AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Do you ever feel like some of your talents are overshadowed?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun__

V.I.P. AmberLander
Jul 16, 2011
Do you ever feel like some of your talents are overshadowed by your looks? I just saw a picture of Chaturbate's Shirley, and instead of wondering if she is a good chief operating officer I wondered if she is a former model.

A second after catching myself wondering that I felt guilty for it, and started to ask if I do it more often than I realize. I do not think I have ever asked myself if a male COO ever did adult work.

Do you feel people only see your body, and never see your brain metaphorically speaking? If yes, do you hate this, or do you use their blindspot to gain a good bargaining position in life?

Does anyone wish people saw them only for their body more often?

What talents do you want people to know you have?

Re: Do you ever feel like some of your talents are overshado

This is mostly in response to your last question, and it's something I deal with frequently and have talked about in the Models Only section.

I sing and play guitar and piano. I'm not sure how to say this without sounding like a complete egotistical dickface, but I sing really, really well. I'm not about to go on American Idol or anything, but I frontlined a cover band and have done professional projects here and there. I can sing everything from delicate Sarah Mclachlan-type stuff to broadway to Whitney Houston to rockier things like Journey and GNR and the Darkness. Unfortunately, every time I try to showcase it on cam and/or add it to my camming life, it goes mostly unnoticed. No one watches me, and I feel like I'm thrusting it upon people. Granted, when I sing on cam, it's not my best- typically, I perform best in a large space (karaoke bar, on stage, etc.) where I have space to project and really commit to what I'm singing, and singing and playing when I haven't memorized the instrumental is sometimes admittedly pretty clunky. Anyway, it's hard for me because I see a lot of other girls (some very new) get lots of attention and recognition for their music and/or being "musical camgirls", and I wish I was one of them. I have a long history of never being acknowledged for being good at things, so it's sort of a sore spot for me.

Other than that, I feel like the people who have supported me in the past have been all/mostly about my brain- I've never had trouble being treated as just a sex object, but that might be because unless I'm dancing or doing a cumshow, I'm not an obviously sexy person. When I first started, I was WAY more about reciting pi and solving Rubik's Cube and explaining the Copenhagen interpretation than doing sexy things (I think). So if anything, I feel like I might fall in the camp of wishing people saw me for my looks more often.

But don't you think that, for the COO of a cam site, being a former model would have been a complementary talent?
Also:
Lara is a long-timer compared to the most in the biz. She started selling content in 2003, which lead to other work in the biz — from content development, traffic, websites and working with models
I'm not sure if they imply selling content as a performer or a producer, but you could have been right anyway.

Hmmmmmmm.
Tricky questions.
I have a lot of talents, without trying to sound braggy. I've always been one of those people who can pick something up and be quite decent at it.
That being said, I feel like I bring a lot of my talents into what I do as a cam girl anyways.
Being a non explicit model I'm constantly trying to explore different creative outlets and find ways to keep members enticed and interested.
I paint, fairly well. I've had my work in an art gallery and sold to the public. I dance, Ive done theatre. I have loved and been quite decent at photography from a young age, and I'm pretty intelligent (A average at uni level).
I've had many members tell me that my creativity and mind is what keeps them coming back, as well as my looks im sure, but largely I don't feel like my looks over shadow my talents and skills at all.
I think looks get people into a girls room but the personality and talents of the individual are what keep people coming back.
Oddly, being a camgirl is the one job I feel less objectified at than any other job. I don't know why.

I'm with Lilah right up to the end part. Unfortunately, because I'm a softcore solo male model on CB, I am pretty reliant on other forms of entertainment. Luckily, I can provide those services. Unfortunately, no one's buying. It might just be the atmosphere of CB vs. other sites, and I wish to test that, but people come into my room pretty much exclusively for sexual reasons. The ones that stay for the long haul are staying for the fun and goofiness, sense of community, intellectual conversation, entertainment, music, etc. The only problem, and what's currently forced me into another hiatus, is that from my perception the people who stay don't see this as "worth tipping for".

Those that stay in my room for the atmosphere and companionship don't tip. Those that tip usually just want me naked. I have gotten tons of positive feedback on games and music and goofy shit in my room, but rarely do people that I don't know on a personal level actually tip for it.

Given all that, it is pretty hard to keep shows fresh and mix things up despite having tons of elaborate show and activity ideas. Every night was starting to be wait, greet people, shoot the shit, dance, strip, rinse, repeat. Whenever it was a fun night where I could break out my other talents, it just wasn't profitable and actually would kill my room counts most of the time. Damn shame, really, those were the most fun for everyone... but a Deezy gotta eat. =(

At the end of the day, I know what my worth is as a guitarist of 16 years, singer, drummer, composer, songwriter, poet, whatever. I know what my decade of art, degree in the field and tattoo certification are worth. If my room wants to miss out on that aspect of me as a person, that's *their* loss.

They are seeing what they are looking for. They come into my room because they find me physically attractive, half of them probably have the cam muted... it's a superficial business (and a superficial world). That doesn't stop me from making music or art in my personal life.

I would be lying if I said it didn't suck massive horse-cock seeing other models who have not invested nearly as much of their lives or passion into their craft making a massive profit off of something I can barely make $2 off, but that's just the way of any branch of the entertainment industry.

Shaun__ said:
Do you ever feel like some of your talents are overshadowed by your looks?

If I were a model I think id worry about the opposite too, not that my looks were overshadowing my talents, but that people were saying I was talented because of my looks.

Yeah, I guess that's one more thing I wish were acknowledged more often. I owned a photography business for several years and am entirely self-taught in photography, editing, videography, and web design. My current profile notwithstanding (as it's under construction), my profile usually looks amazing. But no one ever mentions me when people are talking about pretty profiles or graphic design skills, and I've had camgirls actively disparage me and the work I've done by telling me that a visually pleasing profile doesn't matter and girls shouldn't worry about what theirs looks like, all the while recommending graphic designers whose work looks insanely cheap and tacky. I also shoot and edit all of my own videos (you can see a preview here), but people rarely buy them despite free previews and gifs.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as katza. I have a long list of party tricks and shit to brag about- National Geographic awarded photographer, nationally awarded painter, slam poet, bachelor's degree in critical theory and creative writing, I pick up languages easily, dabble in quantum mechanics, logic, and other left-brained shit, and (obviously most impressively) I can rap "Worldwide Choppers" by Tech N9NE :lol: . Growing up, it was always my dream to be a polymath like DaVinci. Unfortunately, unlike katza, my experience has been more along the lines of Deez's. And lately, I've been feeling increasingly like "I really thought I was moderately attractive, until I started camming. I really thought I was musically talented, until I started camming." Where Deez seems to hold on to the confidence of "well, I've been doing this for a decade, if they don't want to embrace it, it's their loss," I've found that my confidence has started waning.

So while there's immense potential to be objectified and reduced to just a body or just a mind, there is also the potential to be dying to be reduced to a body or mind, if it means being looked at at all.

(Sorry if I sound bitter- I'm going through a hard time lately and have been feeling invisible.)

LilahMorrigan said:
(Sorry if I sound bitter- I'm going through a hard time lately and have been feeling invisible.)

^Said every smart woman at least once in their life.

I think we can all agree that people often want live interaction with the feeling of inclusion, and without actually having to participate if they don't have to. That often means that while a camgirl is saying or doing something interesting the member is perusing at least one other tab while probably also playing a video game...often the camgirl will maybe even be on mute, because then no one in their place will hear her, or perhaps they don't want to deal with conversation. This is a big problem if you are doing anything musical, especially if they didn't realize you were a musician, because they had you on mute. Things on cam are 1st visual. I haven't been to your room, but unless you have the actual instrument on cam, and maybe just do a small bit every day...then they likely don't connect you with music at all. It isn't what they expected, so since they didn't plan on having their sound on, they get quiet or leave.

Though I hate seeming too gimmicky, I think it is important for camgirls to have something about them that members always see at some point. It works as association, and in turn they learn interests and talents. For instance, I had a bookshelf in my first camroom. It had my favorites, as well as several of my language books at the time (as I was finishing my degree). After a point I even started getting trolled slightly by people trying to know whether or not I actually knew so many languages. After they noted I could both speak and type in them; they knew I was the real deal. I had my guitar in the background too, and though I've never done music related shows really, I would from time to time play it when a member asked.

You mention photography...maybe display something that isn't only online, like also in your camroom? Perhaps make wall art? I know a LOT of members automatically assume pictures and videos are done by pros, especially if they're really high in quality. Chances are without asking or reading, they just decided you had those done by a pro.

tl;dr
Basically, don't just think of how something can be appealing, but how to connect it with your audience.

katza_ said:
I have loved and been quite decent at photography from a young age
LilahMorrigan said:
I owned a photography business for several years and am entirely self-taught in photography, editing, videography, and web design.
This thread makes me sad because I've already had to read about two models speaking about their photography skills in the past tense.
/eclipse, who's actually going to pick some photography port he ordered.

Reactions: Sansa

eclipse76 said:
katza_ said:
I have loved and been quite decent at photography from a young age
LilahMorrigan said:
I owned a photography business for several years and am entirely self-taught in photography, editing, videography, and web design.
This thread makes me sad because I've already had to read about two models speaking about their photography skills in the past tense.
/eclipse, who's actually going to pick some photography port he ordered.

I appreciate your intention, and I fucking love your avatar, but katza's statement was in Present Perfect (that is, she has been good at it since she was young), and mine was only referring to the business ownership in the past tense, which is fine and dandy by me because I hated the administrative side of owning that kind of business and weddings were way too fucking stressful for me. So don't be sad! :mrgreen: :thumbleft:

MFCGod said:
Shaun__ said:

If I were a model I think id worry about the opposite too, not that my looks were overshadowing my talents, but that people were saying I was talented because of my looks.

I was more wondering about their offline lives, like when they are talking to their mechanic or interviewing for jobs. I am assuming, with no one bringing it up, that they are fine wandering around in the offline world for the most part.

Shaun__ said:
MFCGod said:
Shaun__ said:

I was more wondering about their offline lives, like when they are talking to their mechanic or interviewing for jobs. I am assuming, with no one bringing it up, that they are fine wandering around in the offline world for the most part.

Ahhh, sorry if I misunderstood and derailed the thread!

I don't experience any sort of treatment like you've described, partly because I don't interact with people in that capacity very often, and partly because my looks aren't the bombshell kind that would eclipse my personality/skills/whatever. If people find out I'm a camgirl... that's a different story. That's often a one-way ticket to sexual-objectification town. Like, all of a sudden dudes are like WHOA YOU HAVE A BODY AND ARE FUCKABLE WHODATHUNKIT!?

Shaun__ said:
MFCGod said:
Shaun__ said:

This! I was recently discussing a potential job opportunity in a business professional setting for a company in a heavily male dominated field. My connection to the company was like and I quote "don't look all hot for the interview. He doesn't like to hire hot women they're too much of a distraction"

Err I've had interviews before I get it. I'm not going to show up in a mini skirt or with a cleavage top
But I got to thinking even if I hag it up for the interview if my clothes remotely fit me... you're going to see I have a shape and a face like I can't wear a potato sack dammit! Where do you draw the line. My "business professional attire" from regular business lady stores seems more sexy than my walking around clothes.
That shit annoys me to no end.

double post!

It kind of can go both ways though... car thing.. I bought a truck with like no information on me at a dealership and a guy friend went with me for assistance but I'm pretty sure the low cut top helped get my approval pushed through for financing.
When I picked up the vehicle to drive home, which is slightly masculine/aggressive looking,
"yeah it's cool though. I think I could pull it off"
guy who sold it to me
"oh! I think you could pull of anything. ;) "

*runs home to shower*

Shaun__ said:
MFCGod said:
Shaun__ said:

I've had a lot of trouble talking to doctors, but I'm not 100% sure if that's a looks thing or just a "she's complaining about back pain, she must be trying to get drugs" thing. Other professionals tend to take me seriously because I am very straightforward in my approach and very precise describing the problem or what I want.

While a friend has suggested that the reason that I get hired quite easily for any job I apply to is because I'm pretty, I would argue that it's not quite the case. My looks do play a part, but it's what I do with them that does it. If a man is interviewing me, I wear my green satin blouse, pinstripe trousers and occasionally a suit jacket, smart pumps, and wear my hair down. My makeup will be "natural" with red lips. If a woman is interviewing me, I wear my 50's housewife dress, heeled sandals, and my hair up, with a soft smoky eye and "natural" lips.

As far as everyday life, it depends on what part of my city you live in. In some neighborhoods, you can walk around in short shorts and be perfectly unbothered, while in others (the ones full of rednecks, really), you can't walk to the corner and back without people whistling and hollering at you. Though, that's less a result of being "notably attractive" and more a result of being "breathing, with tits and a vagina".

SaffronBurke said:
Shaun__ said:
MFCGod said:
Shaun__ said:

I've had a lot of trouble talking to doctors, but I'm not 100% sure if that's a looks thing or just a "she's complaining about back pain, she must be trying to get drugs" thing. Other professionals tend to take me seriously because I am very straightforward in my approach and very precise describing the problem or what I want.

While a friend has suggested that the reason that I get hired quite easily for any job I apply to is because I'm pretty, I would argue that it's not quite the case. My looks do play a part, but it's what I do with them that does it. If a man is interviewing me, I wear my green satin blouse, pinstripe trousers and occasionally a suit jacket, smart pumps, and wear my hair down. My makeup will be "natural" with red lips. If a woman is interviewing me, I wear my 50's housewife dress, heeled sandals, and my hair up, with a soft smoky eye and "natural" lips.

As far as everyday life, it depends on what part of my city you live in. In some neighborhoods, you can walk around in short shorts and be perfectly unbothered, while in others (the ones full of rednecks, really), you can't walk to the corner and back without people whistling and hollering at you. Though, that's less a result of being "notably attractive" and more a result of being "breathing, with tits and a vagina".

I had men comment on my ass, after mistaking me for a woman once. I think some men, who are not wearing glasses they need for reading or driving, randomly cat call just incase the thing they see off in the distance has a vagina.

Shaun__ said:
I had men comment on my ass, after mistaking me for a woman once. I think some men, who are not wearing glasses they need for reading or driving, randomly cat call just incase the thing they see off in the distance has a vagina.

... I've thought you were a woman this whole time.

I actually prefer camming to other forms of adult work (I got into the adult industry via fetish porn) and the reason is exactly the answer for this (which for me is actually pretty much no). For the most part, guys really do want to know my talents and see that I have a personality and so on. I mean obviously sex sells, but I guess none of us would be in this industry if we didn't understand the value of sex appeal. I'm just glad to be able to do adult work where I can actually showcase my mind as well as my body.

Now take this question and focus on people's opinions outside of camming (models, customers etc.) because a lot of vanilla minds think you have to be a drug addict, dumb as a rock or desperate to want to do any kind of sex work and I think that sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.