AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Lighting recomendations?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2014
Stuffed in a locker somewhere
So I managed to get the c920 off Amazon for 50$ recently and tested it out, but I have to admit I'm looking rather... horrid thanks to my lack of lighting. I have overhead lighting to my left and a small desk lamp, but both are yellowy tinted and no amount of playing with the contrast, brightness, and colour settings helped me get an image that wasn't either orange, washed out, or lit in all the wrong places.

Currently I only have 80$ to spend on this so if I have to wait until tax time to get better lighting I will, but does anyone have any suggestions for a good halo light or two, preferably on Amazon?

For ref here's what my current overhead lighting does for me (aka nothing). Its very yellowed which is not the look I'm going for at all.

Please excuse how stoned I look without eye makeup.

Once you get verified on the forum, there are a few threads that have great information on lighting!

For starters, ditch the overhead lighting, as it will not flatter you. As for the lamps, these are fantastic, and are pretty unanimously well-liked. They're inexpensive but work very well! Very rarely will you need to shell out HUGE for lighting, unless you are going for a specific look, or have a lot of background stuff that screws with your colours.

JoleneBrody said:
This is a pretty great little set. I use a variation of it but just added 4 bulb adapters to each.
http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Phot ... boy+studio

I have the exact one Jolene posted. 2 actually. It works great and is very bright. If you have a good space to set it up then it will work wonders and is not to expensive. If you have a very small space though then it wont work to well as it's gonna be right on you and make you look so white people will think youre a vampire.

If you have a smaller space the one Juniper posted is awesome too. But you need 2-3 of them so keep that in mind. When looking at the store or online for them just make sure to get the ones that take normal bulbs. Sometimes the cheaper medusa lamps take special bulbs like candelabra ones, stay away from those. You want normal bulbs. Then pick the right bulb in store that you want. What works for some wont work for all so that depends on your skin color, room color and such. And again if it's gonna be right on you you're not gonna wanna get 100 watt but maybe a few 40 or 60 surrounding you will look amazing.

Its a playing game as to what works but looking at your set up if youre camming right from a desk like that more than likely 2 medusa lamps on either side pointing out and a 3rd in the background would work nicely for you.

One of my viewers was super generous and got this light set for me http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GW ... UTF8&psc=1
It's more than I need in my space though, so I only use 2 of the 3 stands and only turn on 2 bulbs in each of those.

If I could easily ship the extra one to a camgirl in need I would so do it, so if you're in the states and would like to have it to play around with let me know. International shipping would be a bitch because it's kinda bulky.

You should definitely check out this thread! Great advice from Amber herself!

I use some squid lamps, which Juniper linked for ya, and they work very well! I actually have a couple snazzier lighting kits too but to be honest they're just TOO bright for my regular cam room, even at the lowest settings and turned away to bounce off of the walls. The regular lamps also have the benefit of looking pretty normal to an outsider so you can just leave them set up in the room without issue and the room tends to look a bit nicer in general in my opinion. At the start of my camming career I used ultra fancy movie lights and they got so, so hot and were such a pain to put up and take down. My vote is for squid lamps but I can understanding wanting a pro lighting kit!

I'll add that the bulbs that you use are really important!

If you're having problems with yellow, try adding some "natural light" bulbs which are more blue or "soft white" which are a bit less harsh than the natural light ones. There are awesome charts that will help you decide which bulbs to choose based on your skin tone and the right bulbs can really change your whole situation in a snap! I'd get some soft white and/or natural light bulbs and test them out!

If you have an Ikea near you, they have tall three bulb paper floor lamps for super cheap! you can also order them on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-301-841-73-H ... ZJX8PQP59B

I have had a similar style not from Ikea for years and I love them. I think mine might be a tad taller than these ones though. Either way, searching out paper floor lamps can give you a great tall light source that lights you from head to toe but also diffuses the light and creates a prettier glow.

JuniperGin said:
Once you get verified on the forum, there are a few threads that have great information on lighting!

For starters, ditch the overhead lighting, as it will not flatter you. As for the lamps, these are fantastic, and are pretty unanimously well-liked. They're inexpensive but work very well! Very rarely will you need to shell out HUGE for lighting, unless you are going for a specific look, or have a lot of background stuff that screws with your colours.

I was under the impression getting verified was for girls who were already camming, aka had their profile/website set up and everything. I'm still in the prep and research phase, can I still get verified and invade that forum?

And ha, I swear that's the exact same light set my house mate has in his room. Unfortunately I don't think he'll let me yank it.

Teagan_Chase said:
JoleneBrody said:
This is a pretty great little set. I use a variation of it but just added 4 bulb adapters to each.
http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Phot ... boy+studio

I have the exact one Jolene posted. 2 actually. It works great and is very bright. If you have a good space to set it up then it will work wonders and is not to expensive. If you have a very small space though then it wont work to well as it's gonna be right on you and make you look so white people will think youre a vampire.

If you have a smaller space the one Juniper posted is awesome too. But you need 2-3 of them so keep that in mind. When looking at the store or online for them just make sure to get the ones that take normal bulbs. Sometimes the cheaper medusa lamps take special bulbs like candelabra ones, stay away from those. You want normal bulbs. Then pick the right bulb in store that you want. What works for some wont work for all so that depends on your skin color, room color and such. And again if it's gonna be right on you you're not gonna wanna get 100 watt but maybe a few 40 or 60 surrounding you will look amazing.

Its a playing game as to what works but looking at your set up if youre camming right from a desk like that more than likely 2 medusa lamps on either side pointing out and a 3rd in the background would work nicely for you.
Yeah I'm a little worried about big professional rigs like that because of the space. I'd guess my room is only about 12x12, minus some space for the furniture and the one corner that juts out.

Thanks for all the help with bulb choice and setup and such!

AnabelleLeigh said:
One of my viewers was super generous and got this light set for me http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GW ... UTF8&psc=1
It's more than I need in my space though, so I only use 2 of the 3 stands and only turn on 2 bulbs in each of those.

If I could easily ship the extra one to a camgirl in need I would so do it, so if you're in the states and would like to have it to play around with let me know. International shipping would be a bitch because it's kinda bulky.

Oh jeez, that's ridiculously generous, but how big is it? I'm a little worried an actual lighting rig will be too much for my bedroom, as mentioned above and like Kaylee points out below with them being a little too intense for smaller spaces.

KayleePond said:
You should definitely check out this thread! Great advice from Amber herself!

I use some squid lamps, which Juniper linked for ya, and they work very well! I actually have a couple snazzier lighting kits too but to be honest they're just TOO bright for my regular cam room, even at the lowest settings and turned away to bounce off of the walls. The regular lamps also have the benefit of looking pretty normal to an outsider so you can just leave them set up in the room without issue and the room tends to look a bit nicer in general in my opinion. At the start of my camming career I used ultra fancy movie lights and they got so, so hot and were such a pain to put up and take down. My vote is for squid lamps but I can understanding wanting a pro lighting kit!

Read through the thread. Getting the right lighting seems like such a precise science. :?

Thanks for the link!

And thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.