AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Cheap food?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairy_punk

Inactive Cam Model
Oct 21, 2016
Twitter Username
@crustygirl666
Tumblr Username
cocainefarm
MFC Username
princesspunk
Chaturbate Username
punkcouple2
Hi!
Because I don't have a lot of money, I usually just eat soup or pasta with ketchup, and I'm starting to get really tired of it. And when I cook, I usually do lunch boxes for my bf so he can take it with him to his job. We both are vegetarians.

So I need help with ideas for cheap food to cook in large quantities for lunchboxes. Thanks!

Reactions: Val Vega
Just to make sure, meat is out. But do you eat dairy products? Eggs okay? Does that also include no seafood? I never know what level just 'vegetarian' means any more. :)

Steamed rice and veggies with fried egg(s). Season rice with rice vinegar and furikake to take it up a notch.
Roasted veggies(toss with oil and seasoning before baking) with lentils or quinoa.
Make your own soup/broth from scraps of veggies (stalky bits of broccoli, ends/peels of carrots).
Red or Black beans and rice. Season with Cajun or Mexican spices for different 'meals'.
Oatmeal. Make it with water, milk, or tea. Add fruit. Make it savory with Sriracha.
Add veggies to your pasta along with different kinds of pasta sauces. Aldi has very cheap, very tasty pasta sauce.
Make your own veggie pizzas with bagels or naan.
Mushroom, spinach, and cheese enchiladas with either red or queso blanco sauce. Make a big pan or multiple pans of it at once, and freeze what you can't eat. Then you can just reheat it a portion at a time.

There's also this book that is a free PDF on how to eat on little money. It's not all vegetarian, but there are some good ideas/recipes in there.

ETA: Just realized you're not in the US. Some of that stuff might be harder to source, but I hope it gives you new ideas for similar ingredients.

Last edited:
Cheap staples I use are:

- Rice (you can buy giant bags)
- rice noodles (nice to add to soups to make them more filling)
- Tofu is pretty cheap, if you're lazy like me, get smoked Tofu. You can toss it in salads or soup or put on a sandwich
- vegetable broth/miso paste
- potatoes (roast, bake, fry, add to a soup)
- Kimchi is good on rice to kick up the flavour

Usually I stick to buying whatever veggies are on sale that week.

You can cook rice in vegetable broth to give it added flavour. or add pasta sauce/salsa to it as well. if you're short on time you can make a batch of soup or rice and keep it in the fridge for a few days.

I don't really like beans or chickpeas but those are also a cheap and easy way to make a dish more filling.

Happy cooking!

I eat dairy products and eggs is ok! No seafood or meat :)

Okay, dairy and eggs i can work with.

Well, obviously things with a lot of rice and beans are going to be cheaper. Maybe also pastas, especially if you can make your own. Not sure on how use to that you are.

For starters, Chili. Comes to my mind because I just made a big crock-pot full and I've been eating it for a couple days now.
If you can buy the dried beans and soak some of them overnight instead of the canned beans that helps a lot too. Not sure if you use TVP or just prefer it without any meat like stuff. If you don't own a crock-pot or don't want this to cook a long time, be sure to cook the beans a while before making the chili just to make sure they get done. You can also add two cans of red or black beans instead if you want to have it be quicker and easier. But that ups the cost a bit.
Beans, couple bigger cans of diced tomatoes, can of tomato sauce, large onion, 1 or 2 green peppers, 4 or 5 jalapenos, 4 or 5 cloves of garlic. For spices, 2 or 3 Tbsp of chili powder, 1 tsp cayenne powder, and 1/2 tsp cumin. (that's all that's really in those premade chili packets anyway) Taste the chili when it's mostly cooked to see if you need more heat (cayenne), chili flavor, or the earthy flavor of the cumin. But those amounts are usually a good starter for a big pot of chili. Think that about covers a basic chili, there's a bunch of recipes out there for variations. But chili is always good and cheap I think.

---

Not a vegetarian here, but I actually like meatless lasagna better. I usually have a spinach variety that uses ricotta and cottage cheese, and some diced celery and mushrooms. This also freezes GREAT in tupperware. So you can make this up on a Saturday as an extra meal that you freeze all of it. Then you're ready to just grab one of these during the week for lunch variety.

---

Look up a good Beef Lo-Mein recipe. Use sliced up Portobello mushrooms instead of beef. Great way to use cheap fettuccine noodles. It's even cheaper if you have a pasta machine and buy some semolina flour to make the noodles yourself. But it's not expensive even using store bought.

---

Homemade veggie pizza. If you can make your own dough for crust it helps make it cheaper over the packet mixes. I usually make a half cookie sheet pan at a time. For sauce instead of buying jars of pizza sauce, get a regular 15 oz. can of tomato sauce, and add in a 6 oz can of tomato paste. Then half teaspoon of basil or oregano (maybe both, experiment!), a bit of S&P and a pinch of sugar. Sugar helps bring out the flavors a lot. Heat that up just a bit to incorporate it all, does't need to be boiled or anything. 84 cents for sauce, 50 cents for paste. Say $1.40 with spices to make 21 ounces. In my area a 14 oz. jar of premade sauce is $1.42. So basically it cuts the cost down by a third making it your own. I just freeze the extra for next time. These are all the cheaper brand prices but it works out about the same savings if you use more costly brand comparisons.

For a variation on this, and to make it much quicker, skip the pizza dough. Use large tortilla shells instead. PERFECT thin crust single serving pizza. Trade off on cost for time savings and much less effort though. This one has onion, green pepper, mushroom, jalapeno, and sliced roma tomatoes (no, that's not pepperoni haha)
SAM_1619.JPG

---

Basic roux recipe is 1 cup milk, 1 Tbsp butter, 1 Tbsp flour. Melt the butter, toss in the flour and stir it in. Cook that for a bit to help get rid of the flour taste. Then add the milk a bit at a time and whisk it all together. Gently bring to a boil, stirring all the time. That thickens it up. With that basic recipe there's so many variations. And of course you can scale it up as needed, just keep those 1 to 1 to 1 proportions the same.

Then with that basic recipe in mind:

Basic roux sauce, but add in some white pepper and a nice amount of Parmesan cheese. Alfredo sauce. Serve that over wider noodles.

Basic roux sauce, add in some finely chopped carrots (so they cook fast), add in some of the Better Than Boullion (no chicken base), and some S&P and parsley. Then serve with bowtie pasta or Orecchiette pasta (I think of that as the thumbprint pasta). Those tend to hold a nice light sauce well.
81JwwrnaAGL._SX522_.jpg

Basic roux recipe, precook some larger sliced carrots and add in. Then toss in some cut zucchini and some frozen peas. Not too long of cooking on those last two, just want to heat them up, not overcook them. Cook up some cheese tortellini on the side and stir that in with the sauce. May need to do that double or triple batch of sauce with this, tortellini is a heartier pasta and goes good with more sauce.

Basic roux recipe, add in some of your favorite melting cheese. Stir into elbow macaroni for mac n cheese. Cheddar is common, but I also love this with smoked gouda. That is a bit more expensive of a cheese though, so keep that in mind. I've mixed a small amount of gouda with cheddar just to get some of the flavor and still keep the cost down. Can also add in chopped broccoli that you cook up. Always goes good with mac n cheese. So many cheese and other addition variations on the internet for mac n cheese. Just look them up and see what you like.

Basic roux recipe, only make a double batch AND add in one extra cup of milk. then also add a can of cream of mushroom soup, jar of diced pimento. Melt in about a pound of shredded mild cheddar and 4 Tbsp parmesan cheeses (see note at the end of this recipe for a crust option here). Put in some of that 'chickenless' bouillon, a tsp of garlic powder and some S&P to taste. Then also cook up a pound of spaghetti noodles and drain them. Mix the sauce and the noodles and then also add in 1/2 large chopped onion, a cup of fresh chopped mushrooms, and a diced green pepper. Mix that all up. It should be a bit watery at this point, not dry, so if you need to add a bit more milk at this point, do it and don't worry. You bake that at 325F for 55 minutes. Stir it a couple times during. The cheese will help thicken this up (hence the not wanting it to be dry before cooking) Optional crust: the last 10 minutes, if you saved aside some of the cheddar, sprinkle the top with a bit of that. Can mix that with some more parmesan and some bread crumbs to make it go further. Let that slightly brown for a nice crust. This is basically a chicken free Chicken Tetrazzini. So if you want some variations or different amounts, just look up recipes for that to get ideas.

---

I think also an Asian broccoli salad would be good, but it really depends on how expensive broccoli is in your area and at certain times of the year. About half the year in my area it gets expensive so I don't make this as much as I like. Instead of copy pasting the recipe I'll just post a screen shot. It's originally from walmart. They use to give out recipe cards in the store, the original is from that. And they sold this in the deli that i'm sure is the same recipe only with less bacon to save money. I loved it. So I reworked it for a 'light' version that is also still really good. Obviously for you, skip the bacon all together to make this vegetarian. You can also substitute pine nuts instead of sunflower for a slight different taste, but those are more expensive. You can mix and match between the two calorie versions here to do what you like. The original is of course better, but you up the calorie count by 1100 with the full mayo choice alone.
FoxitReader_2016-11-15_12-30-28.png

This is the light version. And I used imitation baco bits (soy based) so it actually is vegetarian, I think, and less calories than the recipe says, but still with a bit of bacon flavor.
SAM_1493.JPG

---

Rice dish, think fajita's here, but with rice to make it go further. 1 or 2 cups rice (uncooked amount) depending on how much you want to make and how cheap you want to make it (more rice makes it cheaper per meal that way). Cook that up and work on the other stuff while it's cooking. Sliced up green pepper or two, large onion sliced, mushrooms, garlic. (other veggies too if you like, I make this off the top of my head every time) Pan fry up all the veggies to brown them and caramelize a bit. Then I add in a couple packets of fajita spices. It needs two because you have a large portion of this as rice, which is bland by itself. So you have to power that up a bit. But you can vary the spice packets up a lot. They make so many different flavored packets: cheesy enchilada, taco, cheesy taco, slow cooker fiesta flavor (some of these may have some bouillon you don't want, check ingredients. I'm not sure on these.) There's also a pulled pork BBQ spice pack that is good. My store has a lot of different ones for variations in this recipe. I've even used chili spices (see recipe above for using your own spices) in this.
Then once you get all this made, wrap it up in a large tortilla wrap. Quite often before I wrap it up I'll add on one or more of: sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, or fresh diced roma tomatoes. Usually two or more at the same time.
I can see you not wanting to wrap all this before hand to send as a lunch with your BF. But a bowl of the rice veggie mix, and the extras on the side in containers, and tortilla shells maybe folded up. That way he could nuke the main dish and wrap it up fresh. Should still be good. I do leftovers that way for days after when i make this. I make large batches.
Oh, and if you want some more variations. Instead of the spice packets, cut the rice down to 1 cup or less (pre cooked amount), but then add in a box of prepared Rice-a-Roni. Whatever flavor floats your boat there. So many variations of that. And it's still cheap enough. I do that once in a while.

I cook meals from scratch every day and feed my partner and me for under or around $70 a week. My staples are:

-RICE. I buy 25-50lb bags, or the largest bag I can afford. It saves you unit price over time. I've also found that huge bags of rice are cheaper at Asian markets.

-Beans. I cook them myself when possible from dry.

-I make my own bread from scratch to keep it super cheap. This is a very simple easy-to-make multigrain bread, it's no-knead, and makes a lot: https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/threads/share-your-favorite-recipes.20731/#post-628547

-Noodles with home made peanut sauce (I typed out the unit prices and everything with the whole recipe, it's very cheap and you can make a LOT at a time. This includes chicken because I wrote this out before I was vegan, but I make it without chicken now. Tofu would be good in it, though. https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/threads/dmp-daily-model-ponderings-2015.19789/page-446#post-603863)

-Sometimes I roll up refried vegetarian beans in corn tortillas and bake them then drizzle hot sauce or salsa on them. Good next to chili or tortilla soup.

-Pumpkin soup. Pumpkin is cheap this time of year, and highly nutritious. You can take the seeds out and roast them in the oven to eat for healthy whole fats. Plus, they're delicious. This is the recipe I use, but I take out the sweetener because I like it more savory: http://cookieandkate.com/2014/creamy-vegan-pumpkin-soup/

-Pasta with homemade sauce. Get crushed tomatoes, sautee some onion and garlic in oil (or water-sautee in a pinch), pour in tomatoes, add salt, pepper, and dried herbs like basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and parsley to taste. Simmer for a bit. If you like it thicker you can add a little tomato paste, but I often don't. If you play your cards right this is definitely cheaper than the jarred stuff, and it tastes waaaaaay better.

-I opt for bouillon or concentrated broth rather than canned broth a lot of the time to defray costs.

-I buy bulk vegetables rather than packaged vegetables. For instance, a head of romaine can cost as little as 50 cents, but a package of romaine leaves or hearts could be 3 dollars.

-I eat oatmeal for breakfast a lot. Quick and cheap. Don't get the packaged stuff, it's marked up. Just get old fashioned or quick rolled oats, add your favorite sweetener, a pinch of salt, and cinnamon. I sometimes put some berries, apple, or dates in, too.

-POTATOES. Potatoes are another staple for me. Eat them any way you can. Baked potatoes, oven fries, soup, mashed, however.I love them baked with chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. Sometimes Italian seasoning too.

-Roasted root veggies on brown rice. I roughly chop one big sweet potato, 2 carrots, 1 or 2 parsnips, and 3 medium red potatoes, toss them in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add salt and pepper, add any other seasonings that sound good, and put them on lightly oiled baking trays or un-oiled parchment if I want to reduce oil, bake them at 425 until they're golden and easily pierced with a fork (like 30ish minutes) and I throw in some sliced red onion about ten minutes before the end. Meanwhile, I make a huge pot of brown rice. I put the veggies on top of the rice, and then put some sort of sauce on if I want. Steak sauce gives it a very steak house taste, but aioli, lemon juice, tahini, or whatever else you like would also be awesome. This gives us a few meals because it makes a lot.

-My partner eats a lot of bananas. They're one of the cheapest fruits you'll find.

-Hodge-podge smoothies. This is a smoothie made of whatever fruit I currently have frozen. I keep an eye out for cheap produce and buy as much as I can for freezing to use while there is no cheap fruit in the following weeks. Usually I add cheap bunch spinach to the smoothies, too.

-Peanut butter and jelly. I'm very fortunate that I adore this childhood classic. I like to eat them for snacks or a small lunch. I use my home made bread for it.

-Black bean burgers. You can find pretty great recipes for these, I just basically throw together a couple cups of beans, a flax egg (cheaper than real eggs, I might add), steamed potato, sauteed peppers and onions, some bread crumbs for extra binding, season it however I like, and then make patties out of the goop and cook them in a pan. I make these a lot. Super filling.

Also... Fiber is important. Fiber rich foods will keep you satisfied better. Pick foods that are rich in nutrients and fiber. I usually opt for pastas that have oat fiber put into them, or ancient grains pasta. Most of them are only a few cents more expensive than regular pasta, but much more satisfying.

The secret to delicious cheap cooking is to make things from scratch as much as possible. The best way to do this is to have cheap staples that you dress up with seasonings and sauces. Over time, building a good solid spice collection will take you far in your inexpensive cooking adventures. My top most used seasonings are black pepper, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, Old Bay, chili powder, onion and garlic powder, and cumin. Get staples first, then whatever vegetables are on sale and you can afford, and then spend the rest of your food budget to help build up a spice collection one at a time. You don't have to get the expensive stuff, either.

I get the ads from each of my local stores each week, and I figure out where my staples are the cheapest and then get them there. If there is a big sale on cheap mangoes or pineapple or the like, I buy a lot and freeze them for future use.

That's how I keep it cheap and healthy. I post a lot of recipes in models only if you hang out in there at all. :h:

Also, sorry to anyone without access to models only who can't see my recipes I posted from in there. Totally PM me if you want and I'll copy-paste and send them to you.

Another good thing for lunchboxes is veggies and hummus! You can make your own hummus at home if you have food processor or a good blender - it is SUPER easy and requires only a few ingredients! The Tahini itself is a little bit on the pricey side, but one jar has always lasted me several batches - so it is still way cheaper than store bought! For hummus, all you need is Tahini, lemon juice, chickpeas, olive oil, and any extra flavoring (spices, garlic, roasted red peppers, etc). Some people like to dip pita bread, others like to use pretzel chips, but I'm obsessed with raw veggies dipped in hummus. That's like my fave snack recently!

But other than that, I definitely second all of the other suggestions! As a veggiehead who went through more than one rough patch - rice is pretty much your best friend. With all sorts of sauces and spices out there, yon make some very flexible yet filling dishes inspired from culinary traditions all over the world, so it makes it harder to get burnt out on! Veggie burritos are super quick (I use corn and black beans as the "meat", though sometimes I go fajita style and cook up onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc). Add in tomatoes and guac and spinach - and you have a pretty healthy meal with leftovers that can usually last a day or two! I also love making big batches of soups! Veggie stews, pasta soups, chillis - I am pretty obsessed with soups! There are some really amazing recipes for homemade veggie burgers that are effing DELICIOUS! Way cheaper than store bought - but they can be pretty time consuming to make from scratch. Less useful for a lunchbox, but egg dinners are a cheap but delicious filled. I used to eat a ton of eggs before my body became allergic to them. French toast, scrambled, and omelets especially! You can throw in veggies and salsas and spices, so you never have the same omelet twice!

Another good thing for lunchboxes is veggies and hummus! You can make your own hummus at home if you have food processor or a good blender - it is SUPER easy and requires only a few ingredients! The Tahini itself is a little bit on the pricey side, but one jar has always lasted me several batches - so it is still way cheaper than store bought! For hummus, all you need is Tahini, lemon juice, chickpeas, olive oil, and any extra flavoring (spices, garlic, roasted red peppers, etc). Some people like to dip pita bread, others like to use pretzel chips, but I'm obsessed with raw veggies dipped in hummus. That's like my fave snack recently!

But other than that, I definitely second all of the other suggestions! As a veggiehead who went through more than one rough patch - rice is pretty much your best friend. With all sorts of sauces and spices out there, yon make some very flexible yet filling dishes inspired from culinary traditions all over the world, so it makes it harder to get burnt out on! Veggie burritos are super quick (I use corn and black beans as the "meat", though sometimes I go fajita style and cook up onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc). Add in tomatoes and guac and spinach - and you have a pretty healthy meal with leftovers that can usually last a day or two! I also love making big batches of soups! Veggie stews, pasta soups, chillis - I am pretty obsessed with soups! There are some really amazing recipes for homemade veggie burgers that are effing DELICIOUS! Way cheaper than store bought - but they can be pretty time consuming to make from scratch. Less useful for a lunchbox, but egg dinners are a cheap but delicious filled. I used to eat a ton of eggs before my body became allergic to them. French toast, scrambled, and omelets especially! You can throw in veggies and salsas and spices, so you never have the same omelet twice!

Ooh, oooh! I forgot to say I make my own tahini! Put sesame seeds in a pan, heat them until they're golden brown, then food processor. It's creamier if you add a little oil to the process, too, but you don't have to. It just takes longer and isn't as creamy if you don't. You can get sesame seeds in bulk for cheaper than packaged, but I've also found that Asian markets have them cheaper than supermarkets.

Ooh, oooh! I forgot to say I make my own tahini! Put sesame seeds in a pan, heat them until they're golden brown, then food processor. It's creamier if you add a little oil to the process, too, but you don't have to. It just takes longer and isn't as creamy if you don't. You can get sesame seeds in bulk for cheaper than packaged, but I've also found that Asian markets have them cheaper than supermarkets.

MindBlown.gif

This might be the most life-changing post I have read this week. I definitely HAVE to try this!

View attachment 66923

This might be the most life-changing post I have read this week. I definitely HAVE to try this!

The first time I did it I was so scared it wouldn't come together because it does take several minutes.. You just have to trust that it eventually will! Add some oil if you get impatient, I often do. I try to avoid refined oil as much as possible though, so if I have the time I just let it process forever until it shapes up.

I know this is some what unrelated but I started on the doctor john Mcdougall starch baced diet. And only use about 3-4dollars a day. It might be worth looking in to if you are going the vegetarian rout anyways :) only minus I have found is that it's almost impossible to go out to eat. Because most places will cook with oils and such. :)

Reactions: Hairy_punk
I would invest in almond milk, oatmilk, brown rice, mineral water, coconut milk, vegetables, fruits, eggs, honey, and beans.

Things to make:
brown rice with coconut milk and green onions

honey and brown sugar rice cereal

Curried mango with green mint

Pepperpot- Usually, a meat dish but you can used potatoes with cinnamon, cassava root , coconut milk, Caribbean hot peppers.

Coconut cornbread with rice and coconut rice

Barbadian sweet potatoes: Sweet potatoes cooked in nutmeg, orange juice, rum and butter for 25 mins.

Carrot and orange soup

Mineral water to drink :)

Reactions: Ariadne O!
Reactions: Ariadne O! and Gen
There's this sweet little old lady who was alive during The Depression who has a series of videos you can find on YouTube called "Depression Cooking" and even though quite a bit of it isn't stuff I eat because I am vegan, I've enjoyed watching a few of her videos because it's interesting to learn how they cooked when money was very tight. Plus the lady in the videos is so sweet and she tells stories.

There's this sweet little old lady who was alive during The Depression who has a series of videos you can find on YouTube called "Depression Cooking" and even though quite a bit of it isn't stuff I eat because I am vegan, I've enjoyed watching a few of her videos because it's interesting to learn how they cooked when money was very tight. Plus the lady in the videos is so sweet and she tells stories.

Nice. Someone else likes that channel too.
97.gif

https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/t...ou-think-are-amazing.18145/page-2#post-687326

Reactions: BlairLuxe

This literally made me cry.I wasn`t born in US but I know the history,and whenever the grandparents of my husband tell me stories about the great depression I end up crying.I come from an former communist country (but was born 2 years after that) and its still sad.

• Hugs
Reactions: BlairLuxe
I'm not sure if you have a decent fridge but the less processed things tend to cost less. Fruits / veggies are generally under a buck per item, you can usually buy banana's and such by piece which is about 49 cents in most places (even organic one's are about that much in my area)

Reactions: Ariadne O!
Cheap staples I use are:

- Kimchi is good on rice to kick up the flavour

Happy cooking!

Garlic breath isn't good! As a Korean I used get complaints from my friends with my garlic breath. Brushing my teeth like crazy didn't help. :p

The way I save money is by buying food that can be used in more than one meal. Example:
I want to make tacos, so I buy lettuce, tomatoes, ground meat, and tortillas. I also pick up cheese and sliced deli meat because I know that there's going to be lettuce and tortillas left over so I can make some wraps later that week. I can grab some bread too since I will have meat and cheese to throw on some sandwiches. I feed 3 people in my house and I cook often. I rarely spend more than an average of 60-75 a week. Some weeks we eat fancy, others we are eating boiled eggs and yogurt. Your health comes first though, so no matter what your budget is, remember that protein>carbs. Put down the bread and bagels and pick up something with good protein, fiber, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.