AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Doctor Who

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually have never had any non-cyber friends into Doctor Who, except one I used to talk to at my cousin's baseball games lol I keep it quiet too when I would go on cam so my room wouldn't just become a the Whovian discussion room lol. I only recently finally broke my rule and started mentioning it on twitter and now here. I'm pretty much ready to explode whenever someone asks me about the show, whether I have spoilers or not lol

So many pics I could post from this episode and the 50th *headdesk*

Children of Earth (season 3) was pretty good.

I think that season 4 dragged on a bit too long and would have worked better in a shorter seasonal framework.

-DP

I've watched every episode of classic Who, got books and Who guides, been to conventions where I've met 3 of the original Doctors and 4 assistants. But for the life of me I just can't get into the new episodes. I've managed to sit through the first two of the new seasons (with fast forwarding through a lot of the boring parts). But every episode it just gets harder to start the next one.

Do they get better at all in season 3 and beyond? And lilyevans, you don't need to respond, i already know your answer, you Whovian you. :lol:

There's a mix of spectacular and not-so-spectacular storylines.
David Tennant's Doctor is still my favourite, although I haven't watched enough of the classic series to form an opinion on those iterations of the character. I would have to say that the current Doctor (Matt Smith) is merely "okay."

My Dad is a huge fan of classic Doctor Who, and having seen much of it, Matt Smith is a bit more than okay compared to some of the over the top acting in the old series. Every series has it golden stories, problem is so many people only remember those from the classic episodes and then compare them to ALL the episodes in the new series. David Tennant(I love him) had some bad stories too. To watch the new series you have to ask yourself "Do you like Doctor Who, or 'did' you like Doctor Who?" There will be good times and bad, but in the end, it's the Doctor and like life, he moves on. Come regenerate past the grouchy guy with the question mark umbrella and past that awful movie lol

Reactions: emptiedglass
JerryBoBerry said:
I've watched every episode of classic Who, got books and Who guides, been to conventions where I've met 3 of the original Doctors and 4 assistants. But for the life of me I just can't get into the new episodes. I've managed to sit through the first two of the new seasons (with fast forwarding through a lot of the boring parts). But every episode it just gets harder to start the next one.

Do they get better at all in season 3 and beyond? And lilyevans, you don't need to respond, i already know your answer, you Whovian you. :lol:

It is a one hour format compared to half hour of the original. This, and the budget, allows the episodes to be more epic. I find most of the new who episodes quite watchable with all of the new companions up to last two good.

JerryBoBerry said:

When I am trying to introduce a friend to Doctor Who (or sometimes re-introduce, because they didn't like it when they tried the first time) I often suggest that they skip the first couple of seasons of the reboot. Obviously I think that there is a lot of spectacular stuff there and of course once they are hooked they watch from the beginning. :) So hearing that you have been having a hard time getting through the first two seasons is no surprise to me! I have an episode formula for hooking people on the show which might work for you, feel free to PM me if you would like it! I'm sure some would disagree with it but it has not failed me yet as far as accomplishing its goal!

I have to say that avoiding Doctor Who spoilers might be one of THE most challenging parts of being a camgirl for me.It's something I'm learning to let go of, of course. Spoilers come with the territory when you put a flashing Doctor Who beacon over your head. :lol: Of course I will not share these spoilers here because I would never do that to you guys! :h:

KayleePond said:
JerryBoBerry said:

When I am trying to introduce a friend to Doctor Who (or sometimes re-introduce, because they didn't like it when they tried the first time) I often suggest that they skip the first couple of seasons of the reboot. Obviously I think that there is a lot of spectacular stuff there and of course once they are hooked they watch from the beginning. :) So hearing that you have been having a hard time getting through the first two seasons is no surprise to me! I have an episode formula for hooking people on the show which might work for you, feel free to PM me if you would like it! I'm sure some would disagree with it but it has not failed me yet as far as accomplishing its goal!

I have to say that avoiding Doctor Who spoilers might be one of THE most challenging parts of being a camgirl for me.It's something I'm learning to let go of, of course. Spoilers come with the territory when you put a flashing Doctor Who beacon over your head. :lol: Of course I will not share these spoilers here because I would never do that to you guys! :h:

The Who Formula by Kaylee Pond lol I like it :)

I agree with Kaylee about skipping the first few series when introducing a new viewer to the show. I have loved Doctor Who a little too much all my life, and think its the best show ever. But I realise it isn't for everyone. I usually show a friend the third series episode 'Blink' and if they aren't impressed by that concede Doctor Who may not be for them! I have a few friends though that started here, then watched a few other suggested highlight episodes, then went back and watched the entire series. Some of the harder to get through episodes are a little better when you know there will be a pay-off because of the series story arcs.

It's also very hard jumping from the new series back to the classic series and can be a bit of a shock, but I would recommend to anyone they watch the first 25 minute episode 'An Unearthly Child' from 1963. It still holds up as a wonderful piece of television drama, and it is still relevant to the new series. May be something to track down and watch before the 50th anniversary special in November?

I've watched most of the 1st Doctor, some of the 4th Doctor, and all of the 9th and 10th Doctors. I watched the first season with Matt Smith, but the writing all around seemed off and not as appealing to me. Since I found out he will be regenerating soon, I decided to suck it up and watch all of him. A lot of ppl in my chat rooms will tell me I should give him another chance, if we get on the topic of DW.

I loved Torchwood! I wasn't so much interested when it came to the U.S., but I'd be willing to watch again if I can find the time.

A few friends made me start watching Doctor Who, starting with the 9th Doctor, and I think that was a much better segue into the rest of the series. Blink, while a good episode once you're invested in the show and can handle the weird shit that goes down, is not the best episode to start with. In fact, if these friends hadn't told me about the Blink episode before I watched the series, I probably would have started watching months earlier.

CharlotteLace said:
A few friends made me start watching Doctor Who, starting with the 9th Doctor, and I think that was a much better segue into the rest of the series. Blink, while a good episode once you're invested in the show and can handle the weird shit that goes down, is not the best episode to start with. In fact, if these friends hadn't told me about the Blink episode before I watched the series, I probably would have started watching months earlier.

That's so strange! "Blink" as an intro episode has never failed me as an intro to the show. I just introduced another member using that episode as a starting point, he had tried to get into the show a few times before and it just didn't grab him but after watching "Blink" said this (hope he doesn't mind me quoting him!):

"Well I see what all the fuss is about. Never having watched a full episode of Doctor Who before, I can't image you picking a better episode than Blink."

Had you ever watched an episode before Charlotte? I suppose that "Blink" has succeeded with people who have watched part of some episodes or just a couple of episodes and weren't pulled in. So maybe that's a thing! Sorry, I'm just super interested in your opinion/perspective.

Roxy! I have a friend who is really easily scared and we have been trying to put together a list of episodes that she might be able to watch. And for me none of it is really scary so I didn't realize it, but the number of episodes without some sort of creepy monster(s) are SUPER limited. We were pretty sad because I think the conclusion we came to was that Doctor Who just might NOT be for her. She'd have to miss out on like SO much story to watch what ends up being just a handful of episodes. Of course my friend is so easily scared it is hard for me to wrap my head around, your friend might not be so sensitive and so only the more intense episodes are scary? I also compiled a list of the episodes friendly for my friend, so maybe that'd be helpful? Though it's probably kind of useless if I don't know her, I'm sure you could put together something way, way better!

Reactions: CharlotteLace
KaterinaPryde said:
Eden01 said:
So the new Doctor will be announced in just a few hours...
I am on pins and needles!

I have a pretty intense hate for spoilers, and to be honest I dislike that BBC always lets us in on all of this so far in advance (I'm much happier being like MEGA surprised during a show), however I've had to really re-think a lot of things regarding spoilers due to my MFC career. It's impossible to avoid them and in my old mindset I would just turn into a grumpy jerk when people spoiled it for me SO I've decided this time I'm just going to go for it! I'd much rather enjoy the happiness and excitement of the wonderful Whovian community!

Excited to watch live in just about an hour!

KayleePond said:
KaterinaPryde said:
Eden01 said:
So the new Doctor will be announced in just a few hours...
I am on pins and needles!

I have a pretty intense hate for spoilers, and to be honest I dislike that BBC always lets us in on all of this so far in advance (I'm much happier being like MEGA surprised during a show), however I've had to really re-think a lot of things regarding spoilers due to my MFC career. It's impossible to avoid them and in my old mindset I would just turn into a grumpy jerk when people spoiled it for me SO I've decided this time I'm just going to go for it! I'd much rather enjoy the happiness and excitement of the wonderful Whovian community!

Excited to watch live in just about an hour!

I do agree with you, but since they already let out that Matt Smith is leaving, I am dying to know who will take over.

Reactions: KayleePond
KaterinaPryde said:
I do agree with you, but since they already let out that Matt Smith is leaving, I am dying to know who will take over.

Oh absolutely! You're totally right. I was WAY more upset that they told us he was leaving. I think it would've been so badass to just watch and have it happen. My mind would have been BLOWN. Them announcing the new one isn't as crazy considering the news that there would be a new Doctor.

Glad you're excited! ^.^ I wonder if it'll even be a name I know! :lol:

He was the father in the Pompeii episode on Doctor Who.

I actually kind of like him. While he lacks the youthful energy of Tennant or Smith, he makes up for in a dignified nobility.. I don't know, he really reminds me of Professor X from X-men. Not in looks, but in the wiser, been-there-done-that kind of way.

Edit to add: I wonder if they'll address him being in prior episodes, or if they'll just disregard the fact the same guy's been multiple characters. Twilight Zone did that a lot.

Edit 2: Just saw Kaylee's post. ;)

I hadn't seen Doctor Who prior to my friends telling me about "Blink." I usually like suspense and horror, but as I didn't think that was what Doctor Who was about, it was off-putting. I was prepared for more of a Star Trek or Warehouse 13 type of show, and less of an X-Files deal.

After avoiding it for months, I tried to watch an episode in the middle of the series. It was confusing because it was the one where an astronaut kills Matt Smith, and about 15 minutes in I was so lost that I gave up. After seeking help from my Whovian friends, I started with the Eccleston shows.

For me, that was the best route to take because it subtly introduced you to the weirder stuff. Had I watched "Blink" before everything else, I would have disliked the show for being so drastically far-fetched. So funny how people can react so differently to the same episode!

I'm not sure I like knowing who is going to be The Doctor.
I enjoyed being surprised by Matt Smith and David Tennant

is Clara staying on? does anyone know?

Crumb said:
I'm not sure I like knowing who is going to be The Doctor.
I enjoyed being surprised by Matt Smith and David Tennant

is Clara staying on? does anyone know?

I'm 100% with you! Not much that can be done though, I suppose!

Clara is indeed staying!

Charlotte! I totally agree, it is super cool to hear your perspective. I hope that I'm not coming off like a jerk, I think one of my favorite things about sci-fi and tv in general is how different people have different reactions so I really enjoy hearing your thoughts. If "Blink" was a bad start for you then there's certainly no arguing with it! Super cool to hear others' opinions and stories!

Reactions: CharlotteLace
KayleePond said:
I hope that I'm not coming off like a jerk, I think one of my favorite things about sci-fi and tv in general is how different people have different reactions so I really enjoy hearing your thoughts.

Absolutely agree with you! That's what's so great about sci-fi, there's so much that affects your perspective and can make things so different between two viewers! :) I loved hearing about the starkly different experience for you and your friends when it came to "Blink". You by no means came across as a jerk. How could I ever be mad at a fellow Whovian? :love3:

I don't really watch Doctor Who but I did watch the live reveal earlier. I like Capaldi. Although I doubt he's gonna be able to get away with using variations of the word "fuck" as punctuation in Who like he did in the Thick Of It.

I really didn't understand why they announced him becoming the next Doctor before the episode has aired though. Obviously, we live in a world where spoilers on the internet are commonplace but surely they could have taken some measures to avoid spoilers leaking as much as possible. I doubt it would be that hard to write into the contracts of the cast and crew a clause about leaking information. If they leak anything, they get fired/sued. And if something does get leaked, just deny it. You're never truly gonna eradicate leaks and spoilers but that would at least cut down on them and negate the need to reveal huge plot points on a live broadcast before anyone has a chance to watch the shows, ya know?

mynameisbob84 said:
I don't really watch Doctor Who but I did watch the live reveal earlier. I like Capaldi. Although I doubt he's gonna be able to get away with using variations of the word "fuck" as punctuation in Who like he did in the Thick Of It.

I really hope they dont use the F-word on Dr Who.....if they have in the past it wasnt very much. I would be sad because I like to watch Dr Who while my son is awake, unlike Tourchwood which I have to wait until he is asleep.

KaterinaPryde said:
mynameisbob84 said:

I really hope they dont use the F-word on Dr Who.....if they have in the past it wasnt very much. I would be sad because I like to watch Dr Who while my son is awake, unlike Tourchwood which I have to wait until he is asleep.

I can say with 99.9% certainty they won't be dropping any F-bombs on Doctor Who. In the UK, the show airs at 6pm (ish) so they wouldn't be allowed to anyway. Not unless they moved the show to post-watershed (after 9pm) but then they'd risk losing viewers. Which they wouldn't do. So I wouldn't worry about it :)

mynameisbob84 said:
KaterinaPryde said:
mynameisbob84 said:

I can say with 99.9% certainty they won't be dropping any F-bombs on Doctor Who. In the UK, the show airs at 6pm (ish) so they wouldn't be allowed to anyway. Not unless they moved the show to post-watershed (after 9pm) but then they'd risk losing viewers. Which they wouldn't do. So I wouldn't worry about it :)
Who has been family friendly since it began, they're not going to stop now.
they moved away from family friendly with Torchwood.

I've been lucky that I have liked every Doctor (classic and new series). I'm really happy with the choice and can't wait to see the direction the series will take with a more mature actor in the role!

Status
Not open for further replies.