AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Cam Model Mentoring

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

Cam Model Mentoring - Would you like to see this?

• I would like to see something like this.

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • I would not like to see something like this.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • You must be crazy... get out of here.

Votes: 17 38.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2014
New Jersey
Twitter Username
@MiniatureKiwi
MFC Username
MiniatureKiwi
Good morning,

Before posting this, I made sure to utilize the search function, and while some posts mentioned the word, I did not see anything particularly aimed towards this.

I took a bit of a hiatus on MyFreeCams as a viewer, and have recently started coming back. Within the first two weeks of being back, out of three new models I visited, two have disappeared. I know there could be numerous reasons as to why this happened, but it got me thinking...

Would models be interested in a mentoring program? I no doubt know that this already exists, most likely on personal levels, but what if it was more structured, kind of on a business level?

I would not be the one mentoring. It would be a group of veteran models.

Before I even think about planning something like this, I just wanted to get a feel from actual models to see if this is something you would like to see.

Why are you, as a member, organizing this...? If you're calling it a "business" are you hoping to somehow profit off of it?

Anyway there are valid reasons many veteran models don't formally mentor but regardless I personally wouldn't participate if it wasn't a completely model-run venture. A random non-model starting this would be very odd-putting to me.

This mentoring program idea pops up every year, it seems, and it does seem like a good idea on the surface. But when you think about it... It doesn't really make sense.

What will a mentoring program achieve that this forum won't? Instead of one mentor, any model has dozens and dozens. We have so much information available at a fingertip, and there is no such thing as a silly question. The young models just have to be willing to comb through the information already here.

This industry has a high turn over rate for many reasons. And honestly, it isn't necessarily bad. Those who expect this to be a get-rich-quick scheme often burn out first and disappear when the money isn't as forth-coming and requires more work than they expected. I cannot be sad about that.

And with total honesty, I have been burnt with mentoring the past. Spending hours and hours and hours typing up advice and trying to help and answering more questions than I can count. In one instance, the girl began copying me. In two other instances, the girls disappeared quickly.

In my experience, mentoring/mentee programs aren't useful. Those who are going to drop out are going to drop out. Those who want to learn and work are going to be willing to seek the information. All of the information a girl needs is available here. She has to be willing to look for it, and that in itself is a good indication of a girl's ability to last in this field. No one needs a mentor to hold their hand when this forum offers hundreds of equals who have already answered those same questions.

If you think there is a girl who might be needing advice, just direct them to ACF. They will be able to find what they are seeking without an official mentor program.

But then, I freely admit that my own personal experience one-on-one mentoring models has done nothing but break my heart and waste my time, so I am a little biased against it.

Why are you, as a member, organizing this...? If you're calling it a "business" are you hoping to somehow profit off of it?

Anyway there are valid reasons many veteran models don't formally mentor but regardless I personally wouldn't participate if it wasn't a completely model-run venture. A random non-model starting this would be very odd-putting to me.

It was more of an idea, and not an actual organizational venture. I may have described it wrong, which is my fault. It wouldn't be a business, and I wasn't intending it for profit, but for another source of help.

You do make a good point though, that it would definitely seem odd with someone random. I would have just helped on the technical side (website/hosting), but models would do all the work.
This mentoring program idea pops up every year, it seems, and it does seem like a good idea on the surface. But when you think about it... It doesn't really make sense.

What will a mentoring program achieve that this forum won't? Instead of one mentor, any model has dozens and dozens. We have so much information available at a fingertip, and there is no such thing as a silly question. The young models just have to be willing to comb through the information already here.

This industry has a high turn over rate for many reasons. And honestly, it isn't necessarily bad. Those who expect this to be a get-rich-quick scheme often burn out first and disappear when the money isn't as forth-coming and requires more work than they expected. I cannot be sad about that.

And with total honesty, I have been burnt with mentoring the past. Spending hours and hours and hours typing up advice and trying to help and answering more questions than I can count. In one instance, the girl began copying me. In two other instances, the girls disappeared quickly.

In my experience, mentoring/mentee programs aren't useful. Those who are going to drop out are going to drop out. Those who want to learn and work are going to be willing to seek the information. All of the information a girl needs is available here. She has to be willing to look for it, and that in itself is a good indication of a girl's ability to last in this field. No one needs a mentor to hold their hand when this forum offers hundreds of equals who have already answered those same questions.

If you think there is a girl who might be needing advice, just direct them to ACF. They will be able to find what they are seeking without an official mentor program.

But then, I freely admit that my own personal experience one-on-one mentoring models has done nothing but break my heart and waste my time, so I am a little biased against it.

Thank you for this detailed response regarding why it wouldn't be a good idea. Seeing a perspective from past experience paints a better picture of this, and I now know that it won't work out.
You're literally on a forum where veteran camgirls mentor BB camgirls.

Wut.

If a girl wants something structured all she has to do is reach out. Why would anyone want a random middle man?

As indicated above, I wouldn't be involved in it, other than the technical aspect, but even then, I guess it makes sense why it would seem odd. Yes, I know I came here, because I had wanted input first, before even contemplating on planning something like this.

From the looks of it, it seems like a poor idea, and I won't do anything further with it. Thank you.

I already offer my "mentoring services" for free like a majority of veteran cammodels on this forum and other industry related forums. You have stripperweb.com, wecamgirls, cam concierge, camming wikis, and like a million "how to camgirl" blog posts and youtube videos. There are so many resources out there with a basic google search how to succeed at camming.

It's like when studios try to offer to mentor as a service when there is already an abundance of info out there. It's pretty redundant.

Anyone I've wasted my time mentoring ended up quitting, or never starting in the first place, which felt like such a waste of my energy. The girls who have what it takes to make this a successful gig have enough self-starter energy to look into their own resources for information, inspiration and advice.

Some even have enough gas to create their own cam girl forum where girls can exchange advice, information and friendship! *ahem*

Same boat with mentoring never ending up in anything productive. I've mentored three people now - two in general sex work and one in camming. The girl I mentored into camming quit in a month. The other two never started. Unless it's in a forum structure like this, it honestly just feels like a waste of my time and energy at this point.

As said above, if someone doesn't have what it takes to even google information before filling my inbox with "How do I cam?" messages (which are so vague it makes me want to rip my hair out), I don't think they have what it takes to be in this industry. To be blunt and honest.

A baby camgirl I mentored not only copied my whole show and poached one of my highest tippers.... she actually took all my advice and help and used it to mentor other baby camgirls like herself so I ended up having a swarm of newbies doing my show to the T. The other one never started camming and made me waste a whole weekend getting her ready and helping her with the signup process.

This is a competitive business. This forum lets us exchange information and give a helping hand without making it a personal 1 on 1 situation. Not getting personally involved and being just one more helping voice among dozens works because you aren't risking being copied or having your members poached.

Some models work a a studio, where they have people there that mentor them. But I think just reading tips online, places like this forum, would be all the help that they need.

If they can't study tips online I don't think a mentor group could help them much more

One on one mentoring does not work for camming but it does work for other forms of the adult industry. Often models who say they want mentoring waste time or quit after 5 months.Frankly, I learned a lot about camming from forums like this one. In addition, forums like SW taught me how to modified my hustling skills to suit the situation.Newbie cam models can just joined forums and learn tons of stuff. However, I had a pso mentor who taught me the ends and out of the industry because I needed one on one training back in the day. I was pretty cool as a newbie pso but I was not reaching rockstar status. She was one of the original phone sex girls back from early 1980s and she helped me greatly. She was the first one to teach me how to process credit cards and eat "chargebacks". She also taught me to have a more business-minded approach to phone sex in my 20s.

Also, I had a sugar baby mentor for a few months while developing my sugar baby business plan. Usually, I went to "Angel Sugars" or sugar babies who made more than 10, 000 per month and they show me how to become apart of that league. It was hard work and I thank them for their time. Particularly, those Caribbean sugar babies who taught me about Polo and what to wear to them. However, those are the only two cases in which one on one mentoring worked in this industry. It does not work in camming like that unless the models are already sex workers.

Good morning,

Before posting this, I made sure to utilize the search function, and while some posts mentioned the word, I did not see anything particularly aimed towards this.

I took a bit of a hiatus on MyFreeCams as a viewer, and have recently started coming back. Within the first two weeks of being back, out of three new models I visited, two have disappeared. I know there could be numerous reasons as to why this happened, but it got me thinking...

Would models be interested in a mentoring program? I no doubt know that this already exists, most likely on personal levels, but what if it was more structured, kind of on a business level?

I would not be the one mentoring. It would be a group of veteran models.

Before I even think about planning something like this, I just wanted to get a feel from actual models to see if this is something you would like to see.

This forum is the best mentoring available because it forces girls to find and search for their own information from a community, rather than leaning on one person to spoon feed. That alone will separate the camgirls from the girls who aren't cut out for it... and yes, many awesome smart beautiful girls just aren't cut out for this.

You're literally on a forum where veteran camgirls mentor BB camgirls.

Wut.

If a girl wants something structured all she has to do is reach out. Why would anyone want a random middle man?

It's a good question and it deserves a good answer, and I'm happy to say I can get you that answer. I know just the person who is best equipped to answer and I can arrange for that to happen. All I need from you is a finder's fee...

I was quite surprised reading the responses here. Mostly because I have been seeking out a mentor for ages now. I have been a cam-girl mostly part-time for about 3 years now, but I worked on Streamate, Flirt4Free and SkyPrivate and those sites are just so different.

I did try MFC a few times, and always decided it wasn't for me. I am mostly an introvert and although I have good social skills and am very good at holding up a good conversation (usually with one person at a time), I did not think I could succeed in such an environment where I needed to constantly perform.

Lately though I am looking at it all from a new perspective, because I am mostly dominant, I find it hard to just follow guys requests, so I used to think only sweet submissive girls ever make it on MFC, but I now feel that I have to succeed at this, because I watch the girls on other cam-sites and notice how boring they are, and so I want to learn to be entertaining, as hard as it may seem.

I only joined the forum now though and am finding great tips on here, hopefully I do get better and won't feel like I need a mentor so much, but right now I would take that offer for sure, haha.

Another important aspect of this job is the ability to be adaptable. What works one year isn't necessarily gonna work the next. So even if a model learned how to be a good camgirl from a mentor, it doesn't mean it will work forever. One of the best skills in this field is ability to self-teach and research. When things become slow and you need to change things up a bit you can't rely on someone always being there.

As a newb, I kind of agree with what is being said here. Although I might want to ask girls occasionally specific questions, I think mostly I want to do my own research and figure out my own way. I don't want to be a carbon copy of anyone, and I wouldn't want anyone feeling like I stole anything from them. My best friend is a cam girl on MFC as well, but she's still fairly new too...so I wouldn't count it as a mentor thing. Besides, we have very different styles.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
A baby camgirl I mentored not only copied my whole show and poached one of my highest tippers.... she actually took all my advice and help and used it to mentor other baby camgirls like herself so I ended up having a swarm of newbies doing my show to the T. The other one never started camming and made me waste a whole weekend getting her ready and helping her with the signup process.

This is a competitive business. This forum lets us exchange information and give a helping hand without making it a personal 1 on 1 situation. Not getting personally involved and being just one more helping voice among dozens works because you aren't risking being copied or having your members poached.

Holy shit that's terrible. I still consider myself a baby camgirl even though I've been doing this for a year. I am always looking for advice and things to make my show better. Keyword: MY show. I would have a hard time doing someone else's show.

Status
Not open for further replies.