AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Camwhore, Camgirl, Cam model, Sex worker...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocefish

I did bad things, privileges revoked!
In the Dog House
Mar 26, 2010
Usually somewhere between flippant and glib.
This has come up numerous times, so figured it might as well have it's own thread and dealt with once and for all instead of it taking over other threads every so often. Whatever the terminology is, it's all the same thing. The Urban Dictionary has 3 friggin' pages of camwhore definitions that are not very kind.

I only started using the term after I've seen many girls use it to describe themselves, then we get bitched out for using the term. I may have actually scared away a budding wannabe cam girl by using that term which was probably a good thing if that upset her enough to give up on the idea.

The following description is about the best I've found so far :

Camwhore
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A camwhore (sometimes cam-whore, cam whore or cam-slut)[1] is an individual who performs sexual services on the Internet with webcam software in exchange for money, goods, or attention. Some of the common ways of doing this is by a fixed per minute fee, by encouraging viewers to purchase items on their wish lists or add to their online accounts.[2] While the label is usually considered derogatory and insulting,[3] it is also sometimes self-applied, occasionally in a self-deprecating manner.
The term "camwhore" is also used to refer to individuals who post pictures or videos of themselves on the Internet to gain attention. The term disparages those who post pictures of themselves at inappropriate times or places and usually implies self-absorption. This second usage of the term, deriding vanity and histrionics, is overtaking the prior more intuitive definition.
The term camwhore was first used in print in November 2001,[4] but may have originated in Australia as early as 1999.[5]
Some insight into the world of underage camwhores was provided by a major article in the New York Times. It described the story of Justin Berry, a 13-year-old boy who, after hooking up his webcam and listing himself on an online forum in order to make friends, was propositioned by older men to strip and masturbate on camera.[6] CNN referred to him as "in the language of cyberspace... a cam-whore".[7] He eventually started his own paysite, was molested for money, sold video recordings of his encounters with Mexican prostitutes, and helped hire other underage models.[6] He made several hundred thousand dollars over five years.[6] In the end he turned all information over to prosecutors in exchange for immunity.[6]
Camwhore is also referred to young people who post a large amount of pictures of themselves on the internet social media sites such as Facebook, MySpace etc. The most common "camwhore" thing to do is to take a picture of yourself with a cellphone or a portable camera either from the top / front or though a mirror, usually these pictures tend to look the same and rarely are a good quality. The naming comes from "whoring yourself to a camera" implying that you like to be photographed and if there is no one else to do it, you do it yourself.

Was it my post in the other thread that inspired this? *blushes*

I prefer 'cam girl' or 'cam model', please. Thanks. :thumbleft:

I don't mind either one. It's all about HOW it's used.
EX: "You're only a stupid, fucking, camwhore!" NOT okay.
"There is a new camwhore on MFC, she dances really well and is a sweet girl." Okay.
I'm not very word sensitive. Some girls are, and that is okay.
If you want to appeal to all camgirls, refrain from using the word "camwhore."
If you don't care what anyone thinks and you want to find a camgirl that is okay with that word, keep using it and you'll find a camgirl that is best for you!
:twocents-02cents:

PlayboyMegan said:
If you want to appeal to all camgirls, refrain from using the word "camwhore."
If you don't care what anyone thinks and you want to find a camgirl that is okay with that word, keep using it and you'll find a camgirl that is best for you!
:twocents-02cents:

As usual, I agree with Megan. :thumbleft:

I think we should find out what people prefer to be called, and call them that.

Speaking for myself and myself alone, I dont really care what people call me, its the context and meaning they attach to it that matter. If Person A says camwhore in the most blunt and literal sense, and calls me that, I am okay with it. Yes I do sexual services in exchange for money, and I do it via webcam. I dont attach any negative feelings with the literal definition.

If Person B calls me a camwhore because they translate the word as something negative, then they are just trying to insult me and I don't interact with them anymore. You can generally tell when someone is trying to be rude to you and when they are being neutral.

When telling someone about my job, I try to guage them a little bit and decide what words to use. For some people it may be easier to explain using "camgirl" or "model" because I understand that whore is not a neutral word for everyone.

bawksy said:
Or... is a mechanic a "greasewhore?"

Is a surgeon a "slashwhore?"

lol guess it can be applied to anything but it becomes absurd.

Ed Shultz got in trouble for calling Laura Ingraham a "right-wing" slut.
David Schuster got in trouble for saying that Hillary Clinton "pimped out" her daughter Chelsea for using her in her campaign.

All are lessons that gender/ethnicity/religious or even occupational slurs are a bad idea.

Laura Ingraham may indeed be a "bad person" but relating that to her gender adds nothing to the dialogue.

Reactions: Jessi
Just did a site search for the word "camwhore" and came up with 8 pages! The good majority of the usage is by cam girls. If the term is used on this forum, I'm 99.9% sure it is not meant in a derogatory manner and shouldn't be taken that way.

AmberCutie said:
zoChx.jpg

The majority of us use the term CamWhore in a silly, poking fun at ourselves, way. It's not offensive unless you want it to be. We are the ones who do sexual things to ourselves on cam for money. If we only did it for attention and did not get paid, we'd just be Sluts. :D

Reactions: Jessi
Bocefish said:
Just did a site search for the word "camwhore" and came up with 8 pages! The good majority of the usage is by cam girls. If the term is used on this forum, I'm 99.9% sure it is not meant in a derogatory manner and shouldn't be taken that way.

AmberCutie said:
zoChx.jpg

The majority of us use the term CamWhore in a silly, poking fun at ourselves, way. It's not offensive unless you want it to be. We are the ones who do sexual things to ourselves on cam for money. If we only did it for attention and did not get paid, we'd just be Sluts. :D
I'm sorry, but I don't think you have the right to tell girls how they should feel about the usage of a word. Cam girls have every right to be offended by that word. Just because the majority of girls on THIS forum seem to be okay with it, does not mean all cam girls have to be as well.

Bocefish said:
They can be offended all they want, my point is that nobody here intends it to be offensive. I didn't make up the definitions and those are just the facts.
I understand that. I had no problem with your post until "shouldn't be taken that way" was said.

Reactions: 1 person
I prefer bitch face cock monger.

PlayboyMegan said:
Just because the majority of girls on THIS forum seem to be okay with it, does not mean all cam girls have to be as well.

THIS.

I'm an active member on two separate camming forums, and yeah, there are definitely different opinions on the subject.

Reactions: PlayboyMegan
I'm not really offended at the word camwhore but I don't really care for it either. I didn't mind it before I started, but I think all of the bitter, pathetic people that have tried to use it in a derogatory way towards me and it's kind of lost it's appeal. It's not the definition that bothers me.

I typically use Camgirl. Though, who was it that coined the term "Cyber Geisha" on here? I dig that. Though, since I'm not Japanese I think I'll use "Cyber Courtesan" even if it doesn't flow as well. :)

I used the word camwhore in a post here the other day, and I have to admit it didn't feel quite right (but it was required for proper parallel structure). I think it may be one of those words where it's OK when used by an "ingroup" or when self-directed, but treads on thin ice when used by someone outside that group. Not quite up there with the "N" word (which I feel is so loaded I won't even type it), but maybe more like "queer" or "fag" or "bitch".

Doesn't matter to me what I'm called, as long as the person isn't trying to degrade me by calling me a "whore". I usually call myself a "cam girl" in conversation. I do consider myself a sex worker, but that is a really broad term, so I wouldn't use that to describe my specific job.

Intent is given by the speaker. Meaning is given by the listener. So if I say "Damn you're a sexy cam whore" my intent is to pay a compliment but the meaning might be taken as an insult. My advice if you want to be in a model's room for any length of time and have a convo with her, shut up and follow her lead. Whatever she refers to herself as, that's what you call her.

For me a whore is someone that does something for money. So anyone with a job is a whore. Just my opinion =)

Jessi said:
I think we should find out what people prefer to be called, and call them that.

Speaking for myself and myself alone, I dont really care what people call me, its the context and meaning they attach to it that matter. If Person A says camwhore in the most blunt and literal sense, and calls me that, I am okay with it. Yes I do sexual services in exchange for money, and I do it via webcam. I dont attach any negative feelings with the literal definition.

If Person B calls me a camwhore because they translate the word as something negative, then they are just trying to insult me and I don't interact with them anymore. You can generally tell when someone is trying to be rude to you and when they are being neutral.

When telling someone about my job, I try to guage them a little bit and decide what words to use. For some people it may be easier to explain using "camgirl" or "model" because I understand that whore is not a neutral word for everyone.
Ah totally! There are tons of words that I use that don't have any insult behind them, and it drives me crazy when someone just assumes from a word that I'm bashing them. It's all in how a word is used.

inkydoo said:
... more like "queer" or "fag" or "bitch".
And those are actually a few of the words I referred to above. When I use words like that, I never have ill-intent behind them, but all too often they're interpreted that way just because of the reputation of how OTHER people use them.

I would never call a prostitute whore, so I could never imagine calling a model that even if she uses it herself. I have called myself a corporate-whore and expressed interest in a career of being a man-whore since I saw the two Deuce Bigalow movies however.

Reactions: GypsyRuna
Every model will have her preferences, but please don't call a model a whore, camwhore, or something similar unless you see her using the term jokingly herself, and you have gotten to know her sense of humour. It's not worth it to make a crude joke if you risk offending her. This goes double for models whose first language is not English.

Sevrin said:
It's not worth it to make a crude joke if you risk offending her.

You and I apparently have very different ethical standards.

Attachments

• 1322801975651.png
    1322801975651.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 233
I'm just going to use the term CG from now on. I'm not exactly the PC type, but also don't really want to offend anyone unintentionally... so if ya see me type CG it's meant to be camgirl, camwhore, model, or whatever the women here personally prefer. It's easier to type too.

I feel that appending the suffix whore to anything is meant to be derogatory. While some uses are funny and the persons intentions might be good, it always seems to me there is a little dig at the person by using it.

It is great that many of you models can take and own the word, like many minorities have for racial and sexual orientation epitaphs. The english language is fluid and the meaning of words can change quite often from bad to good and vice versa. :twocents-02cents:

Just Me said:
I feel that appending the suffix whore to anything is meant to be derogatory. While some uses are funny and the persons intentions might be good, it always seems to me there is a little dig at the person by using it.

It is great that many of you models can take and own the word, like many minorities have for racial and sexual orientation epitaphs. The english language is fluid and the meaning of words can change quite often from bad to good and vice versa. :twocents-02cents:

If you would care to test your fluid English theory anywhere but on the internet, let us know how that goes.

Sevrin said:
Just Me said:

If you would care to test your fluid English theory anywhere but on the internet, let us know how that goes.
:lol: One area where "pioneering" can be deleterious to one's well-being. lol

Some people mistake us for whores but why spend mine if I can spend yours =P. I personally sometimes call myself a camwhore in a joking tone. If you call me a camwhore when I am not joking about it I will take offense to it because it would seem insulting to me.Other than that I do not care personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.