AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

A paid webhost that allows adult content?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zippypinhead

V.I.P. AmberLander
Jan 21, 2013
Are there any webhosts out there that I can use to build a personal website containing pinups and adult comics. Looking around, it's hard to get a straight answer about how "adult" the content can be through big hosts like Wix or Squarespace. I figured here would be a good place to ask, since so many folks here are so knowledgeable about conducting adult content business.

Are there any webhosts out there that I can use to build a personal website containing pinups and adult comics. Looking around, it's hard to get a straight answer about how "adult" the content can be through big hosts like Wix or Squarespace. I figured here would be a good place to ask, since so many folks here are so knowledgeable about conducting adult content business.

It sounds like you want something that offers an easy templated system, as opposed to creating your own website from scratch? I don't know of anything quite like Wix or Squarespace, but there are definitely adult-friendly hosts that can automate installation of WordPress and other solutions, if that's something you can work with.

I have no idea to what extent Wix or Squarespace themselves allow adult content. I think it's allowed on Wix, but Squarespace not so much? But I would personally not trust that content to stay permitted on any service like that, and I'm sure migrating would be a pain in the butt.

I've been using Dreamhost for many of my websites for years, and while I'm kind of looking to move away from them for some of my own needs, they might fit yours? Any content legal in the United States is cool with them. Their WordPress hosting info: https://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?633069/wordpress/ (that's a referral link--for you or anyone else feeling generous. But this one works, too https://www.dreamhost.com/wordpress)

They have an actual site builder that I really know very little about and have never tried, but that you can learn about here: https://www.dreamhost.com/website-builder/

I know many models here have used hostgator.com, which is also adult-friendly, but there were some issues with private whois information becoming public? Maybe someone who used or still uses that host can comment, or knows about their other features. They seem to have both WordPress and site builder features available as well.

I know many models here have used hostgator.com, which is also adult-friendly, but there were some issues with private whois information becoming public?
Yep, they undid the WhoIs protection on several models accounts (and who knows who else’s). Fuuuuuuck HostGator. They were rude and unhelpful too, and I had a hell of a time cancelling my service with them, even when the term was up. I highly suggest avoiding them.

Yep, they undid the WhoIs protection on several models accounts (and who knows who else’s). Fuuuuuuck HostGator. They were rude and unhelpful too, and I had a hell of a time cancelling my service with them, even when the term was up. I highly suggest avoiding them.

Yep, when I was using a hosted provider, I used GKG as my registrar and then used 1and1 or other providers for web. But, I wasn't hosting adult content.

Thanks for the replies, @Lintilla @Gen & @ForceTen.

The extent of my knowledge of webpage design ends at basic HTML, so something that allows for existing templates or drag-and-drop design is definitely a big plus. My needs are pretty simple. I just want to be able to house my content with my brand attached, and maybe sell some merch without getting booted for a "female presenting nipples" situation. If I do go with Dreamhost, I'll be sure to throw a referral your way. Wordpress compatibility is a definite plus.

I've read less than glowing reviews of HostGator while looking around, so it's good to get some more input on why to avoid it.

Yep, when I was using a hosted provider, I used GKG as my registrar and then used 1and1 or other providers for web. But, I wasn't hosting adult content.

Nor I, but 1&1 are (were) Germans so they probably don't care about nipples. Very clear and quick responses, including when I cancelled - no begging or passing me off to another 'account executive'. Just 'ok, that's closed, goodbye'. Cheap, efficient even with PHP setups and never had an issue. But these days I'd just self host.

Wordpress is super simple to set up on any hosting provider you use. MUST keep it updated though. And plugins(extensions? Forget what they call them) are like adding apps to a phone, at your own risk.

Have a friend who uses Wordpress.com's free blogging, he does pinups a couple times a week. Nothing more graphic, mixed blog of his interests. Never had a problem so far - I'd suggest start there, see if it works. If you need to make it more complex, then you'll be more familiar with Wordpress and extensions(?) they vet to make it work how you like.

• Helpful!
Reactions: zippypinhead
I don't know what your budget is, but Mojohost (mojohost.com) is one of the biggest in adult hosting.
And most European hosters don't care about adult, so those are an option too.

• Helpful!
I forgot to add another notion.
I f you have a liking to a content management system like Wix or Weebly, the Centro platform provides to more than just models, photographers, writers, artists etc, are using their CMS too.
I essentially prefer to battle with Wordpress, because it's easier to change hosting, and even sell the domain and website later on. By the way, with regards to your killer artistic talents, what came out of the intro I made you with Sara from Zuzana Designs?

• Helpful!
Thanks for more input. I'm not looking to get too deep into looking for hosting, since all I'm talking about is a personal website. It doesn't have to be adult-content specific -- more just adult-content friendly. As far as formats go, Wordpress does seem to be the most logical choice for its versatility and wide use across different hosts, and given the strong history it has with webcomic and art gallery themes. And, looking into it, it seems that Wordpress as a host is fine with erotic material. I may just start there, to see what I can come up with.

By the way, with regards to your killer artistic talents, what came out of the intro I made you with Sara from Zuzana Designs?

Unfortunately, I had never received a response from her.

HostGator is known for being "cool" with adult media. It also helps that they're one of the biggest web hosts. I used them to build my wife's femdom website and utilized Wordpress as my CMS. I bought their business package as I am building multiple websites for my many different studios. So the hosting, domain registration, and the Wordpress template+plugins cost me less than $250.

BTW, whichever host you go with, make sure you use privacy protection on your account identity - most personal adult websites don't and you can easily look up the URL on certain domain registrar sites and see full names, phone numbers, addresses and everything. I see this on SO many Dom/mes' and models' personal sites. It costs like $15 to obfuscate all of that info.

Here's the website I built (note that it is not finished - I've only just built the platform and foundation thus far).

Status
Not open for further replies.