AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

MFC: Give up the ghost. (or, my message to cam models…

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These kinds of posts are so depressing. I mean seriously lets face it, though camming does come with a LOT of emotional stress, especially once you've been doing it for a while, it's easy money. So many girls seem to think "hey I'll jump on cam and everyone will throw their income at me!" it's just an unrealistic attitude all round.

Myfreecams is hard. Life is hard. There will ALWAYS be people in life who are more successful than you. Imagine it similar to acting or the music industry, so many talented people aren't even making wages when there are others who are earning millions. Yes of course it's often unfair, some have better publicity from the start, many are in the right place at the right time, but it is life. I agree that for most girls no they will probably never end up in the top 20/top 100 monthly. Maybe they'll manage to get in there for a month or two due to a large amount of special effort on their part, but that's what it is- effort! Most models aren't willing to put that sort of effort in.

I understand that it's frustrating, but getting so depressed and negative about it is just an immature response. You can't spend your life consuming yourself over the people who have more than you. On myfreecams it's particularly hard because they're on the same site and you can see them doing so well, but you've just got to imagine they're not even in the same trade as you and remember for most of them a lot of hard work went into their position.

I mean fair enough saying that most models won't make the top 100, top 100 is like $14k a month, it's a LOT of money, but comparing "you won't make $14k a month!" to "you won't make $50 this month" is ludicrous.

That comment was so bizarre, "you probably won't make $50 this pay period". Who was that directed to? I mean if you log in once a pay period and then give up ok. I know some girls make zero but I mean even if it's super slow and your cam score isn't high, $50 a pay period really isn't that outrageous an amount to make.... Or is it? :?

XxXIndiXxX said:
That comment was so bizarre, "you probably won't make $50 this pay period". Who was that directed to? I mean if you log in once a pay period and then give up ok. I know some girls make zero but I mean even if it's super slow and your cam score isn't high, $50 a pay period really isn't that outrageous an amount to make.... Or is it? :?

Considering I'm rarely on MFC, but can manage to make in the neighborhood of $17 if I hop on for an hour or two, with my camscore in the 300-400 range, $50 in a pay period sounds pretty achievable - if I were to be on MFC regularly, I would achieve that easily!

mynameisbob84 said:
The more I read of this person's tumblr, the more I come to realise they're not somebody I ever want to spend any time in the company of. :?
Except she uses rather aggressive and condescending tone, she sounds like your average white American girl?

eclipse76 said:
mynameisbob84 said:
The more I read of this person's tumblr, the more I come to realise they're not somebody I ever want to spend any time in the company of. :?
Except she uses rather aggressive and condescending tone, she sounds like your average white American girl?

I'd be lying if I said I knew very many white American girls but wouldn't like to generalise, innit.

Reactions: XxXIndiXxX
NataliaGrey said:
red_ember said:
eclipse76 said:
JickyJuly said:
ETA: She was a high earning model. Obvs she meant 400 dollars.
Wait, really? But that's rather good as far as camming goes :shock: Why would you whine if you're making that kind of money? It's a bit outrageous. :shock:

she isnt whining about making that kind of money, she is using the anecdote to farther prove her feels about the mfc camscore system.

But why care about camscore when you're making that kind of money?

Trust me, I get how the whims of camscore can drive a girl to madness, but you would think writing out a sentence like that would give you the time to reflect and put it in perspective. This isn't something she thought while having a bad night, an emotional reaction to seeing it drop. This is a well thought out review of her time on MFC, so it sounds to me like she cared more about her camscore than money. I also don't understand why you would be livid at a mathematical formula. It makes logical sense if you know how it works.

If MFC or any other camsite doesn't work for you, of course you should switch it up! Maybe if it were written with less bitterness people would receive it better.
I don't think it's fair to judge her for continuing to track her camscore when she was making good money. I'm sure there are plenty of girls with scores far exceeding the norm that feel upset to see it drop. Numbers, for some people, feel like facts. It's easy to put too much stock in them. On top of that, for someone who maybe isn't built for the competitive nature of a site like MFC, a camscore is easy to connect to self worth. She had to be pretty young when she was on MFC as she's young now. For the wrong person, youth + the ability to measure yourself by a number and compare yourself to others by that number + fluctuating earnings = potential disaster.

Jasper really is super duper sweet and had only the best intentions underneath the initial vibe of gripey bitterness. As much as disliked her post I've also got to jump in before everyone starts tearing her to shreds, especially without ever having spent any time with her. She has come under a lot of fire and I can only imagine her tumblr is full of hostility and defensiveness right now... but if you were receiving hundreds of attacks in a single day do you think you might come off a little more abrasive?

Please understand when judging her that she is only a human being, and is opt to emotions as much as the rest of us.

In regards to the camscore/earnings. The forum is my life saver, and knowing the science and numbers behind it from here has made my overall understanding SO much greater... but let's not forget the importance of the camscore and how not knowing a huge drop was coming could be devastating even if you try really hard to not let it be.

MFC is a competitive market but if you aren't thinking in the long term all the time you will get washed away, It's a long term system. Camscore can determine how your financial future as a model will go, so 400/hr or not... if the camscore drops 1000 points that means you may not make enough to pay your bills NEXT week. Her frustration was that even though she did great, it negatively impacted her financial future... and I don't care what anyone says, camscore IS important if you want to make a long term career out of MFC. Don't obsess about it but IMO it's unwise to completely ignore it.

TL;DR Jasper is super nice and just wanted to encourage girls, be nice to her. Camscore is important and it's not wise to pretend it's not, IMO.

Camscore has some importance (maybe 20% at most) out of all things that makes models successful.
I know you can get top 100 with a 3-4k camscore. I did it, I know plenty of girls that have done it too.
I also know there's a model in the top 20 (almost top 10) with a camscore in the 6k range. She was also number 1 and 2 before and her camscore hasn't been higher than 14k.
If these women are getting results it proves that hard work can pay off and it's not all about luck.
I agree with many of you that mfc is a long term business. You won't get results right away but if you keep trying hard enough consistently you can get there.

I have no idea who this girl is, never seen her on cam so the only opinion I have of her is from this post. The post is negative and miss-informative. If someone is only netting $50 a paycheque with a 5-3k camscore (seeing it from mycamgirl.net) shows that they haven't utilized the best of their abilities and shouldn't have the right to call mfc a "ghost site"
It's cool that she decided to switch sites. Mfc is not the only way to camming but just because she wasn't happy with it doesn't mean it should be labeled as a "ghost site".

Kickaz said:
I also know there's a model in the top 20 (almost top 10) with a camscore in the 6k range. She was also number 1 and 2 before and her camscore hasn't been higher than 14k.

I know who you're talking about, that girl is a proper trooper! She literally works every single day, often like 10 hours+. Her camscore really wasn't that high, around the 4k-5k mark and she was in the top 20 a while back, and I think her score was even lower for a while and she was making top 100.

Like you say, MFC is what you make it. Since starting on myfreecams I've always been up and down with how much I've actually worked. I've earned a decent wage and have had a decent score but it's never been crazy. I decided to spend a month working my arse off and I finished top 100 and reaped the benefits. Even then I only worked 30 hours a week (with only 3 days off during the month). I couldn't handle the amount of time and work some girls consistently put in, but if I did then I could be making top 200 on a monthly basis. It's my choice that I am not doing that, not the site's fault.

I don't know who the model is, but I know that a lot of models and perhaps members feel the same way about myfreecams. Unfortunately camming is inconsistent income, just like almost any self employed job is. Not everyone is cut out for self employment.

Let's be honest. MFC is not just what you put into it. It's what you put into compared with what ALL the other gorgeous women around you are putting into it at the exact same moment. Camscore is a direct reflection of that, and therefore, damn important. A site like Streamate is what you put into it. Over there, if you invest in good equipment and continue showing up, you will likely better your time to money ratio. On MFC, everything you do today affects your tomorrow via camscore.

She said she was upset that her score dropped 1k after a great earning day. A 1k drop means that in those 60 days she averaged $20 an hour less. If her score fell from 4000 to 3000, that's 25% less income. A lot of people foolishly adjust their living expenses to match their earnings as soon as they are doing well. Making 1/4 less than usual could be devastating. Then, you add hours to make up the difference and the score continues to fall. It wouldn't take long for a 4k girl to drop to 2k this way. The traffic difference between 4k and 2k is extreme.

I'm not saying any of this makes MFC bad. For the girls who can balance camscore, hours and financial need while maintaining their happiness, there's great money to be made. But, pretending that balance is easy or unimportant is silly. It's what sets MFC apart from other sites.

JoleneBrody said:
Jasper really is super duper sweet and had only the best intentions underneath the initial vibe of gripey bitterness. As much as disliked her post I've also got to jump in before everyone starts tearing her to shreds, especially without ever having spent any time with her. She has come under a lot of fire and I can only imagine her tumblr is full of hostility and defensiveness right now... but if you were receiving hundreds of attacks in a single day do you think you might come off a little more abrasive?

Please understand when judging her that she is only a human being, and is opt to emotions as much as the rest of us.

You're right, yo. It's probably not fair to judge a person based on one tumblr post and the subsequent defence of said tumblr post. While that post painted a pretty unflattering picture, it won't hurt me to give her the benefit of the doubt, and for all I know, outside of that one post, she might eat awesomesauce for breakfast.

JickyJuly said:
Let's be honest. MFC is not just what you put into it. It's what you put into compared with what ALL the other gorgeous women around you are putting into it at the exact same moment. Camscore is a direct reflection of that, and therefore, damn important. A site like Streamate is what you put into it. Over there, if you invest in good equipment and continue showing up, you will likely better your time to money ratio. On MFC, everything you do today affects your tomorrow via camscore.

She said she was upset that her score dropped 1k after a great earning day. A 1k drop means that in those 60 days she averaged $20 an hour less. If her score fell from 4000 to 3000, that's 25% less income. A lot of people foolishly adjust their living expenses to match their earnings as soon as they are doing well. Making 1/4 less than usual could be devastating. Then, you add hours to make up the difference and the score continues to fall. It wouldn't take long for a 4k girl to drop to 2k this way. The traffic difference between 4k and 2k is extreme.

I'm not saying any of this makes MFC bad. For the girls who can balance camscore, hours and financial need while maintaining their happiness, there's great money to be made. But, pretending that balance is easy or unimportant is silly. It's what sets MFC apart from other sites.

Exactly.
If you/need want more money, on most other site like SM or Chaturabate if you work harder OR work smarter you will do it.
On MFC you have work harder AND work smarter OR get lucky by having a whale or two come into your room, and tip bomb you, making your rent and increasing your camscore.
Nor is there any magic formula what working smarter means: for some its iPod raffles for others it selling skype shows for 200 or 300 tokens or zillion other ideas which work for some models but not for most.

Let's also be honest a 4K camscore is in the top 3 or 4%, and the vast majority of the 37,000 models well never see anything like it.
Even the so called average camscore of 1,000 is higher than 77% of the models have. A 1K camscore model who works 25 hours a week (which seems to be the upper limit of hours on cam over a 6 month period) is make $500-550 a week, add Amazon gifts,skype, custom videos and such $25K-30K/year. A living wage for much of the US but hardly great money, although good money in many other countries

On the other hand 1/2 of the models on the site have a camscore below 550. That is less than $11-$12, by the time you factor in the expenses of camming, having to pay double payrolls taxes this isn't much over minimum wage. It is a struggle to make over the poverty level wages for the 1/2 models on MFC.

I quite liked this part of Jasper rant. Plus I am always happy to hear a girl make it on CB, MFC needs competition in the social camming space. The rest of her post not so much.
Too long didn’t read: if MFC isn’t working for you, it’s ok to give up on it. It doesn’t mean you’re a shitty cam girl and it doesn’t mean that you can’t make money camming. Stop letting a high-profitting business punish you for not being a “popular” girl. There are other cam sites out there, and just because they’re different doesn’t mean you won’t be wildly successful. Make that money!

This to me, is a very positive and important message. Almost all of the models that I know who have switched from MFC to another site beat themselves up, "I am lazy, I put on too much weight, I should be more creative", even though they are very successful models at some other camsite.

It is like a black man in the 1950s beating himself up because he didn't get into Harvard, and "only" graduated at the top of his class at Howard university (a top historically black college). The systems is rigged against black men in the 50s and low cam score models on MFC. Get pissed at the system not at yourself.

Being a successful cam model on MFC is about how many hours you work and the effort you put into your job. Having a very high cam score just means the model averages more money per hour online then the models with lower cam scores.

Having a high cam score can actually be more negative then positive as it puts added pressure on the model to earn high every shift. The higher your cam score goes the more tokens a model has to average each hour online which can be very stressful for the model to maintain. If the model has a bad shift their cam score can drop 1000s.

There're plenty of models on MFC with only 1500 to 2000 cam scores that can make $1000 per week, no model needs to be ranked in the top 100 with a 10,000 cam score to earn amazing money on MFC. These lower ranked models simply work 30 to 40 hour weeks and can make serious amounts of money. If you're a model making $20 per hour and you want to earn more money just work more hours (It's that simple).

MFCforever said:
Being a successful cam model on MFC is about how many hours you work and the effort you put into your job. Having a very high cam score just means the model averages more money per hour online then the models with lower cam scores.

Having a high cam score can actually be more negative then positive as it puts added pressure on the model to earn high every shift. The higher your cam score goes the more tokens a model has to average each hour online which can be very stressful for the model to maintain. If the model has a bad shift their cam score can drop 1000s.

There're plenty of models on MFC with only 1500 to 2000 cam scores that can make $1000 per week, no model needs to be ranked in the top 100 with a 10,000 cam score to earn amazing money on MFC. These lower ranked models simply work 30 to 40 hour weeks and can make serious amounts of money. If you're a model making $20 per hour and you want to earn more money just work more hours (It's that simple).
That's the actual beauty of it. Even at lower camscores, the money is still wonderful and you can have fun while earning it. I know at some point my level of success will dwindle a bit. I know when that time comes, it may be hard to adjust to having to work more hours to get the same income (which is what I believe happened to the OP) but I hope I can take a step back and look at the bigger picture and see that I'll still be making great hourly wages while enjoying my job. Snap judgments and hurt feelings that things just aren't as easy anymore may lead a person to blame the cam site, but it's just the ebb and flow and we've gotta roll with it.

I'm glad that the OP found what she was looking for in a new site, and I do think that was her ultimate point in the post. If MFC isn't working the way you want it to, then try something else and move away from MFC. No biggie. :) If you don't want to leave MFC, try to adjust to the status quo and appreciate it for what it is: a job that still pays better than working a simple retail or restaurant job, and allows you a lot of freedoms you won't find elsewhere.

This thread prompted me to ask what the average wage in the US is. Of course that depends on who you ask, but the link below seemed to be a pretty good source. The average wage in 2012 was $42,498.21, which is a little over $20/hr if you are working fulltime. The median wage is $27,519.10.

So, if you are working as a camgirl making the equivalent to a $20/hr fulltime job (which seems to be pretty doable from the model comments in the thread), you are at the average wage and you are making considerably more than 50% of the country makes. So, you know, perspective and all that.

Source for da numbers.
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/central.html

MFCforever said:

I'm defiinitely one of those lower ranked models... and while I dont have the camscore I desire, I do make the money I was dreaming of a year ago. Me, its about the hours, efforts and creativity I put in. Eventually it'll pay off "camscore wise"

I'm not one of the fit dream girls, and I really believe MFC is more about the personality than how "hot you are".. its how relationships in real life WORKS, same w MFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.