AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

A trend I've noticed lately.. "Tip XX and get my phone #!"

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2012
Have any models here done something like this? If so.. it's not your ACTUAL phone # right? Is there some kind of app or website where it creates a dummy phone number of sorts and forwards the texts or calls to your actual phone?

I've seen some cool things like, "tip XX get my draw something/words with friends/voxer name" which is fairly safe. But phone number? Surely not.

Re: A trend I've noticed lately.. "Tip XX and get my phone #

I don't do it personally, because I think it would be super annoying to have anyone call me at random hours. However, I believe most models just use burn phones.

I personally use google voice. If its a model that makes enough money and sells other phone based services - like for X tokens get a picture of her every day for a month texted to you, I would assume she just has a second phone or a cheapy disposable thing that has picture capabilities.

Give out their personal mobile? Highly unlikely. Give out the number of a $10 mobile? Highly likely. After all, you can turn it off...

But I know some models have given out their phone numbers. I don't think anyone really calls them though.

Google voice is what I've heard about being used as well. I think it would be highly inadvisable to give out a phone number you're planning on sticking with long-term unless it's someone you know very well.

Google voice for me, too.

I've sold my number about a dozen times in my 17 months. I either get the guys that text like crazy or the ones that don't text at all and I'll never understand wanting to buy someones number but never using it. :think:

Kunra9 said:
Have any models here done something like this? If so.. it's not your ACTUAL phone # right? Is there some kind of app or website where it creates a dummy phone number of sorts and forwards the texts or calls to your actual phone?

Google Voice (GV) would be good for this. You can have a Chicago, Illinois GV number even if you live in, say, California. The only number the other person will see is your Illinois GV number.

I haven't been doing the 'Tip x tokens to get my phone number' thing because I don't want the hassle of people thinking it's okay to text/call/wear down my phone battery all the time, just because they dropped a large tip on me a month ago...you know what I mean? That money is probably long gone by then anyway...lol. I guess one way to go about doing it is to say that you must tip x tokens once a month in order to continue your phone privileges for that month.

If someone tipped x tokens for your phone number back in June of 2012, and they haven't tipped you since then, yet they're blowing up your phone with texts and phone calls every damn day, you should've A) changed your GV number or B) blocked them from your GV number a long time ago. You CAN go into Google Voice and create a brand new phone number. I'm not sure if there's a limit to how many times you can change it, or if you can change it as often as you want?

But as far as saying 'Tip x tokens and get my phone number for life...PERIOD!'.....Nah, I wouldn't do it. I'd rather have it where you can just chat with me on the phone during a Streamate exclusive session or MFC true private. Or just try to win a contest where you can win a phone call from me. Or just use ExtraLunchMoney's text messaging system where you pay x credits per text.

I've noticed that the generous guys who DO spend and tip hardly ever ask for my number. It seems to be the guys who camp out in free chat (and never tip) who go around asking models for their numbers. The guys who treat cam sites and Twitter like they're dating/hook-up sites. You can even see their previous tweets to other models: "Hey ma, lookin good. Can u call me? U sexy as fuck, and I'm just tryna get to know u betta."

When I was new to MFC, I paid 1000 tokens to get a model's phone number. :woops: We texted a couple of times over the next 2 years. Somehow, looking back, it doesn't quite seem worth it.

Reactions: HiGirlsRHot

ComicOzzie said:
When I was new to MFC, I paid 1000 tokens to get a model's phone number. :woops: We texted a couple of times over the next 2 years. Somehow, looking back, it doesn't quite seem worth it.

It'd probably be nicer to hear her voice on the phone instead, right? I understand that.

Phone conversations can be cool, as long as the member doesn't start up with this kind of talk: "I'll be in your neck of the woods next month. I could stop by and take you out."

The only thing with GV, is you can't send pics through it. You can receive them, as you'll get an email with it, but you can't send them. And I would assume most members wanting a phone number would want it for pics, truthfully. I wish Google would just implement MMS support into GV, then I wouldn't ever need to give out my phone's actual number or try to get more people to use WhatsApp. I use my GV number for almost everything.

You can link GV to a WhatsApp account, though, and send pics that way, but you have to let the member know they need WhatsApp in order to use it. WhatsApp isn't free, however. On iOS it costs $1 up front. On the other phone OSes (Android/Windows Phone/Blackberry) it is free for a year, then $1 per year afterwards. So, it's hardly spending anything, but it isn't completely free. But, for international texts, it makes it free to send and receive them, and it works over WiFi. It doesn't get or make calls, though, so if you were to give it out as a WhatsApp number, you just have to let them know it can't make or get calls.

I imagine it's similar to the guys who pay to be on a friend list. Basically they're paying so they can bug you with dirty texts when they're horny. Or at least that's what they think.

UncleThursday said:
The only thing with GV, is you can't send pics through it. You can receive them, as you'll get an email with it, but you can't send them. And I would assume most members wanting a phone number would want it for pics, truthfully.

I don't mind if GV lacks the picture messaging feature, and I've never had a guy on a cam site ask for picture messaging...especially if I could just send better quality pics to him via e-mail, using my HD webcam. I used to hate trying to take a decent camera phone pic of myself. I think it's been a couple of years since I've attempted self-shot camera phone pics...lol.

The_Brown_Fox said:
UncleThursday said:
The only thing with GV, is you can't send pics through it. You can receive them, as you'll get an email with it, but you can't send them. And I would assume most members wanting a phone number would want it for pics, truthfully.

I don't mind if GV lacks the picture messaging feature, and I've never had a guy on a cam site ask for picture messaging...especially if I could just send better quality pics to him via e-mail, using my HD webcam. I used to hate trying to take a decent camera phone pic of myself. I think it's been a couple of years since I've attempted self-shot camera phone pics...lol.

True. But, we have to remember, I use GV for everything, not just cam site related stuff. :lol: A few of my friends use it for nearly everything, too. It's only when we want to send each other pics, or one of our friends wants to send us pics and get some as well that it becomes a true pain. Having to make our friends have 2 numbers for us, one to get pics from, and the other for everything else, is kind of a pain in the ass.

Other than that, I love Google Voice. I've been using it since you needed an invite from Google itself.

A model pretty much forced her number on me after I'd been in her room like, three times over the course of a month. I haven't used it cos she's American and it would cost me a bomb to call/text her. No idea if it's her regular phone number or some kind of dummy number.

mynameisbob84 said:
A model pretty much forced her number on me after I'd been in her room like, three times over the course of a month. I haven't used it cos she's American and it would cost me a bomb to call/text her. No idea if it's her regular phone number or some kind of dummy number.
Its my number, Bob. I was hoping you'd call using the Noire PI voice. :lol: :p

It could be a number with a WhatsApp account, though, Bob. If you have the app, add the number to your contacts and see if it pops up in the app. If not, then it's either her real number, or something else. WhatsApp will let you text internationally with no additional charges. I use it to text friends in Europe.

Reactions: Sevrin

I use Google Voice. Fucking looooooooveee that shit. All over it like white on rice. I picked a very popular area code. On purpose. Has fuck all to do with where I'm from. :). I have mine set so NOBODY can call me. NO incoming calls to my GV. If someone calls, it goes straight to VM. I hate talking on the phone, so that's why. Plus, I don't want to accidently answer my phone, && not know, && who knows what the other person could hear! =X. I have the GV Android app. It has a Do Not Disturb feature you can turn of for whatever amount of time, && you won't get calls or texts.

No, you cannot MMS message [picture message], but since almost everyone has an email account attached to their phone, I don't see that as a big deal. Or, if I want to send a photo directly as a MMS message to someone's phone, I send it through my email. For instance, open my email, && in the TO field, put their number, so, xxx-xxx-xxxx@vzwpix.com [here's a full list http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_gateways] && it shows up as a pic message on their phone.

I use mine to text my regs to say hey, basic chat, etc. Sometimes we have lenghty convos. It just depends. Everyone is pretty respectful, but that's also cause they know better. If someone texts me, && I'm busy, I don't reply til I feel like it, or am not busy. Also, I have my phone set to turn off all data after the screen has been off for 15 mins to save battery, so half the time I don't get texts til I've unlocked my phone as well. I had a couple people that got really annoying/needy with texting. I warned them, they kept doing it, && I cut them the fuck off. I'm talking OBSESSIVE, NON STOP BLOW UP TEXTS. && it was dumb shit, like omg I hate my life, my life sucks, I have no life, no friends, I'm fat, etc. [I don't deal well with those people. In fact, I don't deal with them @ all, in my real life, or work life. I can't do it. I have enough shit going on in my life, && I cannot play counselor like that to people that always complain, but refuse to do anything about their situations, yet neverendingly bitch/complain about that stuff]

I can also call people with my GV number showing up. I've only really "sold" my number outright to like one person. I gave it to everyone else. Everyone else being regs/people I like enough to chat with outside MFC/friends.

I blame you've got mail for the hordes of lonely men who think all they have to do is message me long enough and say the right lines, even if I tell them I don't meet people from camsites.

Still love the movie though ;)

Can you use Google Voice for free international texting or no? I know they do international calling cheap but what about international texting? I don't wanna get slapped with heavy international fees trying to send out a text or receive one from the UK or Australia lol.

MissyLuvsU said:
Can you use Google Voice for free international texting or no? I know they do international calling cheap but what about international texting? I don't wanna get slapped with heavy international fees trying to send out a text or receive one from the UK or Australia lol.

I know for sure that Canada is free (all of my family is there, I use a GV to call and text them for free), but I feel like other countries aren't supported? Or that only a limited number are? There's a rate list somewhere in the help pages. My husband calls the UK and gets charged something, not sure about texts.

MissyLuvsU said:

Nope. :(. That's what sucks about that. For internatioanl stuff, try KiK. :).

The Google Voice app on my phone says cannot send to international numbers when I try. Canada is not considered international for phones in the US, since I can send and get texts from there through my GV app.

That's why there are other, internet-only apps that do it. WhatsApp, HeyWire, Talkatone and others. A few say the other person doesn't need the app, since it will text their phone. Not sure how this affects end user costs on the free apps, though (for either the sender OR the recipient) . Whatsapp does require the other person to have the app to get or send messages with it-- if it didn't, I'd have a way easier time getting my friends to use it.

Pretty much to avoid international texting charges from whatever country you are in (since they all charge something), you need to use an internet-only app. Preferably one that works on WiFi as well (most should).

You can even configure WhatsApp to work on a phone not connected to cellular service, if you wanted. Just set up a GV number, use the GV as the number WhatsApp links to (since it does need to link to a number that can get texts) and then use the code given in the text on a cheap piece of shit Android phone phone you only use on WiFi (just read the text online). I did this when my phone had no service.

Just tell members you may not always be able to respond (IE if you aren't home) and that they need WhatsApp. I've seen a few UK models selling their WhatsApp number, so I assume they use a similar service to GV in the UK, or they have a second SIM with a cheap plan just for WhatsApp. This also prevents them from trying to call you, since, as SNATCH said, you can set your GV to not allow incoming calls.

There are ways to do it, but it's never going to be as simple as one app to rule them all (since some apps require both parties to have the app). It will take some research to find out what you prefer. Like I said, I like WhatsApp. It's cheap ($1 up front iOS, free for a year $1/year afterwards on other phone OS devices), it's super fast over WiFi, the interface is simple (it resembles iChat/iOS texting) and it will automagically add anyone in your contacts list with a WhatsApp account to your WhatsApp contacts. But, there are other apps to look at, as well.

Reactions: SNATCH

SNATCH said:
MissyLuvsU said:

Nope. :(. That's what sucks about that. For internatioanl stuff, try KiK. :).

I just installed KiK to check it out. Can you add contacts by username over people already in your contacts list? IF so, it might be a better thing for models, overall, since then no number is given out.

Of course, it would also be nice if it told me who certain people were from my contact list. I have one in there on KiK but I don not recognize her picture. And it won't tell me who she is in my contact list. At the very least, if it is someone you have their number for, it should let you see their contact information on your phone.

Reactions: SNATCH

UncleThursday said:
it will automagically add anyone in your contacts list with a WhatsApp account to your WhatsApp contacts.

This would NEVER work well for me, cause I would use WhatsApp only for MFC related stuff, && if anyone in my contacts list from my RL had a WhatsApp, then it would add them to my MFC life WhatsApp sn. :(. Yeah?

I like KiK, cause it's not attached to your phone number. It's an app you DL, can use on WiFi or 3G. You can also send pix. && it's free. It's easy as shit to use, && they're big on privacy. You can also easily block people.

http://help.kik.com/customer/portal/art ... ne-number-

Reactions: UncleThursday

UncleThursday said:
I just installed KiK to check it out. Can you add contacts by username over people already in your contacts list? IF so, it might be a better thing for models, overall, since then no number is given out.

Of course, it would also be nice if it told me who certain people were from my contact list. I have one in there on KiK but I don not recognize her picture. And it won't tell me who she is in my contact list. At the very least, if it is someone you have their number for, it should let you see their contact information on your phone.

I don't think there is actually a friends list. Recent contacts. Anyone can KiK you if they have your username. But it's so easy to block people that it doesn't bother me. If I was to use it for MFC, I wouldn't make it my MFC name for sure. You don't get to see "contact info" per se, cause there's not really profiles, like let's say how Instagram has.

Reactions: UncleThursday

SNATCH said:
UncleThursday said:
it will automagically add anyone in your contacts list with a WhatsApp account to your WhatsApp contacts.

This would NEVER work well for me, cause I would use WhatsApp only for MFC related stuff, && if anyone in my contacts list from my RL had a WhatsApp, then it would add them to my MFC life WhatsApp sn. :(. Yeah?

I like KiK, cause it's not attached to your phone number. It's an app you DL, can use on WiFi or 3G. You can also send pix. && it's free. It's easy as shit to use, && they're big on privacy. You can also easily block people.

http://help.kik.com/customer/portal/art ... ne-number-

Actually, they'd see you how they have you in their contact list, and you would see them how you have them in your contact list.

So you would see John Doe for someone in your contact list as John Doe, and they would see you as Jane Doe.

For example, I know the full name of one model I text through WhatsApp (and she knows mine), so I have her full name as her contact. So in WhatsApp, she shows up with her first and last name, just like the few RL friends I have in there that use the app. Another model I know, I only know her first name, so I have her as <hername>MFC on my phone, so she shows up in my WhatsApp as <hername>MFC.

So while there is a username you set up, it is not what appears. From http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/21230602/ :

If a contact in your phone's address book has WhatsApp, they will be displayed in the Favorites screen (WhatsApp Contacts screen for Android). In WhatsApp, you can only start a chat with contacts that are displayed in your Favorites screen.

So there's no random screen name finding or anything like that. If they don't have the number associated with WhatsApp, they can't find you. So if they WhatsApp texted you they'd just be like 'hey <yourrealname>!" As long as your profile picture was just something normal, like a normal face pic, they'd never be the wiser that it was used for cam related stuff. I'm not even sure if you'd show up for them if you linked WhatsApp to your GV number if they used your phone's actual number.

There's voice apps I use, too. Voxxer and HeyTell. Both link to your FB account, and HeyTell also links to your Twitter account. They act kind of like Nextel walkie talkies. In fact, a MFC model told me about HeyTell, though we know each other from Fling, not MFC. We'd send funny shit back and forth while we were being silly on Fling's chat and such. We're FB friends through Fling. We've even met at another model's house we both know from Fling when we went to that other model's husband's 3-day birthday bash.

But, I doubt any model would want to give out their FB info for those types of apps to random members. :lol: Plus, they'd probably get annoying if they tried to use them like Nextel and shit constantly, even if it was just through following each other on Twitter.

SNATCH said:
I don't think there is actually a friends list. Recent contacts. Anyone can KiK you if they have your username. But it's so easy to block people that it doesn't bother me. If I was to use it for MFC, I wouldn't make it my MFC name for sure. You don't get to see "contact info" per se, cause there's not really profiles, like let's say how Instagram has.

Understood. But there's two contacts in KiK that I see, that it says it got from my phone's address book, and I can't for the life of me remember who these girls are... even though the one is superiorly hot (so you'd think I would remember her :lol: ). Then again, I'm lazy removing phone numbers from my contact list. They could just be girls I met when out and got their number because I thought they were cute. Or random hokups at bars or something. Either way, we never really went back and forth much, so I honestly have no idea who they are, plus their contacts in my phone probably don't have pics on them (yes, completely my fault there, because I am dumb :p ).

But it would be nice to be able to click on them and have the ability to show me their contact information that is already in my phone. Because we all know usernames often aren't representative of how we have people in our phone books. :p And besides seeing their full contact name in WhatsApp as it appears in my phone book, I can also go right to their contact info that is on my phone from the app. This was useful when the one model went to another country for a few months so we could still text; I simply added the second number and she had 2 chats on my WhatsApp, her normal one, and the one from the other country.

mynameisbob84 said:
UncleThursday said:
Its my number, Bob. I was hoping you'd call using the Noire PI voice. :lol: :p

:p

uploader comment ftw lol:
ploaded on Jan 12, 2008
Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan Should won NOBEL Prize in Chemistry.
:sad-roulette:

Jupiter551 said:
I imagine it's similar to the guys who pay to be on a friend list. Basically they're paying so they can bug you with dirty texts when they're horny. Or at least that's what they think.

And then they get outraged when they leave the room for six months, come back, and find out they are no longer on her friends' list.

Reactions: SoTxBob

I just read somewhere that when a model uses her Google Voice (GV) number with a guy who also uses a GV number, her real number will actually show up for him. :think: The model who posted this said that's what happened to her.

The_Brown_Fox said:
I just read somewhere that when a model uses her Google Voice (GV) number with a guy who also uses a GV number, her real number will actually show up for him. :think: The model who posted this said that's what happened to her.

They could just be doing something wrong (texting from wrong number accidentally, maybe -- easy enough on my phone) or else maybe they've got their caller ID settings mixed up, because it IS an option to show your real number. But if the settings look like this it should be fine (I hope!):

Attachments

• gv.png
    gv.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 339
Status
Not open for further replies.