AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Anarchism, Libertarianism, etc...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justjoinedtopost

I did bad things, privileges revoked!
In the Dog House
Feb 23, 2015
They would respect who paid them, yes, just as they should. And so long as what they're paid for doesn't violate the rights of others, it's entirely fair game. The principles here don't have to HAVE everyone 'respect liberty and freedom' on a conceptual basis, it simply creates incentives that doing so is the most profitable.
So the only respect of freedom and liberty would be market driven? Freedom and liberty aren't moral absolutes, just things we should view in light of their profitability at any given moment?
I'm assuming, in this, we have a general agreed upon view of what corruption is.........Without a state, there is not much left to be corrupt about.
Are you saying that corruption can only exist within the state?

I'm on my phone so quoting is difficult, but in response to why don't libertarians move somewhere else if they're being oppressed: why doesn't everybody who doesn't agree with how things are run now just move somewhere else?
Two different times I have brought up scenarios during discussions about this IRL. It was explained to me that this is what the free market in action looks like. If a business starts shitting on the community it serves (comprised of free individuals), they would be free to leave. The business would then be forced to restrain itself out of concern for its profits. Of course, this was two separate dogmatic individuals. No idea if it represents the ideology as a whole.

Besides, if you are enslaved, being violently robbed, and held for ransom, given the numerous travel options available to modern man, wouldn't escape seem to be a common sense solution?
There's a city in India, called Auroville, and it's got some pretty cool or maybe at least interesting ideas. Their website says..
Never heard of it until your post. Would love to know more.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...nity_struggles_with_crime_and_corruption.html

Corruption can be had without the state, but outside of the state, it at least has the state to answer to. When the state is corrupt, it is a far more complicated matter in trying to find the root of the corruption and try to figure out ways around it, which often results in ever more policies with more consequences.

Free market is interesting, mostly because what we think of as one isn't free at all; it's tightly regulated and lobbied. Take for instance, drugs. The regulations needed to run a lab for prescriptions has been provided kindly by the prescription companies themselves via lobbyists. It's not hard to make these drugs. Plenty of labs are capable. But to actually enter the business as a competitor is practically impossible, and once you factor in patent laws, game over. So we have these easily manufactured drugs that are bankrupting the poor bastards who need them.

Consumers have all the power. Without their decision to support companies, these companies cannot exist. If the people of a community need something, someone is going to provide it. And if they need it cheaper, someone is going to find a way to sell it cheaper. The providers are motivated by money, plain and simple, which is great because I trust someone's desire to earn profit far more than I trust in someone's desire to be charitable.

It's not a company's job to provide Liberty, and it never has been. But being able to sell what they like, and for someone to purchase what they want from them, is an act of Liberty in itself.

Edited to add: everybody should be able to relocate themselves where they like, and try to support it being the best version of itself it can be. The logic of "if you don't like it, leave" is impractical, considering visas and people's personal situations, but it also implies that those jailed for marijuana use should have just moved to a country where it was legal and so on. It's important to remember that the government is supposed to serve the people and is in fact made up of the people. We are the consumers, yes, but we are also stock holders with a vested interest in the company.

Last edited:
Also, I found a couple of resources that look like they will be helpful in understanding libertarianism:

Cato Institute: Key Concepts of Libertarianism (one page, easy reading)
This description of Libertarianism I am happy to go along with for the most part. It sounds much more benign than the right-libertarian fanaticism I am familiar with.

The description I am happy with. I am also mindful of its source.

This description of Libertarianism I am happy to go along with for the most part. It sounds much more benign than the right-libertarian fanaticism I am familiar with.

True... Cato is a mainstream think tank, and they're extensively quoted and covered by the MSM. I imagine that they're on the moderate part of the libertarian spectrum.

Corruption can be had without the state, but outside of the state, it at least has the state to answer to. When the state is corrupt, it is a far more complicated matter in trying to find the root of the corruption and try to figure out ways around it, which often results in ever more policies with more consequences.

Free market is interesting, mostly because what we think of as one isn't free at all; it's tightly regulated and lobbied. Take for instance, drugs. The regulations needed to run a lab for prescriptions has been provided kindly by the prescription companies themselves via lobbyists. It's not hard to make these drugs. Plenty of labs are capable. But to actually enter the business as a competitor is practically impossible, and once you factor in patent laws, game over. So we have these easily manufactured drugs that are bankrupting the poor bastards who need them.

Consumers have all the power. Without their decision to support companies, these companies cannot exist. If the people of a community need something, someone is going to provide it. And if they need it cheaper, someone is going to find a way to sell it cheaper. The providers are motivated by money, plain and simple, which is great because I trust someone's desire to earn profit far more than I trust in someone's desire to be charitable.

It's not a company's job to provide Liberty, and it never has been. But being able to sell what they like, and for someone to purchase what they want from them, is an act of Liberty in itself.

Edited to add: everybody should be able to relocate themselves where they like, and try to support it being the best version of itself it can be. The logic of "if you don't like it, leave" is impractical, considering visas and people's personal situations, but it also implies that those jailed for marijuana use should have just moved to a country where it was legal and so on. It's important to remember that the government is supposed to serve the people and is in fact made up of the people. We are the consumers, yes, but we are also stock holders with a vested interest in the company.
Some of what you have described with regards to libertarianism I agree with. Limiting government, reducing taxes, the impact of regulations, etc...; I don't believe a completely free unregulated market is always for the better though. Should we dismantle the corrupted state, then allow those who corrupted it to run wild? That sounds like what I have heard advocated in much of the right-libertarian/Rand-bs I have been exposed too.

Yes, it may be impractical logic to suggest "if you don't like it, leave" to someone unhappy with the way things are. It is probably just as impractical to suggest that consumers have all the power, since situations crop up where deciding not to support a company may be equally as inconvenient. And when you consider the profit potential of controlling a market, there is considerable motivation for businesses to work towards that end.

I am not a big fan of hearing the "Like it or gtfo"; I don't seriously suggest that to anybody concerned with improving, or even debating how to improve the situation. I do suggest fleeing to anyone enduring slavery, regular violent theft, or being held for ransom.

....I am not a big fan of hearing the "Like it or gtfo"; I don't seriously suggest that to anybody concerned with improving, or even debating how to improve the situation. I do suggest fleeing to anyone enduring slavery, regular violent theft, or being held for ransom.

I agree. I can't remember if I've made such an unqualified peremptory statement in the other thread. If I did, I apologize. What I mean to say is that you should consider leaving if you simply cannot accept the conditions in which you find yourself, and there is no real prospect for change. Something like taxes? Nobody likes them; everyone complains about them, but nobody seems to be leaving the country because of them. I'd assume that this is because most everyone falls somewhere on the spectrum of "I'm generally OK with my taxes; I can see that they're necessary" to the other extreme, "My taxes are much too high and they're largely wasted, but I can see that there is the prospect of change. And besides, with all that, I'm still better off here than anywhere else."

What I do object to is when people complain about their taxes as if they were imposed on them by royal edict or an occupying hostile force, and therefore consider the taxes illegitimate. They may be unjust or unfair, but they're not illegitimate. My direct affirmative assent is not needed for anything the government does, unless it's for something that affects only me, such as consenting to a search of my home or car.

I'm glad you posted this. I touched on it a bit in the other thread, but I find it harmful when libertarians engage with those who aren't familiar with the party on an extremist level. It's not anarchy, and the party really suffers from this approach that completely delegitimizes it. Unfortunately it's very common.

There are people all over the spectrum, and certainly anarchists are drawn to libertarianism and vice versa because of the common smaller government.

Some of what you have described with regards to libertarianism I agree with. Limiting government, reducing taxes, the impact of regulations, etc...; I don't believe a completely free unregulated market is always for the better though. Should we dismantle the corrupted state, then allow those who corrupted it to run wild? That sounds like what I have heard advocated in much of the right-libertarian/Rand-bs I have been exposed too.

Yes, it may be impractical logic to suggest "if you don't like it, leave" to someone unhappy with the way things are. It is probably just as impractical to suggest that consumers have all the power, since situations crop up where deciding not to support a company may be equally as inconvenient. And when you consider the profit potential of controlling a market, there is considerable motivation for businesses to work towards that end.

I am not a big fan of hearing the "Like it or gtfo"; I don't seriously suggest that to anybody concerned with improving, or even debating how to improve the situation. I do suggest fleeing to anyone enduring slavery, regular violent theft, or being held for ransom.
I think individuals should be held accountable for their actions, just like under any other law.

Another concept to look up is "Voluntaryism". It's the idea that without mandates, those that support specific ideals would voluntarily work to see them implemented. It's the idea that good things can happen without mandates, and if they can't happen without mandates, it's because the people themselves don't want it.

To the point of "Why don't they just move to a place they're not being repressed?" ~ That's the same as saying; "Why Don't Sanders supporters move to a place with single-payer, free college and everything else they want?". Show me the Libertarian Paradise (don't say Somalia) and I'd totally be there.

I love debating Republicans about "free markets". A "free market", in the Libertarian, Anarchism, Voluntaryism point-of-view is pretty much when one is able to provide value and get compensated accordingly for it. Business licensing, regulation, complex tax code (or the tax code in general), subsidies (another word for "Cronyism"), intellectual property laws and all that go against what most people in the Freedom Movement would consider "free markets".

In the Republican version, however, the fact that a corporation can buy out a company for their intellectual property rights and suppress a technology so nobody can compete with them is totally "free". The fact that big oil is getting subsidies is perfectly fine, as long as it's not those "bullshit liberal subsidies". Marijuana being sold? Let's forget about the 10th Amendment we preach and block states from legally selling what voted for!

Democrats, on the other hand, feel that we need more regulation in place to keep big corporations in line. What they don't realize is that those corporations thrive more under big government. When it's more difficult for people to compete with them on a national / global level, as they don't have the team of lawyers and accountants needed to navigate everything, those corporations basically have a monopoly on everything. Aside from that, the assumption with these regulations is that there's no cronyism behind them in the first place. Not the case. Never the case.

Truth is, the 2-party system = Cronyism. Each side just bends over to their respective group of donors. A common argument against Libertarianism is that "The corporations will be left with no power checks and will run out of control!" Well if that's the case, Why aren't they supporting Libetarian candidates? They seem to support the candidates that would provide the best environment for them to profit in, so apparently Libertarians aren't those people.

And with that.....

I hate to bring up Kokesh, as there's many people that believe he's psyops. Regardless of how you feel about it (I'm on the fence, have seen some compelling evidence supporting this claim though) his Freedom publication is pretty powerful.

So, feel free to check it out. Goes into the concept of Volyntaryism quite a bit. One of those things you can have the YT player playing in the background while doing other kinds of work. Worth checking out:

This is going to be a huge post...

So the only respect of freedom and liberty would be market driven? Freedom and liberty aren't moral absolutes, just things we should view in light of their profitability at any given moment?

You're sort of missing the point. Freedom and liberty are the ideals. Society set up on those principles thus naturally defaults to one based on free exchange and voluntary associations. The point is that the best way to preserve t hose ideals is via market pressures. The point is that if not everyone supports the ideals, the best way to coopt them it to just make it so doing so is the most profitable.

Are you saying that corruption can only exist within the state?

No, I'm saying that corruption is inherent to the state, but not exclusive to the state, and the size and nature of the state attracts and even incentivizes corruption in a way that doesn't exist without the state.

Two different times I have brought up scenarios during discussions about this IRL. It was explained to me that this is what the free market in action looks like. If a business starts shitting on the community it serves (comprised of free individuals), they would be free to leave. The business would then be forced to restrain itself out of concern for its profits. Of course, this was two separate dogmatic individuals. No idea if it represents the ideology as a whole.

Besides, if you are enslaved, being violently robbed, and held for ransom, given the numerous travel options available to modern man, wouldn't escape seem to be a common sense solution?

The faulty premise to the question implies that somehow we should be forced to leave and give up our property because the state is oppressive. It shifts the onus onto those who are under the thumb rather than recognizing the acts of the person doing it. The second fact is: no where else is better, so there is no where to flee to. You can't escape the state. Even if you wanted, it actually costs money to renounce citizenship, on the order of thousands of dollars, so even that is not some sort of escape.

The flaw here is implying that they will 'run wild.' It's not that these humans are unique bad, they're just responding to the pressures and avenues open to them. In a way, I don't FAULT a company for engaging in corrupt practices with the state because market pressures created by the state demands they do so. In short, they MUST engage in such behavior because if they don't, another company will a drive them out of business.

Further, it wouldn't matter if a completely free unregulated market is always for the better (though I'd argue it is,) because it's the moral and ethical thing to do.

Yes, but without a state, such market capture is functionally impossible to do. It simply impossible for a company to amass a power that could rival that of the state.

What I do object to is when people complain about their taxes as if they were imposed on them by royal edict or an occupying hostile force, and therefore consider the taxes illegitimate. They may be unjust or unfair, but they're not illegitimate. My direct affirmative assent is not needed for anything the government does, unless it's for something that affects only me, such as consenting to a search of my home or car.

Ok, but... why? How is it any more legitimate?

Well, it's a "crap shoot" wasn't really an argument. Lol. Just saying that you can't count on people to help you out. But from what I understand, you are saying that people's morals will be the thing that will motivate them to help others, and so there will in fact be people to help.

You can count of people to help out when you incentivize helping out. Morals, self-interest (ie: I help out because I may need to be helped out later) and so on. Further, the argument basically would then be saying that folks are too selfish and dumb to help each other, and so need a state to force them. Yet if folks are too selfish and dumb to help each other, how are they not so selfish and dumb to elect people or form a government that will help these people?

Just want to clarify what you mean by "Because if we're discussing what is moral and ethical, it doesn't even matter if the result would be hardship, because it is the moral thing to do." Like, if someone needed help and it caused you hardship to help them, you would help them anyway because it's the moral thing to do?

So voluntary actions are kind of key for making this work. But that means people have to buy into it and you have to agree on some "principled baselines". And so that's why you guys are arguing about morals so much. Do you really think that you can get people to agree on what is moral?

The first bit is correct, in how it applies to me directly. More broadly, the point is that if something is right, it's right. It may hurt to do, but that is not an argument not to do it.

However, I disagree that folks necessary have to agree to principled baselines for the system to work. It's largely self-regulating. When they only 'crimes' are theft, murder, rape, assault, fraud, etc (IE: aggression against another person,) it self regulates. Pretty much everyone already agrees these things AREN'T moral, and they can believe whatever they want else isn't moral, and with freedom of association, they can choose not to interact with folks who do things they think aren't moral otherwise, so long as they don't initiate force to try and stop them. Without the power of the state, imposing such moral will on others is basically impossible.

@Behemoth Is this worth people dying over?

Is doing the moral and ethical thing worth folks dying over? Yes. Anyone making this argument is also basically just holding folks for ransom.

But what is "the state"? When you have a large social group (an intentional group that has a commonly-held purpose; i.e., more than a collection of atomized individuals), there must be some type of decisionmaking apparatus for that group (though I suspect you would disagree, and if so, please describe how decisions that affect more than a few members would be made.). That decisionmaking apparatus is the state. That might or might not be what the members call it, but functionally, that's what it is. In a smaller, more primitive society, the apparatus would be small and informal. In a modern, large nation/state, the apparatus is large, specialized, and bureaucratic. Or, is what you're referring to as the "state" something more specific?

The state, in the way I use it, is the organization that holds a monopoly on the use of force. The state, in this regard, is the one who taxes and regulates, etc. They claim the exclusive use of force in a region, in essence.

The problem is I've asked several times about what decisions are there that MUST be made by a large apparatus, and have yet to get an answer? I have some suspicions but I'd rather have you actually tell me what issues NEED such a large apparatus to function?

I'm actually interested in learning more about this, because my knowledge of libertarianism is admittedly superficial and at least somewhat based on popular caricatures. However, you would be a more effective advocate if: (1) you weren't so unrelentingly argumentative and dismissive, and (2) you recognized that just about everyone here knows less about the subject than you do, and tried to meet them halfway in the interest of actually communicating your knowledge (and if teaching about libertarianism is not your intent, why are you participating?). For example, instead of using terms that may have a specialized meaning in libertarian philosophy, and then scolding your interlocutors because they don't understanding them or they use them improperly, why not explain the concepts in terms that we can understand?

I'm sorry if this comes off AS argumentative and dismissive, but I'm disinclined to change much because I will argue what I feel needs to be argued, and dismiss what can be dismissed. I don't, though, simply dismiss without given a reason WHY. I'm not the one who was telling folks what they said was ridiculous but never bothering to explain why, for example. Thus, I find this entire idea that somehow I am the one who needs to change a bit, frankly, disingenuous. To say nothing that disregarding an argument based on the tone in which it was given is hardly something to be praised either.

On the other hand, I can understand the issue of using certain terms, though I'm not entirely sure what terms are largely specialized that I've been using, and if asked, I'll eagerly explain them. I'm not exactly sure which terms are in need of such definition, because yes, defining terms is necessary, I just don't see which terms are in need OF it.

Incidentally, my original intent was more to simply describe why I wasn't voting, but has grown into a broader discussion over principles.

I still don't have a sense of how a libertarian society would look and function in its practical details. That's what I'm trying to understand. Maybe there's a fictional account of such a society somewhere out there. If it's thoughtful and not propagandistic/ideological, I'd definitely like to read it.

Off the top of my head I don't have one, aside from the previously linked things like Practical Anarchy. I'm certain I could find more if you wanted.

I have another question! Lol. I should start a thread called "Diane has a Question" :wait:

What if you don't own any property besides your own body? So you rent land - or an apartment on someone else's land and live according to the morals of whomever's land you are living on/renting? And you just gotta hope they are not gonna be dicks? Or everyone is living according to roughly the same moral guidelines so it will be ok? But still you gotta hope the landowner is not going to take advantage.

Well, you almost certainly own SOME property, IE: objects or items, but I think you're using property in terms of 'real estate' or land, and to that end, you'd be bound by whatever the terms of the contract are. It isn't about them 'not being dicks,' it's about contracts. Nothing changes from how it is now, in a general sense: you're still at the whims of the property owner. The question no one asks, though, is 'why should I have a right to impose upon a property owner against their will?'

Avenues of resolving issues, such as arbitration and dispute resolution organizations will certainly exist, as well.

So, in response to this idea of red herrings and services for which there is a demand but no competition, there are some pretty real situations where there is demand but zero incentive. Or at least I cannot for the life of me think of how to incentivize foster care, for example.

Cause if you have kids who are living in abusive situations, I guess you can call the privatized police, but what happens to the kids? Where do they go? I can't think of a supply/demand/privatization situation for that. And there's A LOT of fucking kids in foster homes. Do you really think people will volunteer for that gig? Or you just leave everyone alone cause what they do on their property is their business, even if some insane shit is going down over there?

Same kind of thing for adults with disabilities. Even if they have parents who are able to care for them, eventually their parents are gonna die and there is no one to care for them. So what happens to those guys? That kind of care is expensive. Will people volunteer for that too?

Well, again, we get into this sort of catch-22: if folks are too selfish to fund or enable foster care, how are they not too selfish to elect leaders to set up such a system? Further, charity HAS a PR incentive, even aside from the simple fact that folks aren't bastards; folks DO engage in charity, lots of it, and with access to greater resources, would likely do even more. In the US, the government takes between 33% to maybe even 50% or more of what you earn each year. Can you imagine what you could do with 33% more income, let alone double it? We already give to charity at a high rate, how much more with so much more income to throw around?

Yes, in an abusive situation, folks can act on behalf of the children, who have rights to not be aggressed against the same as everyone else. There are already private charities for taking care of these kids as well, and how much more will there be funding for them without the state draining resources? The point is, if there is a demand for it (and given society already has these things, there clearly is,) there will be folks funded to take care of this.

The same goes with disabilities. Largely, I suspect insurance models will be applied to far more things, as well. It should be noted that the current state of things has disconnected us from the community. Sans the state, with more wealth to flow out INTO the community, these bonds are reestablished, further because it becomes necessary to rely ON the community far more.

I can really respect and understand this POV. Johnson is a realist and recognizes that the actors in our economic and judicial markets are not operating on the same level of power and access. This is what I still don't understand: how would a true/pure Libertarian (not a de facto republican as Behemoth regards Johnson) address a real-world problem like this?

The problem is that what Johnson is ignoring is that, as constituted, 'corporations' exist only as creatures of the government. They limit liability and obfuscate things, and exist due to government charter. My question would be this: how did 'Molycorp' get into the situation in the first place? WHY couldn't they pursue them in a private standpoint? Arguably, it would be due to the legal protections created entirely by the government for corporations.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Osmia
Further, the argument basically would then be saying that folks are too selfish and dumb to help each other, and so need a state to force them. Yet if folks are too selfish and dumb to help each other, how are they not so selfish and dumb to elect people or form a government that will help these people?

It's cynical but yes, that is an argument I have a hard time disagreeing with. People are dumb and selfish. I do think a lot of government these days is kind of an illustration of how dumb and selfish people are. I guess instead of saying the state should force them to do stuff, I would say the state is useful for regulating things to prevent people from doing dumb and selfish things. And because I tend to look at things that way, it is why I lean towards social democracy. But thinking about things I don't know much about or even don't like is always worthwhile.

Thanks for answering all my questions. I will be following the conversation for sure. :)

What do the libertarians on this forum think about democracy? Do you guys believe that liberty and democracy are compatible?

The point of the democracy was the power of the people. As opposed to the power of the government.

So yes, I think they fit together perfectly.

In my ideal, the people as a unit would vote and decide on everything as a whole (instead of, y'know, a make-believe whole where it's actually the Electoral College that ends up deciding.)

It's cynical but yes, that is an argument I have a hard time disagreeing with. People are dumb and selfish. I do think a lot government these days is kind of an illustration of how dumb and selfish people are. I guess instead of saying the state should force them to do stuff, I would say the state is useful for regulating things to prevent people from doing dumb and selfish things. And because I tend to look at things that way, it is why I lean towards social democracy. But thinking about things I don't know much about or even don't like is always worthwhile.

Thanks for answering all my questions. I will be following the conversation for sure. :)

Well, the problem is, if the people are too selfish and dumb to regulate themselves, why are they not too selfish and dumb to form a government to regulate them? Like, I understand what you're saying, but it's sort of an impassable catch-22 unless you're implicitly saying some folks are fit to rule and some are fit to be ruled, no offense intended.

What do the libertarians on this forum think about democracy? Do you guys believe that liberty and democracy are compatible?

Nothing wrong with it conceptually, so long as all parties agree to the vote before hand and thus contractually bind themselves to abide by the results. The issue comes when you start holding votes and saying that a majority chose, and thus even folks who objected to the vote in the first place are bound by the results. Democracy tends to have that issue, though, of majority rules, hence why it can be no less dangerous.

The argument against democracy from the libertarian perspective (this is the point in which I splintered from libertarianism a few years ago) is that democracy and liberties are incompatible because democracy by its very nature is the idea that a law is good as long as it is the will of the majority. Since the majority are easy to manipulate and often wrong, they can vote against liberty and even reform the law and the institutions to oppress not only minorities but actually themselves.

So, a small group of libertarians believe that in order to protect liberties it is necessary to have a benign dictatorship. Some argue in favor of monarchies, others want a new system in which the State is run like a company with a CEO who makes all decisions. And this benign monarch or CEO would do everything to protect the citizen's liberties by, among other things, not letting them vote on matters that would go against their best interests. In my opinion both the monarchy and the CEO ideas are better kept for sci-fi movies, the only reasonable thing at this point would be having a dictator.

Mainstream libertarianism doesn't espouse this view, obviously, it is a splinter group of people, and most libertarians on the mainstream would call the people who consider democracy and liberty incompatible authoritarians, so that was when I started to consider other things and realized I was no longer a libertarian. My views have morphed even more after this, but this was the starting point.

This is a very quick explanation of this perspective, I know @Behemoth likes to nitpick every word and zoom in until the forest is no longer visible and we are discussing the shape of a branch, so I just wanted to ask you what you think in general terms. In order not to turn this into a weed conversation

This is a very quick explanation of this perspective, I know @Behemoth likes to nitpick every word and zoom in until the forest is no longer visible and we are discussing the shape of a branch, so I just wanted to ask you what you think in general terms. In order not to turn this into a weed conversation

This feels unfair, namely because the words used matter. I'd love to know an example of this, as well, so it seems less a just random jab. If you can actually show me doing this, I'd be more inclined to be able to actually stop doing it. The problem is using general terms. as you call it is often hopelessly vague, subject to too much individual interpretation, and so on. Words mean different things, to different people, at different times, thus it is vitally important to actually know what we're talking about.

Loosely related, I face the same issue whenever I end up debating 'capitalism' with someone.

As for the rest, I can't say much other than to question it being the 'libertarian perspective.' Arguably, there are more perspectives than that inside that umbrella, notably because I just shared one.

As for the rest, I can't say much other than to question it being the 'libertarian perspective.' Arguably, there are more perspectives than that inside that umbrella, notably because I just shared one.

I don't understand why you were confused by my wording.

What my words meant (and I believe its pretty clear) is that if you want to argue against democracy from the POV of individual liberties then this is what you would say.

My phrase doesn't mean that libertarians have somehow adopted this view? How is that implied there?

I even clarified later on the same post that this is a very tiny minority within libertarianism and mainstream libertarians consider this group authoritarian. So my only guess is you didn't really read my post carefully.

There have been many groups taking stands against democracy through history (notably Plato was against it) but I didn't want to talk about those perspectives, but the libertarian one.

The point of the democracy was the power of the people. As opposed to the power of the government.

So yes, I think they fit together perfectly.

In my ideal, the people as a unit would vote and decide on everything as a whole (instead of, y'know, a make-believe whole where it's actually the Electoral College that ends up deciding.)
You mean like a Direct Democracy?

First you've got to remember that there's a huge spectrum of Libertarians. Ranging from those that want the government abolished to those that just have a social-liberal / fiscal conservative hybrid view, which neither of the two parties accurately represent. You're always going to get conflicting answers within the Libertarian movement, based on where on the spectrum they land. Hell, as crazy as it sounds, there's actually what I'll call "libertarian statists".

Yes and no. If 51% vote to strip the rights of 49%, it's not justified just because 51% believe it is. If it's a popular vote that doesn't negatively affect the personal rights of the 49%, then democracy is working unified with Libertarianism and other related idealism.

Look at how many people are considering moving to Canada if Trump wins because they fear the policies he might impose. They're making a statement that if Democracy doesn't work to their advantage, they're going to escape the results of the democratic process for fear of their rights being negatively effected.

It's not just Libertarians that have the belief that a majority vote shouldn't be used to negatively impact the non-popular vote.

Which is justification for smaller bodies of government. If the states were able to govern themselves, and the counties or municipalities could even over-ride state laws, and none of the laws were able to limit the personal rights of the individuals, then at least the policies enforced could more accurately represent the will of the people. Those who do not ideologically agree could find pockets of like-minded populations without having to flee the country, and there's be no "one-size-fits-all" blanket federal regulation that's being forced upon everyone, whether or not they agree with it.

And the fact that a presidential election is causing so many people to threaten fleeing America is also proof that the position is holding too much power. There's supposed to be checks and balances.

Oh, and on the fleeing to Canada bit; With Mexico the exchange rate goes further, there's tequila and you'll have a wall between you and Trump ;)

I don't understand why you were confused by my wording.

What my words meant (and I believe its pretty clear) is that if you want to argue against democracy from the POV of individual liberties then this is what you would say.

My phrase doesn't mean that libertarians have somehow adopted this view? How is that implied there?

I even clarified later on the same post that this is a very tiny minority within libertarianism and mainstream libertarians consider this group authoritarian. So my only guess is you didn't really read my post carefully.

There have been many groups taking stands against democracy through history (notably Plato was against it) but I didn't want to talk about those perspectives, but the libertarian one.

My point is the 'libertarian perspective' isn't anti-Democratic. The way you worded it implied that libertarianism was opposed to democracy. Like, yes, you later say a minority supports a dictatorship, but it's not as if the only two options are democracy or dictatorship.

Off the top of my head I don't have one, aside from the previously linked things like Practical Anarchy. I'm certain I could find more if you wanted.

Yes, please.

Also, on Amazon (US), there are three books titled Practical Anarchy, one by Stefan Molyneux , one by John Gallas, and one that doesn't indicate the author (it's the one that costs $35). Which one are you referring to?

The one by Stefan Molyneux. I'll see what I can find, or just write one up myself. Or, if you're curious, it might be better if you have like just questions how I envision it working, like specific things, and can then elaborate based on that.

You're sort of missing the point. Freedom and liberty are the ideals. Society set up on those principles thus naturally defaults to one based on free exchange and voluntary associations. The point is that the best way to preserve t hose ideals is via market pressures. The point is that if not everyone supports the ideals, the best way to coopt them it to just make it so doing so is the most profitable.
And when it becomes profitable to ignore freedom and liberty? When market pressures lead to situation where morals and ethics are ignored in favor of profits?
No, I'm saying that corruption is inherent to the state, but not exclusive to the state, and the size and nature of the state attracts and even incentivizes corruption in a way that doesn't exist without the state.
I could agree with this if there were no legitimate needs for the state to exist.
The faulty premise to the question implies that somehow we should be forced to leave and give up our property because the state is oppressive. It shifts the onus onto those who are under the thumb rather than recognizing the acts of the person doing it. The second fact is: no where else is better, so there is no where to flee to. You can't escape the state. Even if you wanted, it actually costs money to renounce citizenship, on the order of thousands of dollars, so even that is not some sort of escape.
WAHHHH!!! THE FARES ARE TOO HIGH!!!

Give me a break. I had a friend who fled. He spent several weeks hiding in the woods and digging in garbage for food. He got shot in the process. He was living with real, physical slavery. Real daily violence. Not sure if he sent a check to cover his ransom after he got out.

My question was rhetorical. Its premise was that arguing "all taxes are violent theft" is absurd.
The flaw here is implying that they will 'run wild.' It's not that these humans are unique bad, they're just responding to the pressures and avenues open to them. In a way, I don't FAULT a company for engaging in corrupt practices with the state because market pressures created by the state demands they do so. In short, they MUST engage in such behavior because if they don't, another company will a drive them out of business.
By god, you should fault those companies.

What if it becomes profitable to set up a state? What if market pressures mean you MUST, or else you will be driven out?

My question was rhetorical. Its premise was that arguing "all taxes are violent theft" is absurd.

theft
THeft/
noun
  1. the action or crime of stealing.
Okay, so:

steal
stēl/
verb
gerund or present participle: stealing
  1. 1.
    take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

So "theft" by dictionary definition is "the action of taking another person's property without permission."

So, unless you explicitly give the government permission to take you money, which in a way we all do if we actually pay them, taxation IS by definition, "Theft". Which, even if the majority votes on tax increases, those that didn't vote for it, do not give permission for the government to take their property, thus by definition making it "theft".

If you do not have the money to pay tax, and the government seizes assets without expressed permission, then it's even more of theft by definition, as I doubt anyone being garnished says; "Ya, man! Go ahead! Take whatever you want from wages!". This is even more compounded when you look at situations such as houses with tax leans, ect.

So, the real Statist argument should be; "Is government-sanctioned theft [tax] justified by the services government provides?" Just in the same way, some people might argue that the money mafiosos collected was justified by the protection mafia provided.

*AND* This is where the entire conversation breaks down in the classic debate of "but without government and taxes, who will build the roads?" The classic Statist / Libertarian argument that will never end. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.