel like I'm owed tokens.

I feel like this whole thread is a result of the common "I didn't get my way so I feel the need to make myself feel better by belittling others." :twocents-02cents:

You're self-employed. You don't have a boss or a salary. You depend on tips. You have no entitlement to tips unless you make a specific agreement with a member. Not sure what part of that you don't understand, but it's a pretty good example of what I'm talking about.

Bartenders work for tips, too. But you wouldn't go to a bar, take up space, demand the bartender's attention... and not order anything, would you? And if you did, would you really have a good leg to stand on when the bartender told you to order something or get the fuck out? The bartender has every reason in the world to expect you to either order or leave.

Same situation.
I was just about to make a similar comment haha. The expectation is that the patron of the bar WANTS to be there, so should participate in the normal give-and-take of buying a drink. If he didn't want to be there, or didn't like the environment, he would have/should have left pretty quickly and found an establishment that he enjoyed.

Elsalil_Stiller said:
Joeternal said:
Lilith Vine said:

Same situation.

I disagree that it's the same situation.

Camgirls are more like buskers or street performers. Hundreds of people will gather to listen to someone sing, or watch them juggle, or be enthralled by a 'living statue'. But only a handful of those people will actually drop a tip into their cup, regardless of how talented the person is, or how much of themselves they throw into their work.

But if after playing their song, a busker started yelling at the people walking away without tipping and saying "How dare you not tip me? Look how hard I work! I deserve compensation! Don't you ever come back again, cheapass, or I'll throw rocks at you!", then even the people who would have actually tipped will walk away because of their attitude. And maybe some of those people walking away just can't afford it that day but plan to come back, or realize they don't have any cash and are going to hit up the ATM and give the performer some money for the next song. If the performer alienates them with negative behavior and entitlement, however, they're going to write them off and use their money for some other form of entertainment.

AmberCutie said:
Elsalil_Stiller said:
Joeternal said:
Lilith Vine said:

Same situation.
I was just about to make a similar comment haha. The expectation is that the patron of the bar WANTS to be there, so should participate in the normal give-and-take of buying a drink. If he didn't want to be there, or didn't like the environment, he would have/should have left pretty quickly and found an establishment that he enjoyed.

The bar/chatroom analogy is actually a rationale I use in my room a lot. When I'm trying to get a chatty Cathy to tip I'll remind him, "Hey, if you met me at a bar and wanted to talk to me all night, you'd buy me a drink, wouldn't you?" When they realize they would, indeed, buy me a drink, they toss in their $5 and then they're cool to hang out the rest of the night, and they will be greeted warmly every time they return.

AmberCutie said:
Elsalil_Stiller said:

Same situation.
It's not quite the same situation. MFC is more like a super bar that let's anyone in to watch the bull riding, darts games, 45 TV's mounted on the wall with different sports games on each, 3 different rooms with live bands, the ukrainian juggling act, and more. And anyone who pays the once in a lifetime cover charge can get in to watch any of it for free for the rest of their lives. Oh, and by the way, they also sell booze over there in the corner, so you should tip the bartender if you buy any.

If a bar like that existed there would definitely be people in there all night who don't drink and never tip the bartender.

Ann_Sulu said:
Ah, but see now you're talking about beggars, not just egos. There's a difference.

:text-yeahthat:

I absolutely don't agree with models who beg. I also don't agree with models who don't show any gratitude for tips, or those who are generally disrespectful. However, the same goes for how I feel about people in real life - disrespect and arrogance don't get very far with me. There is a huge difference between confidence and arrogance; cam models should be confident (if they weren't, they probably wouldn't get very far just because of the nature of the job), but yes, arrogance can be a turn off - if that's not your thing, then find a model/models that peak and keep your interest.

I wouldn't expect for a member to tip me if they genuinely didn't like me or weren't interested in what I have to offer. That's your prerogative as a paying member, to choose whom you tip for their services. If you don't like a certain model, move on - there are so many different models with different personalities who offer vastly different things.

GemmaMoore said:

Camgirls are more like buskers or street performers. Hundreds of people will gather to listen to someone sing, or watch them juggle, or be enthralled by a 'living statue'. But only a handful of those people will actually drop a tip into their cup, regardless of how talented the person is, or how much of themselves they throw into their work.

But if after playing their song, a busker started yelling at the people walking away without tipping and saying "How dare you not tip me? Look how hard I work! I deserve compensation! Don't you ever come back again, cheapass, or I'll throw rocks at you!", then even the people who would have actually tipped will walk away because of their attitude. And maybe some of those people walking away just can't afford it that day but plan to come back, or realize they don't have any cash and are going to hit up the ATM and give the performer some money for the next song. If the performer alienates them with negative behavior and entitlement, however, they're going to write them off and use their money for some other form of entertainment.

Bingo. This one gets it.

JerryBoBerry said:
AmberCutie said:
Elsalil_Stiller said:

Same situation.
It's not quite the same situation. MFC is more like a super bar that let's anyone in to watch the bull riding, darts games, 45 TV's mounted on the wall with different sports games on each, 3 different rooms with live bands, the ukrainian juggling act, and more. And anyone who pays the once in a lifetime cover charge can get in to watch any of it for free for the rest of their lives. Oh, and by the way, they also sell booze over there in the corner, so you should tip the bartender if you buy any.

If a bar like that existed there would definitely be people in there all night who don't drink and never tip the bartender.
:lol: True!

You know the owners of the bar would probably not be incredibly fond of those folks, but shame on them if they ever commented on it, right?

GemmaMoore said:

You do realize every time you post now I'm picturing you singing all the words in your Frozen voice, right? :-D

Joeternal said:
GemmaMoore said:

Bingo. This one gets it.

I think we all get it. It's just normally hard to compare camming to another job. Plus most street performers don't normally have near the competition, but I agree with everything Gemma said. You do have to be what your customers want and begging normally isn't it lol.

JerryBoBerry said:
GemmaMoore said:

You do realize every time you post now I'm picturing you singing all the words in your Frozen voice, right? :-D

I wouldn't have it any other way! :lol: :eek:ccasion-snowman:

GemmaMoore said:

I agree with this too.

Even when a cam girl is disappointed with lack of tokens/tippers/spenders it's not in their best interest to act like a spoiled bratty bitch about it. I do believe, however, that there's a less "in your face", sweetly suggestive way that they can comment on it.

"Don't forget, if you enjoy my company/performance/etc., toss a few coins in the cup whenever you can! It's appreciated!" seems acceptable, vs "fuck off if you don't intend to pay me."

AmberCutie said:
:lol: True!

You know the owners of the bar would probably not be incredibly fond of those folks, but shame on them if they ever commented on it, right?

Business wise, you should never turn anybody away unless you have a very good reason to do it. Even small-time tippers add up over time if you don't alienate them. It's a numbers game. The biggest impediment to models making money is not cheap customers, but rather competition from other models. The market is there, but it's not infinite. At the same time, there's no point in trying to compete with other models, because it's all subjective. It pays to treat people well, and appreciate everything anybody gives you, whether it's time, attention, or money. In the end it all pays off in ways you can't predict.

Carmita Bonita said:
"Cam girls act like they're owed tips because of how totally amazing and awesome they are, and when they get them, they don't appreciate them."
This is quite a huge generalization about cam girls when I can just browse a camsite and find tons of girls who smile and say "Thank you" when they're tipped.
Yeah, I don't get where this whole myth about those tons of camgirls who don't appreciate tips even came from. :shock: I mean, browsing a site and finding a camgirl who doesn't thank the guys who tip her is pretty damn rare, I would say.

Joeternal said:
You can't just log on and demand tips. Which is what a lot of models increasingly do.
You mean they log on, offer no services or goods in their topic and demand tips? Where are those models? I can't find them. In no camscore or Miss MFC rank range.
This is what I don't get. You're making it sound as if camgirls who want "money for nothing" are the majority, while they're actually the small minority, if not non-existent. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single model who logs on, has no services to offer, and expects tips just for being on cam and looking pretty. Or not so pretty, in your opinion.

LilyMarie said:
Carmita Bonita said:
"Cam girls act like they're owed tips because of how totally amazing and awesome they are, and when they get them, they don't appreciate them."
This is quite a huge generalization about cam girls when I can just browse a camsite and find tons of girls who smile and say "Thank you" when they're tipped.
Yeah, I don't get where this whole myth about those tons of camgirls who don't appreciate tips even came from. :shock: I mean, browsing a site and finding a camgirl who doesn't thank the guys who tip her is pretty damn rare, I would say.

Joeternal said:
You can't just log on and demand tips. Which is what a lot of models increasingly do.
You mean they log on, offer no services or goods in their topic and demand tips? Where are those models? I can't find them. In no camscore or Miss MFC rank range.
This is what I don't get. You're making it sound as if camgirls who want "money for nothing" are the majority, while they're actually the small minority, if not non-existent. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single model who logs on, has no services to offer, and expects tips just for being on cam and looking pretty. Or not so pretty, in your opinion.

I'll admit to seeing one camgirl who WAS off her rocker not so much demanding, but threatening members for not tipping (not a joke with both a knife and a gun. She was telling them she was going to hunt all the non-tippers down...I haven't seen her I assume she was banned), but yeah not often do I see the attitude of "Omg I'm so awesome why not tip me?" gets tipped 1000 tokens (flat voiced) "Oh thanks, yeah I guess that was sweet or whatever".

That or maybe I just can sense I won't like the camgirl, and leave before it happens anyway. :lol:

I think most of what I wanted to say upon reading your words was said by the girls. This job requires a lot of confidence which may come off sometimes as cockiness, but you NEED a back bone to survive in this industry. You'll find a lot of girls are actually really self conscious and happen to put on a great act on cam. Compliments may inflate one's opinion of themselves, but how is that wrong? Everyone has their own way of dealing with things, everyone has their own way of presenting themselves. If you don't like confident girls then (as someone else stated) either go to the back pages where girls are new and not "inflated yet" or simply stick to "real life" girls which I'm sure is so easy for you to get.

I'm sure you can say the same thing about strippers right? "Oh that stripper up there on that pole is SO cocky with her moves, she thinks she deserves my tips just because she's gotten better since she started. No way she's going to have to earn this tip". Keep saying that while everyone around her is tipping her because whether she "deserves" it or not, THAT'S the business.

I barely cam on MFC, my main site is Streamate so it's a bit different, BUT I will say that as a model if you don't log in "expecting" to get tipped for how "awesome" you are, then you're in the wrong business. As a member if you don't log in expecting to tip then you're at the wrong site or need to venture elsewhere. Because as a lot of people like to hide it, this IS a business, it IS our job, we work for tips, and YOU provide the tips. If that's too hard to swallow then get out of cam world. Period.

'Tis the nature of the beast, innit. I don't think it follows that any cam girl who enjoys any degree of success develops feelings of entitlement and superiority, but I don't think it's at all surprising that attractive people who are paid hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars for their looks and their personality each and every week; who are told day in and day out by literally hundreds of strangers that they're beautiful, that they're perfect; who are backed by dozens and dozens of people in every argument, every conflict they find themselves in, who are thought of so highly by people that they're even paid and showered with gifts when they're not working... I don't think it's surprising that some of these girls develop some of the character traits that the OP mentions.

Entitled, ungrateful models definitely exist. But the good news is that you don't have to tip them. You don't even have to visit them, ya know? My advice would be to just focus on the models that you enjoy yourself in the company of, and don't dwell on the ones that inspire these feelings of bitterness and resentment. And if you can't find any models who make you happy, then there must be more productive uses of your time, money and energies, yo :twocents-02cents:

Pretty is as pretty does, but if using camsites is making you feel this way, it might be time for a break.

mynameisbob84 said:
I don't think it follows that any cam girl who enjoys any degree of success develops feelings of entitlement and superiority, but I don't think it's at all surprising that attractive people who are paid hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars for their looks and their personality each and every week; who are told day in and day out by literally hundreds of strangers that they're beautiful, that they're perfect; who are backed by dozens and dozens of people in every argument, every conflict they find themselves in, who are thought of so highly by people that they're even paid and showered with gifts when they're not working... I don't think it's surprising that some of these girls develop some of the character traits that the OP mentions.

That's a decent summary. Honestly, there are only a handful of models I've ever seen camming that made me think, "wow, she is incredibly hot". Usually those are Eastern European or Russian, don't speak very good English, and disappear after a short period of time. Fashion models who are struggling to make ends meet. The MFC Top 20 (even top 100) every month is full of average, slightly above average, and slightly below average women when it comes to looks, who think they're supermodels.

Entitled, ungrateful models definitely exist. But the good news is that you don't have to tip them. You don't even have to visit them, ya know?

Thanks for the advice. This thread resulted from going on MFC after having not been there for a while, browsing through several models, and having the same reaction to all of them. Therefore I left, and did not tip. ;) If I named names, I could name names that 99% of people here would probably agree with, model or user. But I'm not going to do that.

The only reason I said anything was as a heads up. Something to consider for models who may be turning off potential tippers without even knowing it.

Reactions: BritneySiren
I have it on good authority that I am indeed, the most attractive female specimen on the planet, so rest assured your tokens are going to a good place.

pg240 said:
I don't recall a tip from me -- and I've tipped a lot -- being unappreciated. Actually, I'm sometimes even amazed by how much even the smallest tips are unfailingly acknowledged and appreciated.

:liar:

Joeternal said:
Ann_Sulu said:
Autumn_LoL said:
Joeternal said:
Lilith Vine said:

You think that she's acting entitled because she wants to be paid for her job? That's the vibe I'm getting from this.

Camgirls offer a service. People should pay when they use that service.

Funny how you seem to have the member's version of the same attitude you hate. :mrgreen:

Also yes, for the camgirls who work for tips, that dance, make conversation, or make videos, pictures, social media etc for embers pleasure and convenience...yes, we feel owed something.

Let me try another analogy. You work really hard to open a restaurant. Nobody shows up. Are you going to go out in the street and start demanding people come pay you for your work? Or are you going to smile and ask nicely, and treat people well when they do come in?

Anyway, the title of the thread and the first post kind of say it all. I don't think I was unclear.
Bad analogy. Instead, say you have a restaurant. When you open, people wander in, take seats and stare at the food the paying customers have purchased, then you complain that you don't get the food you want. Eventually, the owner arrives and kicks you out.

It doesn't matter what a cam model does, if you spend more than the time you need to determine if they're "worthy" of a tip, you should tip anyway, or just leave. Or check out the room as a guest.

The problem I have with the OP is that it generalizes way too much. I've seen the behavior described, but I certainly wouldn't call it typical of cam girls. Almost all of the models I've seen who are anywhere close to successful show a reasonable amount (occasionally maybe an excessive amount) of appreciation for tips. I've almost never seen a tip go unthanked unless it was lost in a lot of scroll or happened while the model was near the height of being "busy." In both those cases, it's understandable, and I wouldn't be angry if that happened to my tip. On the handful of occasions, where I've encountered a model with an attitude I didn't like, I just got out of there and didn't come back. Okay, I might have come back once or twice to see if a particular one was always that horrible but generally not. There are more nice ones that I'd like to visit than I can manage already, so an unpleasant one doesn't get to take up my time.

On feeling entitled to tips: well, it depends what you mean by entitled. Assuming they are being entertaining in some way, they *should* get tips from the people being entertained. Projecting the attitude that they feel entitled to it isn't so great though, even though I can understand why they feel that way. Obviously, they need to put in some effort, but I would say almost all of them are doing so. It's a fine line to walk. On the one hand, tips are necessary. The models are there to make a living. On the other hand, talking about tips too much can rub members the wrong way. I don't care if it rubs members who don't tip the wrong way, but I tip without being prodded, and for me, the prodding interferes with the "just hanging out" atmosphere that I like. Still, if it's painfully slow, the model has to do something about it. There's no perfect way to handle it.

I did see one very highly ranked model that puzzled me. I watched her a few times to try to figure it out: she literally spent most of her time doing nothing but sit in her chair and take an occasional puff of her cigarette. She didn't chat at all or even type anything for most of that time. I still don't get it. She was attractive, but there are lots of models that attractive who also bust their asses to be entertaining. Dunno. Anyhow, that's the exception to the rule. It almost never works that way from what I've seen.

As to thinking they're really hot, well, I think the viewers should want them to feel that way, not in a stuck-up way but a comfortable in her skin way. A model who feels sexy will generally come across as more sexy than one who is dwelling on concerns that this or that attribute looks bad. Plus, assuming most members are there to see the hot ladies, why would they hang around with ones they find unattractive? There are certainly (at least IMO) plenty of very good-looking ones to choose from if a particular one doesn't do it for you.

With compliments, I think it's a mixed bag. I'm the way LilyMarie described: I won't give a compliment I don't believe; if I feel like I really need to find something nice to say at a given time, I'll find something I do like to compliment the person on. On the other hand, I do think there are some members who give compliments they might not totally mean just to get attention or maybe, although I think it shows when you're not sincere, just to be nice. That's not the worst thing in the world, but sometimes they go a little overboard. I'm pretty sure some people have told dozens of models that they have "the best <fill in the blank> on MFC."

I do agree with Joe that most men are trained to never say a woman looks bad when asked (I'm not talking about trolls here, I mean a regular guy being asked by a woman he likes). I won't lie about it, but I'll do everything I can to avoid answering the question if my opinion is not so positive. We're not trying to be deceitful with this; it just often ends badly if you're frank about it. The lady often takes it to heart even if she was asking seriously and not looking for a compliment. Sometimes the guy will end up in the role of the bad guy even though he didn't want to say it in the first place. This won't always happen, but it comes up so often that it's pretty much a cliche. So, you get Q: "Honey, do these jeans make my thighs look fat?" A: "Do you want to see that movie about the family that raises ducks?"

tl;dr: Squirrel used a lot of words.

Nordling said:
Bad analogy. Instead, say you have a restaurant. When you open, people wander in, take seats and stare at the food the paying customers have purchased, then you complain that you don't get the food you want. Eventually, the owner arrives and kicks you out.

It doesn't matter what a cam model does, if you spend more than the time you need to determine if they're "worthy" of a tip, you should tip anyway, or just leave. Or check out the room as a guest.

That was specifically referring to attracting paying customers. If a model does public shows, she knows there are going to be freeloaders. In that case, it still pays to not drive them away for no reason. You never know which one of them will turn into a tipper. If they start trolling, by all means ban them immediately.

Nordling said:

:clap:

This. If you've spent more than an hour in a models room and have enjoyed conversation or looking at her naked bod, you should tip. If you do this for days on end (like probably 90% of the population of MFC seems to do) and not tipped, if she gets salty it's not because she's acting entitled but because she has clocked into work and provided a free service for you without you so much as throwing a nickel her way.

It's not entitlement to expect some sort of pay for our work.

Joeternal said:
Nordling said:

That was specifically referring to attracting paying customers. If a model does public shows, she knows there are going to be freeloaders. In that case, it still pays to not drive them away for no reason. You never know which one of them will turn into a tipper. If they start trolling, by all means ban them immediately.
Yeah, don't drive them away "for no reason," but if people come in day after day without tipping, that's reason enough. People have different tastes in what they like to see. A model that you think isn't worthy of tipping may be highly valued by someone else. It's called "tastes." Enjoy the models you like, and tip them. When you don't like a particular room, just leave, don't complain about it. Someone else may adore them.

SexyStephXS said:
Nordling said:

:clap:

This. If you've spent more than an hour in a models room and have enjoyed conversation or looking at her naked bod, you should tip. If you do this for days on end (like probably 90% of the population of MFC seems to do) and not tipped, if she gets salty it's not because she's acting entitled but because she has clocked into work and provided a free service for you without you so much as throwing a nickel her way.

It's not entitlement to expect some sort of pay for our work.

I come at this from a background of entrepreneurship. Nobody owes you anything, and even non-paying fans are worth having around to generate word of mouth, "social proof" and so on. If a model chooses to get naked in public, they can't complain that there are guys who didn't tip for it. Giving away "free content" has a lot of rationale behind it. It will get you more fans, and then you have to figure out a way to monetize or "convert" those fans (convince them to spend money). If you conclude that some of those fans will never tip big, try to find ways to let them tip small amounts and feel like they're contributing.

Anyway, I didn't come here to give business advice.

Joeternal said:
. Nobody owes you anything, and even non-paying fans are worth having around to generate word of mouth, "social proof" and so on. If a model chooses to get naked in public, they can't complain that there are guys who didn't tip for it.
2 things

1) No model needs word of mouth going around that "This girl is awesome! I told her I can't tip and apparently neither could anyone else so we just sat and chatted in her room for 2 hours until she logged off cuz her countdowns didn't get finished!"

2) It's not the nudity that girls are frustrated about not getting tipped for. If that's all you're looking for I suggest encyclopedias and National Geographic

Status
Not open for further replies.