AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Lighting - tips, tricks, links, etc.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
I know a pro setup isn't in financial reach of everyone, but I can vouch for the value it adds to your camming and video work. I have switched to Kino Flo lights in the last year and will never go back to anything else. The quality of my work has improved dramatically just by getting better lights.

I use a set of 2 lights, each 4' with 4 bulbs. They come in a hard-side travel case. The pair, with bulbs, was about $3400. Yup. Not a typo. Crazy expensive. These are the creme de la creme, and I use them for shooting clips with my 4k camera as well as camming. They do well for commercial photography as well - fill in every hollow and wrinkle so your skin looks marvelous.

Again, not in everyone's reach, but pro lights are worth the investment if you can make it. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you for sharing.Did you see any financial benefit and improvement with those lights regarding camming?

Learning day by day I’m telling you amazon is my best friend!! I found my light on their for 50$ it’s a studio light and is very bright they have lights in their for cheap I also have in my bedroom LED lights and was 20$ For a 32in cord. People love the red and blue lighting! For a cam I got the Logitech C920S HD webcam and it’s great and clear and only 50$ could be better but it’s not a 4K camera but isn’t blurry. Only super expensive thing I’ve gone through with camming is paying Internet has to be fast and the best for the best results!

Reactions: Lady_Sha
Learning day by day I’m telling you amazon is my best friend!! I found my light on their for 50$ it’s a studio light and is very bright

Can you share the manufacturer and model of the studio light you like? Or maybe just link the Amazon page?

Can you share the manufacturer and model of the studio light you like? Or maybe just link the Amazon page?
If you go to amazon and look up ring light this is what I have and it does wonders and it’s so bright and under 50$

Attachments

• D88F2884-AE7D-47D0-AA86-E3BF31A73185.png
    D88F2884-AE7D-47D0-AA86-E3BF31A73185.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Hey! Just wanted to check'in and say one thing that helped me THE MOST regarding Lightning - I moved my desk so I can face the windows when I stream! I have NO idea why it took me almost a year before I've done this haha... thought maybe some of you are also not realizing how important pure natural daylight is. Now I only use my lights IF it's very cloudy or if I stream at night.

And the way my body looks when it's sunny outside is amazing!! I'm a slut for the Sun!:cat:

Oh, one more trick regarding this, you might need a light under your desk to light up from beneath when it's cloudy outside.

Hey! Just wanted to check'in and say one thing that helped me THE MOST regarding Lightning - I moved my desk so I can face the windows when I stream! I have NO idea why it took me almost a year before I've done this haha... thought maybe some of you are also not realizing how important pure natural daylight is. Now I only use my lights IF it's very cloudy or if I stream at night.

And the way my body looks when it's sunny outside is amazing!! I'm a slut for the Sun!:cat:

Oh, one more trick regarding this, you might need a light under your desk to light up from beneath when it's cloudy outside.

My bed faces a massive floor to ceiling north facing window. I look aaaamazing, haha. If only I cammed during the day! I do shoot videos during the day in order to take advantage of it.

Started camming recently. I live with older people who have no sense of privacy so I have to be discreet, which means I'm camming in my computer room late night/early morning in the dark. Currently using an old iPad Mini (with iVCam and OBS) which aside from being grainy does an OK job with only the monitor for light.

I just bought a Logitech C922 Pro. It will be mounted on the top of the monitor or on my desk on the small tripod for flashes. During the day and at night with my single wide beam spotlight on it looks great, but that's not an option when camming because it's bright enough to seep into the hallway and hot enough to make me sweat in summer. Having never used a webcam before I was shocked to discover that it's almost pitch black with the light off! Raising all the settings like Exposure, Low Light Compensation, Contrast, Gain etc. isn't helping because it just makes everything look washed out and adds so much lag the stream looks awful.

I need enough light for my face and body to be clearly visible but not so bright it will escape my room. It seems like the best idea is light behind the webcam or on the desk to illuminate me but it's not my house so I can't wall-mount and I don't have much spare desk space. Would one of those 3 bulb Boston floor lamps in front of the bookcase with Soft White LED bulbs do the trick? Would they need to be diffused? How big is the base on those things? Keep in mind I'm on a strict budget.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Img_1781.jpgImg_1780.jpg

Low light cameras tend to be expensive.

There are a few off brand usb web cams that claim to be low light.
But I haven't seen any models use any of these cameras.
The sample shots, the colors doesn't look great.

I need enough light for my face and body to be clearly visible but not so bright it will escape my room.

Could you use a door cover or Draft Blocker to block out the light?

It seems like the best idea is light behind the webcam or on the desk to illuminate me but it's not my house so I can't wall-mount and I don't have much spare desk space. Would one of those 3 bulb Boston floor lamps in front of the bookcase with Soft White LED bulbs do the trick? Would they need to be diffused? How big is the base on those things? Keep in mind I'm on a strict budget.

Did you see the lighting setup amber is using?
https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/threads/lighting-tips-tricks-links-etc.19567/#post-561538

You need to have a three point lighting to be able to make your picture come through clearly.
Since you already have a natural light source (during the day) that can act as fill light.

For night time, you may need to have a curtain if you don’t close the blinds, but having curtains will help block out any potential peeping toms. You’ll still need the three point lighting though. The best type of lighting for this is diffused lighting which you can achieve with soft box lighting. Setting up string lights in the background can also, be helpful for backlighting. A three bulb lamp maybe best for the key light.

Soft box lighting kit:

AD549546-3D9F-4C4F-8AA5-0BC7B9CEC5CD.jpeg

Reactions: thinkinboutit
Started camming recently. I live with older people who have no sense of privacy so I have to be discreet, which means I'm camming in my computer room late night/early morning in the dark. Currently using an old iPad Mini (with iVCam and OBS) which aside from being grainy does an OK job with only the monitor for light.

I just bought a Logitech C922 Pro. It will be mounted on the top of the monitor or on my desk on the small tripod for flashes. During the day and at night with my single wide beam spotlight on it looks great, but that's not an option when camming because it's bright enough to seep into the hallway and hot enough to make me sweat in summer. Having never used a webcam before I was shocked to discover that it's almost pitch black with the light off! Raising all the settings like Exposure, Low Light Compensation, Contrast, Gain etc. isn't helping because it just makes everything look washed out and adds so much lag the stream looks awful.

I need enough light for my face and body to be clearly visible but not so bright it will escape my room. It seems like the best idea is light behind the webcam or on the desk to illuminate me but it's not my house so I can't wall-mount and I don't have much spare desk space. Would one of those 3 bulb Boston floor lamps in front of the bookcase with Soft White LED bulbs do the trick? Would they need to be diffused? How big is the base on those things? Keep in mind I'm on a strict budget.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

View attachment 85139View attachment 85140
Put your desktop tower on the floor to the left of the desk, get a small paper lamp for the desk where it was, and the 3 light standing lamp you mentioned on the floor between your desk and the window, with the bulbs pointed in whatever fashion they need to be to light you properly.

Example of small paper lamp

Does anyone have suggestions for camming in very cramped spaces? I have one small ringlight and a paper floor lamp, but even that is taking up a lot of space. I need at least one more light :arghh:

Does anyone have suggestions for camming in very cramped spaces? I have one small ringlight and a paper floor lamp, but even that is taking up a lot of space. I need at least one more light :arghh:
Have you tried string lights or taking led rope? I live in a studio and I have to say that the led rope lights are some of the best. I paid for roughly $50 for two 16ft led ropes. I have them up on the lined in the ceiling, around my mirror, and lined on the floor to help with fill light and back light. I’m also a big fan of string light curtains since they make use of wall space.

Have you tried string lights or taking led rope? I live in a studio and I have to say that the led rope lights are some of the best. I paid for roughly $50 for two 16ft led ropes. I have them up on the lined in the ceiling, around my mirror, and lined on the floor to help with fill light and back light. I’m also a big fan of string light curtains since they make use of wall space.

Thats a great idea! I cam in my bedroom (roommates) and I could put a string of rope light behind my bed for a back light maybe. I had fairy lights for a bit but they didn't give much light and felt a bit college-y.

Reactions: englishmuffins
Thats a great idea! I cam in my bedroom (roommates) and I could put a string of rope light behind my bed for a back light maybe. I had fairy lights for a bit but they didn't give much light and felt a bit college-y.
You could put bright led lights behind your ring light, that’ll will help provide some ambient lighting While the rope lighting behind the bed can act as backlighting and the floor lamp as fill lighting.

• Helpful!
You could put bright led lights behind your ring light, that’ll will help provide some ambient lighting While the rope lighting behind the bed can act as backlighting and the floor lamp as fill lighting.

Checking amazon now!

I live and work in the same space, how amazing would it be to have the whole setup in smart LEDs and just switch work mode/life mode from my phone. Someday when I have money/time I'll get it set up.

Reactions: englishmuffins
Checking amazon now!

I live and work in the same space, how amazing would it be to have the whole setup in smart LEDs and just switch work mode/life mode from my phone. Someday when I have money/time I'll get it set up.
GOALS!!!! Living in 500 sq ft studio makes it hard to cam so I totally get camming in a small cramped area.

These are the LED ropes that I use and I love them! Just note that they are super sticky when you peel off the backing.

Thanks for the suggestions. That ZEEFO lamp does look nice but I'm reluctant to change my desk setup and the tower on the floor would block the cupboard door. I think I'll start by replacing my 60w wide angle incandescent bulb with the app-controlled Phillips Hue White Ambient bulb. The angle of the spotlight enclosure is pretty good for the webcam and monitor (and I can adjust it), I just need the bulb to be dimmer and controllable. I can always add more lights later if needed.

Thanks for the suggestions. That ZEEFO lamp does look nice but I'm reluctant to change my desk setup and the tower on the floor would block the cupboard door. I think I'll start by replacing my 60w wide angle incandescent bulb with the app-controlled Phillips Hue White Ambient bulb. The angle of the spotlight enclosure is pretty good for the webcam and monitor (and I can adjust it), I just need the bulb to be dimmer and controllable. I can always add more lights later if needed.
In your image there's nothing that the PC tower would block if you put it next to your desk. If you actually want better lighting, don't forget to LISTEN to those of us who have a lot of years in this business. :)

VERY VERY FEW people who 1. play video games 2. stream live cam have their tower ON TOP of the desk. It isn't practical. Move it to the floor, please! Same with your audio subwoofer.

You need more desk space. Put stuff down below and run longer cables to it.

In your image there's nothing that the PC tower would block if you put it next to your desk. If you actually want better lighting, don't forget to LISTEN to those of us who have a lot of years in this business. :)

VERY VERY FEW people who 1. play video games 2. stream live cam have their tower ON TOP of the desk. It isn't practical. Move it to the floor, please! Same with your audio subwoofer.

You need more desk space. Put stuff down below and run longer cables to it.

I will definitely consider all suggestions. I'm very resistant to change and OCD about where all my stuff is in my computer room and bedroom. Had the same setup for many years. I need to make changes gradually for the sake of my sanity :)

Well, this thread motivated me to finally declutter my computer room starting with the desk behind me. Next up is to clean and move the eyesore of a bookcase out of view.

As for putting the PC Case on the carpeted floor, that's a big no-no. Fire hazard, too much dust and bad airflow if you have fans at the bottom of the case like I do. I am looking into other options to move it off my desk... maybe something like this.

I replaced my incandescent bulb with a Phillips Hue White Ambiance today which I can control via blutooth on my ipad. I absolutely love it. I can dim it to 30% or less at night while providing just enough light for the C922 to look good. Obviously more light would give me an even better quality stream but discretion is more important because I don't want my housemates finding out I'm camming.

Last edited:
Well, this thread motivated me to finally declutter my computer room starting with the desk behind me. Next up is to clean and move the eyesore of a bookcase out of view.

As for putting the PC Case on the carpeted floor, that's a big no-no. Fire hazard, too much dust and bad airflow if you have fans at the bottom of the case like I do. I am looking into other options to move it off my desk... maybe something like this.

I replaced my incandescent bulb with a Phillips Hue White Ambiance today which I can control via blutooth on my ipad. I absolutely love it. I can dim it to 30% or less at night while providing just enough light for the C922 to look good. Obviously more light would give me an even better quality stream but discretion is more important because I don't want my housemates finding out I'm camming.

The link is dead so couldn't follow it.

Nothing wrong with a bookcase behind you, I think as long as it's well organized it can add to the design and flow of the room. Better than blank walls or just posters/pictures behind a model.

You can put the case on the floor. Instead of sitting on carpet, get a slat of wood 1" x 8", or piece of plywood cut to size so it doesn't sit directly on the carpet. When I used to have towers, that's what I did. Though, I did shut it down once a month and vacuum out dust using compressed air to blow the dirt off and a vacuum to capture it. But, that should be done at regular intervals anyway.

Reactions: mike_aussie
The link is dead so couldn't follow it.

Nothing wrong with a bookcase behind you, I think as long as it's well organized it can add to the design and flow of the room. Better than blank walls or just posters/pictures behind a model.

You can put the case on the floor. Instead of sitting on carpet, get a slat of wood 1" x 8", or piece of plywood cut to size so it doesn't sit directly on the carpet. When I used to have towers, that's what I did. Though, I did shut it down once a month and vacuum out dust using compressed air to blow the dirt off and a vacuum to capture it. But, that should be done at regular intervals anyway.

The link was to the Kantek Mobile CPU Stand on Amazon. Another one is the IOCrest CPU Stand. Better airflow than placing the case on a flat surface. My PC is built for gaming and it gets really hot in summer in Australia but most people wouldn't need to worry too much about that and could place it on a low table or DIY slat.

The link was to the Kantek Mobile CPU Stand on Amazon. Another one is the IOCrest CPU Stand. Better airflow than placing the case on a flat surface. My PC is built for gaming and it gets really hot in summer in Australia but most people wouldn't need to worry too much about that and could place it on a low table or DIY slat.

I haven't used a tower in well over 8 years now as I don't do heavy gaming anymore. The last tower system I had, there were no fans that drew cool air up directly from the bottom, they (four of them) were mounted low on the front panel, then two on the rear just below the power supply for really good airflow. Even under extreme gaming, with no A/C in hot weather it kept things humming along. It really depends on where your air is coming into, and out of your case. If yours is coming directly from the bottom, then it makes sense to use the stands you listed. Or, build something out of scrap wood.

Since I don't game much anymore, my primary system is a Dell XPS 15 laptop, which I do use a Zalman notebook cooler for a base and my secondary system is a Dell micro-pc as a Linux server. Far cry from small data center I had years ago in my basement.

I haven't used a tower in well over 8 years now as I don't do heavy gaming anymore. The last tower system I had, there were no fans that drew cool air up directly from the bottom, they (four of them) were mounted low on the front panel, then two on the rear just below the power supply for really good airflow. Even under extreme gaming, with no A/C in hot weather it kept things humming along. It really depends on where your air is coming into, and out of your case. If yours is coming directly from the bottom, then it makes sense to use the stands you listed. Or, build something out of scrap wood.

Since I don't game much anymore, my primary system is a Dell XPS 15 laptop, which I do use a Zalman notebook cooler for a base and my secondary system is a Dell micro-pc as a Linux server. Far cry from small data center I had years ago in my basement.

My PC is about 9 years old with an overclocked CPU. I've been adding custom fans (wherever I could fit them) and SSD drives and changing the graphics card every 2 years. Even with customized fans it's a dust magnet. It runs pretty cool most of the time but when the temperature gets to 35c-40c in summer it can get pretty hot.

I'm saving up to buy a whole new PC and monitor next year. This time I'm doing my research to make sure the case and cooling setup are good from the start so dust and heat aren't an issue.

My PC is about 9 years old with an overclocked CPU. I've been adding custom fans (wherever I could fit them) and SSD drives and changing the graphics card every 2 years. Even with customized fans it's a dust magnet. It runs pretty cool most of the time but when the temperature gets to 35c-40c in summer it can get pretty hot.

I'm saving up to buy a whole new PC and monitor next year. This time I'm doing my research to make sure the case and cooling setup are good from the start so dust and heat aren't an issue.

Unfortunately, dust will always be an issue unless you filter the incoming air. But, then you're going to have to maintain the filter frequently or else it gets very hot. My laptop and cooling platform are on my desk, and I clean them every two months. If heat is an issue, I'd recommend going with liquid cooled and getting a room A/C just to drop it a few degrees.

I just think getting your tower off your desk is going to benefit you more for cleaning up space, better lighting and less distraction. Depending on what you plan on doing, not having that big block there will free up real estate on your desk for other things.

Reactions: mike_aussie
Unfortunately, dust will always be an issue unless you filter the incoming air. But, then you're going to have to maintain the filter frequently or else it gets very hot. My laptop and cooling platform are on my desk, and I clean them every two months. If heat is an issue, I'd recommend going with liquid cooled and getting a room A/C just to drop it a few degrees.

I just think getting your tower off your desk is going to benefit you more for cleaning up space, better lighting and less distraction. Depending on what you plan on doing, not having that big block there will free up real estate on your desk for other things.

I would love to have liquid cooling but I'm afraid of a leak damaging $1000s worth of hardware. I usually put my own PCs together but I guess I could pay for a professional to put it together to make sure it's done right. Prices a bit high on PC hardware right now so I've got plenty of time to research.