AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Lighting - tips, tricks, links, etc.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Started camming recently. I live with older people who have no sense of privacy so I have to be discreet, which means I'm camming in my computer room late night/early morning in the dark. Currently using an old iPad Mini (with iVCam and OBS) which aside from being grainy does an OK job with only the monitor for light.

I just bought a Logitech C922 Pro. It will be mounted on the top of the monitor or on my desk on the small tripod for flashes. During the day and at night with my single wide beam spotlight on it looks great, but that's not an option when camming because it's bright enough to seep into the hallway and hot enough to make me sweat in summer. Having never used a webcam before I was shocked to discover that it's almost pitch black with the light off! Raising all the settings like Exposure, Low Light Compensation, Contrast, Gain etc. isn't helping because it just makes everything look washed out and adds so much lag the stream looks awful.

I need enough light for my face and body to be clearly visible but not so bright it will escape my room. It seems like the best idea is light behind the webcam or on the desk to illuminate me but it's not my house so I can't wall-mount and I don't have much spare desk space. Would one of those 3 bulb Boston floor lamps in front of the bookcase with Soft White LED bulbs do the trick? Would they need to be diffused? How big is the base on those things? Keep in mind I'm on a strict budget.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

View attachment 85139View attachment 85140

I LOVE THIS DESK!!! OMG so in love with it.

Reactions: mike_aussie
Looking orange on cam but not in person?

Two words.
WHITE WALLS

I looked like an oompa loompa for a week without knowing it until going back in my recordings.

I prefer to tweak my lighting to how I prefer it then touch it up to look more natural with the webcam settings.

Holy crap there's a lot of info here. I'm just about to try to convert my small walk in closet into a shooting space and I'm absolutely lost at how to decorate, but at least I'll have lighting covered 😄

I started camming like two weeks ago. I use a LED ring light (18") where the webcam is placed in the middle. It was not even a hundred bucks on amazon and I'm very satisfied with it! It gives a very homogenous beauty light and keeps shadows in the face to a minimum. I put on small table lights in the back to light up my background a bit.

Color advice for more advanced OBS users: use LUTs! It's what professional film makers use in post production, to give the movie a certain color look, like the greenish tint in "Matrix" for example.
You can load a LUT on your camera in OBS by right clicking on your camera in your sources menu, go on "filters" and add the LUT from your library. You can download more LUTs into your library and use them. It gives a more movie like look. I went with one that boosts my oranges and teals and I love it so far!

Color advice for more advanced OBS users: use LUTs! It's what professional film makers use in post production, to give the movie a certain color look, like the greenish tint in "Matrix" for example.
You can load a LUT on your camera in OBS by right clicking on your camera in your sources menu, go on "filters" and add the LUT from your library. You can download more LUTs into your library and use them. It gives a more movie like look. I went with one that boosts my oranges and teals and I love it so far!

I recently made my own LUTs for this reason. I took a screenshot of my stream in OBS, put it into Adobe Premiere, and edited the contrast, saturation, and exposure to my liking like I would a normal video. I then exported the LUT which you can then combine with the OBS "original" LUT file on photoshop and apply it to stream. I'll probably mess around with colour grading when I get the time later, tho I'm happy with how my stream looks now.

If you want to be even extra you could stream in log, half, or other profiles of you use a DSLR/mirrorless camera as long as you have the right corrective LUTs

I recently made my own LUTs for this reason. I took a screenshot of my stream in OBS, put it into Adobe Premiere, and edited the contrast, saturation, and exposure to my liking like I would a normal video. I then exported the LUT which you can then combine with the OBS "original" LUT file on photoshop and apply it to stream. I'll probably mess around with colour grading when I get the time later, tho I'm happy with how my stream looks now.

If you want to be even extra you could stream in log, half, or other profiles of you use a DSLR/mirrorless camera as long as you have the right corrective LUTs

That's an interesting approach I never thought of! I will try that out, thank you!

I used to have umbrella professional lights, and they are actually pretty cheap on amazon. However, they are a pain in the ass to take down/put up repeatedly if you don't want your cam room to look like a cam room in your off time. They are also bulky and a pain in the ass if you like to move all around the room. Plus, if you aren't a professional photographer they are kinda hard to explain if someone finds them. I much prefer the lights Amber and Rose mentioned because it's much easier to just turn it off and on and not have to worry about it beyond that.
I agree with you 100% !!!!

Fellow models:

Currently my whole place is this warm-oatmeal-beige color. Its too dark and depressing, plus it creates a yellow cast on webcam.
What kind of paint color do you like in your space? I need something brighter!

Currently my whole place is this warm-oatmeal-beige color. Its too dark and depressing, plus it creates a yellow cast on webcam.
I made the mistake of using a similar color when I first moved into this new house:
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 10.57.33 AM.png
Quickly realized it was no good! Went back to my old trusty greenish greyish blue:
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 10.58.45 AM.png

Much better!

I made the mistake of using a similar color when I first moved into this new house:
View attachment 85832
Quickly realized it was no good! Went back to my old trusty greenish greyish blue:
View attachment 85833

Much better!

I love the new background lights! Did you get them on amazon?

I like the wall color too. Mine is grey also, but a little lighter.

I love the new background lights! Did you get them on amazon?
These might have been from Target but they carry these sort of lights everywhere. I have my speakers on the shelfs of them so the music pumps toward my mic.

• Helpful!
Reactions: KylieJacobs
Reactions: thinkinboutit
These might have been from Target but they carry these sort of lights everywhere. I have my speakers on the shelfs of them so the music pumps toward my mic.
Thank you! I need to get some new ones.

Def leaning toward a cool or true neutral off white. I WISH I could do an olive accent wall but it wouldn't work with my skin 😭
If I do go with a colored wall, Amber has me on board for a slate color now!

(yes, this is a bathroom, but the vibe tho)

olivewall.jpgaccent-for-blue-grey-walls-light-tan-gray-best-color-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KylieJacobs
I'm gonna have to bump this thread, because I've been hearing a lot of talk about these ringlights that cam models love. I've never had these before. Are they easy to set up? I've been using the same five-head floor lamp from Target for years. Haha. Since I just got my stimulus, I was able to place an order for a Logitech Brio webcam which should arrive on Friday.

I've seen some cam rooms that are so gorgeous, though, with pink lights or whatever (I'm obsessed with the color pink). Like some of these rooms really look like a real sexy party room/strip club, which is awesome.

Reactions: thinkinboutit
I'm gonna have to bump this thread, because I've been hearing a lot of talk about these ringlights that cam models love. I've never had these before. Are they easy to set up? I've been using the same five-head floor lamp from Target for years. Haha. Since I just got my stimulus, I was able to place an order for a Logitech Brio webcam which should arrive on Friday.

I've seen some cam rooms that are so gorgeous, though, with pink lights or whatever (I'm obsessed with the color pink). Like some of these rooms really look like a real sexy party room/strip club, which is awesome.

I don't have much to add, but just an FYI for when you're shopping:

The mini clip-to-your-desk style "ring" lights you see all over amazon don't have the same effect. They work great for fill, but they are too small and direct to act as a ring light or even as a key light IMO. I have a couple that I'll swapping them out soon.

From what I've seen it's kinda expensive to get a ringlight that's decently large and provides a good amount of light. I think you would be better off getting a softbox or two which would likely be cheaper, give you more overall light, and allow you to play around with your lighting to create different looks. Ringlights on the other hand, at least in the way most people use them, tend to create a relatively flat look.

From what I've seen it's kinda expensive to get a ringlight that's decently large and provides a good amount of light. I think you would be better off getting a softbox or two which would likely be cheaper, give you more overall light, and allow you to play around with your lighting to create different looks. Ringlights on the other hand, at least in the way most people use them, tend to create a relatively flat look.

Thank you. I really like those lamps that Amber has in an above post (Post #283), but this bed that I was just given (It's firmly in place in its current spot, and it's not a bed that can be moved easily) is in a spot next to the wall where I'd be unable to put one lamp on each side (two lamps) the way Amber has in her photo.

Would a softbox placed at the foot of my bed be good, without needing to buy additional things? Right now I just have one of those Target floor lamps with the five heads, and that's at the foot of my bed. My Logitech Brio webcam is arriving today also.

Is a softbox kit easy enough to set up?

Thank you. I really like those lamps that Amber has in an above post (Post #283), but this bed that I was just given (It's firmly in place in its current spot, and it's not a bed that can be moved easily) is in a spot next to the wall where I'd be unable to put one lamp on each side (two lamps) the way Amber has in her photo.

Would a softbox placed at the foot of my bed be good, without needing to buy additional things? Right now I just have one of those Target floor lamps with the five heads, and that's at the foot of my bed. My Logitech Brio webcam is arriving today also.

Is a softbox kit easy enough to set up?

Softboxes are relatively easy to setup and that would be perfectly fine. If you only plan on using 1 softbox I'd try to find the largest one you can reasonably fit in your space, and also a decently bright bulb. I recommend a corn light at 60W +

Yes, I have three softboxes. However you might want to consider getting LED panels, they are becoming relatively affordable and takes up less space, taking down and putting up the softboxes becomes a bit of a chore if you are doing it every day.
Panels are still relatively expensive compared to softboxes, and they tend to emit harsher light as their diffusion panels are usually placed very close to the LEDs. Of course you can add some extra diffusion further away but that will either cost money, or involve some DIY.

• Helpful!
Reactions: yummybrownfox
Also, speaking of walls, I'm looking at these stunning photos online of bedrooms with wall decor of stars (I LOVE stars!), the moon, and clouds, and I'm stunned right now. I need something like this in my room! At least on the wall that's behind me on cam. That would look so nice with the dark blue bed sheet (or the black one) I just bought today from Walmart. That plus this new Logitech Brio webcam that just arrived today, and hopefully a new good light that I don't have to go completely broke over...this is gonna be so pretty.

Reactions: EvaRomania
Softboxes are relatively easy to setup and that would be perfectly fine. If you only plan on using 1 softbox I'd try to find the largest one you can reasonably fit in your space, and also a decently bright bulb. I recommend a corn light at 60W +

So if I were to get this set (Comes with 50W bulbs), you still recommend I get 60W corn lights separately to use instead of the ones that come with it?

Last edited:

So if I were to get this set (Comes with 50W bulbs), you still recommend I get 60W corn lights separately to use instead of the ones that come with it?

Oh, I was assuming you were going for one light, which is where you'd want a brighter bulb, but 50W is perfectly fine if you are getting a set with 2 lights

Oh, I was assuming you were going for one light, which is where you'd want a brighter bulb, but 50W is perfectly fine if you are getting a set with 2 lights

This one is $20 cheaper, and comes with 85W bulbs.

Thanks again for all of your help in this thread!

Reactions: Nigerian Prince