AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Laptop Security

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2020
Australia
One of the models I visit regularly had her laptop in for repairs recently, and realised afterwards that all of her camming-related stuff was accessible to the computer shop staff.
She did not have any startup/logon or HD password protection on the laptop (but does now) and there was a lot of OBS recordings on it as well as all her camsites (bookmarked in browser) and media content sites etc.
She has since changed all her site login info, and has 2-step authentication, but is more concerned from a doxing/outing point of view now. Anyone who accessed the hard drive could have found out in 30 seconds flat what she uses it for, and what sites/usernames she broadcasts on. And the repair shop knows all of her details, name, phone number, address.........

Just thought I'd share that here, in case any of you could be similarly exposed, and ask if you take any additional precautions to keep your device(s) secure?

Last edited:
  • Helpful!
Reactions: MarieElise
Couple of quick suggestions -

Ensure all your data is stored under your user profile (Desktop/Documents etc) and create a secondary account that does not have administrator rights (for the computer shop to use);
BitLocker encrypt your hard drive (best if you have a TPM chip/option installed) - so even removing the drive they can't access the files on it;
Consider the use of an external drive option (USB or a network storage device) for all cam related file storage of media - also good for backup purposes too;
Always, always, always (can not stress this enough), use 2-step authentication on EVERYTHING and never use the same password twice - get a password manager that has a master password to open it (Eg Keeppass, Bitwarden, there are heaps around).

Couple of quick suggestions -

Ensure all your data is stored under your user profile (Desktop/Documents etc) and create a secondary account that does not have administrator rights (for the computer shop to use);
BitLocker encrypt your hard drive (best if you have a TPM chip/option installed) - so even removing the drive they can't access the files on it;
Consider the use of an external drive option (USB or a network storage device) for all cam related file storage of media - also good for backup purposes too;
Always, always, always (can not stress this enough), use 2-step authentication on EVERYTHING and never use the same password twice - get a password manager that has a master password to open it (Eg Keeppass, Bitwarden, there are heaps around).
Thanks! I've referred her to this thread, very useful

Reactions: jekster
i save all my camming stuff on an external harddrive that's plugged in at all times. that way if i need ever to take my pc somewhere for repairs all i have to do is unplug it, clear my browser cache, and im gucci.

if its my phone, make sure i have all my videos and photos saved to a cloud. delete, and clear browser cache.

A note, unless you have bitlocker setup and are encrypting the disk, even without giving them any password, one can boot a laptop into a number of ivecd/liveusb boot image and read everything on the HD without even removing it from the laptop. it is only the whole disk encryption/bitlocker that prevents livecd/liveusb from being able to see the files.

• Helpful!
Reactions: rockin_rod
Status
Not open for further replies.