AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Amazon wishlist privacy

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firehaven

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
Feb 18, 2013
I have a couple questions before I share my Amazon wishlist. Will they be able to see any of my information? Email, name, address, or anything else? I changed my name and email to the one I use for MFC but I just want to make sure that they cannot see my address before I provide a link to my wishlist.

firehaven said:
I have a couple questions before I share my Amazon wishlist. Will they be able to see any of my information? Email, name, address, or anything else? I changed my name and email to the one I use for MFC but I just want to make sure that they cannot see my address before I provide a link to my wishlist.

Do not share it if you are worried about this.

Get a po box in a close city that's not your own, and then add an alias that can accept mail there. Put that as your address on your wishlist.

Otherwise, don't put an address on your wishlist, and have them email you a gift card for the price of the item + $10 for shipping (cause some places have really high for even regular mail).

LadyLuna said:
Do not share it if you are worried about this.

Get a po box in a close city that's not your own, and then add an alias that can accept mail there. Put that as your address on your wishlist.

Otherwise, don't put an address on your wishlist, and have them email you a gift card for the price of the item + $10 for shipping (cause some places have really high for even regular mail).

Okay thank you. I see a lot of models share their amazon wishlist, and I dont know how they do it without risking exposure of their address. I've never shared a wishlist or anything before.

There is a setting on Amazon.ca where you can choose not to show your address to the sender, but it does not extend to 3rd party shippers, so they may still see your address.
I have a PO box and it works really well for me.
But I still tell people I prefer amazon gift cards.

I use a fake name, and my city is a bigger city with lots of offsets, so I'm not horribly worried.

For those who have received gifts, do you get the member's address listed on an invoice?

I have many times seen the invoice. It lists my name and address. I use my stage name as the name and rent a mailbox. If I did not, the person buying me the present would be able to see my info. Most companies send them a copy of the invoice or a confirmation email that shows the gift recipient's info.

The best plan is to rent a mailbox. Most post offices won't accept packages that are set via ups or fedex but a mailbox rental place gives you an actual street address and will sign for your packages. This street address can be used for all of your business mail and even for your 2257 requirements.

Never put your legal name on anything a customer can see. Yet another reason to also avoid paypal. Customers who send you payments through paypal get your legal name and street address. Besides the fact that paypal will freeze your account if they find out you used it for anything even remotely adult related. They sometimes confiscate the money too.

Hope this helps!

ReynaMae said:
Never put your legal name on anything a customer can see. Yet another reason to also avoid paypal. Customers who send you payments through paypal get your legal name and street address.

Could you tell me what circumstances you're talking about where you've seen peoples real names and addresses when sending payments through paypal? I've recently sent money to a few models, in the U.S. and Canada, and have never seen any personal information. As far back as I can remember buying off EBAY and using Paypal (premiere merchant account) I've never seen any. Just to confirm I went and checked a few for each year back to Sept. 2000. All I got was info like this. (used the most recent one for example)

I double checked a new transaction using credit card method. And it didn't show any personal info either. I don't think paypal gives out addresses when you send money. It's only if you're set up as a merchant and people send YOU money do you see addresses, and that's because you would have to be able to ship product somewhere.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 4_1_2013 , 9_33_53 PM.jpg
    Screenshot - 4_1_2013 , 9_33_53 PM.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 369
  • Screenshot - 4_1_2013 , 9_43_35 PM.jpg
    Screenshot - 4_1_2013 , 9_43_35 PM.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 369
I've had members in the past (years ago when I used paypal) send me payment for a show through msn or skype and then email me and say "Oh I didn't know your real name is *********. that's cool!" and then I had to come up with something like "Well technically it's my webmaster's account but she lets me use it" which probably wasn't fooling anyone. LOL

If I could get into my old account that got suspended, I could show you. I think it depends on the payment method? Have heard many other girls talk about this though in the few years since I lost my paypal account. Perhaps one of them will see this and chime in?

For shows and payments for panties, etc, I just now have them send me an amazon email gift certificate. It's instant and since I use my stage name and a rented mailbox for my amazon info, it's anonymous. And who of us doesn't seem to always need something from amazon? LOL

Yep, Rayna is correct. I had it happen twice and stopped using paypal, this was a few years ago when I first started.

Ive also seen the senders full name too. I haven't had a paypal for quite sometime so I cant remember exactly how but this is something to avoid. Paypal isn't safe for many reasons.

Apparently setting up a business paypal account will help avoid it, which is probably how you hadn't seen their name and info Jerry :twocents-02cents:

AnaVictoriaXO said:
Yep, Rayna is correct. I had it happen twice and stopped using paypal, this was a few years ago when I first started.

Ive also seen the senders full name too. I haven't had a paypal for quite sometime so I cant remember exactly how but this is something to avoid. Paypal isn't safe for many reasons.

Apparently setting up a business paypal account will help avoid it, which is probably how you hadn't seen their name and info Jerry :twocents-02cents:

That may be the difference. I went to the business membership immediately on paypal when i signed up.

It works both ways. I just don't want my information "out there" and just would never send anything anywhere which wasn't fool-proof. The overwhelming majority of the girls are good people, no doubt. All it takes is one whacko or one has a boyfriend/'manager' to take advantage of the opportunity.

Reactions: emptiedglass
Eddie77 said:
It works both ways. I just don't want my information "out there" and just would never send anything anywhere which wasn't fool-proof. The overwhelming majority of the girls are good people, no doubt. All it takes is one whacko or one has a boyfriend/'manager' to take advantage of the opportunity.

Something I've never really been afraid of. (for reasons see postings in the super long Gun Thread) ;)

I've only had one thing ever purchased for me from my wishlist, and it said the person's name but didn't give his address.

I am willing to be your guinea pig if anyone wants to buy some of the mythology/folklore books that are all over my wishlist! :lol:

My concerns are far less about physical harm than they are about things like identity theft or blackmail. After all, even though we don't like to air this particular dirty laundry around here, it's not as if cam world is known for being run by the most scrupulous or even legally legitimate businessmen. I don't know who is behind most of the studios out there, and who knows who is receiving packages once they leave the Amazon warehouse. All I can do is take the model's word that it'll be her. I'd sure hate to have my life ruined because I treated a girl to a new outfit.

I guess all I can do is use a dummy address and hope that it's not actually listed on any receiver's invoice.

Reactions: emptiedglass
I just wanted to say that Amazon is exceedingly clear that if you use the Amazon Marketplace those third party sellers may leak your info.
Look at a wishlist and select Show list Profile, then Update List Profile.
Huge warning about third party shipping. You can check or not check "Yes, let Amazon.com share my wish list shipping address with third-party merchants to ship purchases from this wish list." You then have to make sure to only add things shipped by amazon or your gift giver will be frustrated.

So that leaves me wondering if people are concerned about an old issue that Amazon now has well in hand.

I agree that the wishlist does give away name and city.
I haven't asked my friend if that is her real name, but I assume it is. The city was in her profile already.
I also haven't asked if my details are given out by the shipper.

Anyway, first time poster and a member not a model. So what do I know.
I just wanted to relay my experience.

--swarles

Amazon will show the city and state of the address you provide and whatever name you put to anyone who views your wishlist. I am ok with that because I live in a highly populated area and I don't put my real name on the account. And I only give out the link to certain people who I know are going to buy something off it so no random lurkers can get to it. When you are shopping for items, though, you can scroll down to 'sellers' on the left hand side and click 'amazon.com' to filter out 3rd party sellers. only add things to your wishlist that are sold by amazon.com because they are the only seller that guarantees your personal information won't be shared. Also, when the package comes, if you need to sign for it, don't sign with your real name.

Fyi the fact that Amazon doesn't release your address doesn't matter - the purchaser can easily get your street address from UPS by using the tracking number. I had a chat conversation with a UPS representative about it just now:

Initial Question: Tracking and street addresses - privacy concern
James T.: Hi, this is James T.. I'll be happy to assist you.
Me: Hello
Me: I have a question about privacy
Me: Is it possible for someone to get my street address if they have a tracking number for a package going to my house?
James T.: We can verify the address for the ship to, if they provide us the tracking number.
James T.: But can not track packages via the address.
James T.: Only the shipper and the receiver and a third party should have access to a Tracking number for security purposes.
Me: Ok, that's what I was asking. You will give them my street address if they have a tracking number.
Me: Amazon doesn't give out addresses from wishlists, but I've heard people can get the address from you guys via the tracking number
James T.: Yes, if someone calls, and can provide a tracking number, then they should only be either the shipper or receiver in most cases, and as such we can verify the address.
Me: That's what I was trying to confirm
James T.: Do you have any other questions?
Me: No, that was it
Me: Thanks so much!

SinScarlett said:
Fyi the fact that Amazon doesn't release your address doesn't matter - the purchaser can easily get your street address from UPS by using the tracking number. I had a chat conversation with a UPS representative about it just now:

Me: Is it possible for someone to get my street address if they have a tracking number for a package going to my house?
James T.: We can verify the address for the ship to, if they provide us the tracking number.
James T.: Only the shipper and the receiver and a third party should have access to a Tracking number for security purposes.
Me: Ok, that's what I was asking. You will give them my street address if they have a tracking number.
Me: Amazon doesn't give out addresses from wishlists, but I've heard people can get the address from you guys via the tracking number
James T.: Yes, if someone calls, and can provide a tracking number, then they should only be either the shipper or receiver in most cases, and as such we can verify the address.
:lol: Amazon does not provide a tracking number to the buyer.

Wendsor said:
SinScarlett said:

Yes it does... One of my regulars purchased me a tripod off my wishlist recently and was able to track it because I didn't receive tracking info on it. I use a P.O. box in Las Vegas so even if he wanted to stalk me he couldn't, but yes, the buyer does get tracking info. (krukstyle can come confirm this.)

Reactions: krukstyle
Just another word of warning, if you have kindle products on your wishlist and someone buys them for you, they'll get your kindle information (whatever you named your kindle and whatever name you have it registered to.)

I found this out with the help of the lovely DoctorVen. She got a few chuckles off what I named my kindle. :lol:

Kickaz said:
Do you have to have an amazon account for e gift cards too or can they just send you one if they only have your email?

A person can buy an Amazon gift card and get a code that can be printed up in a nice looking card. That can be given physically to anyone without ever knowing if that person even has an Amazon account (they would have to create one to use it of course). So if someone wants to buy you one you don't need to have a wishlist at all. You can just tell people buy the gift card and MFC mail you the code. That way they don't even get your gmail address.

SexyStephXS said:
Wendsor said:
SinScarlett said:

Yes it does... One of my regulars purchased me a tripod off my wishlist recently and was able to track it because I didn't receive tracking info on it. I use a P.O. box in Las Vegas so even if he wanted to stalk me he couldn't, but yes, the buyer does get tracking info. (krukstyle can come confirm this.)

Yep. Definitely received a tracking number for this tripod. Was able to track it for Steph as it slowly crawled through various cities in the US on the way to her P.O. box. I'm pretty sure the tracking information that I actually looked at was general (it's destination was Las Vegas), but had I actually called up UPS/FedEx I'm relatively confident that I would've been provided the address (I worked for UPS part-time for 4 years--and can't really see how the shipper would know they were not supposed to reveal/release such information). So my advice would be to get a very remote PO Box (like Steph's) or to avoid the process altogether if you are concerned. Even if your address isn't always trackable--it only takes one phone call, email, etc. with one incompetent/uninformed employee involved in the shipping process to potentially put you in a very bad position--and I just can't see it being worth it--especially considering the safer alternatives already mentioned within the posts of this thread. :twocents-02cents:

JerryBoBerry said:
Kickaz said:
Do you have to have an amazon account for e gift cards too or can they just send you one if they only have your email?

A person can buy an Amazon gift card and get a code that can be printed up in a nice looking card. That can be given physically to anyone without ever knowing if that person even has an Amazon account (they would have to create one to use it of course). So if someone wants to buy you one you don't need to have a wishlist at all. You can just tell people buy the gift card and MFC mail you the code. That way they don't even get your gmail address.

It's also important to redeem the code immediately. If unredeemed the buyer can take it back. That doesn't mean you need to buy anything, you just have to apply it to your account.

That's really really scary about the tracking thing. To be honest scary enough that although I think all girls should know this, I kind of wish you hadn't said it in the public forum as now anyone who looks at this thread will have that info. It sounds just ridiculously easy too.

Paypal gives out your real name. There is no privacy thing you can do to change this. Unless you have a really common name it's not worth the risk.

Amazon just gives out the name you choose. I wouldn't always assume a name on amazon is a girls real name. A camgirl trick is to have a second fake name that sounds like a real name so if anyone comes across it they'll think they came across the real thing. Which'd throw off and satisfy potential stalkers.

Rose said:
Just another word of warning, if you have kindle products on your wishlist and someone buys them for you, they'll get your kindle information (whatever you named your kindle and whatever name you have it registered to.)

I found this out with the help of the lovely DoctorVen. She got a few chuckles off what I named my kindle. :lol:

I can just imagine what you called it... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.