AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How fast is your internet?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This got me wondering how fast my phone data speed is so I d/l'd the Speedtest.net app and I've been checking it.
My fastest download was 8693kbps
Fastest upload was 2015kbps
Ping 84ms
T-Mobile on an old Galaxy S

We finally got our new wireless router today so we can start using our new connection.
The contract we chose is a 50 mbps download and 5 mbps upload speed contract.
It took my mom and me hours to install the router today, and we were so happy when it finally worked.
On speedtest.net I get 7.25 mbps download (AWFUL) and 2.5 mbps upload (good compared to the 0.3 mbps I got before).

I'm only about 50 feet away from the router. In the living room, where the router and modem are, the download speed is 12 mbps. So still not even close to 50. I was expecting to get at least 30 mbps download (the guy from the ISP said he could 'promise' us 40), and now I get fucking 7.25. My brother who is as far away from the router as I am gets close to the same numbers that I do.

Simple websites load much faster than before, but I don't see a big difference loading YouTube videos, YouTube still automatically loads them at 240p like it does when it recognizes a slow connection. MFC rooms are still quite choppy.
I'm this close to losing it.

Is it possible that the speed gets better after using the new router for a while?
What can my family do to get closer to the promised 40 mbps?

LilyMarie said:
We finally got our new wireless router today so we can start using our new connection.
It took my mom and me hours to install the router today, and we were so happy when it finally worked.
On speedtest.net I get 7.25 mbps download (AWFUL) and 2.5 mbps upload (good compared to the 0.3 mbps I got before).

I'm only about 50 feet away from the router. In the living room, where the router and modem are, the download speed is 12 mbps. So still not even close to 50. I was expecting to get at least 30 mbps download (the guy from the ISP said he could 'promise' us 40), and now I get fucking 7.25. My brother who is as far away from the router as I am gets close to the same numbers that I do.

Raise a lil hell with them....call them to come out. It could be the modem or indeed maybe they lied. in any event, no need to wait bc it wont fix itself.

LilyMarie said:

Simple websites load much faster than before, but I don't see a big difference loading YouTube videos, YouTube still automatically loads them at 240p like it does when it recognizes a slow connection. MFC rooms are still quite choppy.

Is it possible that the speed gets better after using the new router for a while?

Try updating the firmware on the router itself. It could have been sitting in a store or warehouse for many months before you got it, and the manufacturer has most likely released a newer version of the router's internal software. It's usually on the product support section of their site.
It's remotely possible that it had buggy software from the factory. Either way, it's usually best to keep everything updated.
It's also possible that you have bad wiring in your building or neighbourhood.

Reactions: LilyMarie
Kradek said:
2441876454.png

Comcast business class.

SpeedTest20130405.png

This is a bit interesting because I have not upgraded my service since the last post. That's a fairly significant boost though. Maybe Google Fiber is being seen as a threat.

LilyMarie said:

it could be that your modem is outdated
this happened when the biggest provider over here decided to pump up the speed of their different packages
if people wouldn't notice, they didn't have to change the modem
if they did, they would send a new modem, because the old one couldn't reach the speed they promissed

did you get the router from the internet provider or did you buy it yourself?
there are different kind of routers, for different kinds of speed
so yeah, i think the solution is in the modem or router

The irony is that my internet went down the moment I tried to post this, lol.

The Internet speed in my area was just upgraded by Comcast. Comcast is upgrading the speeds in many areas and I think they intend to do it nationwide.

Comcast's Blast! Internet service was 25Mbps/4Mbps and was upgraded to 50Mbps/10Mbps.

This speedtest was from my hardwired desktop downstairs.

These speedtests are from my wireless laptop upstairs.

Not bad for a 100% FREE upgrade.

Attachments

• 238819962.png
    238819962.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 238895892.png
    238895892.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 2633062961.png
    2633062961.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 210

This country needs to fix its internet speeds, damn it.

LilyMarie said:

You could have a problem like mine...

My speed has "improved" to 45 up and 7 down. The catch is that my signal is so dirty that I'm getting insane packet loss. So I'm transferring a whole lot of garbage. But really quickly! Sigh. If you know how or can get your ISP to check you should look into your signal power and how much noise is on your line.

Comcast is coming out to hopefully run a new line for me on the 19th. Until then, doom. My cam feed looks rubbish even though the message at the bottom says I'm sending at 3+ Mb/s. Bah! So I can deal with that and probably kill my score a LOT more because no one who doesn't already know me is going to stick around and look at that... or I can just make zero dollars until the end of the month. And SM is not even a possibility at the moment. SOMAD.

Shaun__ said:
I have the fastest internet package available for my house, but it still looks so pitiful compared to a lot of the others in this thread. :crybaby:

sb3vV.jpg

I replaced my router with a different brand. Turns out cisco and my cable company did not like each other. Netgear works much better.

ENMGF3E.jpg

I've always gotten sketchy performance from comcast... Which is one of the many reasons I hate them. Recently (Over the last two weeks) I've started to experience a lot of lag on mfc so I started testing my connectivity speed. The range my speed falls in is pretty large

2659666201.png

2655386203.png

Running counterintuitively, the best results I've gotten so far was in the 21Mbs range while Netflix was running

Lintilla said:
LilyMarie said:

You could have a problem like mine...

My speed has "improved" to 45 up and 7 down. The catch is that my signal is so dirty that I'm getting insane packet loss. So I'm transferring a whole lot of garbage. But really quickly! Sigh. If you know how or can get your ISP to check you should look into your signal power and how much noise is on your line.

Comcast is coming out to hopefully run a new line for me on the 19th. Until then, doom. My cam feed looks rubbish even though the message at the bottom says I'm sending at 3+ Mb/s. Bah! So I can deal with that and probably kill my score a LOT more because no one who doesn't already know me is going to stick around and look at that... or I can just make zero dollars until the end of the month. And SM is not even a possibility at the moment. SOMAD.

It can also be a problem with YouTube. For the past few weeks I have had problems with YouTube videos always needing to cache, but have no problems on any other streaming video website. This was after Comcast doubled my upload and download speeds for free. It is possible it is a problem with your ISP as well. There are so many variables at work with internet connections it tends to be a hard thing to pin down.

Raw speed is only one variable in your overall performance. There's also the condition of your PC, and the hops between your destination and you.

For example, my service is a relatively modest 12/1.54 Mbps VDSL link on AT&T. When I use speedtest.net and let it pick the fastest server, I get my committed information rate. And when I test using an ISP in Seattle (where MFC has its colo), I still get close to my CIR. That said, it doesn't account for MFC's LAN, which can be a bottleneck, or the relatively low contention in my community at midday.

Later in the day, local contention becomes more of an issue as additional users start pumping bytes through my neighborhood's DSLAM. As a result, my IP throughput suffers in favor of providing smooth television. Also, usage patterns change in the evening as relatively light commercial use (web, hosted applications, e-mail) gives way to more bandwidth-intensive recreational use (Netflix, watching cam models, etc.)

Even equipment can be a factor. My MacBook air usually stays in a part of my home with several walls between the router and it. That made for a good bit of signal loss on 802.11n, and caused a lot of frozen cam feeds. I added an external Ethernet adapter. It helps, though I still get a little stuttering and delayed video. I can see a PM from a model arrive before I see her turn to the keyboard and type.

I would say a model's bandwidth needs are different from a perv's. A perv needs good downstream performance to get the feed from the cam host, especially if he's watching more than one room. A model needs more upstream throughput to ensure smooth source video.

Reactions: LadyLuna
Here we go again.

My mom recently bought a new router for our apartment, because the previous one was really old and we suspected it might be the reason we weren't getting anywhere near the 50 mbps we're paying for.
The new router is great! When sitting in the same room as the router, I'm getting up to 55 on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and 45 on my mom's 2012 netbook!
However on my 2010 laptop, I was still getting only about 5-10, even when in the same room as the router.

With the help from a friend, I figured out that this was because of the outdated wifi card that's built into my laptop. It's a 802.11h one. Today's standard is 802.11n. So that was why it couldn't achieve the same speed as my phone and the netbook.

I bought a new wireless adapter yesterday, one that has the current n standard (it's this one). The guy at the store recommended it because it's the same manufacturer as our new router.

So I installed it on my laptop. As a result I'm now getting 40-52 mbps, but only in the room where the router is!
However, in my bedroom, I'm STILL only getting 5-10. Kind of like how it was in my room before.

My bedroom is not that far from the living room where the router is. Maybe 50 feet. Even when I keep all doors open it doesn't make a difference, it's still slow.

So...
In the router room:

5gV0QSk.png

In my bedroom:

mHt8czg.png

Are there any tricks, anything I can do to get the speed in my bedroom closer to the one in the living room where the router is? Why is there such a huge difference between both?

TLDR
My internet speed in my room is a tenth of the awesome speed I get in the room with the router. What to do?

Reactions: JerryBoBerry
LilyMarie said:
Here we go again.

My mom recently bought a new router for our apartment, because the previous one was really old and we suspected it might be the reason we weren't getting anywhere near the 50 mbps we're paying for.
The new router is great! When sitting in the same room as the router, I'm getting up to 55 on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and 45 on my mom's 2012 netbook!
However on my 2010 laptop, I was still getting only about 5-10, even when in the same room as the router.

With the help from a friend, I figured out that this was because of the outdated wifi card that's built into my laptop. It's a 802.11h one. Today's standard is 802.11n. So that was why it couldn't achieve the same speed as my phone and the netbook.

I bought a new wireless adapter yesterday, one that has the current n standard (it's this one). The guy at the store recommended it because it's the same manufacturer as our new router.

So I installed it on my laptop. As a result I'm now getting 40-52 mbps, but only in the room where the router is!
However, in my bedroom, I'm STILL only getting 5-10. Kind of like how it was in my room before.

My bedroom is not that far from the living room where the router is. Maybe 50 feet. Even when I keep all doors open it doesn't make a difference, it's still slow.

So...
In the router room:

5gV0QSk.png

In my bedroom:

mHt8czg.png

Are there any tricks, anything I can do to get the speed in my bedroom closer to the one in the living room where the router is? Why is there such a huge difference between both?

TLDR
My internet speed in my room is a tenth of the awesome speed I get in the room with the router. What to do?

Hmm first thing that comes to mind is that the signal is getting chopped from the router to your room..well duh it has to be ( wasn't thinking straight). If you move your laptop in different areas of your bedroom does the signal get better or worse ?

Also if your pulling a wireless signal on your phone, laptop and your brother is doing the same then you have 4 or more devices all pulling that signal and doing it from far away. Not helping at all.

It could very well be the wireless router won't give you anymore then that in your home since it's doing so well in the same room but not farther away. Another thing I have found is my download speeds were being killed by my security software and settings etc... worth checking.

Let us know if it gets better or worse.

Mark6887 said:
Hmm first thing that comes to mind is that the signal is getting chopped from the router to your room..well duh it has to be ( wasn't thinking straight). If you move your laptop in different areas of your bedroom does the signal get better or worse ?
It doesn't change much. I've tried different places in my bedroom and it's always between 5 and 10. (It doesn't matter though, because I can only use my laptop at my desk either way. Moving my furniture around is not an option. :/)

Also if your pulling a wireless signal on your phone, laptop and your brother is doing the same then you have 4 or more devices all pulling that signal and doing it from far away. Not helping at all.
The speed is the same when I have the wifi on my phone switched off and when no other family members are online. It doesn't make a difference. :(

It could very well be the wireless router won't give you anymore then that in your home since it's doing so well in the same room but not farther away. Another thing I have found is my download speeds were being killed by my security software and settings etc... worth checking.

I don't really understand that first sentence? What do you mean? :think:
I don't have any security software installed. When I'm doing a speed test, I make sure that's the only tab that's opened, and I'm pretty sure I'm not running other software that's using up bandwidth - I always close Spotify before, for example.

LilyMarie said:
Mark6887 said:
It doesn't change much. I've tried different places in my bedroom and it's always between 5 and 10. (It doesn't matter though, because I can only use my laptop at my desk either way. Moving my furniture around is not an option. :/)

The speed is the same when I have the wifi on my phone switched off and when no other family members are online. It doesn't make a difference. :(

I don't really understand that first sentence? What do you mean? :think:
I don't have any security software installed. When I'm doing a speed test, I make sure that's the only tab that's opened, and I'm pretty sure I'm not running other software that's using up bandwidth - I always close Spotify before, for example.

OK it sure sounds like the router isn't going to give you anymore signal strength in that room. Here is great article that explains it better then my babble LOL. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372811,00.asp

LilyMarie said:
Here we go again.

So...
In the router room:

5gV0QSk.png

In my bedroom:

mHt8czg.png

TLDR

There are a few things that can help to improve signal.

Just like in real-estate, location, location, location.
So if you have the router against an outside wall the opposite side of the house/apartment/etc will not be getting as good a signal. Distance matters. It is typically a better option to try and place the router in the center of the area you want it to cover so that it distributes the signal as evenly as possible.

Next would be if you have lots of electrical in between such as a kitchen between the router and your laptop you can get some interference from items such as microwaves and the like. Less common, but I have seen it happen.

Last thing I would check is typically routers have a channel that they run on. By default most use channel 6. If you are in an apartment complex or condo with lots of people around each with their own WiFi router then often times signals clash and can interfere with strength and amount of data they can handle. Depending on what channel everybody is at around you, you might be able to change the channel on your router to 1 or 13 and maybe get an improved data throughput.

If you have an android smart phone you might consider getting Wifi Analyzer app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... i.analyzer ) which can help you to determine what other router signals you might be competing with, and what channel they are on. If you are in your room and the next door neighbor's signal strength is stronger than yours and on the same channel you can get enough interference that might explain the slow speeds.

Those are a few things to check. Let me know if I can help more.

Lurkn

Reactions: eclipse76
Thoughts:
It won't make a difference for camming, as your upload speed isn't affected and your ping is still awesome.
Unless you're downloading a lot of files from very fast servers, it won't make a difference there, either. You have more than enough bandwidth for HD streamed content.

The fact that your upload speed isn't degraded suggests, well, I'm not sure what, but it's weird that it's not affected at all when your download bandwidth is reduced by 90%.

Oh yeah, and get that app Lurkntroll mentioned. It's great. You'll need to download the Wifi Connector Library to go with it.

Stahlfaust said:
Sevrin said:
I'm not sure what, but it's weird that it's not affected at all when your download bandwidth is reduced by 90%.
Not at all!
Her upload speed is limited by her provider. Her upload speed directly to the router is much higher than 2.48mbit/s but it's the upload internet connection which is slow.
Lily's upload speed is also limited by her provider, too. Only one of them is degraded by moving to a different room.

Sevrin said:
Stahlfaust said:
Sevrin said:
I'm not sure what, but it's weird that it's not affected at all when your download bandwidth is reduced by 90%.
Not at all!
Her upload speed is limited by her provider. Her upload speed directly to the router is much higher than 2.48mbit/s but it's the upload internet connection which is slow.
Lily's upload speed is also limited by her provider, too. Only one of them is degraded by moving to a different room.
Yeah, I didn't get his response either :dontknow:

Stahlfaust said:
I'm sorry...
Maybe this image will explain what I meant... her upload speed is reduced, too. But it's still higher than her upload speed to the internet.
c45JOZA.png

Maybe I am an idiot (very possible), but if the upload speed is 2.5 in BOTH rooms, how is
Stahlfaust said:
her upload speed is reduced, too

And I think you "swag"ed the numbers on the left side of the diagram. 300 mbit/s is the theorectical highest transmit speed of the router. But I could be wrong ;)

schlmoe said:
Maybe I am an idiot (very possible), but if the upload speed is 2.5 in BOTH rooms, how is
Stahlfaust said:
her upload speed is reduced, too
*sigh* Do you really want to know?
There are two connections...
Her laptop connects to the local network.
Her Router connects to the internet.
The bandwidth to the local network is reduced in her room. Download AND upload. So if she has another computer (for example a shared folder from her brother) or file server in the local network she could upload to this machine with only 5.5mbit/s.

schlmoe said:
And I think you "swag"ed the numbers on the left side of the diagram. 300 mbit/s is the theorectical highest transmit speed of the router. But I could be wrong ;)
Of course, I don't know her bandwidth in the local network. But if you checked her connection speed in the local network you could tell me and I'll correct the image. I just chose the numbers because in this case they are unimportant.

Status
Not open for further replies.