AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Cam-related memes

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Webcam-related memes

RC4FsI5.png

goldenaye666 said:
<insert silly discussion about what is a meme here like the what is art discussion> :whistle:
There's no definition for art though.

goldenaye666 said:
<insert silly discussion about what is a meme here like the what is art discussion> :whistle:

Rather, let's have a discussion about you're the only one contributing to this thread and there's a perfectly lovely one that already exists. :)

SexyStephXS said:
goldenaye666 said:

Rather, let's have a discussion about you're the only one contributing to this thread and there's a perfectly lovely one that already exists. :)

It should be merged with the old topic. But someone else has to do that.

LilyMarie said:
goldenaye666 said:

Really? :lol:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/art?s=t&path=/
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/art

There are plenty of definitions of art. Same as memes. What that definition is just varies by the source. A meme could be art, and defined just as questionably.

goldenaye666 said:
LilyMarie said:
goldenaye666 said:

There are plenty of definitions of art. Same as memes. What that definition is just varies by the source. A meme could be art, and defined just as questionably.
Here's my post stating that there's no clear definition. You thanked it...

LilyMarie said:
goldenaye666 said:
LilyMarie said:
goldenaye666 said:

Here's my post stating that there's no clear definition. You thanked it...

Clear definition, and no definition, are two entirely different things. You contradicted your own previous statement. :whistle:

I said in my post that I linked to that everyone has their own definition of art.
An internet meme, however, IS by definition viral content that has spread throughout the internet in a short amount of time. A meme is not an image that you put some text on top of as you see fit.

The Overly Attached Girlfriend meme (girl with her eyes wide open) and the First World Problems meme (crying woman) were used correctly. The OAG meme is used for situations in which someone acts like an overly attached girlfriend (hence the name), and the FWP meme is used for, well, first world problems. So the texts you put on top here are actually appropriate with the memes.
Bad Luck Brian (boy with braces) is used incorrectly. His meme is used when describing a situation in which someone has had bad luck; so in an MFC context something like "wants to enter group show of his favorite model - has 3 tokens left" would be applicable for example.

Those image macros with specific things written on top in the font Impact are also called Advice Animals.
Info on what certain memes are used for correctly, how they came into existence etc. is on http://knowyourmeme.com. :thumbleft:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/overly-at ... girlfriend
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/first-world-problems
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/bad-luck-brian

The rest, as far as I can tell, are just pictures depicting reactions, that you wrote something on. Those are edited images, not memes.

I made one. The LindaSoGentle one because it is recently relevant. I have a folder full of webcam-related memes, or other funny images by that definition of what a meme is, I have saved from meme topics all over the Internet. I would say a meme is a form of art, that all began with one person making it to start with. The definition is completely subjective.

Fay_Galore said:
maybe we can dub this topic 'cam-related funny pictures'? instead of memes?
for all comics, tweets, relevant jokes and other funny stuff we come across.

That is a useful suggestion. Though I'm not going to bother to post it in it again, since from my opinion, someone just decided to troll this one. While in in the other "memes" titled topic, that same person actually just contributed pictures related to the topic. Even when some of those pictures do not meet what she considers the definition of a meme.

Reactions: LadyLuna

I'm siding with LilyMarie in this debate because, let's face it, she's just so damn cute! :dance:

Reactions: SexySteph

goldenaye666 said:
(...) webcam-related memes, or other funny images by that definition of what a meme is, I have saved from meme topics all over the Internet. I would say a meme is a form of art, that all began with one person making it to start with. The definition is completely subjective.
Absolutely not, and "funny image" is, again, not a definition of what a meme is. I highly encourage you to look up what it really means since you don't believe me for whatever reason.

(...) from my opinion, someone just decided to troll this one.
So apparently you don't know what trolling is, either... :shock: I didn't insult you or make fun of you, I explained a concept to you. Trolling a thread does not mean explaining to you how you're wrong. It means derailing a thread by insulting, offending or going wildly off-topic. (The thanks I got for my post (2 from ladies who know quite a bit about internet culture) really kind of speak for themselves.)

While in in the other "memes" titled topic, that same person actually just contributed pictures related to the topic. Even when some of those pictures do not meet what she considers the definition of a meme.
This is false. I just looked at all the pictures I posted in that thread, and they're memes, Advice Animals to be more specific. Overly attached girlfriend, socially awkward penguin, Fry from Futurama, Condescending Wonka, Scumbag Steve... and other people have posted South Park Ski Instructor, Pedobear, Bad Luck Brian, Success Kid, Grumpy Cat and Good Guy Greg for example. All within the first 3 pages. Those are memes. The image macros have spread like wildfire and have been used probably hundreds of thousands of times by people all over the world to display situations appropriate for the specific meme. That's what makes them memes in this case. (edit: I just saw that Shaun posted one on this page. That's the forever alone guy. It's a meme.)

I can't believe I'm even discussing this. It really bugs me when people can't accept that they're wrong, though. Memes are such a trivial thing with a relatively simple definition. There are things that are memes, and then there are funny pictures that you wrote some suitable text on. Like, I realize that it's become sort of a trend to call anything and everything a meme, but calling an apple an orange doesn't make it an orange.

What is this I don't even

Oh look, I used a meme! ^^ And it isn't an image. Imagine that.

Wikipedia said:
A meme is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture"... An Internet meme may take the form of an image, hyperlink, video, picture, website, or hashtag. It may be just a word or phrase, including an intentional misspelling.

There are a lot of people who call any image with text over it a meme, so golden isn't alone. But at least a few people must have thought his attempts were funny, so let's not call in the cavalry over this one, maybe? :)

goldenaye666 said:
SexyStephXS said:
goldenaye666 said:

It should be merged with the old topic. But someone else has to do that.
They've been merged.

AmberCutie said:
What is this I don't even

Oh look, I used a meme! ^^ And it isn't an image. Imagine that.

Wikipedia said:
A meme is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture"... An Internet meme may take the form of an image, hyperlink, video, picture, website, or hashtag. It may be just a word or phrase, including an intentional misspelling.

There are a lot of people who call any image with text over it a meme, so golden isn't alone. But at least a few people must have thought his attempts were funny, so let's not call in the cavalry over this one, maybe? :)
I know he's not alone in thinking that, but that doesn't make it any more correct. The definition you quoted from wiki is pretty much what I said. :thumbleft:

Btw, it's absolutely not cool that models are taking images from this thread and tweeting them as if they'd made them themselves. :( Kind of a crappy thing to do.

LilyMarie said:
I know he's not alone in thinking that, but that doesn't make it any more correct. The definition you quoted from wiki is pretty much what I said. :thumbleft:

Btw, it's absolutely not cool that models are taking images from this thread and tweeting them as if they'd made them themselves. :( Kind of a crappy thing to do.

but it's that the point of a meme? that it travels? viral and stuff ;) (unless of course, they're lik 'look what I made') but I don't think people normally keep to copyright when it comes to memes etc.

also, a meme's gotta start somewhere, why not right here.

Fay_Galore said:
LilyMarie said:

but it's that the point of a meme? that it travels? viral and stuff ;) (unless of course, they're lik 'look what I made') but I don't think people normally keep to copyright when it comes to memes etc.

I haven't seen what Lily is talking about, so I'll just say this:

If the person tweeting it said "Look at what I came up with!" and actually did claim it as theirs, then that is a shitty thing to do.

But it is customary, when spreading a meme, to just post the meme without referencing who actually created it. Maybe a comment on what a person thought about the meme, or how it applies to whatever situation, but no reference to where the meme actually came from.

Lily, were you just trying to infer that the person claims to have created it by the fact that she posted it on twitter? Or did the poster actually claim that she created it somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.